Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

So I come over the top, very outside in. What are the best drills I can do to bring my swing to inside out and fix my slice and loss of distance 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Put a 2x4; with the tall side vertically, outside the ball when you swing. I am in no way responsible for damage to your club.

Outside in isnt necessarily bad. Work on closing the face so the slice turns into a fade.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As cnosil mentioned over the top isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The face and path relationship will dictate how big of a movement the ball has as a result. However if you don’t want to swing over the top, work on better sequencing and shallowing the club to come more from the inside

There are lots of drills and videos for proper backswing and transition.

Search the following names on YouTube. They have individual videos and/or series of them on the swing from setup to the finish

Eric Cognoro

Milo Lines

Danny Maude

Chris Ryan

Athletic Motion Golf

Meandmygolf

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As cnosil mentioned over the top isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The face and path relationship will dictate how big of a movement the ball has as a result. However if you don’t want to swing over the top, work on better sequencing and shallowing the club to come more from the inside

There are lots of drills and videos for proper backswing and transition.

Search the following names on YouTube. They have individual videos and/or series of them on the swing from setup to the finish

Eric Cognoro

Milo Lines

Danny Maude

Chris Ryan

Athletic Motion Golf

Meandmygolf

I'll second the Danny Maude videos. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm not going to comment on how to make the changes, i'm not a good golfer yet, but making good progress. I will say that it takes a lot of effort and perseverance to make the change. I have been working on it for like a year now. Took more than 6 months just to solve for the inside takeaway which was one of the key root causes of my over the top.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

You are gonna get a lot of different answers and all, some, or none of them may help. Not seeing your swing or knowing anything about it other than over the top and out to in is very broad.  

Some drills may not help as you may already be doing them in your swing and just have something a slight bit off causing the OTT move. Taking a lesson or 2 from somebody that can actually see your swing in person would be my suggestion over drills. They may very well spot the cause right away saving you time.

Finding the cause is essential in fixing the problem so you don’t fall back into the same practice.  All causes are different too. For example @dlow206 mentioned one of his causes was an inside take away. For me my main cause was an incomplete turn in my back swing. Not an incomplete back swing mind you. Took me forever but finally figured out that I wasn’t rotating my body and was swing with almost all arms. This fix also added 10 yards to my distance!  

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Agree completely with Blackbgold’s comments above. It’s critical to understand your tendency. I tried coming in to out by shallowing my swing but what ended up happening is that I didn’t fix the core problem which was my right shoulder firing and positioning my entire body into an out to in position. So trying to shallow my club without fixing the core problem got me stuck badly in snap hook and banana fade world.  Finally what helped me was to swing in to out without a ball and really understanding how my body would naturally sequence that without the pressure of hitting a ball. This has actually worked wonders for me. 

Edited by Raj LP

- Raj

HDCP 12
Driver - Taylormade M5 9 - HZRDUS Smoke S
Irons - Ping i200 AWT 2 stiff shafts
Wedges - Titleist Vokeys 50, 55, 60
Putter - Odyssey Fang 2 Ball

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to work on the same thing, and seem to be discovering what I am doing wrong in different steps. First was that my right elbow (I am a righty) was getting away from me in the backswing, so I focused on keeping that right elbow tucked close during the backswing, which helped a bit, but not totally as I still come over the top (just not as bad, as it is harder to do). Now I am trying to get the right elbow to stay tucked in the downswing. Seems when I try and go after it, my upper body just takes over. So what is helping (I hope) is doing my swing with a small towel or extra golf glove between my right arm and body, and not let the towel/glove drop before contact. On the course I am really trying to visualize my swing path with practice swings and commit to that path on the actual swing (without trying to muscle up on it. 

I admit as well, I need a lesson (several several lessons).

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize