TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 Tony-fest, Part Deux (Catawba Island Club, Make-up Date 9/19/21)

MaxEntropy

16 hours ago, Lakeeriegolfer said:

This is wild, I honestly think those two courses are great and in my top ten in the area for both quality and value, Hawks Nest especially.  Maybe I have much lower standards, but I think I have played a very diverse realm of courses to know what really nice (Portage CC, Oberlin GC) and really bad (Pine Brook, Mallard) are.

Valley of Eagles is really nice layout IMO.   I mainly play on the east side or hinckley area though, I play Boulder Creek most mondays as its the time when it is open and not over booked.   Stone Water, Manakiki, Pine Hills, little Mountain (chardon) are probably my favorite courses in the area but I have only been playing golf for a few years now so haven't played a whole lot of courses.

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS (10.5º played as 9.5)
3W:  Cobra SZ tour (14º)
3-PW: Mizuno MP-20 HMB
52,56: Cobra MIM 

63 - Wilson Staff Model HT
Putter: EvnRoll ER-6
Ball: Pro V1
Arccos Tracking on all clubs

I'm on the near westside, but grew up in Geauga, so really familiar with the east side courses too. I just played Seneca on Saturday, such a good course now that the metro parks finished the restoration.

I like courses you've mentioned, but I've never played Little Mountain.

Off the top of my head, here are my top 5 east/west/south lists:

East:
Sugar Bush
Chardon Lakes
Windmill Lakes
Manakiki
Boulder Creek

West:
Sleepy Hollow
Eagle Creek
Gray Hawk
Pleasant Valley
Pine Hills

South:
Raintree
Seven Hills
Turkeyfoot Lake
Hawk's Nest
Fox Den

Like I said before the westside is a lot of hot garbage. Dead flat, short, poorly maintained courses that charge $50+ on weekends. If there's a course that you think is missing (Quarry) it's probably because I've not played it.

Let me know what y'all agree/disagree and where I should try to play this year.

Valley of Eagles is really nice layout IMO.   I mainly play on the east side or hinckley area though, I play Boulder Creek most mondays as its the time when it is open and not over booked.   Stone Water, Manakiki, Pine Hills, little Mountain (chardon) are probably my favorite courses in the area but I have only been playing golf for a few years now so haven't played a whole lot of courses.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

17 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I'm on the near westside, but grew up in Geauga, so really familiar with the east side courses too. I just played Seneca on Saturday, such a good course now that the metro parks finished the restoration.

I like courses you've mentioned, but I've never played Little Mountain.

Off the top of my head, here are my top 5 east/west/south lists:

East:
Sugar Bush
Chardon Lakes
Windmill Lakes
Manakiki
Boulder Creek

West:
Sleepy Hollow
Eagle Creek
Gray Hawk
Pleasant Valley
Pine Hills

South:
Raintree
Seven Hills
Turkeyfoot Lake
Hawk's Nest
Fox Den

Like I said before the westside is a lot of hot garbage. Dead flat, short, poorly maintained courses that charge $50+ on weekends. If there's a course that you think is missing (Quarry) it's probably because I've not played it.

Let me know what y'all agree/disagree and where I should try to play this year.

Take Dead Aim

I live 5 minutes from Sleepy Hollow, I actually am not a really huge fan of it mainly because how the greens play.

I am playing 9 at shale creek sunday, will be the first time i play there.  I just hope it warms up by then lol.

41 minutes ago, Haggerty said:

We had a Ohio Gettogether at Pins Hills last year - 8 guys - lots of fun. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I know the greens can have some impossible pins if they decided, but I've not really had issues on the greens there. My only problems with Sleepy are the starters/rangers that are snobby and the fact it's tough to get out before 3 on a weekend.

Shale is a fantastic layout, but I've never played it in optimal conditions, only in April when the weekday rate is below $40. I need to play it in the summer to see what kind of course it really is.

I live 5 minutes from Sleepy Hollow, I actually am not a really huge fan of it mainly because how the greens play.

I am playing 9 at shale creek sunday, will be the first time i play there.  I just hope it warms up by then lol.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

1 minute ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I know the greens can have some impossible pins if they decided, but I've not really had issues on the greens there. My only problems with Sleepy are the starters/rangers that are snobby and the fact it's tough to get out before 3 on a weekend.

Shale is a fantastic layout, but I've never played it in optimal conditions, only in April when the weekday rate is below $40. I need to play it in the summer to see what kind of course it really is.

Take Dead Aim

Thats what I hear, I have the luxury of a 4 day workweek so I can get on the nicer courses on a monday when they aren't overbooked.  I think Boulder Creek as the best layout in area just love the course but its unbearable to play on the weekends as the course is long and not easy so a 6 hour round on the weekend is not unheard of.   The wife would kill me if i did that lol.

That's the problem when they build a course that's too difficult for 90% of golfers. Thankfully I don't think I've ever seen the black tees set at the actual position of 7400 yards or whatever.

Thats what I hear, I have the luxury of a 4 day workweek so I can get on the nicer courses on a monday when they aren't overbooked.  I think Boulder Creek as the best layout in area just love the course but its unbearable to play on the weekends as the course is long and not easy so a 6 hour round on the weekend is not unheard of.   The wife would kill me if i did that lol.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

14 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

That's the problem when they build a course that's too difficult for 90% of golfers. Thankfully I don't think I've ever seen the black tees set at the actual position of 7400 yards or whatever.

Take Dead Aim

true, i play off the white tees there anyways, its still 6800 yards

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Take Dead Aim

The far back spots are the championship tees, think its 7600 yards.  They only put them out on tournament weeks I believe,.

The far back spots are the championship tees, think its 7600 yards.  They only put them out on tournament weeks I believe,.
Right, I've played the blacks, but they're always 2 tee boxes up from the back. And there's a few holes where they either demolished the back tee or there is no back tee where they say there is one anymore. They have to set the course up to be much shorter than the states yardage for the simple fact of pace of play and sanity's sake. It was the same at Seneca this past week. They had most of the tees forward, and a set of purple tournament tees listed on the scorecard that weren't even out.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

21 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Right, I've played the blacks, but they're always 2 tee boxes up from the back. And there's a few holes where they either demolished the back tee or there is no back tee where they say there is one anymore. They have to set the course up to be much shorter than the states yardage for the simple fact of pace of play and sanity's sake. It was the same at Seneca this past week. They had most of the tees forward, and a set of purple tournament tees listed on the scorecard that weren't even out.

Take Dead Aim

I actually enjoy playing Seneca.  I was told it used to be a dump but its actually nice to play now.

Yep, metroparks finished that restoration towards the end of last season. There's still some thin spots, but at least it's all green now

I actually enjoy playing Seneca.  I was told it used to be a dump but its actually nice to play now.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I don't mind Seneca at all myself except the pace of play sometimes gets to be too slow. But you get that at every public course in the area these days. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2, Project X EvenFlow T1100 White shaft

5W: :cobra-small: S3, Blur S shaft

3H: :ping-small: G410ALTA CB RED GRAPHITE S shaft

Irons: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Hot Metal 4 - PW, Nippon Modus Pro 120 S shafts  

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey Spin Milled 56-08

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 60 - 14K

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 11 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z-Star

That happened to me last Saturday. We were fine on the front 9, just over 2 hours. Then, even though they have 36 holes, they sent 5 groups in a row down the Furnace Run 9. We were ok for a few holes, but it took over 2 hours to play the last 5.

I don't mind Seneca at all myself except the pace of play sometimes gets to be too slow. But you get that at every public course in the area these days. 

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I've only played Sleepy Hollow a handful of times. I really like the course, but have to be in the mood to get my ass kicked. Last time I played there I 4-putted the first green. Above the hole first putt, too soft with it, blew the second putt past and it rolled 20 feet by, two putts back up the hill.

I've never played any of the other metro courses. I need to change that.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Shawnee isn't great, but I like the rest. Big Met is kind of an odd set up, but it's less than 5 minutes from my house and designed by the same guy who did Sleepy.

I've only played Sleepy Hollow a handful of times. I really like the course, but have to be in the mood to get my ass kicked. Last time I played there I 4-putted the first green. Above the hole first putt, too soft with it, blew the second putt past and it rolled 20 feet by, two putts back up the hill.
I've never played any of the other metro courses. I need to change that.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I'm new to MGS this year, live in the Youngstown area and willing to drive and play several courses in Ohio or Western PA. Count me in and I can bring a guest along if needed.

McFly

- Woods:  :taylormade-small: Taylor Made Sim 2 Driver, Fairway wood and 3U hybrid with Fujikura Ventus shafts 
- Irons: 
:mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metals; 4 thru GW with Recoil shafts
- Wedges: 
:callaway-small: Callaway JAWS 54 SW and 58 LW with Recoil shafts
- Putter: 
:ping-small: Ping Heppler blade

Mill Creek & Firestone Farms I've heard are awesome. Are they worth the trip from Cuyahoga County?

I'm new to MGS this year, live in the Youngstown area and willing to drive and play several courses in Ohio or Western PA. Count me in and I can bring a guest along if needed.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

13 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Mill Creek & Firestone Farms I've heard are awesome. Are they worth the trip from Cuyahoga County?

Take Dead Aim

Absolutely worth the trip. Mill Creek is a great public golf club with two 18 courses originally designed by Donald Ross. Tree lined, driving range, reasonably priced and great bar & grill. I haven't played Firestone in several years but it's a true links course with water and bunkers in play on several holes. Great clubhouse too.

Another nice course is Kensington in the Boardman/Poland, OH area. 

If you make your way to Y-Town, let me know we can play a round.

McFly

- Woods:  :taylormade-small: Taylor Made Sim 2 Driver, Fairway wood and 3U hybrid with Fujikura Ventus shafts 
- Irons: 
:mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metals; 4 thru GW with Recoil shafts
- Wedges: 
:callaway-small: Callaway JAWS 54 SW and 58 LW with Recoil shafts
- Putter: 
:ping-small: Ping Heppler blade

Forgot about Kensington, I've heard good things and like that architect's other area courses. Those are the ones I'd travel too. And Portage county has some of my favorite courses as an in between meetup.

Absolutely worth the trip. Mill Creek is a great public golf club with two 18 courses originally designed by Donald Ross. Tree lined, driving range, reasonably priced and great bar & grill. I haven't played Firestone in several years but it's a true links course with water and bunkers in play on several holes. Great clubhouse too.
Another nice course is Kensington in the Boardman/Poland, OH area. 
If you make your way to Y-Town, let me know we can play a round.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

23rd of may for northstar? That’s a Sunday by the way

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The day after a lesson, sure, why not? I'm game.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'll have to pass on this one. Too many projects on the list when I get back to Ohio. Looking forward to the next one. 

p.s. @MattF, wife and I have lessons with Randy on the 7th. Hopefully he can sort out my driver. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I won't be able to make this one, house/baby projects and family gatherings have me booked up for the next few weeks

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

p.s. @MattF, wife and I have lessons with Randy on the 7th. Hopefully he can sort out my driver. 

Mine's the following day, then the 22nd.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

13 hours ago, MattF said:

The day after a lesson, sure, why not? I'm game.

Thats the spirit

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

18 hours ago, Tpoole22 said:

I live in the Louisville area, but if yall ever get out I'm the southern Ohio area I'd love to join in

Is Sunbury too far?

In the bag:

Bag: 

20 hours ago, Tpoole22 said:

I live in the Louisville area, but if yall ever get out I'm the southern Ohio area I'd love to join in

I have a crazy busy Spring, but I'm thinking of organizing something for Greater Cincinnati later this year. Depending on interest it will either be between Cincinnati and Columbus (maybe Majestic Springs, near Wilmington) or Northern Kentucky. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese