Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

DQOTD: How Strict Is Your Course(s) re: Foursomes?

There was a time when foursomes were mandatory at any decent course, but that seems to have relaxed at all but the top tier courses? We are not playing top tier courses, all public courses in the mid range cost wise. [We go to bucket list courses 2-3 times a year and we make sure we have two foursomes.]

We play away once a week on Wednesdays, and we scramble to get two foursomes together many weeks. We seem to have about 12 regular players, but we've given preference to the original 8, so the other 4 don't feel any obligation to the group (understandably as they're always on the bubble). The "other" four changes periodically, as they don't have right of first refusal. Getting up to, or down to 8, is the most daunting part of organizing every week - the part of organizing we all detest. This is how we've operated since last June. Call this "core 8." I don't think it's the best approach

We could have a weekly rotating list, and ask everyone who wants in, and take the top 8 - but that will leave someone out most weeks, including those who core 8 who currently have right of first refusal . It's equitable but not necessarily low friction. Call this "equitable."

It occurs to me to the most equitable AND low friction approach is to just ask all 12, and don't exclude anyone unless we have less than 7 - we'd agree to skip those weeks. Any number from 7 to 12 we'd just make 2-3 tee times and go. 8 and 12 are great but won't happen every week. If we get 7, we make two tee times, and play a foursome and a threesome. If we get 10, we make three tee times, and play a foursome and two threesomes. You get the drift for 9 & 11. Call this "low friction and equitable."

In the latter case, we'd still look for subs to fill out foursomes, but we wouldn't stress over it - we certainly have up to this point, considering foursomes mandatory.

So would we get pushback from courses if we adopt the "low friction and equitable" model in your opinion? I don't want to deliberately take advantage of the courses we play, but we have more than 12 courses we play in rotation so we wouldn't be taking advantage anywhere week after week. We can't be the only ones to face this weekly dilemma...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
2 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

Weekday or weekend? On a weekday I don't know of a course in my area (Cincinnati) that would have a problem. Weekend it would be only a couple, and frankly those are known for having an overall attitude problem. 

Great point, I've edited the original post - Wednesdays...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I guess the answer depends on if you care if a random single gets inserted in to the group?  Also best course of action would probably be ask the course when you make the tee times, even if it's a rotation of 12 courses if it's a place you play with any frequency you don't want to be that guy.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Salt Lake Courses tend to get pretty packed on weekends and most of the day weekdays. As a result, group size is one of the few things that's consistently enforced at almost every course. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

18 minutes ago, MNUte said:

Salt Lake Courses tend to get pretty packed on weekends and most of the day weekdays. As a result, group size is one of the few things that's consistently enforced at almost every course. 

Same in Utah County. I get that they want the most revenue an that is the best business move for them to make.  As to your name, MN = Minnesota?

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

6 hours ago, Titleist87 said:

Same in Utah County. I get that they want the most revenue an that is the best business move for them to make.  As to your name, MN = Minnesota?

Well done! Yep, born in Minnie then moved out to Utah years ago for college. 

And yeah, there are some great courses in Utah County, but it's often not worth it cause they pack you like sardines. Last two times I played down there, at least four groups got backed up behind two really bad and slow groups who wouldn't let people play through. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 1 month later...