Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How to be content with your golf game? Surprise, surprise I'm not!

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Plus our first child was due in October so that preparation took time as well. And then 2020...

Those Darn Kids! Ruin Everything! 😉 

I had my first 8 years ago and recently have been starting to teach him the game. I even "invested" (or so I say to my wife) In a launch monitor and built a backyard set up so we could play/practice more often. Then wouldn't you know it 2nd kid. 8 Years apart! what were we thinking?!? lol....Well needless to say, leading up to and for most of the time since the new baby the golf sim has gone mostly unused. There was even a stretch for about 3 months that it didn't turn on even once. I have started to get a little more free time so I used it for an hr or so maybe 2-3 times a week right now and that's with only a 20 step commute. I couldn't imagine playing golf if I had to leave the house.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

On 4/12/2021 at 5:18 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Why is it you can hit a round ball in motion coming at you with the round barrel of a bat that is smaller than the ball with no problem. But when you have a small ball sitting still you can't hit it with the flat face of a golf club which is larger than the ball?  Mind = Blown.  🤪

My best guess as to why....there is no time to think when the pitch is coming at you, its all reaction.  Although the quality of a baseball hit compared to the quality of a golf shot is probably comparable.  However, there are way more missed swings in baseball than golf.   I played baseball up to about 30 and it ain't easy to hit a 90+ mph fastball or sharp breaking slider.  Plenty of HOF'ers failed about 70% of the time (some of the highest paid hitters today way more than that)!! 

An advantage baseball has over golf is that you don't have to chase and find your foul balls.  🤣  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Some improvement could come from course management and picking better shots. With how much you play the same handful of courses it could be simpler than trying to breakdown different ones. I know we only played the couple times, and didn't talk about this much, but it could be a quick way to shave a few strokes.

This is a great thread and a great reminder to keep perspective and expectations in check.
For me, part of the frustration is I know the potential to score well is there - there are periodic flashes of "goodness" (like shooting a 39 in league last week and follow it up with a 47 this week). Like you, [mention=67511]mr.hicksta[/mention], my short game bails me out of many a mess. Over the last year, my irons have gotten much more consistent, but still not quite a strength. Tee ball is the clear struggle for me, so I have a choice - fix it or be happy that I am able to play as much golf as I do and be satisfied with the results. I am well past the limit of my self-diagnostic skills, so I likely need a lot of time (and $) to give to a pro and practice a lot. I don't really have a ton of free time on my hands, so I guess I need to learn to be satisfied.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Hawaii and San Diego, well I'm beyond envious...

Yes usually I want too bad staying between 200-230 only getting heavier in the winter with inactivity then losing it all over the summer, repeat. I got up to 275 when the baby came and been working at losing it all since. What you mean when my wife wants Taco Bell at 1130 at night, I'm not supposed to get myself something too?

That's good perspective brotha, thanks! And I definitely find myself in the same place. I've been focusing more on just playing instead of making swing changes, but with the aforementioned limited practice I feel like my ceiling is capped. I've also been thinking about how to make the best time out of being deployed and I suspect that will involve a ton of practice swings to ingrain certain swing feels. We'll see how that goes! 

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Some improvement could come from course management and picking better shots. With how much you play the same handful of courses it could be simpler than trying to breakdown different ones. I know we only played the couple times, and didn't talk about this much, but it could be a quick way to shave a few strokes.

Take Dead Aim

The next time we play, I encourage you to challenge me on what I am thinking and what might be a better choice.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Sure thing. Pick a course you're familiar with or like. I've got a lot of vacation time to use before the end of May

The next time we play, I encourage you to challenge me on what I am thinking and what might be a better choice.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

21 hours ago, Lacassem said:

I say “shape” in the nicest way possible. I am not toothpick and have healthy proportions lol

I'm pretty thin/lean but my body is slowly turning into the coffee pot aliens from Men In Black. Getting old is dumb, how do I stop it?

image.png.36e8cc16227a2bac545a7829b75c7393.png

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

2 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I'm pretty thin/lean but my body is slowly turning into the coffee pot aliens from Men In Black. Getting old is dumb, how do I stop it?

Can’t stop it my man embrace it! I have gained 40 since the military and am currently in a better spot. As long as I can touch my toes and swing I’m happy lol

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I made a pact with myself a good many years ago to no longer beat myself up over the game.  Sure, I want to improve and I'm working at reaching my goal of getting to single digit handicap.  But, I'm also being realistic in knowing that at 60 I'm going to be fighting the downhill side of physical capability.  I committed to getting the best quality fitting I could, and have.  I committed to choosing and buying the best iron the fitting results yielded...done that to.  I also committed to getting into composite iron shafts to save wear and tear on my joints... also done. 

My plan from here is to consider very targeted instruction to fine tune - NOT OVERHAUL - aspects of my swing/ball striking.  Regardless of how this all turns out, I will refer back to my original pact not to allow my game become a source of frustration.  Often times, like your example, focusing less and letting the game come to you yields as good or better results.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

Need to be more worried about that posture, bruh! Haha!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X