Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How Tough Is It To Stay on The PGA Tour

Golfspy_CG2

Perhaps nothing can illustrate it better than this picture of Ricky Barnes....yes thst Ricky Barnes....leaving Monday Qualifying for a Korn Ferry event after not making it.  BTW he missed it shooting a 66!!

Great tweet by Monday Q Info

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

It seems almost impossibly hard sometimes. There are only 125 full time cards, have one bad year where you have no other way to keep the card and it can go. It makes the consistency of the beat players that stay on tour for decades that much more impressive. Never having a bad year, and winning enough to stick around feels very hard.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Its crazy how many guys outside the top 75 or so seem to come and go after a few years.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The scoring average difference from being in the top ten to being out of the top 125 is less than 1.5 shots.  The margin for error out there is razor thin.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I look to Camilo Villegas as a great example of being on Tour, being the new “it” guy, then he disappears without a trace, is on the Korn Ferry, then gets a few exemptions for some Tour tournaments, and is still trying to make it back. Funny, though, how many “regular Joe’s” who AREN’T Tour Pros at ANY level think they’re going to make the Champions Tour. I’ve heard guys here locally honestly say that they think they’ll be on the Champions Tour..... They’ve never broken 80 in their life!!!!!

Tour Pros are ridiculously good, and there are a ton of guys, WORLDWIDE, ready to take their spot!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

41 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I look to Camilo Villegas as a great example of being on Tour, being the new “it” guy, then he disappears without a trace, is on the Korn Ferry, then gets a few exemptions for some Tour tournaments, and is still trying to make it back. Funny, though, how many “regular Joe’s” who AREN’T Tour Pros at ANY level think they’re going to make the Champions Tour. I’ve heard guys here locally honestly say that they think they’ll be on the Champions Tour..... They’ve never broken 80 in their life!!!!!

Tour Pros are ridiculously good, and there are a ton of guys, WORLDWIDE, ready to take their spot!

LOL  So true, it's like they think the only qualification for being on the Champions Tour is turning 50.   I remember I think it was Davis Love III who said this in an interview at the time.  I'm paraphrasing but the general idea was.  "There is a member at my club who is a year or two younger than me, and is a very fine player, and by that I mean a 3 or 4 handicap.   He was telling a bunch of us that by the time he is 50, he plans on being scratch and give the Champions Tour a go.    I listened and told him, that's a great. But you do realize when you turn 50, so will I and Steve Stricker, and Fred Couples and well you get the idea.   If you can't come within 10 strokes of us now, what makes you think you will by then"    

It was all said in good fun, but he also got the point across.!

Can only imagine the difficulty (and in any sport at the highest level) it is to stay at the top for long periods of time. Mentally and physically that seems exhausting but at the same time the dopamine hit every week to play on that level must be ridiculous as well. I again can only imagine the grind it is to be the elite like that\.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

...which makes this stat all that more amazing. Just might be the biggest baddest best streak in the history of sports.

BTW: 683 weeks = 13 years

Most Weeks at No. 1
Weeks Player
683 Tiger Woods
331 Greg Norman
123 Dustin Johnson
106 Rory McIlroy

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Going back to Ricky Barnes.  He was a US Am Champ, College Player of the year, was in the final group of the US Open on the weekend at Winged Foot, I remember being there that year.   But he has never won on Tour, I think he might be in that category of most starts on Tour without a win.   Or at the very least, or among the most.

Seems like a very likeable guys with great character.  I don't know if he'll ever make it back, but he's one I would be rooting hard for if he ever somehow got in an event and got in contention.

I'm sure Ricky is a great guy but I'm much more impressed with stories like this...

image.png.a0dd18d11cba981cbc8173749199dd0c.png

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

There's a story that opens one of Penick's books. At this point his son was head pro at Austin CC, the course we see for WGC match play. So like a 48ish year old guy comes in, says he's a +4 handicap and wants the Penick's to train him for the Senior Tour.

The son walks him into the grill and says "see that guy by the window? He is a +4 handicap at our course. He will also be joining the Senior Tour next year. There is no amount of money I would take from you to train you to be his competition." It was Tom Kite by the window.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star