Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The 2021 Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits

GolfSpy AFG

I can't take it anymore...it's time to start getting hyped for the Ryder Cup!

Official_Logo_of_the_2020_Ryder_Cup.png.cb3f6e90a81711fcead822230e742730.png

Too early, you say?  Maybe, maybe not.  For me, the Ryder Cup is the greatest sporting event we have going.  I literally spend 3 days pacing the living room with a USA hat on and wedge in hand, sometimes at 2am if it's played overseas.  I can't get enough, so lets use this thread as part of the slow ramp up to the cup to talk about the teams, the issues, the course, the interviews and comments that surface as the event approaches, and whatever you want to talk about!

First, let's talk the American team.  As you know, the Ryder Cup was cancelled for 2020 due to COVID-19, but in the ramp up to the event before it was cancelled, the decision was made to reduce the number of automatic "earned" picks from the standard 8 (sometimes 9), down to 6, and that plan is intact even with the event moved to 2021.  That means US Captain Steve Stricker will have 6 captain's picks, which makes for some interesting scenarios.

First, the standings post-Masters, which will obviously change as the season and the majors play out:

1467186062_RCStandingsafterMasters.jpg.8c584e364828621ab6f548281d94eb9c.jpg

Notables (among others) outside of this top 12 are Cantlay at 13, Scottie Scheffler at 15, Matthew Wolff at 18, Kisner at 20 who certainly has some match play chops, and Will Zalatoris who is up to 23.  Interestingly, as Brandel Chamblee tweeted a few days ago, Zalatoris is not a PGA Tour member because of a technicality, so he's not currently eligible for the FedEx Cup even though he would be 13th in the rankings based on his play.  He could conceivably become the first player in history to make the Ryder Cup team and not be a member of the tour.

Some immediate questions and issues jump out from these standings:

1)  Patrick Reed is not an automatic pick.  Is he a no-brainer Captain's pick?  He was obviously a world-beater at Hazeltine, but not so much at Le National, and then threw his teammates and coaches under the bus after the 2018 cup.  Add in the cheating allegations, and does he now have enough "baggage" that he potentially gets left off?

2)  Related to this first question, if Spieth makes the team automatically or as a pick, and Reed does too...do the American's get the band back together and put them back out?  Or does Spieth pair up with a Zalatoris (if picked), given their common background?  Spieth and JT again?

3)  Brooks Koepka is currently an automatic pick.  Does his health force him to bow out?

4)  Horschel is one I'd like to see in match play...I think he brings the fire and the emotional edge of a P Reed, without being, well, P Reed.

5)  Morikawa and Schauffele, and potentially Berger, would all be Ryder Cup rookies.  Is that youth and inexperience in the Ryder Cup a hindrance, or have these young guys earned their stripes in match play in the NCAA?  Personally, I would love to see youth be served and some unreliable performers from previous years give way.  I think Morikawa in particular is a dream partner for anybody.

Those are my initial thoughts.  What stands out to you?  I'll keep updating these standings here as they develop.

Next, we'll talk the Euro team.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I suppose it's never too early to start thinking about the current years Ryder Cup.  My initial thought is that there is a LOT of golf to be played which will undoubtedly change the team roster.  The added number of captain picks definitely makes things interesting and, I dare say, may very well make for a stronger team.  Why? Because earned picks are based on stroke vs. match play and the top tour event players may not necessarily be the best for team match play. 

It's often been said that the Euro's tend to play better in match play as a result of the team personalities and synergy of those personalities.  On paper, they do not seem as strong, yet they win.  Remember the tongue-in-cheek pictures of Fleetwood and Molinari in bed together.... can you imagine Dustin and Brooks, or Reed and Schauffele in that photo 🤣.  IMO Stricker and his assistant coaches, with the extra picks, will be able to better balance basic 1-n tour stat performance/ranking with other key stats and personal attributes. 

Once again, to look at the list of US players, one would think it a forgone conclusion a "Dream Team" (ala the first years of Olympic basketball) would be readily created and be a heavy favorite.  The Euro's have proven that to be not the case.

Lastly, I love this event played at Whistling Straits... one of the coolest damn golf course names there is.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I suppose it's never too early to start thinking about the current years Ryder Cup.  My initial thought is that there is a LOT of golf to be played which will undoubtedly change the team roster.  The added number of captain picks definitely makes things interesting and, I dare say, may very well make for a stronger team.  Why? Because earned picks are based on stroke vs. match play and the top tour event players may not necessarily be the best for team match play. 

It's often been said that the Euro's tend to play better in match play as a result of the team personalities and synergy of those personalities.  On paper, they do not seem as strong, yet they win.  Remember the tongue-in-cheek pictures of Fleetwood and Molinari in bed together.... can you imagine Dustin and Brooks, or Reed and Schauffele in that photo 🤣.  IMO Stricker and his assistant coaches, with the extra picks, will be able to better balance basic 1-n tour stat performance/ranking with other key stats and personal attributes. 

Once again, to look at the list of US players, one would think it a forgone conclusion a "Dream Team" (ala the first years of Olympic basketball) would be readily created and be a heavy favorite.  The Euro's have proven that to be not the case.

Lastly, I love this event played at Whistling Straits... one of the coolest damn golf course names there is.

Agree completely on the captain's picks.  Guys like Kisner, Horschel for instance...the game and makeup to excel in this format I think.  At the same time, it amplifies the "what was he thinking" element for Stricker if/when a captain's pick plays poorly.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

I believe Billy showed his match play prowess at the WGC this year. I would take him in a heart beat. I think the way Speith is playing is a no brainer. Zalatoris is my wild card to get in and would make an awesome story. Then who else do you take, and this is assuming Koepka is out (he didn't look good at Augusta at all)? Can Kuchar be on? He handled the WGC well and could be a level head amongst BAD and Reed. I also have a strange feeling that BAD is not a good fit for the team, even though he will likely auto qualify. His go big or go home style is too hit or miss for my liking.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

It's often been said that the Euro's tend to play better in match play as a result of the team personalities and synergy of those personalities.  On paper, they do not seem as strong, yet they win.  

They play better in match play because match play is more prevalent in Europe and they grew up playing match play.  In the US stroke play is the dominant form of play.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

They play better in match play because match play is more prevalent in Europe and they grew up playing match play.  In the US stroke play is the dominant form of play.  

Good point.  I also think it supports my point that Sticker being able to pick from the entire pool of players, those he feels has both game and personality attributes that will align best in match play format, makes for a stronger team.  Now the big question... how is it that match vs. stroke play was selected? I understand match play scoring predates stroke play but why was that chosen?  It definitely changes strategy. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I can't take it anymore...it's time to start getting hyped for the Ryder Cup!
                                                                                                Official_Logo_of_the_2020_Ryder_Cup.png.cb3f6e90a81711fcead822230e742730.png

Too early, you say?  Maybe, maybe not.  For me, the Ryder Cup is the greatest sporting event we have going.  I literally spend 3 days pacing the living room with a USA hat on and wedge in hand, sometimes at 2am if it's played overseas.  I can't get enough, so lets use this thread as part of the slow ramp up to the cup to talk about the teams, the issues, the course, the interviews and comments that surface as the event approaches, and whatever you want to talk about!
First, let's talk the American team.  As you know, the Ryder Cup was cancelled for 2020 due to COVID-19, but in the ramp up to the event before it was cancelled, the decision was made to reduce the number of automatic "earned" picks from the standard 8 (sometimes 9), down to 6, and that plan is intact even with the event moved to 2021.  That means US Captain Steve Stricker will have 6 captain's picks, which makes for some interesting scenarios.
First, the standings post-Masters, which will obviously change as the season and the majors play out:
                                                               1467186062_RCStandingsafterMasters.jpg.8c584e364828621ab6f548281d94eb9c.jpg
Notables (among others) outside of this top 12 are Cantlay at 13, Scottie Scheffler at 15, Matthew Wolff at 18, Kisner at 20 who certainly has some match play chops, and Will Zalatoris who is up to 23.  Interestingly, as Brandel Chamblee tweeted a few days ago, Zalatoris is not a PGA Tour member because of a technicality, so he's not currently eligible for the FedEx Cup even though he would be 13th in the rankings based on his play.  He could conceivably become the first player in history to make the Ryder Cup team and not be a member of the tour.
Some immediate questions and issues jump out from these standings:
1)  Patrick Reed is not an automatic pick.  Is he a no-brainer Captain's pick?  He was obviously a world-beater at Hazeltine, but not so much at Le National, and then threw his teammates and coaches under the bus after the 2018 cup.  Add in the cheating allegations, and does he now have enough "baggage" that he potentially gets left off?
2)  Related to this first question, if Spieth makes the team automatically or as a pick, and Reed does too...do the American's get the band back together and put them back out?  Or does Spieth pair up with a Zalatoris (if picked), given their common background?  Spieth and JT again?
3)  Brooks Koepka is currently an automatic pick.  Does his health force him to bow out?
4)  Horschel is one I'd like to see in match play...I think he brings the fire and the emotional edge of a P Reed, without being, well, P Reed.
5)  Morikawa and Schauffele, and potentially Berger, would all be Ryder Cup rookies.  Is that youth and inexperience in the Ryder Cup a hindrance, or have these young guys earned their stripes in match play in the NCAA?  Personally, I would love to see youth be served and some unreliable performers from previous years give way.  I think Morikawa in particular is a dream partner for anybody.
Those are my initial thoughts.  What stands out to you?  I'll keep updating these standings here as they develop.
Next, we'll talk the Euro team.

Never too early for Ryder Cup

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

5433D2B1-54D0-46B9-8381-17DC2C670C68.jpeg.cd233da932dd1c7f1c823270bb5a05a2.jpeg

it’s never too early...

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

There is a popular sentiment that the Americans set up Hazeltine to be a bombers paradise birdie fest. Wide fairways, accessible pins...  The Euros set up LeGolf National to be the opposite. I’m not sure Whistling can be set up easy. Even if they cut the rough and widen the fairways they can’t fill in those little waste area bunkers covering the course.  It will be interesting to see Strickers set up. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

12 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

There is a popular sentiment that the Americans set up Hazeltine to be a bombers paradise birdie fest. Wide fairways, accessible pins...  The Euros set up LeGolf National to be the opposite. I’m not sure Whistling can be set up easy. Even if they cut the rough and widen the fairways they can’t fill in those little waste area bunkers covering the course.  It will be interesting to see Strickers set up. 

Padraig Harrington would seem to agree with you; he gave an interview with a similar assessment of Whistling Straits.  Here's the link:

Padraig Harrington: Whistling Straits won't give U.S. a big home advantage at 2020 Ryder Cup | Golf Channel

Right or wrong, it's certainly an interesting assessment.  I went and looked at the 2015 PGA Championship leaderboard, played at Whistling Straits.  Here's a couple snips of that leaderboard:

165318232_2015PGA1-10.jpg.e548357650972f23fd7dfd756626290c.jpg

164132294_2015PGA11-20.jpg.2875c53646459e364cfc698787b8e2f6.jpg

5 European's in the top 20, versus 11 for the Americans.  To the extent that's a valid data point is beyond me...I'm sure there were a greater percentage of American's in the field than European's, so this may just be representative of that ratio.  It also doesn't address the dynamic of European's generally being better at match play than stroke play.  

Good to look at 2015.  However...

Looking at the current Euro points leaders - 

1 - Fleetwood - did not play

2 - Jon Rahm - did not play

3 - Tyrell Hatton - T25

4- Rory Mcilroy - 17

5 - Lee Westwood - T43

6- Victor Perez  - did not play

7 - Paul Casey - 30

8 - Viktor Hovland - wasn't born yet...

9 - Matthew Fitzpatrick - did not play

Possible captain's picks:

Bernd Wiesberger - MC

Robert MacIntyre - did not play

Danny Willet - T54

Sergio Garcia - T54

Justin Rose - 4

On 4/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Good point.  I also think it supports my point that Sticker being able to pick from the entire pool of players, those he feels has both game and personality attributes that will align best in match play format, makes for a stronger team.  Now the big question... how is it that match vs. stroke play was selected? I understand match play scoring predates stroke play but why was that chosen?  It definitely changes strategy. 

It's been match play from the start, no idea why, other than the cup started as a preamble to the Open Championship.

A couple of chapters of John Feinstein's "The First Major" are devoted to Ryder Cup history.  Great read; I highly recommend it.

IMG_6960.jpg.255bd07aae1e6e1c3f1c5ba5ae57b31f.jpg

2 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Good to look at 2015.  However...

Looking at the current Euro points leaders - 

1 - Fleetwood - did not play

2 - Jon Rahm - did not play

3 - Tyrell Hatton - T25

4- Rory Mcilroy - 17

5 - Lee Westwood - T43

6- Victor Perez  - did not play

7 - Paul Casey - 30

8 - Viktor Hovland - wasn't born yet...

9 - Matthew Fitzpatrick - did not play

Possible captain's picks:

Bernd Wiesberger - MC

Robert MacIntyre - did not play

Danny Willet - T54

Sergio Garcia - T54

Justin Rose - 4

Sure, I'm just saying based on the 2015 PGA there was nothing about it that would favor a European or suggest a weakness for American's.  (And Hovland was certainly born well before 2015...)

35 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Sure, I'm just saying based on the 2015 PGA there was nothing about it that would favor a European or suggest a weakness for American's.  (And Hovland was certainly born well before 2015...)

Oh, I know. Just pointing out that so many of their key players haven't played there competitively is all.  And Hovland just looks sooooo young - he was in high school - though he looks like he could be in high school right now...

Whistling may be true neutral territory.  It will be interesting to see the set up. Can't wait to go. This will be the last "major" golf event in driving distance for a while.  (No disrespect to the US Senior Open in Omaha...)

With his win, Stewart Cink is now surprisingly in the conversation for the Ryder Cup.  At 24th he's still well out of automatically qualifying, but you have to think he's on Captain Stricker's radar at this point.

But, let's talk about the European team:

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgolf-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fryder%2Feb%2F58%2F49a9c7074507bc90e8294d6daa88%2Faustrian-golf-open-16x9.jpg

The automatic qualifying is a bit wonky as compared to the US process.  Captain Harrington will get 3 captain's picks, with automatic qualifying going to 9 players based on the European Points list or the World points list.  Basically, the European Points list spots are composed of Race to Dubai points from the European Tour.  The World Points list spots go to the players (who haven't already qualified via the European Points list) based on Official Golf World Ranking points.

If you recall, this is a bit of a revamp of the European qualification requirements.  Post Hazeltine in 2016, several players lamented that Paul Casey wasn't on the European team and suggested he might have made a difference.  Problem was, Paul Casey wasn't eligible because he had refused a European Tour card and hadn't played in any European Tour events.  Now, you are still required to be a European Tour member to play, but the World points list now places less emphasis on getting enough points on the European points list to make the team automatically.

So, what stands out to me so far:

1)  Rory!  JT beat him in singles in 2018, but it's still very fair to say that the European team looks to him as a "lead dog" of sorts.  If his current form continues into Ryder Cup season that would have to be a major concern for Captain Harrington.

2) Viktor Hovland would be a Ryder Cup rookie, but you'd have to think he'd be a very tough matchup for whomever he'd play against.  (And while we're talking about what if's, if Wolff found his way on to the American team, imagine if we could get that single matchup!)

3)  Poulter!  He certainly rises up for the Ryder Cup, but he hasn't done much...is he a shoe-in Captain's pick?

And one other thought that I should probably save for a "dream matchups" post, but if there's any justice in this world, or if you believe karma is real, then can we PLEASE stumble into a DeChambeau versus Fitzpatrick singles match?  I mean, wouldn't we like to see Fitzpatrick post match have to answer "so is distance a skill now" questions?

They also have the advantage of only having to play 8 guys in each match.

I can’t wait for this event for 3 reasons.

1. I lived in Sheboygan and well remember when Whistling was built for Majors and maybe, just maybe one day a Ryder Cup!!! So happy for the people there.

2. It’s a great format that’s fun to watch.

3. My friend Mark, who was head of National Security under two Presidents, is in charge of .... wait for it... security. :)

Mark’s a great guy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm anxious to watch Hatton and Hovland at the Zurich this weekend - watch them in a (sort of) team event...  In fact I even added Willet and Ventura to my fantasy team, just so I'd have a vested interest and pay attention to their teams. (If my fantasy team players aren't in the mix I sometime get bored and tune it out)  Hatton is definitely on Team Euro, and Hovland should be if he isn't an auto qualifier. 

I am really excited about the Ryder Cup after it had to be postponed.  I like more captain's picks for the US.  Able to really dial in the team and hopefully continuity.  For good or bad though, if they don't have a good showing a lot will be said about all the picks.

• 5 weeks later...

With the PGA Championship now complete, here's a look at the updated US standings:

image.png.a873109232b00800c7491ac9816bd891.png

image.png.a5b39d39c4eeb3341904eade1107d87f.png

The big obvious move here is a 20 position jump by Phil Mickelson.  He's not in as an automatic pick, but he's certainly moved himself into Captain's Pick consideration.  Captain Stricker was asked about Mickelson over the weekend (before he won), and acknowledged that Mickelson's play has been spotty and inconsistent to date, but that a win at the PGA and continued good play might get him on the team.  And so what seemed unimaginable before last weekend could come to pass...Phil Mickelson might make this Ryder Cup team!

To my mind, lots of pros and cons to debate concerning his potential inclusion.  He would certainly bring a veteran presence to the team.  There's also a strong argument to be made that Whistling Straits will likely set up and play a lot like Kiawah did, which would suggest Phil would do well.

That said, while he has plenty of experience, Phil is not exactly a strong Ryder Cup performer.  Here's his record:

image.png.31163a9b7a8711aee8cbd33a6a5ef343.png

He also only played in two matches at Le National in 2018, and was beaten handily in both.

To me, the question is form.  If you're adding Phil for leadership and experience, then add him as a Vice Captain.  If he's still playing well and in top elite form when it's time for Captain's Picks, then I'd be okay with his selection.  If this past weekend was simply "lightning in a bottle" and Phil regresses to his earlier season form, then I can't see passing up a Cantlay or Berger to put him on.  (Here's a good Golf Digest article about who may be most impacted by Phil's surge into consideration:  12 players Phil Mickelson may have just stolen a Ryder Cup spot from | Golf News and Tour Information | Golf Digest)

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

With the PGA Championship now complete, here's a look at the updated US standings:

The big obvious move here is a 20 position jump by Phil Mickelson.  He's not in as an automatic pick, but he's certainly moved himself into Captain's Pick consideration.  Captain Stricker was asked about Mickelson over the weekend (before he won), and acknowledged that Mickelson's play has been spotty and inconsistent to date, but that a win at the PGA and continued good play might get him on the team.  And so what seemed unimaginable before last weekend could come to pass...Phil Mickelson might make this Ryder Cup team!

To my mind, lots of pros and cons to debate concerning his potential inclusion.  He would certainly bring a veteran presence to the team.  There's also a strong argument to be made that Whistling Straits will likely set up and play a lot like Kiawah did, which would suggest Phil would do well.

That said, while he has plenty of experience, Phil is not exactly a strong Ryder Cup performer.  Here's his record:

He also only played in two matches at Le National in 2018, and was beaten handily in both.

To me, the question is form.  If you're adding Phil for leadership and experience, then add him as a Vice Captain.  If he's still playing well and in top elite form when it's time for Captain's Picks, then I'd be okay with his selection.  If this past weekend was simply "lightning in a bottle" and Phil regresses to his earlier season form, then I can't see passing up a Cantlay or Berger to put him on.  (Here's a good Golf Digest article about who may be most impacted by Phil's surge into consideration:  12 players Phil Mickelson may have just stolen a Ryder Cup spot from | Golf News and Tour Information | Golf Digest)

Thoughts?

Actually it was a 36 spot jump, that's what the  green  ^36 indicates.   

I agree completely with your assessment of if he makes the team or not.  You can't get sentimental for a one week lightning in a bottle performance, if that's what it turns out to be.  Vice Captain would be a good thing for him, especially if he's going to be a captain in 2023 or 2025.   But if this the beginning of a revival of sorts and he plays well the rest of the summer and is inside the top 20 at the time the picks are made, I could see a case for him. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

image.png.cb0ac43a416ca37ee9938cfe10c59161.png

On 5/25/2021 at 11:30 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I agree completely with your assessment of if he makes the team or not.  You can't get sentimental for a one week lightning in a bottle performance, if that's what it turns out to be.  Vice Captain would be a good thing for him, especially if he's going to be a captain in 2023 or 2025.   But if this the beginning of a revival of sorts and he plays well the rest of the summer and is inside the top 20 at the time the picks are made, I could see a case for him. 

Definitely Vice Captain.  It’s a long summer and see what happens .  There is a lot of quality guys looming and looking at a chance.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Looking at the European squad, here's the top 10 in European points:

image.png.fe8e7c26a6c5f96f13dc72a9e7a15d12.png

And here are the top 10 in World points:

image.png.95e4f6518d81213bb6d2ecd1b75af1a8.png

The players in blue font are the ones who would on the team.  As a reminder, the top 4 on the European points list, followed by the top 5 on the World points list not including players already in via the European points list, make it automatically.  Captain Harrington then gets 3 Captain's picks, HALF of the total of Captain's picks Stricker will have.

Rory's situation has improved considerably given his victory at the Wells Fargo, the question now being what kind of form will he be in come late September.  And, while we're all talking about Phil's candidacy, look at Lee Westwood currently in automatically via World points!

The Captain's picks for Europe will be fascinating. It will be interesting to see if Danny Willett will get the call...I doubt the American fans will let him forget his brothers comments at Hazeltine.

On 5/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

Thoughts?

based on the latest

IN:

DJ

Bryson

JT

Kopeka

Morikawa

Xander

then things get interesting ... if i'm captain:

Reed - still a bulldog. gotta take him. plus, he can kinda be under the radar with all this Bryson/Brooks crap going on

Finau - very steady with a lot of birdie potential

Spieth - he has earned his way back

Cantley - god, he is boring but a talented steady eddie is valuable at a Ryder Cup

Phil - i admit, i am a Phil hater but if he just finishes the summer somewhat strong, i'd put him on the team. but limit him to best-ball and singles. 

Horschel, Berger, Kokrak or Scheffler - whomever finishes the summer the strongest

My thoughts on Reed. This is a team event and he has proven he is anything but a team player. If he wanted to be on my team, I would tell him to play in the Zurich Classic with someone and make it through the weekend without claiming all the accolades or blaming your teammate for the poor shots. In a 2 man team match play round, just knowing your teammate has your back is as important as having a teammate who can make the shots. No doubt Reed can make the shots, but what happens after the round or even after the shot is made? 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

11 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

What are the chances Stricker pairs Brooks and Bryson together?  🤣

I'd say slim to none. 

One of the things that irks me is the US seems to pair guys by who's cozy with who, which is why you'll inevitably see Brooks paired with DJ, (likely) why Spieth and Reed were broken up, etc.  Spieth and Reed even acknowledged and said several times over that they felt they were a great team because they were constantly trying to beat each other!

Dave Stockton often said he felt it was best to pair guys who played from similar distances.  That logic would suggest a Finau - Bryson pairing.  And, if Phil makes the team, you could likely see Bryson and Phil paired if only due to their seemingly shared affections for geeking out over the physics of it all...

3 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I'd say slim to none. 

That's what everyone said when Hal Sutton paired Tiger and Phil.   🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

Ryder Cup is coming up fast!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

17 hours ago, Rickp said:

Ryder Cup is coming up fast!!

Yes it is; can't wait!

If anyone's wondering how the US Open affected Rahm's fate for the Ryder Cup team, it kinda didn't...he was a lock before, and he's more of a lock now.

Here's the European Points list:

image.png.fc841c1c10e5c25332a0cadf9ca1cde4.png

image.png.404fd2107027d65784174d550a19a069.png

And, here's the World Points list:

image.png.6ee4e8a3d782207e6ab2bd3df62eb948.png

image.png.5f9fa5bb706b8fb8fd950f05c3de6a71.png

So, the team for the Euro's as of today is:

1) Rahm

2) Fleetwood

3) Hatton

4) McIlroy

5) Casey

6) Hovland

7) Westwood

8 Fitzpatrick

9) V. Perez

Plus, 3 Captain's picks.  

Looks like a tough squad to me, should be a heck of a cup.