Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Zurich Classic

fixyurdivot

The Zurich Classic is back.  A team play event since 2017 that is always entertaining.  Some new faces in the field including Collin Morikawa who is partnered with Matthew Wolff.  I had initially believed playing partners were randomly selected, but that is not the case.  The top 80 ranked players who have elected to participate may choose their partners.  I wonder how that works out when a particular player is asked by multiples others?  Are their any teams that catch your eye as being the odd couple?  I keep hoping to see a Thomas/Speith or Johnson/Koepka pairing at some point but not this year.

Clearly Rahm & Palmer are looking to repeat but I kind of like the Cameron Smith/Marc Leishman and the Billy Horschel/Sam Burns teams.  Which team do you think hoists the hardware?

image.png.ec9624b218de846bcb8ccb7db80690df.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I was hoping to get Tour Truck access, but it’s not looking good. Ugh. Man. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

I was hoping to get Tour Truck access, but it’s not looking good. Ugh. Man. 

I was thinking about you when I was typing TPC Louisiana in the thread tags.  We held a handful of our technical society meetings in New Orleans over the years and I always enjoyed the atmosphere there... especially oysters on the half shell 😍.

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I was thinking about you when I was typing TPC Louisiana in the thread tags.  We held a handful of our technical society meetings in New Orleans over the years and I always enjoyed the atmosphere there... especially oysters on the half shell 😍.

I needed to have a few appointments down there this week to be able to get to the tournament. Ugh. Hopefully I’ll be able to play it in a few weeks. The twilight rate for Louisiana residents is awesome. No doubt the food in NOLA is the best! 

3604C36E-2BFA-4211-B789-F8FF8CB8B718.jpeg

CC3FA6B9-6B1E-4D27-8327-DF8332617C78.jpeg

6273FCFA-D7BF-4287-97A4-3807607294C2.jpeg

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

I needed to have a few appointments down there this week to be able to get to the tournament. Ugh. Hopefully I’ll be able to play it in a few weeks. The twilight rate for Louisiana residents is awesome. No doubt the food in NOLA is the best! 

3604C36E-2BFA-4211-B789-F8FF8CB8B718.jpeg

CC3FA6B9-6B1E-4D27-8327-DF8332617C78.jpeg

6273FCFA-D7BF-4287-97A4-3807607294C2.jpeg

Oh yea, those aren't any good all 🙂. One of my colleagues was also a hot sauce lover - his Scoville threshold a few ticks north of mine.  There were specialty shops with seemingly a hundred different spice sauces and it was a hoot just looking at all the labels.  One of the shops we visited had a locked cabinet behind the register that the owner tapped into to meet Dave's how hot can I go quest.  I recall him warning us about not getting this near our eyes, using real sparingly, and washing your hands after use 🔥.

So a week later at work he tells us that he made a LARGE pot of spaghetti sauce in which he added a few drops.  None of the kids or his wife could tolerate it (all like hot, spicy stuff) and it was pretty much at his threshold... a guy who eats raw Habaneros at lunch 😱.

The Zurich sure is a different event with Pros partnering up. I thought I had read somewhere that top 30 or 50 players couldn't partner with each other, which would eliminate those dream pairings from dominating the field. Maybe that's not the case. I did find this on the PGA website when I tried to look it up. 

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2017/04/17/zurich-classic-team-format-how-it-works.html

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

1 hour ago, DannyDips said:

The Zurich sure is a different event with Pros partnering up. I thought I had read somewhere that top 30 or 50 players couldn't partner with each other, which would eliminate those dream pairings from dominating the field. Maybe that's not the case. I did find this on the PGA website when I tried to look it up. 

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2017/04/17/zurich-classic-team-format-how-it-works.html

That makes sense except the Morikawa/Wolfe, Palmer/Rahm and some others don't meet that restriction.  I've been trying to find the definitive scoop/rules on how these pairings are managed but thus far not finding anything concrete. Anyone else know the rules on this?

On 4/19/2021 at 6:08 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Oh yea, those aren't any good all 🙂. One of my colleagues was also a hot sauce lover - his Scoville threshold a few ticks north of mine.  There were specialty shops with seemingly a hundred different spice sauces and it was a hoot just looking at all the labels.  One of the shops we visited had a locked cabinet behind the register that the owner tapped into to meet Dave's how hot can I go quest.  I recall him warning us about not getting this near our eyes, using real sparingly, and washing your hands after use 🔥.

So a week later at work he tells us that he made a LARGE pot of spaghetti sauce in which he added a few drops.  None of the kids or his wife could tolerate it (all like hot, spicy stuff) and it was pretty much at his threshold... a guy who eats raw Habaneros at lunch 😱.

Gotta love southern food and I live for the spice. That sandwich looks great!

Ping G400 SFT

Wilson Optimax 3 Wood and 4 Hybrid

Tommy Armour 845s 5i-9i, PW, AW

Texan 56 and 60 degree Wedges

Kirkland Signature KS1 

On 4/19/2021 at 1:48 PM, fixyurdivot said:

That makes sense except the Morikawa/Wolfe, Palmer/Rahm and some others don't meet that restriction.  I've been trying to find the definitive scoop/rules on how these pairings are managed but thus far not finding anything concrete. Anyone else know the rules on this?

It seems like it something no publisher gets around to asking about what keeps the best players from pairing up. I mean besides what has been stated. Either when it first started to now it seems like everyone kinda skirts around this detail and it just seems to be at the player's discretion. 

I mean this article mentions how great of a pairing Morikawa/Wolfe is but they don't ask why more top players don't do it more often or why two top 5 players are allowed to play with each other. Of course they do talk about how chemistry seems to play a part in choosing your partner. So maybe egos are why don't have more top heavy power pairings.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-zurich-classic-team-strategy-xander-schauffele-patrick-cantlay-collin-morikawa-jon-rahm-justin-rose-henrik-stenson

In regards to the Schauffele(5)/Cantlay(10) pairings-

“I think you definitely want to get along with who your partner is and then you want to grab the best player you can possibly grab,” said Patrick Cantlay, who will tee it up with Xander Schauffele this week.

It helps, too, that they’ve become fast friends. At the 2019 Presidents Cup, Schauffele and Cantlay, each with a sense of humor ranging from dry to sarcastic, bonded over nightly dinners and card games. On the course, they played four matches together, going 2-2 for the week, but scored a key Saturday afternoon foursomes win over Sungjae Im and Cameron Smith as playing captain Tiger Woods sat out. The victory helped close the gap on the Internationals and the Americans went on to complete the comeback in singles the next day.

They’ve been regular practice round partners on tour since."

Ping G400 SFT

Wilson Optimax 3 Wood and 4 Hybrid

Tommy Armour 845s 5i-9i, PW, AW

Texan 56 and 60 degree Wedges

Kirkland Signature KS1 

Palmer/Rahm looks good to me....But...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I suspect this is why Reed chooses to skip this event... simply way too many requests from top players wanting to pair up and him not wanting to hurt anyone's feeling.

Spoiler

Laughing Hysterically GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

What I like most about this tournament is a chance to pick those in my fantasy sports league I'd otherwise never pick - like Scott Brown, Danny Willett, Kris Ventura, Talor Gooch; oh and Rahm and Horschel too...

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Wolf/Morikawa and Cantlay/Schauffele are two solid pairings for the big easy. Have not had a chance to get down to NOLA, great food/music and site seeing locations from what I’ve been told. COVID unfortunately stopped me from being there for a bachelor party which I’ve heard has saved me and my bank account from the tomfoolery that would have occurred 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

It’s fun to watch Cam Champ and Tony Finau together this week. Bombs away!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Morikawa/Wolfe sporting some smack attire.  Is it time for Matt to consider losing the "strangest ignition in golf"? 😆

20 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Morikawa/Wolfe sporting some smack attire.  Is it time for Matt to consider losing the "strangest ignition in golf"? 😆

well that smack attire smacked them in the face today. ugh

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

well that smack attire smacked them in the face today. ugh

Yea, they really stunk it up.  Wolfe is just somewhere else presently... some serious funk.  Just heard the backstory on how the Watson/Scheffler pairing came to be.  Neither could get anyone to team up with them 🤣.  So far, it's proving a good marriage.

They keep talking about the tightly mown Bermuda around the greens and how tough it is to hit off of it... Heck, that’s all-day-everyday around here!!!!!! They’re pros......

55 minutes ago, PMookie said:

They keep talking about the tightly mown Bermuda around the greens and how tough it is to hit off of it... Heck, that’s all-day-everyday around here!!!!!! They’re pros......

I must say that some dang good hybrid and fairway wood putts have been executed.  Could this spell doom for the wedge industry? 

I must say that some dang good hybrid and fairway wood putts have been executed.  Could this spell doom for the wedge industry? 

And the Putter Mfg

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

13 hours ago, Rickp said:

And the Putter Mfgemoji33.png

Nah, they were great lags, likely better results than they would have produced with a wedge, but still required a flat stick to finish the task. I cannot recall an event where that many players have been using this technique.  Like @PMookiementioned, the broadcast crew have been talking up the Bermuda grass mix/cut height and how challenging they are for chipping.  From what I can tell on the TV, those aprons look like billiard tables and I'd just use my putter.  The only time I use my 3w as a putter is situations where I have to come across (or go through) a short distance of longer shag before getting too the short grass.  

56 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nah, they were great lags, likely better results than they would have produced with a wedge, but still required a flat stick to finish the task. I cannot recall an event where that many players have been using this technique.  Like @PMookiementioned, the broadcast crew have been talking up the Bermuda grass mix/cut height and how challenging they are for chipping.  From what I can tell on the TV, those aprons look like billiard tables and I'd just use my putter.  The only time I use my 3w as a putter is situations where I have to come across (or go through) a short distance of longer shag before getting too the short grass.  

There isn’t a course in Louisiana that I’ve played the last two years that doesn’t have these shaved aprons. The issue they present when chipping is the grain... It’s next to impossible for an amateur to chip/pitch well from these areas, and still very difficult for pros. I played in a number of tournaments with college players here, and almost every one of them putted from these areas, said how difficult it was to predict how a wedge would react, and therefore where the ball would finish. Short Bermuda grain into you? No way. The wedge will not glide through, it just catches and digs. Grain with the player? Definitely putt! Anyway, it’s silly tough, even a putter can catch the grain in the shaved areas, so players tend to hit the top half of the ball to protect against that.

There isn’t a course in Louisiana that I’ve played the last two years that doesn’t have these shaved aprons. The issue they present when chipping is the grain... It’s next to impossible for an amateur to chip/pitch well from these areas, and still very difficult for pros. I played in a number of tournaments with college players here, and almost every one of them putted from these areas, said how difficult it was to predict how a wedge would react, and therefore where the ball would finish. Short Bermuda grain into you? No way. The wedge will not glide through, it just catches and digs. Grain with the player? Definitely putt! Anyway, it’s silly tough, even a putter can catch the grain in the shaved areas, so players tend to hit the top half of the ball to protect against that.

Yep, I am sure to make an ascending stroke with whatever club I’m hitting for those shots be it putter, fairway or in prior days, hybrid.

We now have a practice area for them behind our back range.

Does anyone know if this tournament counts towards the World Golf Rankings. I seem to remember that it does.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Anyone really that surprised?  Great finish. 

I saw a Tweet about how awesome would this finish be if this were the format for the Olympics? Oh, man!!! South Africa and Australia in a playoff for GOLD?! That would be insane!!!!

Felt like someone needed to leave this here....

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)