Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Help me choose a golf ball...

A few of us had a good laugh the other day in the “Got Problems” thread the other day when @Shapotomousmade a joke about myself and @dlow206 club ho-ing. It was all in fun, but in all seriousness, making the changes I did this year was more out of necessity than change for changes sake. It was way more frustrating than enjoyable, believe me.
I’m about to turn 67, and in the previous year and a half my game really changed. I lost SS, and not going to the gym during the pandemic didn’t  help. Before that, the newest club in my bag was over 3 years old, but it quickly became obvious my old setup was no longer a good fit for me and I needed to make changes.
So the “ho” journey began over a year ago when I bought my first set of regular flex graphite irons. It took me two more tries to get the set that was right/comfortable for me. That made me realize my 3 wood and hybrid setup was wrong for me also, so down the rabbit hole I went, getting a 4 wood and lighter more lofted hybrids.
Along the way I got some great suggestions/advice from @cnosil and @chisag. They helped me with answers/comments on my iron shaft, hybrid and FW selection and wedge setup.
The final piece to the puzzle was a new driver. I went from 9* to a 10.5* with a much lighter shaft. So now the bag is set, but I’m wondering about what type of ball to play, and if it will make a big difference. I’m always at a loss with this, because to be honest, I can rarely tell the difference between one or the other. For the last two years I played Srixon Q Stars, and I picked up 4 dozen Chrome Soft free with rewards points from CPO that I’ll try out when my back is feeling good again.

What i think I prefer is something soft feeling, but what I’m looking for is something that will launch high and give me some extra distance. Is that possible, or am I asking too much of a golf ball?

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

2 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

What i think I prefer is something soft feeling, but what I’m looking for is something that will launch high and give me some extra distance. Is that possible, or am I asking too much of a golf ball?

Try the Top Flight Gamer. It launches high and has a soft feel and is as long as a Pro V1.  I just shot 69 with one today. Trust me I am not a Top Flight fan but these are actually good and plenty of value for the price.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Titleist Trufeel might be one to try. I am trying it right now and it sounds like what you might be looking for. Another sneaky good ball with that description is the Wilson 50/50 elite. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

1 hour ago, Bossfan said:

Titleist Trufeel might be one to try. I am trying it right now and it sounds like what you might be looking for. Another sneaky good ball with that description is the Wilson 50/50 elite. 

I agree on the Trufeel that is decent as well. I didn't like the SoftFeel. It doesn't even last a full round before getting cut up (that's with keeping it in play). 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

6 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

blah blah blah....blah blah......

So now the bag is set,

Blah, Blah Blah....

I can smell your pants on fire all the way up here!!!   😁

Oh...and for a softer ball......hmmmmm.... Over the winter i used Chrome soft and they were good in the cold weather.  I prefer something firmer during warmer temps though so I am back to the Snellsnow.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Bridgestone Tour BRX or BRXS.  As soft or softer than the Chrome Soft.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

I'm kind of the same - the sad fact is I don't get to play much, and at age 71.  Over the past few years, I've tried lots of balls - and really can't tell a lot of difference.  But, I was delighted with the Mizuno 566V - and right under that in the plain 566.  They don't feel like a rock, are fairly straight (yea, that driver slice still shows up but it wasn't as bad as with other balls), had plenty of stopping power on greens, and are reasonably durable - is three rounds asking too much?  They aren't usually in Golf Galaxy, but you can get them direct from MizUSA - and are reasonably priced!

Picking a ball is somewhat personal and what one person likes someone else doesn’t. It also comes down to ones swing as well.

The balls that fit your wants are probably going to be. Finding the right ball from a group will take some on course testing from the green back to the tee. Some balls are going to perform better in certain areas than others. Pick the one that gives you the best chance to play your best golf

Bridgeton RX or RXS

Srixon Q star

chrome soft

Titleist truefeel

Wilson duo soft+ 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There are a lot of good options out there. Did you check out the new Ball lab? https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-golf-ball-quality-comparison-tool/
Also nearly 2 years old now, but still something I reference from time to time is this https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/
I normally use Srixon Z star or XV, but have used the Q start and Q star Tour before and really liked both of time. 
What about the TM replacement of the project(a)? I forget exactly what its called, but it was a great golf ball especially in price and was able to give a lot of great results for many. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 2 weeks later...

Some years back I did my own ball fitting.  I went to a Big Box store and bought six sleeves of different golf balls.  Played six rounds using one ball brand per round.  Bought only Urethane cover balls.  Kept track of my stats for each round.  The winner was Bridgestone B RX with the longest driver distance.  Spin for me was OK.  But now my favorite balls are Srixon Z Star and TP5.  I'm a high handicap. but those two balls have good distance and even I can great great spin on the greens when hit flush.  Good luck on your search.