TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maximizing equipment

revkev

Hi all, wasn't quite sure where to put this one and it may not get that much play but it has been on my mind of late and is relevant at the start of the season for many.  I've worked very hard over the past few years on my fitness primarily for life as I'm aging but certainly also for my golf game.  Between over speed training, Physical Therapy and strength training I have added a good deal to my swing speed - from 84 to 94 with the driver and finally it seems to be locked in.  What I mean by that is I can skip the overspeed training for a few weeks or even a month and it will still be there.  Additionally with things settled my swing has settled.  When I watch it on video I'm generally happy with what I see.

Based on that there are three equipment areas that need to be addressed based upon ARCOSS and Rapsodo numbers.  

1.  Driver distance - at 94 I should be averaging between 225 and 230 yards of carry - I'm not and I think it's because I don't have the driver totally dialed in.  I may not need a new driver, it might be getting a fitter to find the proper head setting but I need to get this dialed in - my current driving averages is low 220's - get that to over 230 and I can shave some strokes off the handicap.  Get it to 240 - tough but possible - and I can get back down close to scratch with playing, practice time.

2.  210-220 yards - the longest wood that I have confidence with is 5 wood.  I've added some distance to that from 180-195 to 190-205.  I'm hitting the ball well right now.  There should be some 3 wood head/shaft combo out there with enough tech in it that I can hit the thing 215 off the turf - I had that distance twice the other day and hit a grounder once - (great lay up) and laid up the other time because there was a trap in the way that I didn't want to bounce the ball into.  Two pars rather than a par and a birdie if I had a 215 club.

3.  165 yards - I have a huge hole at what should be 6 iron.  My shallow AoA makes this truly a problematic number - when the planets align and I hit my 6 iron it  launches at 18 degrees and carries a bit over 160 - perfect - I carry 7 iron 148 and 5 wood 172 so that's just where that club needs to be for me - but I can't have a club at that distance which is a 50/50 proposition.  11 wood is out 🙂  So I either need a thicker soled iron (I do have the regular D7 but there's too much offset IMO) or a hybrid in that slot.  I have two older hybrids at home that I will try as I don't hit the Ping 410 well at all. 

My two new wedges are working out great at the bottom of my bag - I used to game 3 wedges there, learned from ARCOSS that I was terrible with one and now have the gaps figured out nicely.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

10 minutes ago, revkev said:

3.  165 yards - I have a huge hole at what should be 6 iron.  My shallow AoA makes this truly a problematic number - when the planets align and I hit my 6 iron it  launches at 18 degrees and carries a bit over 160 - perfect - I carry 7 iron 148 and 5 wood 172 so that's just where that club needs to be for me - but I can't have a club at that distance which is a 50/50 proposition.  11 wood is out 🙂  So I either need a thicker soled iron (I do have the regular D7 but there's too much offset IMO) or a hybrid in that slot.  I have two older hybrids at home that I will try as I don't hit the Ping 410 well at all. 

The shallower your AoA is, the better you will do with thinner soled irons.

Check out this video from TXG.  Average swing speed older gentleman getting fit into irons.  Shallow AoA similar to you 

This is a difficult question to answer as there are so many variables. Why are you losing distance? Could be a number of things but unless you know swing details it really is hard to answer.

Driver - where to you hit it on the face, what is launch angle, what is AoA, what is spin? All of
Those influence distance. Not saying to chase numbers but as you tweak the variable the numbers move up and down.

6 iron - same type of questions. Also, since you la I confidence are you swinging with a committed swing or are you trying to control the ball with a less than full out swing? I see this when I am doing most wanted sessions. I want to make a good swing but get less than ideal results if I don’t swing like I can. Seems to mess up the timing and sequencing.

No real insightful answer but there are lots If unknowns with what you are asking.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is a difficult question to answer as there are so many variables. Why are you losing distance? Could be a number of things but unless you know swing details it really is hard to answer.

Driver - where to you hit it on the face, what is launch angle, what is AoA, what is spin? All of
Those influence distance. Not saying to chase numbers but as you tweak the variable the numbers move up and down.

6 iron - same type of questions. Also, since you la I confidence are you swinging with a committed swing or are you trying to control the ball with a less than full out swing? I see this when I am doing most wanted sessions. I want to make a good swing but get less than ideal results if I don’t swing like I can. Seems to mess up the timing and sequencing.

No real insightful answer but there are lots If unknowns with what you are asking.

Yep - these are all considerations - But so is the amount of practice time and if there’s an easy equipment fix to the 165 shot I’m grabbing it. Likewise at three wood. I want to go for a driver fitting to see what’s up there.

As to the AoA thin soles irons comment earlier I appreciate it but this is far from my first rodeo and I’ve been fit plenty enough times to know that I do better with thicker sole and more loft as I move into the middle of the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

18 minutes ago, revkev said:

Yep - these are all considerations - But so is the amount of practice time and if there’s an easy equipment fix to the 165 shot I’m grabbing it. Likewise at three wood. I want to go for a driver fitting to see what’s up there.

Yep.   Easy equipment fix for the 165 would be to use 5 instead of 6 🤣

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For a player of your caliber I'm guessing this is mostly a "thinking out loud" post to talk through the decision process 🙂

I'm guessing that's a typo in point 3 where you say 5w is a 172 carry, guessing that should be 9w?  Have you tried choking down a couple inches with a 3/4 swing to take off 5 yds?  I've had good luck with that over the past year once I committed to it.

For the top end I'm guessing you just need to get on a monitor and tinker.  I'm assuming you've already tried the 3w that matches the rest of your woods?  Maybe even a 4w (or 3hl) could be an option?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

10 hours ago, revkev said:

As to the AoA thin soles irons comment earlier I appreciate it but this is far from my first rodeo and I’ve been fit plenty enough times to know that I do better with thicker sole and more loft as I move into the middle of the bag.

A fitting for hybrid or high lofted fw to help get the 165 distance and get some height to help hold greens could be the “easy fix”

some considerations for the 3wood would be to get something like a sim2 3hl or other brands 4wood in 16.5 degree. Possibly even play an additional 5w but with a 3w length shaft. I’ve done this with my m5 5w and first time I tried it was with a ping fitting for the top end of my bag to fit gapping. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For a player of your caliber I'm guessing this is mostly a "thinking out loud" post to talk through the decision process
I'm guessing that's a typo in point 3 where you say 5w is a 172 carry, guessing that should be 9w?  Have you tried choking down a couple inches with a 3/4 swing to take off 5 yds?  I've had good luck with that over the past year once I committed to it.
For the top end I'm guessing you just need to get on a monitor and tinker.  I'm assuming you've already tried the 3w that matches the rest of your woods?  Maybe even a 4w (or 3hl) could be an option?

Yes that’s 9 wood hckymeyer - always great to hear from you and you are correct I’m sort of talking out loud but truly appreciate the feedback I’m receiving.
Functionally I do use 9 wood in that gap but it’s a bit risky especially down wind.

And @csnoil very funny, but I have tried that - I actually carry 7,6,5 iron just about the same distance so no real help there - the last time I tried a 5 iron, during the D7 forged test, I was 20 yards longer with the 9 wood.

I have tried the 3 G410 3 wood and did not hit it well. However I did not have the opportunity to monkey with the loft. 3 wood shaft length with about 16.5 might be a way to go for me. Good thought

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

For the 3/4 wood, while I got good speed numbers from both regular Mavrik and the Max, I went with the Max because of the lower edge has helped my poor turf contact. Also liked the higher spin numbers I got. 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

4 hours ago, revkev said:

And @csnoil very funny, but I have tried that - I actually carry 7,6,5 iron just about the same distance so no real help there - the last time I tried a 5 iron, during the D7 forged test, I was 20 yards longer with the 9 wood.

I have tried the 3 G410 3 wood and did not hit it well. However I did not have the opportunity to monkey with the loft. 3 wood shaft length with about 16.5 might be a way to go for me. Good thought

Didn’t think about it but this post jogged the mind. Using something in the GI category or even players distance one could work took. Would just need to determine which loft(s) you would need. 

As an example the d7 6i could be the gap filler. Maybe something like p790, apex non pro, t200 or t300 as some other examples

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

My fairway woods are now 4 years old(Cobra King F8’s) But I adjusted the 3W from 14.5* to 16* and the 5W from 18* to 20*. Now I hit them just as far but with more loft and consistently straighter. I guess they are now 4W & 6W!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 4/12/2021 at 9:59 AM, jlukes said:

The shallower your AoA is, the better you will do with thinner soled irons.

Check out this video from TXG.  Average swing speed older gentleman getting fit into irons.  Shallow AoA similar to you 

Attachment? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 4/12/2021 at 6:49 PM, revkev said:

As one who has played thicker PE2 and G410 soles for 35 years, I sure hope my most recent fitting rodeo, and move to the ZX5's, dosen't end up with your findings 😬.  One of the fitters told me he thought the wider soles were actually a disadvantage for me. 

In answer to your questions, a good many of us simply must account for the Father Time factor.  I cannot tell you how many of the senior snowbirds I play with who comment about distance loss.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

All great thoughts - and of course father time is hard at work here - first it was the 2 iron gone for the 5 wood in my 30's.  Then it was the 3 iron gone for 7 wood in my 40's, 4 iron for hybrid in my 50's so here I sit broken hearted tried to... Oh wait not going there but that's a product of age, also. 🙂

Part of my current issue is that I have pushed back against age a bit - hitting 60 weight 210, driver SS 85.  Hitting 65 weight 170 average driver SS 93.  So based on the discussion here and elsewhere I went deep into the closet and found an old SLDR HL 3 wood hiding there.  I'm going to take that bad boy to the range Saturday morning along with my old Nicklaus 5 hybrid which of course has the loft of a current 6 hybrid.  Its nearly 20 years old so it has a stiff shaft but that may be good - I will see.

I had considered a bridge 6 iron - I do have the regular D7 6 as well as the Ping G30 6.  I know that the D7 has way too much offset - I hit all of those clubs left, all the time but throwing the G30 back in for that gap is a possibility, too.

in the meantime I shot 73 yesterday so it's not like my game is suffering terribly - I just know that the big gap between 7 iron and 9 wood is an issue - I only had one shot in that gap yesterday and of course I decided to step on a 7 into the wind - cost me shooting even. 😞

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

All great thoughts - and of course father time is hard at work here - first it was the 2 iron gone for the 5 wood in my 30's.  Then it was the 3 iron gone for 7 wood in my 40's, 4 iron for hybrid in my 50's so here I sit broken hearted tried to... Oh wait not going there but that's a product of age, also. 🙂

But the cold hard truth to this sequence is that we'd have been better off had todays 5w's and 7w's been in the bag way back then 🙂.  Oh sure, nothing says "I got game" like pulling the 2i and shaping one around the trees on a dogleg left, but I can say with complete confidence my 2i was a 50% proposition at best and I absolutely love pulling my G400 5w.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

For the driver get fitted for a shaft. The shaft makes more difference than most will admit. I was looking for a 3 wood and settled in for a Callaway Mavrik Max 13.5 degree. It launches like a 15 degree with more carry.

I was for driver - nothing wrong with the shaft - I have 2 great driver heads and a large enough possible combination of loft, weight settings that it requires a good trackman session to dial in the right one. I hit a couple of drives over 250 yesterday and averaged 231 which tells me that much of my perceived driver issues are Florida/sea level, wet turf related. Dry weather for a month equals 15 more yards. Those yards will disappear by the end of May though.

If we are ranking this - the 165 yard gap is a huge issue that needs to be resolved. 3 wood is a wish that is obtainable with a combo of equipment and practice. Picking up much more with driver is a pipe dream.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The real answer is just don’t leave yourself a 165 yard shot

For the 3w...I used to play with a guy a few years ago that carried a 5w in a 3w shaft....the lasted swing speed and extra loft meant that he hit that thing a mile high but it just carried forever!! Great thing was he was able to stop it on greens very easily.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Okay had a wonderful range session today. Really hit the SLDR 3HL well both off the tee and the turf. It earned itself a test run for real.

Hit 7 iron great then tried two different hybrids as well as 6 iron and 9 wood - I was hitting all of those shots into the wind which is very unfair to the 9 wood.

At any rate it was very close between the 6 iron and one of the hybrids as to which I hit better but I wasn’t thrilled with the performance of either -

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Hit 7 iron great then tried two different hybrids as well as 6 iron and 9 wood - I was hitting all of those shots into the wind which is very unfair to the 9 wood.

At any rate it was very close between the 6 iron and one of the hybrids as to which I hit better but I wasn’t thrilled with the performance of either -

Interesting that you struggle at that spot in the bag.    Just thinking outside the box, I struggle with clubs longer than 6 which is why I switch to hybrids.   But as part of most wanted testing we have to hit 5 irons and to hit them well I need to switch my swing up a little bit and hit a fade.  This gives me a little more spin and a little more height.   Just wondering if maybe hitting the 9 wood as more of a cut shot might give you that distance.  

I was listening the the most recent hack it out podcast; which was about club fitting, and from what I recall (could be old age creeping in) Crossfield was talking about how he uses a single club for a fairly large gap and uses the swing to fill the gap.  Whether is it hitting a different shape or choking down to get that distance.    

Just a suggestion for you to try.  

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I was listening the the most recent hack it out podcast; which was about club fitting, and from what I recall (could be old age creeping in) Crossfield was talking about how he uses a single club for a fairly large gap and uses the swing to fill the gap.  Whether is it hitting a different shape or choking down to get that distance.    

I listened to that one as well. Crossfield does have an interesting setup. Only carries a 52 and 58 wedges. Two pitching wedges since he is playing ZX4s and that wedge is strong. This allows him to overlap the top of his bag with hybrids. He has a 22, 19, and 16 hybrid and a three wood. Basically so he feels like he has two shots for each distance. He was also sharing that he feels more amateurs should have overlapping clubs at the top where they struggle the most. Interesting theory there.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 4/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, fozcycle said:

My fairway woods are now 4 years old(Cobra King F8’s) But I adjusted the 3W from 14.5* to 16* and the 5W from 18* to 20*. Now I hit them just as far but with more loft and consistently straighter. I guess they are now 4W & 6W!

LOL I guess you can call them any thing you want to. Today lofts and club designations are all over the chart---- The standard I go by on loft is the old Taylor Made V-steels The 7 wood is 21* and the 9 wood is 24* respectively. Now that last Generation Adams I play I call a 4 wood because it is 16* but today I think it was a TEE 3 wood with 3 wood and 16* right on the side and bottom.  Now on your designation i would call it a 7 wood plus at 20*.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

22 hours ago, cnosil said:

Interesting that you struggle at that spot in the bag.    Just thinking outside the box, I struggle with clubs longer than 6 which is why I switch to hybrids.   But as part of most wanted testing we have to hit 5 irons and to hit them well I need to switch my swing up a little bit and hit a fade.  This gives me a little more spin and a little more height.   Just wondering if maybe hitting the 9 wood as more of a cut shot might give you that distance.  

As I wrote earlier I've been doing this functionally for a while - I will hit 6 iron on par 3 but I'm not keen on hitting it off the turf, at all, so its either force a 7 iron (down wind) or try to grip down on a 9 wood and hope into the wind - I could cut a 5 iron so now you having me wondering about that as a solution.  I would not dare rely on a cut 9 wood to fill a gap - that's a prescription for hitting a ball in someone's back yard three fairways over to the left.

I'm going to try my G30 6 iron on the range if weather allows this week.  That might be the answer - I don't like the regular D7 6 iron at all.  I hit the D7 forged 6 better than it.  In the end this could be something as simple as more practice with the 6 iron. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

2 hours ago, revkev said:

As I wrote earlier I've been doing this functionally for a while - I will hit 6 iron on par 3 but I'm not keen on hitting it off the turf, at all, so its either force a 7 iron (down wind) or try to grip down on a 9 wood and hope into the wind - I could cut a 5 iron so now you having me wondering about that as a solution.  I would not dare rely on a cut 9 wood to fill a gap - that's a prescription for hitting a ball in someone's back yard three fairways over to the left.

I'm going to try my G30 6 iron on the range if weather allows this week.  That might be the answer - I don't like the regular D7 6 iron at all.  I hit the D7 forged 6 better than it.  In the end this could be something as simple as more practice with the 6 iron. 🙂

Yep you get a 7 or 9 wood spinning cut hot and there is no telling where it will go. And yeah they can get really hot if you hook them too. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - I thought I'd update here, briefly.  The Ping G30 6 iron has made it's way into the bag as the best and actually pretty good option in that 155-165 range.  I hit it once last week from 163 and hit it inside of 10 feet.  Also when I looked at the numbers from Shotscope a couple of years ago I had very good results with it.

I have an old Taylor Made SLDR HL in the bag.  Honestly though it's not that much longer than the 5 wood - a couple of yards of carry if I catch it well.  TMag is going to be at my club in a couple of weeks for a fitting day.  I've signed up for a half an hour fairway wood/driver fitting slot.  I doubt that I would pull the trigger on a TMag driver at this point - premature and my results with their drivers have been mixed even when I've done well at a fitting.  However, I'm anxious to see if he can find a solution at the top end of the fairway wood spectrum.  I'd strongly consider purchasing something like that.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

17 minutes ago, revkev said:

Okay - I thought I'd update here, briefly.  The Ping G30 6 iron has made it's way into the bag as the best and actually pretty good option in that 155-165 range.  I hit it once last week from 163 and hit it inside of 10 feet.  Also when I looked at the numbers from Shotscope a couple of years ago I had very good results with it.

I have an old Taylor Made SLDR HL in the bag.  Honestly though it's not that much longer than the 5 wood - a couple of yards of carry if I catch it well.  TMag is going to be at my club in a couple of weeks for a fitting day.  I've signed up for a half an hour fairway wood/driver fitting slot.  I doubt that I would pull the trigger on a TMag driver at this point - premature and my results with their drivers have been mixed even when I've done well at a fitting.  However, I'm anxious to see if he can find a solution at the top end of the fairway wood spectrum.  I'd strongly consider purchasing something like that.

The sim2 woods are legit. Nice improvement over sim. The sim2 driver has a better sound. 

• 2 weeks later...

Going for my TMag wood fitting early afternoon today. I’m very excited 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

16 minutes ago, revkev said:

Going for my TMag wood fitting early afternoon today. I’m very excited 

I’m curious to see what they put you in and what your initial impression of the sim2 lineup is

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m curious to see what they put you in and what your initial impression of the sim2 lineup is

They put me in a Ping G410 5 wood for the fairway wood - I tried several 3/4 wood combos and nothing came close.

Driver, which I didn't go for but tried anyway, was a different matter entirely.  I absolutely killed the Sim2 - stunningly so - 15 yards longer than my current gamer - far more consistent - in fact I didn't hit a dog - everything stock except opened up a couple of notches - I really do prefer the open look.  

So now I have some thinking to do - I haven't had a non-Ping driver in a long time - the last one was the SLDR which I did kill but was a bit inconsistent - seemingly one really bad nose drive a round - this also means that I will still have only 13 clubs in the bag - I'm giving up on the 3 wood chase for a while - I've resolved the 155-165 slot with the old G30 6 iron - I could sure use 15 more yards and it would be worth $400 to me to get it.  I've got some serious thinking to do.  I also put my name in for the Callaway driver test - long odds there but doing so well with the Sim2 made me realize that I may find paydirt with a different brand 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

1 hour ago, revkev said:

They put me in a Ping G410 5 wood for the fairway wood - I tried several 3/4 wood combos and nothing came close.

Driver, which I didn't go for but tried anyway, was a different matter entirely.  I absolutely killed the Sim2 - stunningly so - 15 yards longer than my current gamer - far more consistent - in fact I didn't hit a dog - everything stock except opened up a couple of notches - I really do prefer the open look.  

So now I have some thinking to do - I haven't had a non-Ping driver in a long time - the last one was the SLDR which I did kill but was a bit inconsistent - seemingly one really bad nose drive a round - this also means that I will still have only 13 clubs in the bag - I'm giving up on the 3 wood chase for a while - I've resolved the 155-165 slot with the old G30 6 iron - I could sure use 15 more yards and it would be worth $400 to me to get it.  I've got some serious thinking to do.  I also put my name in for the Callaway driver test - long odds there but doing so well with the Sim2 made me realize that I may find paydirt with a different brand 

The sim2 driver in my limited testing of drivers this year it has been the one that stood out along with the tsi3. I want to do more testing with the tsi3 and shafts I’m more used to than the rdx black and possibly a Ventus shaft.

15 yards is a lot and I know if dispersion didn’t change from my gamer I would have ordered

what stock shaft including weight and flex did they fit you for in the sim2?