TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Ball Lab - '21 Titleist Pro V1x

Titleist-Pro-V1x-bnr-badged.jpg

The moment you have all been waiting for! The new Titleist Pro V1x Ball Lab review is up on MGS site now (link: https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-titleist-pro-v1x/ ) and it has surprising...and unsurprising results.

Biggest note of interest I saw was that it's a firm ball, which we knew, but it's less firm than the V1x Left Dash - I mistakenly thought it was the other way around.

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

14 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Left dash is close to, if not the firmest tour ball on the market. I couldn’t stand the sound and feel off the putter 

I bet! How would you describe the sound? More like hitting a hollow brick, or tapping a bell?

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

I bet! How would you describe the sound? More like hitting a hollow brick, or tapping a bell?

Clicky.  Noticeably higher pitched than the standard Pro V1

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

I thought it was going to crack my driver.  It’s like hitting a piece of granite.

I never got past the putting green with them. 

The results are in stark contrast to what GolfballGuts found on his instagram profile. The majority of his new Pro V1x balls had off center cores. Very interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNizwuolG3a/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

Not surprised by the findings and why everyone in the industry considers the brand the gold standard 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

15 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

The results are in stark contrast to what GolfballGuts found on his instagram profile. The majority of his new Pro V1x balls had off center cores. Very interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNizwuolG3a/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'm just going to copy and paste this from the Ball Lab information page as to the testing.

Core Centeredness – The object of our centeredness test is not to put the ball under a microscope, count millimeters and otherwise nitpick. The goal is to identify irregularities that are likely to have meaningful performance implications.

While we note any core that is visibly off-center to the naked eye, a ball is only deemed “bad” when the core is significantly off-center.

If you look at his most recent video we're talking an off centered core of less than a millimeter and at most 2 millimeters. Not saying it shouldn't be factored, but also not the death knell either.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I am 0% shocked at the results of this test.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I'm just going to copy and paste this from the Ball Lab information page as to the testing.

Core Centeredness – The object of our centeredness test is not to put the ball under a microscope, count millimeters and otherwise nitpick. The goal is to identify irregularities that are likely to have meaningful performance implications.

While we note any core that is visibly off-center to the naked eye, a ball is only deemed “bad” when the core is significantly off-center.

If you look at his most recent video we're talking an off centered core of less than a millimeter and at most 2 millimeters. Not saying it shouldn't be factored, but also not the death knell either.

According to Titleist, if a core is off center by the width of a credit card (.76mm) then dispersion can double. I agree that it would be hard to see .76mm but the ones over 1mm and up to 2mm are easily visible to the eye. Right?

This being said, I’m not against titleist. I was just surprised to see that MGS had 0 off center cores but GolfBallGuts had the majority of them being off center. It’s just surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 minute ago, PeterHenric said:

This being said, I’m not against titleist. I was just surprised to see that MGS had 0 off center cores but GolfBallGuts had the majority of them being off center. It’s just surprising.

If anything, this makes me want to go back to the other Ball Labs. If GBG counted those cores as off-centered and MGS didn't, then thinking about the other Ball Labs where MGS had more balls listed as off-center means that GBG would've found them basically unplayable!

This kinda reminds me of the "debate" about launch monitors and which one is more accurate, etc. As long as each one is consistent, it can be usable. (I know my PRGR isn't as accurate as a GC Quad, but as long as its internally consistent, it works for my purposes. Grumble grumble something about accuracy vs precision grumble.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

46 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

According to Titleist, if a core is off center by the width of a credit card (.76mm) then dispersion can double. I agree that it would be hard to see .76mm but the ones over 1mm and up to 2mm are easily visible to the eye. Right?

Hard to say, but worth noting that we're dealing with a hobbyist vs. a testing center on this. Not to knock GBG, I love his content but at the end of the day, he's just a content guy.

Also, while I know everyone looks at the value rating as perfect, there is no perfect box of balls. It's why I really enjoy that variable graphic Tony has added in comparing box to box to box. There are fluctuations in the box, but across the board it's pretty good. Might you find a weird one, I would say you would, but even in the world of averages it would seems GBG may just be unlucky with his boxes as we're dealing with two statistical extremes between those tests. 

Perhaps also there are differences in batches sent to Canada, where he buys from since he lives in Alberta, and the US. I'm certain that may not be the case, but another variable to consider.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

• Golfspy_CG2 changed the title to MGS Ball Lab - '21 Titlesit Pro V1x Left Dash

Hey @Golfspy_CG2, I know you just recently changed the title, but the article is about Pro V1X Vanilla 2021... just trying to help.

Also, figured I'd post this here since Tony actually addressed in the comments the issues Golf Ball Guts guy was having with his findings. I've copied and pasted verbatim from his comment.

"

I suspect it’s an optical illusion. A PVC cutter works similarly to a log splitter. It’s basically a wedge. When the core material is pliable (like it is with TaylorMade, Callaway, and some others) you get really clean cuts. When it’s brittle (like Titleist’s), you get uneven cuts, chunking. Anything other than a nearly flat surface will absolutely make cores look off center – in some cases WAY off center, so it’s imperative that you spend some time factoring in the quality of the cut.

My broad stroke conclusion from my samples were that balls that looked a bit off-center were actually centered and that balls that looked way off-center were only slightly off-center. Noted, but not flagged as bad.

Basically, we saw what he saw, but we also found that in the majority of cases two things were true 1) cores that appeared off-center were invariably off-center in the direction of the fracture line (where the ball cracked and or split during cutting) and 2) the cleaner the cut, the more centered the core appears. At some point that stops being conincidence.

Short version – it became readily apparent that what I was seeing was likely attributable to the cut itself.

Titleist’s core material splits quite a bit, and anecdotally, I believe the material in the new models is more brittle than the previous model.

For what it’s worth, I have an overseas balls contact who warned me about just this issue when we started. His assertion was that the cut can sometimes lie. His concern was that guys would start grabbing PVC cutters and posting pics without regard for the influence the cut itself was having on perceptions…and so here we are.

My gauge measurements tell me that the new Pro V1x is one of the most consistent balls in the database. Almost invariably, when we do find significant issues inspecting our cutaways, they correlate with things we see in our gauge measurements (out of round balls, and wide compression ranges within the ball itself being the most common).

When Guts Guy can produce a full complement of gauge measurements, I suppose then we’d be on level footing to have a proper conversation.

Here’s why:

If there is a widespread and significant problem with the cores, it’s going to show up on the gauges. It’s why we,. as soon as we realized cutting wasn’t nearly enough, we invested in a proper set of tools.

Fully measuring balls is time-consuming, and not nearly as glamorous as cutting a ball and screaming about how bad it looks, but we also know it’s also the right way to do it.

Simply cutting a ball doesn’t tell you nearly enough, and in some cases, it will flat out lie to you."

SIK Golf Flo-C

Just saw Tony's response on the article page. It is very thorough and well thought out.

I would be very curious to listen in on Tony and GBG having a discussion about procedures and measurements and stuff like that. Would probable be entertaining and informative.

• Golfspy_CG2 changed the title to MGS Ball Lab - '21 Titlesit Pro V1x
36 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Hey @Golfspy_CG2, I know you just recently changed the title, but the article is about Pro V1X Vanilla 2021... just trying to help.

Also, figured I'd post this here since Tony actually addressed in the comments the issues Golf Ball Guts guy was having with his findings. I've copied and pasted verbatim from his comment.

"

wow, either I'm going blind, or didn't have enough coffee this morning, or Tony is messing with me.  probably one of the first two, as I'm not worth his time to mess with.ha

But when I got the email link this morning, before it was posted I swore it was for Left Dash.  I was busy this am and didn't have time to post it.  Went to do it later and saw THV did, but didn't see Left Dash in the title, so wanting to avoid any confusion, I changed it, without looking any further.   Ever hear of the term, leave well enough alone.  Yeah, guess I should follow that advice 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

39 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

wow, either I'm going blind, or didn't have enough coffee this morning, or Tony is messing with me.  probably one of the first two, as I'm not worth his time to mess with.ha

But when I got the email link this morning, before it was posted I swore it was for Left Dash.  I was busy this am and didn't have time to post it.  Went to do it later and saw THV did, but didn't see Left Dash in the title, so wanting to avoid any confusion, I changed it, without looking any further.   Ever hear of the term, leave well enough alone.  Yeah, guess I should follow that advice 🙂

Haha, no problem Rob. Looking at the email link and subject line I totally understand why you'd think that way. It wasn't the best email MGS has ever sent out. You get back to 100% and keep on keeping on.

SIK Golf Flo-C

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to MGS Ball Lab - '21 Titleist Pro V1x
21 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

"

I suspect it’s an optical illusion. A PVC cutter works similarly to a log splitter. It’s basically a wedge. When the core material is pliable (like it is with TaylorMade, Callaway, and some others) you get really clean cuts. When it’s brittle (like Titleist’s), you get uneven cuts, chunking. Anything other than a nearly flat surface will absolutely make cores look off center – in some cases WAY off center, so it’s imperative that you spend some time factoring in the quality of the cut.

My broad stroke conclusion from my samples were that balls that looked a bit off-center were actually centered and that balls that looked way off-center were only slightly off-center. Noted, but not flagged as bad.

Basically, we saw what he saw, but we also found that in the majority of cases two things were true 1) cores that appeared off-center were invariably off-center in the direction of the fracture line (where the ball cracked and or split during cutting) and 2) the cleaner the cut, the more centered the core appears. At some point that stops being conincidence.

Short version – it became readily apparent that what I was seeing was likely attributable to the cut itself.

Titleist’s core material splits quite a bit, and anecdotally, I believe the material in the new models is more brittle than the previous model.

For what it’s worth, I have an overseas balls contact who warned me about just this issue when we started. His assertion was that the cut can sometimes lie. His concern was that guys would start grabbing PVC cutters and posting pics without regard for the influence the cut itself was having on perceptions…and so here we are.

My gauge measurements tell me that the new Pro V1x is one of the most consistent balls in the database. Almost invariably, when we do find significant issues inspecting our cutaways, they correlate with things we see in our gauge measurements (out of round balls, and wide compression ranges within the ball itself being the most common).

When Guts Guy can produce a full complement of gauge measurements, I suppose then we’d be on level footing to have a proper conversation.

Here’s why:

If there is a widespread and significant problem with the cores, it’s going to show up on the gauges. It’s why we,. as soon as we realized cutting wasn’t nearly enough, we invested in a proper set of tools.

Fully measuring balls is time-consuming, and not nearly as glamorous as cutting a ball and screaming about how bad it looks, but we also know it’s also the right way to do it.

Simply cutting a ball doesn’t tell you nearly enough, and in some cases, it will flat out lie to you."

This turned in to an ongoing conversation on Twitter and IG too, with the same individuals calling Tony and MGS hypocrites over taking Callaway to the wood shed for centeredness issues but (in their eyes) glossing over or explaining away off-center cores in the ProV1X.  Tony provided this same rebuttal/response on those forums, but as you would expect on social media, there are conspiracy theorists dug in to the notion that MGS has it in for Callaway and is getting paid by Titleist.

It's really kind of sad that there are people so cynical that they can't/won't accept that a company could truly be brand agnostic and not biased.  As Tony laid out in the comments section of the article and two social media forums, the cut impacts the core of a Titleist ball more so than other brands, so accurately assessing the balls quality requires more than a PVC cutter.  End of story.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

21 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

"

Here’s why:

I thought the response from Tony was reasonable. However, why not pull out a pair of calipers and measure if the core was off-center? You can have all the optical illusions in the world but measuring with calipers isn't going to lie. I think the ball testing is good and I truly appreciate it but there is always small catches with a lot of what MGS does. But that is probably just the nature of the business. 

I guess you could give yourself a margin for error or use a different method of cutting the balls. Instead of using a PVC cutter, use a band saw or something like that. That way you ensure that it isn’t an optical illusion. Also, GBG does say that he smooths the ball out before measuring so there really shouldn’t be an optical illusions, right? The core can’t actually be moving inside the ball when it is cut.

When doing the measurements on core centeredness, give a .5-.8 mm wiggle room. Anything over a certain pre-determined parameter would then be flagged.