The 2021 Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits

Getoffmylawn

On 8/5/2021 at 8:11 AM, WaffleHouseTour said:

As to who to partner w Bryson…. Should Finau even be on the team?  What’s he done this year?  Other than some second place finishes…. (Sorry to the TF fans…)

ok, seriously crazy idea - who is best at playing recovery shots for drives that go astray?  That’s who needs to partner w Bryson.  That’s Phil.

You also need some match play killers - Kizner and Billy Ho. 

you need guys to bring the crowd into it - again, Billy Ho and Reed

If we're using a "what's he done this year" argument, then Kisner is questionable.  I do have reservations about Finau though...hasn't been in his top form lately, and there are many who feel the Ryder Cup ultimately comes down to putting, which isn't Finau's strong suit.

Phil.  Sigh.  I hope not...I'd love to see him as a Vice Captain, but I don't think his ball-striking is reliable enough to put him out there.  Add in his poor showing in the last competition, and I don't see it.

• Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: SIM DHY 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL:ER7B 

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

The European team as it stands today, with Poulter already lobbying hard for one of those Captain's picks:

1244300831_Screenshot2021-08-09at5_42_16AM.png.f9e1c26976c574f0108838d7fb0ab784.png

This will be a different team for sure.  Sergio is unlikely to make it, and the Euro go-to pairing of Rose & Stenson looks like it won't be an option either.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So who is everyone on for US Captain’s picks?  To me there are some very obvious ones…Xander, Spieth, and Cantlay.  Harris English has done enough to earn it.  Webb Simpson is in the conversation enough and brings a veteran presence.  Then who?  Are Reed’s health concerns, along with his other “baggage”, reason to leave him home?  I know Kisner is a popular pick but his overall body of work for the past two seasons isn’t great, although he does seem to do well in match play.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:40 PM, Kenny B said:

What are the chances Stricker pairs Brooks and Bryson together?  🤣

Id do it, It could spectacularly back fire. BUT dont you think they will push each other. Neither will want to the other player to be the stand out player in their pairing and I think this would drive them on perform better.

And if it back fires it will be great TV 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:bridgestone-small:, Ball, Tour B X

Na is hot at the right time. And I think he can get under his opponents skin which is a plus. 

• Like 1

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

So, the US team is set!

image.png.4db1981ab5e3314e9117f815eaeb811c.png

The pairings are going to be interesting.  Xander and Cantlay are probably a lock, and I would bet we'll see Spieth and JT too.  Assuming Koepka is healthy and can go, he's been paired with DJ a lot in the past but they haven't always produced stellar results.  Bryson...pair with Finau, or with Morikawa who you would think could feast on Bryson's drives with his iron play.

Lots of possibilities.  Right now the most immediate question is Brooks, can he play, or who comes in behind him if he can't?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So, the US team is set!

image.png.4db1981ab5e3314e9117f815eaeb811c.png

The pairings are going to be interesting.  Xander and Cantlay are probably a lock, and I would bet we'll see Spieth and JT too.  Assuming Koepka is healthy and can go, he's been paired with DJ a lot in the past but they haven't always produced stellar results.  Bryson...pair with Finau, or with Morikawa who you would think could feast on Bryson's drives with his iron play.

Lots of possibilities.  Right now the most immediate question is Brooks, can he play, or who comes in behind him if he can't?

I would think Reed would have to be included if Brooksie is a no go…

Otherwise Webb Simpson

• Like 2

0CDA9F85-FD71-4495-9BD9-CF9DB38DF4E5.png

7 hours ago, Micah T said:

I would think Reed would have to be included if Brooksie is a no go…

Otherwise Webb Simpson

Normally yeah, but between Reed’s questionable health and him already “liking” Stricker-critical social media, you have to wonder if the pick isn’t Webb…

• Like 3

Posting this one again. “Ye of little faith.” Yep. I have little faith. Somehow we can have the highest ranked guys in the world but can’t consistently win the Rider Cup….FC146533-6E63-4CEF-8B45-D74316F99AB0.jpeg.ce2d400f4617477dfb8581418c5cf0ee.jpeg

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

34 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Posting this one again. “Ye of little faith.” Yep. I have little faith. Somehow we can have the highest ranked guys in the world but can’t consistently win the Rider Cup….FC146533-6E63-4CEF-8B45-D74316F99AB0.jpeg.ce2d400f4617477dfb8581418c5cf0ee.jpeg

I share your concern, but I do have hope for the future.  There’s no denying the Euro’s have cared about this event a lot more than the Americans for years, but I feel like we’re seeing the coming up of a new generation of Ryder Cuppers that are intensely motivated…see Spieth publicly saying he wants to peak for the Cup rather than the Tour Championship.  Xander, Cantlay, Morikawa, JT, Spieth, Bryson, Scheffler…excited for a new generation of stalwarts and to turn the page on Phil, Furyk, Z Johnson, Kuchar…

On 9/10/2021 at 7:06 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

There’s no denying the Euro’s have cared about this event a lot more than the Americans for years,

During an interview on TGC, Bones McKay adamantly disputed this popular notion that the Team USA does not care about winning the Ryder Cup as much as Team Euro.  He said nothing could be further from the truth. His opinion is that the Europeans just get motivation from the underdog, not as talented on paper jabber-whacky from all the talking heads.  

We've all seen and/or personally experience this in the sports we watch and play... it's a real factor and often a real motivator.  The Solheim Cup being the latest example.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

On 8/10/2021 at 3:38 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

The European team as it stands today, with Poulter already lobbying hard for one of those Captain's picks:

1244300831_Screenshot2021-08-09at5_42_16AM.png.f9e1c26976c574f0108838d7fb0ab784.png

This will be a different team for sure.  Sergio is unlikely to make it, and the Euro go-to pairing of Rose & Stenson looks like it won't be an option either.

Just wanted to update, Ian Poulter, Sergio Garcia and Bernd Wiesberger are playing now.

https://www.rydercup.com/team-europe?locale=en-US

• Like 1

DRIVER :ping-small: G410 PLUS 10.5°  TENSEI CK ORANGE 60 S  |  IRONS :mizuno-small: JPX 900 FORGED 5-PW  PROJECT X LZ 5.5

FAIRWAY :ping-small: G410 3/14.5°  PROJECT X EVENFLOW BLACK 85 6.0   WEDGES :cleveland-small: CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°

HYBRIDS :ping-small: G410 19°, 22°  ALTA CB 70 RED   PUTTER :ping-small: KARSTEN ANSER 33"

BALL :wilson_staff_small: DUO U

BAG :1590477705_SunMountain: FRONT 9 LH  |  PUSHCART :Clicgear: ROVIC RV1S 

1 hour ago, berkeleybob said:

Just wanted to update, Ian Poulter, Sergio Garcia and Bernd Wiesberger are playing now.

https://www.rydercup.com/team-europe?locale=en-US

Thanks for posting!

Wiesberger has certainly earned it.  Poultry, he’s clearly able to elevate his play for the cup, although I would argue he was on fire at Medinah and really nothing special after that.

Sergio?  I don’t know…Padraig certainly went with experience, because it just doesn’t seem to me like he’s playing well enough to warrant the spot…

• Like 2

As far as why this cycle of current players favors team Europe, I think it’s more about familiarity with match play. Don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I’ve never played match play with my golfing buddies. If euros grow up golfing in this style, I’d say it is a natural advantage. Will that advantage continue with a new generation coming up for the American side? I’m hoping no…

0CDA9F85-FD71-4495-9BD9-CF9DB38DF4E5.png

Anybody else on the forum attending? I'll be there Wednesday, Friday, & Saturday

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (5-PW): Srixon 765 w/ KBS Tour C-Taper

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I'm thinking about running a pool for this one.  I got the info on it yesterday.  It's run by the same platform as the majors we did.

A bit different tough.  You will pick 6 players  one from each tier.   So say Tier 1 might be Rahm, JT, Morikawa, DJ, Rory, just as an example, then tier 2 and 3 etc.

For any winning  foursome or fourball match that your player is part of you will get 1 point, if he wins his single match you get 2 points.   Then you will get 8 points if you pick the winning team.

I think it sounds pretty fun.   Would most be interested in it.

I'll have to dig up a prize or maybe go with the mystery box again!  

• Like 3
  • Love 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

14 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'm thinking about running a pool for this one.  I got the info on it yesterday.  It's run by the same platform as the majors we did.

A bit different tough.  You will pick 6 players  one from each tier.   So say Tier 1 might be Rahm, JT, Morikawa, DJ, Rory, just as an example, then tier 2 and 3 etc.

For any winning  foursome or fourball match that your player is part of you will get 1 point, if he wins his single match you get 2 points.   Then you will get 8 points if you pick the winning team.

I think it sounds pretty fun.   Would most be interested in it.

I'll have to dig up a prize or maybe go with the mystery box again!  

Definitely 👍

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm looking forward to the singles. I can see Rahm vs. Cantalay. If Kopeka plays, I'd put Poulter up against him just for aggravation. Thomas against Mcilroy. 

Others you'd like to see?

Steve Smith

I think Brooks's comments about how its different/difficult event compared to other tour events got blown way out of proportion and twisted to "I'm not into this event". He's a competitor, he's played college golf and other team sports, when he gets in the team environment with half of the team being young guys, he's going to want to be a leader. 

Not to mention, I feel like everybody just laughed off Bryson's comments about his hands being wrecked prepping for long drive. All of these top guys have outside responsibilities but they have trained to focus on the current event they are playing and not worrying to far ahead. I think the reality is that the top Americans are celebrities and this event is a small part of their responsibilities and roles. But, similar to Olympics, when they all get together and put on the red, white, and blue, perspective changes. 

I think the picks this year are spot on. Reed was quoted saying he thought he was going to die a few weeks ago. Love Kis but personality does not win matches on this course. The US made a clear commitment to brining in young guys which will pay off over the next few years. 

I think course setup should be tough tucked pins the first day and make them easier the following days. The US should have center pin locations on Sunday looking for a birdie fest.

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx