Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Rams Hill Golf Course Borrego Springs CA

Slypanther

I first came to Rams Hill in January of 1993, I remember this date as my father in-law made us walk on some desert trails to see ancient Indian food prep sites, but my wife was still recovering from a cesarean section for our second child.  The original Ted Robinson layout was both fun and challenging when playing Titleist only Tour Balata balls that spun enough to hold desert greens. Then 2003 came about and I had switched to the Pro V1; now the course played short, irons into all 4 par 5's, scores in the low 70's. Played again 2006 not knowing what was to happen to the course. Fazio designed 18 holes all down the hill from the clubhouse, but then ran into issues of environmental damage to the desert. Redesigned the current front nine to complete the course. The replacement course was named Montessoro and it was a challenging desert course. I do not know what they charged for the Ted Robinson design course as my father in-law insisted on picking up the tab. There is a very good story about the course here  https://bogeysacrossamerica.com/2015/01/14/the-resurrection-of-rams-hill-golf-club/    .    When the current owner reopened the course the homeowners were charged a additional $100 month in Home Owners Dues to support the course as it added value to the homes in the gated community, and the first two years the home owners were charged $40 for cart and greens fees. Now its 25% off the rack rate of $145, a rate that was inflated by the only 18 hole public course shut down two years ago, this has made a trip up into La Quinta a affordable option as the Nicklaus and the Pete Dye Mountain courses charge $89 for twilight times.  Now to the course played 4/13/21 for $108.75; there is a major problem with fungus on the golf course, that is not addressed until you read the daily pin sheet and course information, I would estimated 15-20 % of the course is infected and much of it is in the middle of the fairways killing the usual desert run out on drives, this made the course play about 7500 yards and major mud balls, which is more than I can handle this year. There is also fungus on the greens which some have been re-sodded with new bent. The greens were reported to be 12 on the Stimpmeter and they played exactly that way. Which meant that if you were even or past the hole cut, you had a very fast down hill putt or a 15 footer that had 10 feet or more break in it, on a chip shot on the 3rd hold I aimed 35 feet out and the chip rolled out to a 4 footer which I thought of as great success. Later on the back nine I had a down hill putt of 25 feet and now the wind was up from 5- 10 mph to 20 -30 mph, I tapped my putt about 18 inches and watched as the putt rolled for 36 seconds about 20 feet past, I learned about the time of roll by returning to the spot of the first putt that was marked with a ball marker and trying it again. The course had before advertised itself as the best conditioned course in California as voted on by course superintendents, and back then it was true, but now I would recommend you stay away as the experience is not worth the current rate charged.  A friend  of my wife has purchased a home here and they love it, her husband is some kind of landscape expert and he says that the course suffers from inadequate soil prep and drainage that is frequently a issue of Fazio designs, I had no idea of this before as everyone seems to think Fazio walks on water.  Lastly a caveat, I co-own a property in the gated community on the 2nd hole, I have every reason to promote the course as it does add value to my real estate investment, hopefully my retirement home in the future, other than the lack of information about the fungus before I paid for fees, the entire staff is friendly, courteous, even helpful, and I suspect it will continue as this was a major factor in investing in a property here. Call ahead and ask about the course conditions before making the trip, it is 2 hours from San Diego, 1 1/2 hours from Palm Springs, and you would expect a quality experience when spending so much time in the car each way.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update.  I played the course 4 years ago and found it to be one of the most enjoyable rounds of golf that I have played...ever.  Breathtaking desert scenery and a very well conditioned golf course.  Coupled with a very good staff..it was a very enjoyable round of golf.  I live in Southeast Arizona, so a trip to Borrego Springs is definitely a multi day event.  Now that I have the latest information on the golf course, I think that I will just go to La Quinta or Palm Springs for my 3-4 day outing. 

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

On our trip to Palm Springs two years ago, my wife and I drove up to Borrego Springs as a day off playing golf; beautiful area.  Had lunch at the clubhouse; very good BTW.  We had planned to come back last year, but... COVID!  We are headed back to Palm Springs in January, but I don't know if I would make the trip to play Rams Hill with those conditions.  

If they get the course back in good shape by then, please post here and let us know.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”