Arm Lock Putting Should Be Illegal

LICC

On 7/3/2024 at 8:19 AM, Cuzy51 said:

I hate it

I believe everyone should have to putt exactly the same, flat front putter grip and two hands on the grip, if you are struggling with that, then see a PGA Professional for help

I had the same thing in the bowling world with these two handers, don’t read me wrong, those people are very talented, but again it should be uniform

maybe I am old school but it should be the same for all

I’m guessing you use a flat fronted putter with two handed grip. 

By the same definition, I could argue that hybrids should be banned because it’s for people who can’t hit long irons and they should just see a pga professional if they can’t do that. 

Actually, maybe we should all play blades because forgiving clubs are for people struggling with hitting the centre and they should just see the PGA professional for help.

Maybe I’m old school but it should be the same for all.

Edited by MissionMan

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

On 7/11/2024 at 3:11 PM, Cuzy51 said:

Maybe I am old school, but it should be exactly the same way for everyone, sure going out with your buds, I don’t really care if you putt between your legs, but in competition or say outings, all should be the same 

It is the same for everyone, the same restrictions apply to each and every one of us.  You could write rules that outlaw cross-handed putting, or cross-handed full swings, that would make things "the same" for everyone.  You cold even require players to swing right-handed, that would make us all "the same".  You can mandate that all clubs be identical, "the same" for everyone.  

4 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

i agree with @DaveP043 that the fact that the butt of the club moves during an armlock stroke makes the difference, but then I don’t understand why the rule isn’t written to reflect that idea. 

I think the rule does reflect that.  You're not allowed to anchor the club to your body, either directly or indirectly.  You ARE allowed to anchor against your arm or hand.  Rules are there to tell you what you are allowed to do, and not allowed to do, they don't need to tell you why the line is drawn where it is.  The USGA issued this guidance when the anchoring ban was first put in place, to help explain the concerns about creating a stable and immoveable anchor point.:

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/Guidance-for-Players-and-Officials-USGA-FINAL.pdf

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 7/11/2024 at 3:49 PM, Cuzy51 said:

We are talking putting

I really don’t care if it is a 24 in putter or 60 in 

I am saying a flat front putter grip which requires only your two hands on the grip

as far as irons to each there own 

Again there’s nothing in putting that’s the same for everyone. Pop strokes, short follow through, same lengjt backswing and follow through. length differs, loft and lie differs. The rules apply to everyone so in that case it is the same for everyone. How one decides to play under those rules is up to them.

But yeah let’s take the game back to the good old days. The whole get off my lawn and gatekeeping is old and tired 

4 hours ago, MissionMan said:

I’m guessing you use a flat fronted putter with two handed grip. 

By the same definition, I could argue that hybrids should be banned because it’s for people who can’t hit long irons and they should just see a pga professional if they can’t do that. 

Actually, maybe we should all play blades because forgiving clubs are for people struggling with hitting the centre and they should just see the PGA professional for help.

Maybe I’m old school but it should be the same for all.

I thought we were talking about putting, just saying 

WITB

Callaway Rouge ST Max D driver

Titleist TSR2 fairway 

Titleist Tsi2 fairway

Titleist TS2 Hybrid

Titleist T300 irons

Vokey Wedges SM8

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist LinkMaster bag

Probably answers this before but don't care - if it was that beneficial for all then everyone would be doing it. It works for some, not for others.

That brings variety and complexity to the game and allows alternative methods for those not comfortable and aid in them enjoying the game more. Which is what I like to see.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Probably answers this before but don't care - if it was that beneficial for all then everyone would be doing it. It works for some, not for others.

That brings variety and complexity to the game and allows alternative methods for those not comfortable and aid in them enjoying the game more. Which is what I like to see.

... I have always thought at the highest level when nerves play a big roll, any anchoring is beneficial only to those with the yips. That said, not only isn't it beneficial for all, I think it is much more difficult than conventional putting because you have to make compensations. Both my arms just hang naturally and it is easy to use a pure pendulum stroke with both arms and hands doing the same thing. Anchoring against my arm takes all the feel and natural arm hang out of the stroke and makes it much more mechanical and both arms and hands are doing different things. I tip my cap to those that can make it work. 

... And I could not agree more with your statement for Am's "That brings variety and complexity to the game and allows alternative methods for those not comfortable and aid in them enjoying the game more." 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

100% correct. 

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

3 hours ago, Cuzy51 said:

I thought we were talking about putting, just saying 

Yes, but you’re talking about selectively applying rules to one area of the game and not others. You’re saying someone should learn to be a better golfer and not rely on the tools to help them with pretty much applies to every element of the modern golf game. Low spin drivers for those who get too much spin. High spin ball’s for golfers who get too little spin. Draw bias drivers for those who slice. A variety of balls to cater for almost every shot shape. Alignment ball’s. Rangefinders for those who can’t judge distance. Green books for those who can’t read greens. Different wedge bounces to cater for a variety of shot styles. Golf shafts for older players to hit further. The list goes on. There isn’t an area the golf game that hasn’t been impacted by this in some form. 

Edited by MissionMan

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

52 minutes ago, MissionMan said:

Yes, but you’re talking about selectively applying rules to one area of the game and not others. You’re saying someone should learn to be a better golfer and not rely on the tools to help them with pretty much applies to every element of the modern golf game. Low spin drivers for those who get too much spin. High spin ball’s for golfers who get too little spin. Draw bias drivers for those who slice. A variety of balls to cater for almost every shot shape. Alignment ball’s. Rangefinders for those who can’t judge distance. Green books for those who can’t read greens. Different wedge bounces to cater for a variety of shot styles. Golf shafts for older players to hit further. The list goes on. There isn’t an area the golf game that hasn’t been impacted by this in some form. 

Again, I thought this discussion was about putting and arm lock, I stand by my belief’s on both hands on the putter grip with no assistance from any other body part. All the other stuff you guys are having a hemorrhage with is another topic, plain and simple. I have been playing golf probably longer than you are old, I have no issues with technology, sure has helped my game as I have got older, but I still have both of my hands on the flat front putter grip with both hands on it and I putt just fine

WITB

Callaway Rouge ST Max D driver

Titleist TSR2 fairway 

Titleist Tsi2 fairway

Titleist TS2 Hybrid

Titleist T300 irons

Vokey Wedges SM8

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist LinkMaster bag

1 minute ago, Cuzy51 said:

Again, I thought this discussion was about putting and arm lock, I stand by my belief’s on both hands on the putter grip with no assistance from any other body part. All the other stuff you guys are having a hemorrhage with is another topic, plain and simple. I have been playing golf probably longer than you are old, I have no issues with technology, sure has helped my game as I have got older, but I still have both of my hands on the flat front putter grip with both hands on it and I putt just fine

Most things in life work based on comparative discussions including legal precedents. Using “I am okay with this, therefore everyone else should suffer, go speak to a PGA pro because you’re doing it wrong” isn’t really a realistic framework to base something on. You don’t think Lucas Glover and other pros who shifted to arm locks or broomsticks have access to the best professionals in the world to help them?

As people have mentioned, if it was that much of an advantage, every professional would be using it. They aren’t. It isn’t. It’s about personal preference and you’re trying to make everyone align to yours.

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

22 minutes ago, Cuzy51 said:

You can’t call out a specific past of the game as you are trying. You can’t say that everyone should use an overlap grip on full swings for whatever reason. Or that 58° and higher lofted wedges shouldn’t be band because weren’t in use during some period of golf. 

This type of thinking is bad for the game. It’s telling people they can’t find a way within the rules of the game to enjoy it. It’s gatekeeping the game and saying if you can’t play good they way I deem it should be played then you either adapt or get out. 

1 hour ago, Cuzy51 said:

I'll ask you again,  other  than personal preference,  why does it matter what other people do?   Why does the grip have to have a flat front instead of being round,  what does the flat part have to be the front,  why can't I putt with one hand instead of 2, why not limit the head shape, what advantage do you perceive a player using armlock getting?   I'd think you would relish the opportunity to beat someone that putts in a way that you consider cheating.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This type of thinking is bad for the game. It’s telling people they can’t find a way within the rules of the game to enjoy it. It’s gatekeeping the game and saying if you can’t play good they way I deem it should be played then you either adapt or get out. 

Or change the rules.  I think that's what this discussion thread is about.  If you don't like the discussion, you should adapt or not post.  Just kidding.  I like your posts, they amuse me.  And your opinion may be correct.  Or not. That's why people have discussions.  You appear to be doing a bit of gatekeeping of this discussion with your last sentence.  But isn't that what opinion threads are about?  To state your opinion and hear other's opinions whether agreeing or disagreeing.

We don't make the rules of golf, and I play them as written, like them or not.  But I'm a competitive golfer.  Not all golfers are competitive golfers, right?  They go out to swing a club and have some fun.  I don't like music on the course, but as long as people are courteous I just play my game and let them play theirs.  Too many exceptions to list, really.   Golf has rules to level the playing field for everyone; to eliminate competitive advantage that make it unfair for other competitors.  I don't see how arm lock putting is an unfair advantage. Personally that doesn't seem to give anyone an unfair advantage as some use it and are still out-putted by those that don't, but if the USGA and R and A ban it, so be it.  They put a lot of thought and I'm sure discussion into each and every rule.  If they use discussion threads as a barometer of general public opinion, then these threads may be in some small way responsible for considering change.  Ultimately we, as the general public, have little say in the rules so we post our opinions and play the way we want.  And we seek out the opinions of others, talk about them, and use it as a way to engender a feeling of community amongst people who love the game.  Write on, play on, and keep thinking the way you want because whether a thought is right or wrong, it is still invaluable to golfers and is not bad for the game.  

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

2 hours ago, Cuzy51 said:

Question.... I see you were/are a bowler.  Should bowlers who bowl with no finger holes be banned?  Should two handed bowlers be allowed?  You have several pros that do it.  

I am not sure I understand the logic. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, Cuzy51 said:

All the other stuff you guys are having a hemorrhage with is another topic, plain and simple.

These discussions always tend to stray from the topic.  That's part of the fun.  But it would make for another good topic all on its own.

-XY

MGI electric cart

5 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Should bowlers who bowl with no finger holes be banned?

Was he a hat?  Just kidding!  😀

-XY

MGI electric cart

9 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

Or change the rules.  I think that's what this discussion thread is about.  If you don't like the discussion, you should adapt or not post.  Just kidding.  I like your posts, they amuse me.  And your opinion may be correct.  Or not. That's why people have discussions.  You appear to be doing a bit of gatekeeping of this discussion with your last sentence.  But isn't that what opinion threads are about?  To state your opinion and hear other's opinions whether agreeing or disagreeing.

We don't make the rules of golf, and I play them as written, like them or not.  But I'm a competitive golfer.  Not all golfers are competitive golfers, right?  They go out to swing a club and have some fun.  I don't like music on the course, but as long as people are courteous I just play my game and let them play theirs.  Too many exceptions to list, really.   Golf has rules to level the playing field for everyone; to eliminate competitive advantage that make it unfair for other competitors.  I don't see how arm lock putting is an unfair advantage. Personally that doesn't seem to give anyone an unfair advantage as some use it and are still out-putted by those that don't, but if the USGA and R and A ban it, so be it.  They put a lot of thought and I'm sure discussion into each and every rule.  If they use discussion threads as a barometer of general public opinion, then these threads may be in some small way responsible for considering change.  Ultimately we, as the general public, have little say in the rules so we post our opinions and play the way we want.  And we seek out the opinions of others, talk about them, and use it as a way to engender a feeling of community amongst people who love the game.  Write on, play on, and keep thinking the way you want because whether a thought is right or wrong, it is still invaluable to golfers and is not bad for the game.  

All these words and i have no idea wish you even said 

9 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Question.... I see you were/are a bowler.  Should bowlers who bowl with no finger holes be banned?  Should two handed bowlers be allowed?  You have several pros that do it.  

I am not sure I understand the logic. 

He does, he posted about that on the first page. Everything should be done his way by everyone

Why not make all putting techniques legal? As long as it’s the same for everyone.

Edited by Vertical

Driver: Titleist TSR2 10 degree Tensei AV Blue 55 shaft 

Fairway woods: TaylorMade Burner 15 degree and Titleist TS2 18 degree 

Irons: Ping G425 irons 5-PW w/ Alta CB graphite shafts

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 921 gap 51. Ping Glide sand wedge 56. Titleist Vokey SM-07 lob wedge 60

Grips: Golf Pride MCC midsize plus 4 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom (right and left handed)

Balls: Titleist Pro V1 and Titleist Velocity

On 4/17/2021 at 3:12 PM, LICC said:

Two hands on the putter is gripping it. Locking it against your arm is anchoring the stroke. Not for the pivot point but for the face rotation.  It shouldn’t be allowed. 

That is assuming that you don’t rotate your arm whatsoever. If I assumed your hands didn’t rotate at all then simply gripping the putter would anchor it for face rotation. 

My point is that your logic has a major assumption in it about the golfers ability. The truth is that it is anchored against a moving body and not a fixed one therefore it isn’t truly anchored. That holds the assumption that the golfer would not move their chest or belly in the pit stroke, but it’s not as drastic of an assumption given that you don’t have to move your chest or belly in order to make a stroke.l, whereas you must move your arms to make a putt stroke. I don’t mind it being legal at all. I don’t personally use one. I have considered using an armlock or broomstick not so much as a competitive advantage, but because if I were to switch to it I would be forced to practice putting more before I feel comfortable using it. 

Burningbush

Although I wouldn’t mine seeing the armlock method taken out of the game, I would really like to see the pendulum method banned.  I know that Vijay and Langer are honest players but it looks too much like the anchor that is banned.  It just seems like a very slight work around.

Honma TW-747 455 10.5* w/ Vizard 60R

Ping i20 #3 15* w/ Ping TFC 707 F Stiff

Ping i20 Hybrid 20* w/ Project X 5.5

Ping i20 4-PW w/ Recoil 65 F3

Ping Tour S 50* 54* 58* w/ Recoil 65 F3

TaylorMade Spider Tour

Well I have a LAB Broomstick with TPT shaft and come Tuesday my LAB Armlock is due to arrive. I've spent a good bit of money on both of these putters so that should tell you what I think about it! 💣

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

17 minutes ago, JLAude said:

Although I wouldn’t mine seeing the armlock method taken out of the game, I would really like to see the pendulum method banned.  I know that Vijay and Langer are honest players but it looks too much like the anchor that is banned.  It just seems like a very slight work around.

Doesn’t matter if it looks like the anchor, what matters is they aren’t.

What I would like to see is the ruling bodies to stop making rules based on optics.

i would also like to see the ruling bodies that are more in tuned with todays game but doubt that will happen because of how much they are caught up in the old school mindset of golf

Anchoring is anchoring! 

Armlock putting is anchoring. It may not be illegal now (like all forms of anchoring), but it should be...and would be except for USGA logic. (??)

Sub-70, Callaway, Mizuno, and Yes! Trying to shoot my age occasionlly.

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

Well I have a LAB Broomstick with TPT shaft and come Tuesday my LAB Armlock is due to arrive. I've spent a good bit of money on both of these putters so that should tell you what I think about it! 💣

... The rules is the rules. I wish you the best of luck with your new addition.  🧹 💪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... The rules is the rules. I wish you the best of luck with your new addition.  🧹 💪

Thanks partner!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, TDGeorge said:

Anchoring is anchoring! 

Armlock putting is anchoring. It may not be illegal now (like all forms of anchoring), but it should be...and would be except for USGA logic. (??)

Not all armlock is anchoring. The rules clearly define what is and what’s not.

the logic is explained in the rules. Pretty easy to read and understand why it’s not cheating. Nearly as black and white as it can get for a rule.

20 hours ago, JLAude said:

Of course its a work-around.  The Rules define what is and is not acceptable, these players have developed a way to use a long putter and still comply with the Rules.  And lest anyone forget, there are Rules Officials with them a lot of the time, watching (among other things) to verify that they continue to comply with the Rules.

17 hours ago, TDGeorge said:

Anchoring is anchoring! 

The R&A (along with the USGA) have to "draw lines" between what is acceptable and what is not.  They clearly consider that the body is an unmoving anchor point, and that the arm is a moving part of the body, so it is NOT an unmoving anchor.  That seems a pretty logical place to draw the line.

Edited by DaveP043

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Of course its a work-around.  The Rules define what is and is not acceptable, these players have developed a way to use a long putter and still comply with the Rules.  And lest anyone forgets, there are Rules Officials with them a lot of the time, watching (among other things) to verify that they continue to comply with the Rules.

The R&A (along with the USGA) have to "draw lines" between what is acceptable and what is not.  They clearly consider that the body is an unmoving anchor point, and that the arm is a moving part of the body, so it is NOT an unmoving anchor.  That seems a pretty logical place to draw the line.

I don’t know if it’s a work around. The rules were introduced in 2013. Matt Kutcher won with a putter braced against his arm in 2012 which would classify as an arm lock by today’s standards.

The main concern behind the rule was actually belly putters which had an extraodinários high success rate. People seem to think that brooms were the main concern and point to Bernhard Langer as the culprit, but belly putting and the likes of Vijay Singh were the bigger concerns when the rules were introduced, and it was only really after Keegan Bradley won a major in 2011 that they looked to change the rules. 7 players won on tour in 2011 with belly putters.

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

2 minutes ago, MissionMan said:

I don’t know if it’s a work around.

Prior to the rule change, players using the "broomstick" did anchor their top hand against their chest.  When that was made illegal, these guys learned to use their preferred putter without anchoring.  That's a workaround, in my book, and I'm fine with it.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia