TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can I break 80 before the baby (6 months)

Hey guys, looking to have a little fun with this post. My wife and I are pregnant with our first child, and my golf game is evolving. My wife is due in October and I think it would be a fun goal to chronicle my game as I try to break 80 before the baby. It won't consist of anything crazy with playing more than I would each week, a 9 during the week and likely 18 on the weekend, with 1-2x at the range. I recently became a member at a local semi private course. http://www.stonewatergolf.com/-the-course. The link has the overall course layout with the scorecard for all those that are interested.  I am new to the game of golf over the last ~2.5 years. Last year the overall goal was to break 100 and consistency be in the 90's. Now this year I am finding that my game has improved with ball striking, my driver, and putting. I played this weekend didn't have the best round this year but put up a respectable 88 for myself. 

I had a great practice session before the round, but the kiss of death occurred when the head teaching pro stopped me on the way to the tee box saying how he watching me on the range Saturday, "hell of a swing, how'd you play yesterday", Funny part is I didn't play that day. I play with 2 members, coincidentally I have known them since high school which works out well. I end up getting a birdie on the first hole "Kiss of death" the double train started for the next few holes. Managed a 45 on the front with only one birdie, the back 9 3 pars and a birdie, to finish off with a 43 for final score of 88. I 

I look forward to the challenge, I have a free bag assessment, and a 1hour lesson complimentary of my new membership. 

My wife is enjoying this challenge as well and is fully on board with my golf game and playing schedule. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Congrats on the baby!!  And don't worry it will be years before the baby will be able to break 80 so you have lots of time to dial in your game!!  😁

Breaking 90 after only playing for a couple years is pretty good.  I know lots of people that play decades and can't do that!  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

@Shapotomousthanks, I really appreciate it. I thinks it’s a testament to practice and being able to understand mechanics. I was a decent baseball player in high school, but I’ve come to Learn having success in those two sports don’t exactly translate equally. 

I should also note that I recently got fitted over the winter for some new irons. My first set of fitted clubs. Which does take some of the toe dig shots out of the round 

Edited by RollingGreens
Tagging

Titleist ProV1

Congrats! I think you can do it, after the improvement I saw over last season when we played. New irons should help a ton.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Congrats on the baby, I think you will do it as well.  October is right around end of season so that works out well for this year with the timing.  I can tell you at least for me, the first child didn't slow it down too much.  It was the 2nd and 3rd that slowed everything down quite a bit more.  Especially the first year when they kids aren't as mobile, so next summer you probably will have some time too.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

So here is the million dollar question. What are you doing to improve your game? Do you know where you are losing shots?

And congrats on the baby and good luck with your quest.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Congrats! I think you can do it, after the improvement I saw over last season when we played. New irons should help a ton.

Take Dead Aim

So far it has been paying off. I know I am leaving a lot of strokes in the course but at this time my scores are still below 90 vs trying to sneak in under 100. The big 30 Yard slice is gone for good it seems off the tee!!

Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

So here is the million dollar question. What are you doing to improve your game? Do you know where you are losing shots?

And congrats on the baby and good luck with your quest.

I’m still very much learning my course. I have been tinkering with different methods of playing each holes. Most times I’ve played wind has been a large factor effecting some off my longer iron shots as I have a higher ball flight. Working on lowering my flight. The easier holes where my plan has been more to hit a hybrid or longer iron has not paid off. I should be scoring better on the short par 4s. I’m going to give my 3 wood a try vs the longer hybrid/iron until the heat really picks up here. My putting is still improving and it’s definitely can help me save a few strokes. It’s a combination of my driver and irons to hit more greens. My driver is hitting fairways but the course is not a hitters course. You need to be precise with location to set up the second shots on a few holes. I am only hitting 35% of greens early on, which is my big focus currently. In my opinion it should help me shave off 5-7 strokes. 

one downside to the course is that none of the par 5s are truely scorable to pick up any strokes. 

Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Good luck.  I broke Par for the first time one month before my 1st was born.  Have a 4 year old and 10 month old now and best round has been 74. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The race is on🤞🏻

Titleist ProV1

10:30 tee time this morning. I’m feeling good about a little break through! Playing 18 with some new members who I haven’t met before, hopefully they’re a couple of gents

Titleist ProV1

On 4/19/2021 at 7:50 AM, RollingGreens said:

Hey guys, looking to have a little fun with this post. My wife and I are pregnant with our first child, and my golf game is evolving. My wife is due in October and I think it would be a fun goal to chronicle my game as I try to break 80 before the baby. It won't consist of anything crazy with playing more than I would each week, a 9 during the week and likely 18 on the weekend, with 1-2x at the range. I recently became a member at a local semi private course. http://www.stonewatergolf.com/-the-course. The link has the overall course layout with the scorecard for all those that are interested.  I am new to the game of golf over the last ~2.5 years. Last year the overall goal was to break 100 and consistency be in the 90's. Now this year I am finding that my game has improved with ball striking, my driver, and putting. I played this weekend didn't have the best round this year but put up a respectable 88 for myself. 

I had a great practice session before the round, but the kiss of death occurred when the head teaching pro stopped me on the way to the tee box saying how he watching me on the range Saturday, "hell of a swing, how'd you play yesterday", Funny part is I didn't play that day. I play with 2 members, coincidentally I have known them since high school which works out well. I end up getting a birdie on the first hole "Kiss of death" the double train started for the next few holes. Managed a 45 on the front with only one birdie, the back 9 3 pars and a birdie, to finish off with a 43 for final score of 88. I 

I look forward to the challenge, I have a free bag assessment, and a 1hour lesson complimentary of my new membership. 

My wife is enjoying this challenge as well and is fully on board with my golf game and playing schedule. 

Better break 80 now, because that time won’t be there after! If you want to keep golfing, don’t have more than one child!!! 😂😂😂

Wishing you, Mom, and baby all of the health and happiness possible!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

25 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Better break 80 now, because that time won’t be there after! If you want to keep golfing, don’t have more than one child!!! 😂😂😂

Wishing you, Mom, and baby all of the health and happiness possible!!!

Thanks I really appreciate all the support for me, my wife, and future child!!

Titleist ProV1

Congrats on the upcoming birth of your first. I'd get as much golf in as you can before October since things will change drastically after. Keep us posted on your scoring and improvements achieved. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Well guys. I fell short today. 43 on the front I was off to a great start. Missed 2 putts I wish I could have back and 1 OB that was a big mistake with a 7 iron standing up in my downswing. Back was rough 49. I had a decent start, but played 14-17 on the double train which was a killer. The positive were 79% fairways hit. My driver since changing to the Tensei shaft has been a fairway finder, distance at 250+, only lost 2 balls on the front. 1 as stated above and the other going in the water in 7 which got me in the past. I think I am orientating my body poorly. The bad of the round 31 putts. No low it’s not all a result of bad putting but my irons stink right now. My accuracy to the green is poor. I haves why myself up in great scoring position off the tee but 7-my wedges are hot garbage. I’ll be taking the next few weeks to clean things up and likely use my free lesson with the club pro. I wish I could say it’s one thing but I’m all over, poor striking and placement. I don’t think it’s a big fix needed but I do need to make some adjustments because being that accurate off the tee with my driver should not yield that type of score 

Titleist ProV1

On 4/24/2021 at 2:17 PM, RollingGreens said:

Well guys. I fell short today. 43 on the front I was off to a great start. Missed 2 putts I wish I could have back and 1 OB that was a big mistake with a 7 iron standing up in my downswing. Back was rough 49. I had a decent start, but played 14-17 on the double train which was a killer. The positive were 79% fairways hit. My driver since changing to the Tensei shaft has been a fairway finder, distance at 250+, only lost 2 balls on the front. 1 as stated above and the other going in the water in 7 which got me in the past. I think I am orientating my body poorly. The bad of the round 31 putts. No low it’s not all a result of bad putting but my irons stink right now. My accuracy to the green is poor. I haves why myself up in great scoring position off the tee but 7-my wedges are hot garbage. I’ll be taking the next few weeks to clean things up and likely use my free lesson with the club pro. I wish I could say it’s one thing but I’m all over, poor striking and placement. I don’t think it’s a big fix needed but I do need to make some adjustments because being that accurate off the tee with my driver should not yield that type of score 

31 putts in general is a good number and isn’t what’s holding you back. Sub 30 putts per round is not the norm unless you are hitting 5 GIR or less and have a good short game. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

10 hours ago, BMart519 said:

31 putts in general is a good number and isn’t what’s holding you back. Sub 30 putts per round is not the norm unless you are hitting 5 GIR or less and have a good short game. 

It’s really boils down to my iron and wedges play right now. Not taking advantage of being in prime position to hit greens is killing me and leaving me in poor position. Went out for a practice round off the back 9 since the weather was cooler and weren’t many people out and hit my irons and wedges from different spots. It seems that my tempo plays a big factor with my irons

Titleist ProV1

My money is on the baby breaking 80 first.

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

3 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

It’s really boils down to my iron and wedges play right now. Not taking advantage of being in prime position to hit greens is killing me and leaving me in poor position. Went out for a practice round off the back 9 since the weather was cooler and weren’t many people out and hit my irons and wedges from different spots. It seems that my tempo plays a big factor with my irons

100% - you can't score if you can't get it on or near the green in reg. 

My two 18 hole rounds this year:
84 - 9 GIR, 29% FWY, 34 putts (4x 3 putts), 0 penalties
90 - 2 GIR, 67% FWY, 32 putts (0x 3 putts), 3 penalties

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

100% - you can't score if you can't get it on or near the green in reg. 

My two 18 hole rounds this year:
84 - 9 GIR, 29% FWY, 34 putts (4x 3 putts), 0 penalties
90 - 2 GIR, 67% FWY, 32 putts (0x 3 putts), 3 penalties

This is so true two rounds this year had the same pattern, first one was near the green most holes scored well with a 79. Then on the next round slightly more unlucky tee shots and longer pitches resulted in worse scoring 81 (but got lucky with some putting). That short game is such as big factor and can save your round.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Yesterdays round was all over the place, didn't hit many fairways on the front 9 and hit all the fairways on the back 9. Need to really tighten up my strategy on a few holes. Haven't been able to capitalize on my 3 wood off the tee , but striped it from the turf which may need to be the play until I can correct that. 2 penalties on par 3s dunking it in the water because of hitting it thin is a killer. Plus in 3 rounds I've made the same mistake and gone in the river on 18 right next to the green. Strategy needs to improve with making the smarter play hitting in to greens but 20mph cross winds don't help either. Today should be beautiful . Getting out in an hour or so to hit the range before the round. Another day, another round, Lets go Low boys!!

Titleist ProV1

Well the baby won again yesterday, hit my previous low again today with an 88 43/45. The front I left a few easy strokes out there, the back caught up to my with 2 penalties, the first on 13 the par 5, I hit a great tee shot right down the fairway, I had been striping my 3 wood all day, figured I would hit it to leave myself with 120 to the pin, I pick my head up and duff it right into the river weeds 20 yards in front of me. Costly error as a still made bogey on the hole. I hit some great flop shots, unfortunately the course still hasn't filled in since being aerated, I'm playing MTB-x balls and not one had enough spin to hold the green without rolling out at least 10 feet. Really hit the driver well, my irons came around nicely, I had a little range session prior to the round where I worked on my swing, I went to a bit stronger grip with my left hand with more pronation, it closely mimics my driver setup. It really paid off, I striped my irons well yesterday, I had some solid shots into the green, I few shots I missed but very close green side. Working on the irons and short game should have my scores improving in the near future, 12/18 fairways hit, and 5 GIR, although it felt closer 8 with the green side shots

Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Well the baby won again yesterday, hit my previous low again today with an 88 43/45. The front I left a few easy strokes out there, the back caught up to my with 2 penalties, the first on 13 the par 5, I hit a great tee shot right down the fairway, I had been striping my 3 wood all day, figured I would hit it to leave myself with 120 to the pin, I pick my head up and duff it right into the river weeds 20 yards in front of me. 

How long is this hole that Driver/3W leaves you 120 out?

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

3 hours ago, BMart519 said:

How long is this hole that Driver/3W leaves you 120 out?

I believe it is has been playing at 590. I’ve been going 250 off the tee. No roll because of how wet it has been. I usually use my range finder which has been showing about 340. Worst part is if you go farther than 270 you are in a match so you have to fly it less than 270 or more than 305. It’s a mammoth of a hole

Titleist ProV1

1 minute ago, RollingGreens said:

I believe it is has been playing at 590. I’ve been going 250 off the tee. No roll because of how wet it has been. I usually use my range finder which has been showing about 340. Worst part is if you go farther than 270 you are in a match so you have to fly it less than 270 or more than 305. It’s a mammoth of a hole

I should mention 590 is the one up tees. To play from the tips is 610😂😂

Titleist ProV1

You've got an uphill battle when the par 5s default to bogey holes as opposed to birdie opportunities or safe pars. Scratch players average 3 strokes to get down from 90 yards out in the fairway. You need to be well inside that on par 4s and 5s to have a chance at pars. So any par 4's over 400 and par 5s over 540 become bogey holes which leaves little rooms for error to shoot 79. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

• 2 weeks later...

So far the baby is winning, 89 Saturday, 100 today. Had a great chance yesterday but still challenged with my short game. Really need to focus on chipping and putting. I also think my course does me no favors, I enjoy walking and the front is very fair to walk, but the back 9 is a bear, its long and hilly and the tee boxed are a bit of a distance from the last hole location. Driver and irons are positives. Hitting more green in reg, need to lag putt from great than 20 feet better and increase my accuracy for 1 putting from inside 10 feet. Biggest area of chipping is distance control, too much roll out, I need more stopping power. 10 yards roughly of rollout is killer. It's good to know that certain areas are my strong points, working on my weakness should pay dividends soon

Titleist ProV1

Have had terrible rounds this year with snow limiting practice time, until today with a 78 from tips.  Read something that I will share on how to break 80.  Keys to focus are: Driver - put into play rather than focus on length;  Putter - remove 3 puts, practice 6 ft and less puts; Wedge - chip so you have up and down chances regularly. 

Good luck on the baby.            

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is an update on my progress, My irons are much better and my driver has been solid until my round today. Putting has been up and down, I am having hard time adjusting to green speed. When I putt I seem to fall into the habit of one speed and only one speed. Making changes to slow down my speed has been challenging. I played a Stableford format today at my local club with a partner. Only one ball was scored and with my handicap of 13 I should have had more points on the board , bogeys are 1, pars are 2 and so on. I had a paltry 6 points on the front. I had high hopes today, I don't know if it was nerves but I couldn't get going the whole day. It got better on the back 9 I hit more fairways and greens and a few putts. It feels like all the hardware I had coming in to today was lost. Not much consistency, I chalk it up to a bad day hopefully. Tomorrow we play 2 ball scored in the same format. I feel like I should be able to really play well using today almost as a practice round to get everything that could go wrong out of the way

Titleist ProV1