Arm Lock Putting Should Be Illegal

On 4/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, cnosil said:

Also,  in the article Horschel states:

"I think when you look at what guys are doing now with the arm lock and moving the grips to the side where it's parallel or matches the face and then when you do that up against your arm, I mean, it's—you know that face is dead square and that face doesn't rotate at all," Horschel continuted. "It's just sort of locked in. Guys are doing it too good."

To my knowledge there isn't anything in the rules that states you can't turn your normal putting grip to the side and use the flat part against your lead hand and accomplish the same thing.  You could go a little farther up and use the Superstroke wrist lock grip which basically does what I am describing but locks it in the wrist.  

Horschel should use the armlock then maybe he'd be a better putter. He's a whinner 

• Like 2
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay,  I'll bite.    Everyone has opinions on this and that is fine.   You may not like armlock,  but it isn't cheating and you may want to make it illegal. The rules are about anchoring the end

Sorry you don't think my opinions have an substance.    If you can say that armlock is anchoring, I can say that using different grips gives players competitive advantage and improves their performanc

unless a handful of guys who switch to armlock star tearing though rounds with 20 putts, this seems like an awful lot of wasted energy and key strokes 

Posted Images

Silly argument. Arm lock putting is not illegal because the rules allow it. Period. With the blowback that the USGA had from the PGA of America about banning the anchoring of long putters I doubt that the USGA is in any mood to ban the arm lock method. Golfers go to other methods of putting when they feel like they can not putt with a short putter any more. Everyone that uses these methods are basically putting cripples and 99 out of a hundred that try it do not putt a bit better. Growing the game is in the best interest of all golfers and banning any method that does not let you stand behind the ball to putt is not beneficial to growing the game. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Brinkie said:

I don't understand why the USGA and RGA don't put a max putter length in the rules.  That would get rid of all this.

I'm pretty sure that no club may be longer than 48 inches.  Not even a putter.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, Brinkie said:

I don't understand why the USGA and RGA don't put a max putter length in the rules.  That would get rid of all this.

It is in the rules:  The overall length of the club must be at least 18 inches (0.457m) and, except for putters, must not exceed 48 inches (1.219m).

We could make if 35" but  I can still armlock with a 35" putter.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Heck I bought the same grip ($32.00 freaking dollars)that Bryson uses, turned the flat side against my forearm, and still couldn’t make it work Consistently!especially from long distances. Hell it’s akin to using a blue tick or a redbone hound. Neither one works well for all coon hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

Horschel should use the armlock then maybe he'd be a better putter. He's a whinner 

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It is in the rules:  The overall length of the club must be at least 18 inches (0.457m) and, except for putters, must not exceed 48 inches (1.219m).

We could make if 35" but  I can still armlock with a 35" putter.  

You're correct, I was wrong, I should learn to check the rule before I type.  Even so, the armlock users aren't using really long putters, not as long as the nearly chin-height putters used by Scott and Langer.  And a putter that's appropriate for a tall player would be easy to armlock for a shorter player.  The length would have to be pretty short to eliminate the armlock stroke.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I tried arm lock today for the first time. I had a two ball long putter that I sawed off to 41 inches. I have to say it worked pretty good' especially the longer than 10 foot putts. I found that I was less inclined to change the face angle just before contact so that the ball usually went where I was aiming and my distance control was better. Shorter putts were a little more difficult though. The reason was that the stance is uncomfortable getting used too. Having to use the Claw grip contributed because you have to lean over much more.

Only one three putt today versus the normal four or five.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The length would have to be pretty short to eliminate the armlock stroke.

Yep,  If I go left hand low,  I can "armlock" my 35" putter a few inches above the wrist. 

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This whole thing came off as “whining” to me, “they are doing it too good” really???? So should hybrids be illegal because some guys hit them too good? Should stiff wristed wedge shots be illegal because Steve Stricker is so good at it??

If you think it’s an advantage then learn to putt that way

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I know there is a max length rule I was saying it should be shorter for putters..36" max, you could still arm lock but would have to change so much

Golf without a cigar has not been a good use of time.

I know there is a max length rule I was saying it should be shorter for putters..36" max, you could still arm lock but would have to change so much

You acknowledge you can still armlock with 36” so why cut it off there. How would you account for a tall player with short arms that needs longer to do a conventional grip. Basically you are telling that person sorry you can’t putt like everyone else you need to find a different way, we had to make a rule to stop those armlock people.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You acknowledge you can still armlock with 36” so why cut it off there. How would you account for a tall player with short arms that needs longer to do a conventional grip. Basically you are telling that person sorry you can’t putt like everyone else you need to find a different way, we had to make a rule to stop those armlock people.

Then why have a limit on any clubs? Or do what should be done- ban the armlock for being an improper golf stroke

If you look at Horshel’s grip of the putter, you’ll notice that

the putter if firmly locked on his wrist. Billy is a good player

with a great golf swing. However he challenges Speith in the

whining department. Shut up and play Billy, you can control

only your own play. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, LICC said:

Then why have a limit on any clubs? Or do what should be done- ban the armlock for being an improper golf stroke

@cnosil hits his 4h way more consistently than i hit my 4i.  do what should be done and take that out of his hands  

i think the ruling bodies should make it so that everyone has to hit irons with the same length and loft as me to make things fair. 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

16 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

@cnosil hits his 4h way more consistently than i hit my 4i.  do what should be done and take that out of his hands  

i think the ruling bodies should make it so that everyone has to hit irons with the same length and loft as me to make things fair. 

I don't think you understood the comments. The point is to NOT restrict club length, but to disallow the improper technique.

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

I don't think you understood the comments. The point is to NOT restrict club length, but to disallow the improper technique.

This is getting carried away. There is no proper technique to swing a club or putter. Everybody does things differently in their swing due to any number of physical or mental limitations. 

Also as far as armlock being an advantage, it is only an advantage if you can do something NOBODY else can do. Anybody can use the armlock therefore it is not an advantage. I am sure Billy and others have tried armlock and decided on their OWN that the benefits did NOT outweigh the negatives. 

Play however you want with whatever equipment you want and abide by the rules for any tourney you enter. It isn’t that hard to understand or figure out. All your doing is coming off as whiny as a multimillionaire complaining that somebody putts better than him. 

• Like 6

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

6 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

This is getting carried away. There is no proper technique to swing a club or putter. Everybody does things differently in their swing due to any number of physical or mental limitations. 

Also as far as armlock being an advantage, it is only an advantage if you can do something NOBODY else can do. Anybody can use the armlock therefore it is not an advantage. I am sure Billy and others have tried armlock and decided on their OWN that the benefits did NOT outweigh the negatives. 

Play however you want with whatever equipment you want and abide by the rules for any tourney you enter. It isn’t that hard to understand or figure out. All your doing is coming off as whiny as a multimillionaire complaining that somebody putts better than him. 

The USGA has ruled that anchoring a belly putter is an improper technique to swing a putter.

6 minutes ago, LICC said:

The USGA has ruled that anchoring a belly putter is an improper technique to swing a putter.

Let’s just say I call it an illegal stroke not an improper technique. 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip