Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Puttout v.s. WellPutt-Start v.s. any other similar mats.. Anybody?

azstu324

So I'm in the market for a good putting mat in the 8' - 10' range. I've been using the Puttout Perfect Putt religiously with a yoga mat as my putting surface.. yes I said it.. a yoga mat. believe it or not, it rolls surprisingly true and works really well on tile as the foam is thick enough to mute any bumps or seams. The only problem is the I'm finding the roll to be a little quick.. estimated stimp is 10-12. While that's a pretty fair and realistic roll pace, it's still a bit quicker than most of the courses that I play (think budget course pace). I probably need something closer to 8 to get a more accurate roll. While my putting accuracy and confidence has improved drastically, I'm just finding myself leaving putts 1-2' short and feel like a slower rolling matt might help improve my pace. 

If anybody has any comparison or experience with either of these or another brand that might suite what I'm after, please share!

As much as I'd love to give the Birdieball a try per the MGS forum testing results, I'm limited on space and I've got a gift card for $100 to Golf Galaxy so it has to be a brand that they carry. 

Thx!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I have had the opportunity to putt on them both as they were at MGS headquarters so I tried them out.   Putting mats are pretty expensive and the two you have listed are pretty good.  I would personally pick the wellputt over the puttout simply due to people reporting that the puttout easily gets a groove.  The startline diagrams could be a bit distracting if you wanted to do other drills on the mat.   There was a puttout forum test a couple of years ago so you can read some of the feedback the forum had on that mat.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have had the opportunity to putt on them both as they were at MGS headquarters so I tried them out.   Putting mats are pretty expensive and the two you have listed are pretty good.  I would personally pick the wellputt over the puttout simply due to people reporting that the puttout easily gets a groove.  The startline diagrams could be a bit distracting if you wanted to do other drills on the mat.   There was a puttout forum test a couple of years ago so you can read some of the feedback the forum had on that mat.  

Yeah I was also leaning toward the wellputt from other web reviews I read about the Puttout "groove". Look looks like it happened fairly frequently.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I’ve got both a BirdieBall and the PuttOut mat. Hands down, the BirdieBall is superior - much better turf and roll. The PuttOut hasn’t been out of the closet since the BB arrived.

I get you are looking for a slower roll - you can order a slower roll from BB than what is described in these reviews, and shorter distance and widths. They have three speeds you can pick from.  

Just one thing, if you go the BB route, you want the width to stand on it while you putt, it’s about half an inch in thickness. Plus, you can chip onto the BB mat, I never really thought I could do that with the PO mat as it was too thin.

Use the Golf Galaxy card to pick up a Pelz Putting Tutor, some gloves, socks or balls.... 😉  Just my two cents you, get what you pay for...

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I’ve got both a BirdieBall and the PuttOut mat. Hands down, the BirdieBall is superior - much better turf and roll. The PuttOut hasn’t been out of the closet since the BB arrived.

I get you are looking for a slower roll - you can order a slower roll from BB than what is described in these reviews, and shorter distance and widths. They have three speeds you can pick from.  

Just one thing, if you go the BB route, you want the width to stand on it while you putt, it’s about half an inch in thickness. Plus, you can chip onto the BB mat, I never really thought I could do that with the PO mat as it was too thin.

Use the Golf Galaxy card to pick up a Pelz Putting Tutor, some gloves, socks or balls....   Just my two cents you, get what you pay for...

So my situation goes something like this.. I really want a decent putting mat. My golf equipment budget is already blown for 2021. I've negotiated with the Family CFO/CEO/Warden that negligible items such as golf balls, gloves, and tees, and pretty much any single item under $40 doesnt count.

I found a loophole in gift cards. Since they aren't "real money" I can use them on whatever item I want. If I chose to put the gift card towards the items you mentioned, I'd be left sans-putting mat.

No doubt birdie ball is a top choice but that might have to go into the 2022 budget.

BTW, it might seem a tad extreme with my budget restrictions.. but if I didn't have them we'd be living on the streets.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Why not look for a piece of artificial turf, as it will run slower and more closely emulate the speeds you are looking for. Try Etsy, a lot of people sell remnants on there that may work for you. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

9 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I have a PuttOut Trainer and a WellPutt 13 ft mat. I got good use out of both, learned a lot so I don’t need to practice with them often anymore. Mine will probably go on eBay, but I’d recommend them.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I have a PuttOut Trainer and a WellPutt 13 ft mat. I got good use out of both, learned a lot so I don’t need to practice with them often anymore. Mine will probably go on eBay, but I’d recommend them.

Just curious,  how do you practice now to keep what you learned sharp?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

Just curious,  how do you practice now to keep what you learned sharp?

I play 2-3 times a week, applying what I learned working with the mat and trainer. My new putting stroke, several swing thoughts, has/is serving me well.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)