Arm Lock Putting Should Be Illegal

58 minutes ago, LICC said:

The point is, contrary to what some people here insist, one of the best putters on Tour is saying that arm locking is an inappropriate method that removes a key element of the golf swing from the putting stroke and is akin to anchoring. Like I said ...

Again I don’t care what one of the best putters on tour says.  Some pros say it is fine others say it isn’t.  He is trying it and putted basically the same as he has putted historically.  
I understand you point, you don’t like it and think it should be banned. Quoting professionals, teachers, or other people won’t change my opinion.  Basically I don’t care what you have said…

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Again I don’t care what one of the best putters on tour says.  Some pros say it is fine others say it isn’t.  He is trying it and putted basically the same as he has putted historically.  
I understand you point, you don’t like it and think it should be banned. Quoting professionals, teachers, or other people won’t change my opinion.  Basically I don’t care what you have said…

Yes, this breaks down to caring about the purity of the golf swing being a part of the rules, or believing people should be able to hit the ball however they want. 

19 minutes ago, LICC said:

Yes, this breaks down to caring about the purity of the golf swing being a part of the rules, or believing people should be able to hit the ball however they want. 

Please stop quoting me.   As I have said there are lots of opinions on this and I don’t really care about your thoughts on this topic. 

• Like 4

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I honestly don't understand Xander's comment.  He's ranked #9 in Strokes Gained Putting.  No one ranked above him uses the armlock putter, so where's the advantage?  He may think there is an advantage, and maybe he can putt better using that stroke.  Let's see what happens.  His opinion isn't any more important that anyone else's.

Any putting stroke used on tour today is freely swung without anchoring to a stationary body part.  It takes skill to swing the putter down the line intended, even using a putter anchored to the forearm.  The forearm doesn't always swing where you want, and it can rotate.  Some can do it; some can't.  It is my opinion that armlock putting is a non-issue.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

I honestly don't understand Xander's comment.  He's ranked #9 in Strokes Gained Putting.  No one ranked above him uses the armlock putter, so where's the advantage?  He may think there is an advantage, and maybe he can putt better using that stroke.  Let's see what happens.  His opinion isn't any more important that anyone else's.

Any putting stroke used on tour today is freely swung without anchoring to a stationary body part.  It takes skill to swing the putter down the line intended, even using a putter anchored to the forearm.  The forearm doesn't always swing where you want, and it can rotate.  Some can do it; some can't.  It is my opinion that armlock putting is a non-issue.

Didnt you see my comment!? Opinions dont matter! (I kid, I kid)

Well said as usual by you my friend.

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Xander -0.8 SG putting today. it’s basically cheating!

• Haha 5

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Select Laguna

1 hour ago, Chip Strokes said:

Xander -0.8 SG putting today. it’s basically cheating!

Did anyone do better?  Maybe someone NOT using arm lock?  One day of good putting means nothing at all, or else people would think I'm the best putter ever, or maybe the worst ever, depending on the day.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Did anyone do better?  Maybe someone NOT using arm lock?  One day of good putting means nothing at all, or else people would think I'm the best putter ever, or maybe the worst ever, depending on the day.

You can see the stats here: https://datagolf.com/live-tournament-stats   Basically toward the bottom. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

are you asking if anyone putted better today?

if that’s the question, then of the top 42 in the field, Xander had the 3rd worst day in terms of SG putting. 

i understand one day doesn’t make someone great or terrible, my comment was tongue in cheek pointed at the outrage of armlock being such a huge advantage 

• Like 3

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Select Laguna

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

What you don’t know is if he would have putted worse without using the armlock. 

13 minutes ago, LICC said:

What you don’t know is if he would have putted worse without using the armlock. 

We should not dive into that hypothetical as it would open up way too many "what ifs" and lead us further down the rabbit hole then we already are. 
In the end it is legal now and until the regulating bodies deem it illegal we will see players use it or try it, until then it doesn't really matter what we or other players think. Even belly putting took a season or two to phase out. So if they said yes it is illegal tomorrow, we would likely still see it as a form of putting on tour for at the very least another season if not two. Many OEM's are making putters with this style in mind so I don't see it going away anytime fast. 
F1 has a lot of good comparisons for technology being brought in and being protested and so on. See Mercs DAS system or the more recent flexi front and rear wings on cars. They have ways of protesting these systems to see if they are within regulations or not with varying degrees of conclusions or penalties. I am sure if players really thought it gave them that much of a benefit we would either see all of them adapt it or those who refused call it out for being illegal. 
Sports evolve and golf is no different, lets enjoy the game and some incredible shots/putts being made regardless of how someone swings or putts rather then bicker over things we have absolutely zero control over and truly has no effect on our games other then maybe us buying new clubs. 

• Like 5

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

Gonna get this out the way now. I will not respond to any replies to this post so don’t bother quoting it. I’m gonna say this and then forget this thread exists. 

If Xander had any true convictions about armlock needing to be banned due to it being an advantage or against the purity of the game(not sure he used this wording or if it was just mentioned in this thread), he WOULD NOT be using it!  Period!  The fact that he is using it “while it is legal” means he may think it is an advantage but he absolutely can not believe it is an improper stroke otherwise he is a hypocrite. 

• Like 5

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

1 hour ago, Apolloshowl said:

I am sure if players really thought it gave them that much of a benefit we would either see all of them adapt it

I don’t understand this line of argument. Just because an inappropriate method may only work for some people and not others doesn’t make it any less inappropriate.

1 minute ago, LICC said:

I don’t understand this line of argument. Just because an inappropriate method may only work for some people and not others doesn’t make it any less inappropriate.

Again I'm not going to get sucked down the rabbit hole... It isn't like arm lock is brand new, it has been around for years and years so not sure why now it is a issue. What I said is pretty self explanatory and much like BNG I am going to leave it at that and put my content into other threads.
Cheers all!

• Like 4

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

I don't see it as any more an advantage than belly putter/anchoring.  One still needs to perfect whatever method they choose to use.  Interesting point about the grip position and whether that aspect of what Horschel brought up was legal... sounds like it is.  Further, it makes sense to position the flat surface against the forearm.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Interesting to hear that X-man just made the switch to the arm-lock putter... trying to better his #9 position at SG putting. I couldn't tell (as yet) whether his grip is rotated 90 degrees.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

David Duval on the US Open coverage on Golf Channel right now said that arm locking is within the language of the rule but against the spirit of the game.

16 minutes ago, LICC said:

David Duval on the US Open coverage on Golf Channel right now said that arm locking is within the language of the rule but against the spirit of the game.

Duval and I disagree, I'm sure this isn't the only issue on which we disagree.  Chances are I've played for longer than Duval, perhaps my opinion is more valuable based on that greater length of experience.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Mark crossfield just posted a video and states he saw no performance difference when comparing an armlock and standard putter on puttlab.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

... Always an interesting topic. I think arm lock putting doesn't give anyone an advantage but I do think it tremendously helps those with nerve/yip problems. I am not a fan as I think it takes the feee moving element, which is what causes so many problems for players, out if the equation. I would love to see it banned from competition but allowed for Am's that suffer the yips. It is excruciating watching someone other little nerve control and yipping short putts after hitting the ball relatively well from the to green. But in the end, as others have already stated, it is legal and what we think is irrelevant until or even if they decide it takes an element of skill out of putting. 

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 Cobra SZ 18.5* ... Even Flow 75R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Limited 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)