Maximizing equipment

revkev

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I was listening the the most recent hack it out podcast; which was about club fitting, and from what I recall (could be old age creeping in) Crossfield was talking about how he uses a single club for a fairly large gap and uses the swing to fill the gap.  Whether is it hitting a different shape or choking down to get that distance.    

Just a suggestion for you to try.  

I listened to that one as well. Crossfield does have an interesting setup. Only carries a 52 and 58 wedges. Two pitching wedges since he is playing ZX4s and that wedge is strong. This allows him to overlap the top of his bag with hybrids. He has a 22, 19, and 16 hybrid and a three wood. Basically so he feels like he has two shots for each distance. He was also sharing that he feels more amateurs should have overlapping clubs at the top where they struggle the most. Interesting theory there.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review)

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0 | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70 g 6.0

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff | :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5 - PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56°  KBS Tour V 110 Stiff | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: - Pro V1x | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 4/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, fozcycle said:

My fairway woods are now 4 years old(Cobra King F8’s) But I adjusted the 3W from 14.5* to 16* and the 5W from 18* to 20*. Now I hit them just as far but with more loft and consistently straighter. I guess they are now 4W & 6W!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

LOL I guess you can call them any thing you want to. Today lofts and club designations are all over the chart---- The standard I go by on loft is the old Taylor Made V-steels The 7 wood is 21* and the 9 wood is 24* respectively. Now that last Generation Adams I play I call a 4 wood because it is 16* but today I think it was a TEE 3 wood with 3 wood and 16* right on the side and bottom.  Now on your designation i would call it a 7 wood plus at 20*.

• Like 2

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label R-- PW M-85 Macgregor 48* S-400 Sensicore --- SW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- LW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Original Reuter Bulls Eye Standard---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

22 hours ago, cnosil said:

Interesting that you struggle at that spot in the bag.    Just thinking outside the box, I struggle with clubs longer than 6 which is why I switch to hybrids.   But as part of most wanted testing we have to hit 5 irons and to hit them well I need to switch my swing up a little bit and hit a fade.  This gives me a little more spin and a little more height.   Just wondering if maybe hitting the 9 wood as more of a cut shot might give you that distance.  

I was listening the the most recent hack it out podcast; which was about club fitting, and from what I recall (could be old age creeping in) Crossfield was talking about how he uses a single club for a fairly large gap and uses the swing to fill the gap.  Whether is it hitting a different shape or choking down to get that distance.    

Just a suggestion for you to try.  

As I wrote earlier I've been doing this functionally for a while - I will hit 6 iron on par 3 but I'm not keen on hitting it off the turf, at all, so its either force a 7 iron (down wind) or try to grip down on a 9 wood and hope into the wind - I could cut a 5 iron so now you having me wondering about that as a solution.  I would not dare rely on a cut 9 wood to fill a gap - that's a prescription for hitting a ball in someone's back yard three fairways over to the left.

I'm going to try my G30 6 iron on the range if weather allows this week.  That might be the answer - I don't like the regular D7 6 iron at all.  I hit the D7 forged 6 better than it.  In the end this could be something as simple as more practice with the 6 iron. 🙂

• Like 4

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

2 hours ago, revkev said:

As I wrote earlier I've been doing this functionally for a while - I will hit 6 iron on par 3 but I'm not keen on hitting it off the turf, at all, so its either force a 7 iron (down wind) or try to grip down on a 9 wood and hope into the wind - I could cut a 5 iron so now you having me wondering about that as a solution.  I would not dare rely on a cut 9 wood to fill a gap - that's a prescription for hitting a ball in someone's back yard three fairways over to the left.

I'm going to try my G30 6 iron on the range if weather allows this week.  That might be the answer - I don't like the regular D7 6 iron at all.  I hit the D7 forged 6 better than it.  In the end this could be something as simple as more practice with the 6 iron. 🙂

Yep you get a 7 or 9 wood spinning cut hot and there is no telling where it will go. And yeah they can get really hot if you hook them too. 

• Like 2

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label R-- PW M-85 Macgregor 48* S-400 Sensicore --- SW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- LW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Original Reuter Bulls Eye Standard---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - I thought I'd update here, briefly.  The Ping G30 6 iron has made it's way into the bag as the best and actually pretty good option in that 155-165 range.  I hit it once last week from 163 and hit it inside of 10 feet.  Also when I looked at the numbers from Shotscope a couple of years ago I had very good results with it.

I have an old Taylor Made SLDR HL in the bag.  Honestly though it's not that much longer than the 5 wood - a couple of yards of carry if I catch it well.  TMag is going to be at my club in a couple of weeks for a fitting day.  I've signed up for a half an hour fairway wood/driver fitting slot.  I doubt that I would pull the trigger on a TMag driver at this point - premature and my results with their drivers have been mixed even when I've done well at a fitting.  However, I'm anxious to see if he can find a solution at the top end of the fairway wood spectrum.  I'd strongly consider purchasing something like that.

• Like 4

EVNRoll ER 5

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

17 minutes ago, revkev said:

Okay - I thought I'd update here, briefly.  The Ping G30 6 iron has made it's way into the bag as the best and actually pretty good option in that 155-165 range.  I hit it once last week from 163 and hit it inside of 10 feet.  Also when I looked at the numbers from Shotscope a couple of years ago I had very good results with it.

I have an old Taylor Made SLDR HL in the bag.  Honestly though it's not that much longer than the 5 wood - a couple of yards of carry if I catch it well.  TMag is going to be at my club in a couple of weeks for a fitting day.  I've signed up for a half an hour fairway wood/driver fitting slot.  I doubt that I would pull the trigger on a TMag driver at this point - premature and my results with their drivers have been mixed even when I've done well at a fitting.  However, I'm anxious to see if he can find a solution at the top end of the fairway wood spectrum.  I'd strongly consider purchasing something like that.

The sim2 woods are legit. Nice improvement over sim. The sim2 driver has a better sound. 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

Going for my TMag wood fitting early afternoon today. I’m very excited 

• Like 3

EVNRoll ER 5

16 minutes ago, revkev said:

Going for my TMag wood fitting early afternoon today. I’m very excited 

I’m curious to see what they put you in and what your initial impression of the sim2 lineup is

• Like 2

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m curious to see what they put you in and what your initial impression of the sim2 lineup is

They put me in a Ping G410 5 wood for the fairway wood - I tried several 3/4 wood combos and nothing came close.

Driver, which I didn't go for but tried anyway, was a different matter entirely.  I absolutely killed the Sim2 - stunningly so - 15 yards longer than my current gamer - far more consistent - in fact I didn't hit a dog - everything stock except opened up a couple of notches - I really do prefer the open look.  

So now I have some thinking to do - I haven't had a non-Ping driver in a long time - the last one was the SLDR which I did kill but was a bit inconsistent - seemingly one really bad nose drive a round - this also means that I will still have only 13 clubs in the bag - I'm giving up on the 3 wood chase for a while - I've resolved the 155-165 slot with the old G30 6 iron - I could sure use 15 more yards and it would be worth $400 to me to get it.  I've got some serious thinking to do.  I also put my name in for the Callaway driver test - long odds there but doing so well with the Sim2 made me realize that I may find paydirt with a different brand 

• Like 2

EVNRoll ER 5

1 hour ago, revkev said:

They put me in a Ping G410 5 wood for the fairway wood - I tried several 3/4 wood combos and nothing came close.

Driver, which I didn't go for but tried anyway, was a different matter entirely.  I absolutely killed the Sim2 - stunningly so - 15 yards longer than my current gamer - far more consistent - in fact I didn't hit a dog - everything stock except opened up a couple of notches - I really do prefer the open look.  

So now I have some thinking to do - I haven't had a non-Ping driver in a long time - the last one was the SLDR which I did kill but was a bit inconsistent - seemingly one really bad nose drive a round - this also means that I will still have only 13 clubs in the bag - I'm giving up on the 3 wood chase for a while - I've resolved the 155-165 slot with the old G30 6 iron - I could sure use 15 more yards and it would be worth $400 to me to get it.  I've got some serious thinking to do.  I also put my name in for the Callaway driver test - long odds there but doing so well with the Sim2 made me realize that I may find paydirt with a different brand 

The sim2 driver in my limited testing of drivers this year it has been the one that stood out along with the tsi3. I want to do more testing with the tsi3 and shafts I’m more used to than the rdx black and possibly a Ventus shaft.

15 yards is a lot and I know if dispersion didn’t change from my gamer I would have ordered

what stock shaft including weight and flex did they fit you for in the sim2?

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 3:24 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The sim2 driver in my limited testing of drivers this year it has been the one that stood out along with the tsi3. I want to do more testing with the tsi3 and shafts I’m more used to than the rdx black and possibly a Ventus shaft.

15 yards is a lot and I know if dispersion didn’t change from my gamer I would have ordered

what stock shaft including weight and flex did they fit you for in the sim2?

Their Ventus blue R flex which is 54 grams - 10.5 degrees opened one click. I tugged a couple with it set square but hit them with the slightest hint of draw once the face was opened a bit.  

Like a broken record 90 mph SS, 14 degree launch, 2800 spin rate, 130 mph ball speed, carry around 215, run out to 235.  Just effortless 

• Like 3

EVNRoll ER 5

9 minutes ago, revkev said:

Their Ventura blue R flex which is 54 grams - 10.5 degrees opened one click. I tugged a couple with it set square but hit them with the slightest hint of draw once the face was opened a bit.  

Like a broken record 90 mph SS, 14 degree launch, 2800 spin rate, 130 mph ball speed, carry around 215, run out to 235.  Just effortless 

Nice. Effortless is a nice feeling

• Like 2