TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pre-Shot Routine

How did you develop your pre-shot routine? Have you compared different routines to see which is more effective on the course?

Do you have a different routine on the tee versus other full swing shots? Obviously putting routines and chips/pitches could vary quite a bit...

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I have a tee shot routine I like because it helps me engage my hip rotation, where I keep my Blackfoot positioned behind to focus on drawing the golfball and rotating my hips, I also overpronate my left hand to block the clubbed from opening, I then take a practice shot facing my intended target line. Approaching the ball on the tee I line up the club to my target line, then line my body up visually to the target line vs the club, visually looking allows me to orient my body to the intended direction. 

For iron shots I orient my body vs the club head to the intended direction. Depends on the lie, if I'm not in a bunker I will take a good practice swing to see the club interaction with the ground

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Everybody's pre shot routine should accomplish the same thing; prepare you to execute. They may all look different but that is the goal. What ever helps you get to that point use it. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

-Stand behind ball and check where I would *like* to hit the ball and see if it’s an odd lie

-odd lie I’ll take a practice swing or two, otherwise line up and shoot.

i am Pretty quick from set up to swing. Putting a little different but tee box and approach are pretty standard and quick. Sand, green side and putting are a little More Methodical and detailed 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

4 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

-Stand behind ball and check where I would *like* to hit the ball and see if it’s an odd lie

-odd lie I’ll take a practice swing or two, otherwise line up and shoot.

i am Pretty quick from set up to swing. Putting a little different but tee box and approach are pretty standard and quick. Sand, green side and putting are a little More Methodical and detailed 

I might give this a try. I would think being quick really limits swing thoughts.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

7 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I might give this a try. I would think being quick really limits swing thoughts.

Good or bad I don’t overthink on the course (unless I’m really playing bad, happened 2x last year) but I prefer a quick thought lineup shoot, I can usually tell prettty quickly if I’m doing something wrong with the swing. This helps keeping the thinking to a minimum 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

For years I would set up to the ball; make two practice swings, then go.  I have always wondered why I did that.  I know the preferred way is to take practice swings in the "thinking box" behind the ball, but that never appealed to me.  I liked doing it lined up to where I want the ball to go.  Last year I changed to no practice swing; just decide where to hit the ball, what kind of shot, then set up to the ball and swing away.  My score haven't changed much, but I think I have more high score days than I used to, but I attributed that to being a year older.   I'm actually thinking about changing back.  I feel like the practice swings may have helped as a stretch and took some tension out of my body.  I just don't know if this body will take 54 tee shots a round.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My style is very much to do my thinking as I'm approaching (look at where the flag and trouble is) and figure out what shot I need to make if it's a bad lie.  After that I'll take my club, maybe make a rehearsal move or two behind the ball, visualize the shot, then go.  I don't like to stand over the ball much at all and try to keep it fluid.  It works for me, but doesn't for everyone.  I'll take one or two looks down my target line and fire away.

This is a typical tee shot routine for me:

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

22 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

My style is very much to do my thinking as I'm approaching (look at where the flag and trouble is) and figure out what shot I need to make if it's a bad lie.  After that I'll take my club, maybe make a rehearsal move or two behind the ball, visualize the shot, then go.  I don't like to stand over the ball much at all and try to keep it fluid.  It works for me, but doesn't for everyone.  I'll take one or two looks down my target line and fire away.

This is a typical tee shot routine for me:

It probably helps knowing that was a total missile😂😂

Titleist ProV1

Mine has Ben something I learned from a buddy who I played with a lot when I first started playing but am trying to work on using GGs approach of get a target and shot, develop a feel and take a practice swing, go external then super internal then stand over ball and hit it

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It probably helps knowing that was a total missile

I wish I could say they all were!!! A focus for this year is on getting more consistent strikes with my driver. I know that will mean not feeling like I’m swinging as hard (even though I prove to myself time and time again the swing is just as fast) and probably setting up to play that little cut.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

5 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I wish I could say they all were!!! A focus for this year is on getting more consistent strikes with my driver. I know that will mean not feeling like I’m swinging as hard (even though I prove to myself time and time again the swing is just as fast) and probably setting up to play that little cut.

I have seen that myself with my driver and irons. A typical smooth swing results in just as much if not better than a “nukey” swing to get max distance 

Titleist ProV1

Working on adapting the Think Box - Play Box method. I feel the importance is in the repetition.

Shoot flag and check note book. Glove on. Then asses wind, lie, shot type, and be aware of misses. Pull club. Practice swing perpendicular to target (know this is different, I don't care). Get my line.

Take stance and fire.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I developed my pre-shot routine from reading “Golf my way” (Nicklaus’ book) as a teenager in the mid 70’s. The only change that I’ve made is that rather than an intermediate target a few yards in front of me I get behind the ball and picture my selected shot landing at a certain target.

Short game I try to picture my array of shots and which club will produce that shot - putts I either pictures rolling in the hole or through a point on the green on longer ones.

Nothing too complicated, just consistent

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I developed my pre-shot routine from reading “Golf my way” (Nicklaus’ book) as a teenager in the mid 70’s. The only change that I’ve made is that rather than an intermediate target a few yards in front of me I get behind the ball and picture my selected shot landing at a certain target.

Short game I try to picture my array of shots and which club will produce that shot - putts I either pictures rolling in the hole or through a point on the green on longer ones.

Nothing too complicated, just consistent

Mine came from there too....I met Nicklaus back in the 70’s at a tournament I attended as a junior golfer....he was always my favorite golfer and I modeled my pre shot routine after him and my putting stance still resembles Jack’s

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Mine came from there too....I met Nicklaus back in the 70’s at a tournament I attended as a junior golfer....he was always my favorite golfer and I modeled my pre shot routine after him and my putting stance still resembles Jack’s

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

So does mine - sadly he’s 20 years older than me and doesn’t play much. 🥶

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, revkev said:

So does mine - sadly he’s 20 years older than me and doesn’t play much. 🥶

Yes I was looking forward to seeing Jack and Gary Player and Lee Trevino at the Champions Tour event the first weekend in May here in Houston but due to Covid they canceled the Legends part of the event.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson