TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can I break 80 before the baby (6 months)

Update!! Best round of the year at 82. Looking back breaking 80 was really attainable today. Could have made a few more putts. One double and the rest of the card was pars and bogeys. Really pleased with my score. It was a day where I really didn’t even pay much attention. I didn’t press. I knows what my front 9 was and knew I had a chance but just kind of let everything play out. I didn’t do anything great today. I was decent off the tee and with my irons today. I hit some really good wedge shots and my short game was phenomenal. Just need to continue to get better with the putter 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

• 2 weeks later...

I can't comment or add much from the swing recommendations, etc.   It seems like from a skill perspective, you are trending in the right direction.  The only piece of advice I can add is going to sound corny, but you have to believe you can do it.  I can't tell you how many times I was approaching the last few holes with the opportunity to break 80.  The number of 82, 81 and 80's were significant.  After a while, you start to think that a sub 80 round is an insurmountable task.  

Then one mild late November/early December day in my former home town of Rochester, NY.  To be playing that time of the year up there was extraordinary, but a few course were open.  I was playing well and the friend I was playing with made the made the fatal mistake of saying that "all I needed to do is boggy the last two holes to break 80!"  Thanks Joe!  I proceeded to par the final to holes and shot 78.  I was elated that I finally achieved my goal and remember it seemed that this mental block was finally lifted.  Two days later it was warm enough to play again and shot 79.  Some 20 plus years later, I break 80 2-3 times a year because I still believe I can.  

The moral for me is that an important muscle we need to train to break certain barriers is the one between our ears.  So as you get close, first don't listen to your playing partners (that will only be the kiss of death).  Second, believe you can and eventually you will.  And once you prove it to yourself, the flood gate to sub 80 rounds will open for you.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

@Golf2Muchthsbksngor the advice it’s becoming more and more a realistic goal as I’m playing a fair bit of boring golf 2 putting for pars but i love where my game is going. I just got a new driver and think that is going to get me another club less into greens which should buy me a little more accuracy closer to the pin for a few one putts

Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys I came up a bit short today and shot 80, 39/41. Played in a 4th of July outing at my club. it was a 3 best ball out of 4. I went in with the mindset of playing for par, I had a goal of hitting every par 3 and I essentially did. I had 35 putts 5 x3 putts, 1x4 putt, and 6x1putts. I was hitting fairways and greens today fairly consistently, but didn't really get in much of a rhythm with any close pin shots. I came close to taking home 2 closest to the pin shots today but was bested on the last one. Landed a net skin on #17 which is a par 3, I birdied and took a net eagle. All in all it seems as though my game has turned for the best through summer

Titleist ProV1

I was also the total winner in player purse today! 

Titleist ProV1

@RollingGreens - How have I missed this thread! I'm in the same situation. Baby coming in 8-9 weeks and I have a goal of breaking 80. Recently shot 86, 80, 83. I'm cautiously optimistic. Switched to left hand low for putting and my confidence is back with my putter. 

We can do this!

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I have some good and bad lucky lately! The good is that 2 weeks ago I shot 82 from the gold tees at my club which are the blues at every other putting me 8 strokes over par! The bad. I have a wrist injury from a few weeks ago that won’t go away. At the time I did think I had a small fracture, it happened at the range and was completely my own fault. I wasn’t paying attention to the rope marking off the hitting area, of course I cubked a wedge badly catching the club on the ground and on the rope. Snapping my wrist violently. It’s been nagging me on and off but seems to get better. Big problem I have with it is swinging my driver. I’ve been quite hit or miss with it. Using it anything more than 6-8x a round kills me. I’ve tinkered a bit recently but am going to get the tip switched in the nippon shaft to go back to something that gave me a lot of good results. I don’t know if it’s the counterbalanced shaft with the rogue white but something is really throwing me off. 

Titleist ProV1

@RollingGreens - Keep grinding, you got this! 

I met my goal this morning as I enter the 3 week countdown to the due date; 79. There were many times where I thought it just wasn't going to happen but keep showing up and staying positive. 

How's the wrist?

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

On 8/14/2021 at 5:03 PM, TBS said:

@RollingGreens - Keep grinding, you got this! 

I met my goal this morning as I enter the 3 week countdown to the due date; 79. There were many times where I thought it just wasn't going to happen but keep showing up and staying positive. 

How's the wrist?

It is getting better. I have played a couple times but nothing serious. The weather here has been terrible. We have so much rain that every tee shot is basically plugging. I typically play one up from the tips and it’s awesome when everything is rolling out but for the next few rounds until things dry out I need to put my pride aside and move up a tee box. I’ve also been trying to get back in the groove with a new driver so I’ve had a few other objectives outside of scoring better. Game is still in a good place just wish I could have gotten to it when everything was clicking ! Glad to hear you met your goal!! 

Titleist ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the countdown is on 4 weeks likely left. I’ve come close and I know if I were to play an easier course it would happen but I’m hot budging yet. Breaking 80 with a slope of 140 here I come!

Titleist ProV1

37 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Looks like the countdown is on 4 weeks likely left. I’ve come close and I know if I were to play an easier course it would happen but I’m hot budging yet. Breaking 80 with a slope of 140 here I come!

You got this, though don't let this turn into your wife just wants this to end and you want the baby to come late to get that score in 😁

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Just saw the thread congrats on baby and keep the faith on breaking 80.  My golf buddy has been on the disabled list due to shoulder surgery for over a year and he resumes golf in late Oct. I started a quest to  improve my game and remake my swing 2 months ago before he gets back to golf.  I’m a 16 HDC and my ultimate goal is to lower HDC to a 10.  My ball flight has changed and I am a better ball striker still working on bringing it from the range to the course. Reading your journey notes is inspiring me to keep plugging away 

Just came across the thread.. good on you to have a solid goal. Skimmed through the various posts, didn't see anything about your scrambling or fairway stats, only putting and a couple of GIRs. You mentioned playing one up from the tips, generally 'blue'. Why not white? What club is your approach club, on average? Jack backed "Tee It Forward" a couple of years ago, terrific initiative. Too many golfers are hitting woods, hybrids or long irons into greens more often than not. Game is heck of a lot more fun with a wedge or 8 iron in to the green, and really, how it is meant to be played.
Cheers

On 9/2/2021 at 9:49 AM, Svo said:

Just came across the thread.. good on you to have a solid goal. Skimmed through the various posts, didn't see anything about your scrambling or fairway stats, only putting and a couple of GIRs. You mentioned playing one up from the tips, generally 'blue'. Why not white? What club is your approach club, on average? Jack backed "Tee It Forward" a couple of years ago, terrific initiative. Too many golfers are hitting woods, hybrids or long irons into greens more often than not. Game is heck of a lot more fun with a wedge or 8 iron in to the green, and really, how it is meant to be played.
Cheers

White plays a bit too short, in my instance I might only hit driver ~6 times, It really turns the course into fairway woods and wedges, whereas playing from the hybrid the white/gold combo and gold alone I can use driver 9-10x which is just the right amount. It's not the distance itself for why I haven't broke 80, until this weekend but the fact of the course being that hard. Even the hybrid slope rating is 136, and the slope from gold is 140. It's not an easy course by any means, Distance wise it's not a problem ~6700 from the golds is the max I can play and the course typically plays quite fast in the fairway, the hybrid are about ~6400 which is optimal, the white tees just plainly aren't that much fun to play on. The younger guys like myself actually dread playing them during member events because hitting driver on a lot of holes provides really no benefit. 

Titleist ProV1

Well I said I wanted to break 80 from the golds, but I broke 80 this weekend from the gold/white combo tees playing ~6400. I played a round Friday and showed up to the course not really wanting to play the gold or white tees so I played the combo,I wasn't even really thinking about it, I went in 4 over at the turn. Typically the back is harder for me walking because of fatigue. I played fantastic on the back hitting just about all the GIR, knocked down a wonderful shot on the par 11 and 17. It seemed that everything was going right, I even tested my luck on 18 going for the green in 2, but to much chagrin I feel about 50 yards short landing in the rough vs the fairway where I might have had a chance. The worst part is it never felt like a sub 80 round, Just a few bogeys and all pars, I dodged the big miss all day, kept the ball in play and did what I needed to do. I still want to break it from the gold, but the hybrid tees are a nice consolation!!

Titleist ProV1

22 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Well I said I wanted to break 80 from the golds, but I broke 80 this weekend from the gold/white combo tees playing ~6400. I played a round Friday and showed up to the course not really wanting to play the gold or white tees so I played the combo,I wasn't even really thinking about it, I went in 4 over at the turn. Typically the back is harder for me walking because of fatigue. I played fantastic on the back hitting just about all the GIR, knocked down a wonderful shot on the par 11 and 17. It seemed that everything was going right, I even tested my luck on 18 going for the green in 2, but to much chagrin I feel about 50 yards short landing in the rough vs the fairway where I might have had a chance. The worst part is it never felt like a sub 80 round, Just a few bogeys and all pars, I dodged the big miss all day, kept the ball in play and did what I needed to do. I still want to break it from the gold, but the hybrid tees are a nice consolation!!

Awesome! Congrats on the big achievement.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

Still a great accomplishment and the funny thing is those rounds kinds always feel this way, nothing spectacular just steady. As I am sure the better players on this site will note good golf is kinda boring golf. I have only played boring golf a few times, but it has been fun in its own way. Now hopefully those rounds keep coming.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

• 2 months later...

I haven’t picked up a golf club to swing in about 2.5 weeks. It’s been rough. Really getting the itch to play some simulator golf now that the weather isn’t allowing for any outdoor golf. Recently changed my work schedule that should allow for me to have at least 3-4 golf days per week. At least 2 days being devoted to the driving range with 1 day in the weekend being for a round with the weekend crew and possibly another day being for a league night/practice/ or a evening round with my wife. Having a child hasn’t been easy, but managing my time has made it doable towards the end of the year to still play golf. I would say I actually played a lot better at the end of the year because I wasn’t working through anything with my swing. A bad shot was just a bad shot. Finishing the year with my index just above 8 was a great surprise to me. The next thing I want to work on next year is getting below a 5 which will be a huge challenge. My putting and wedges will have to get a bit better but I think it’s a attainable goal

Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s the most content I have been with my golf game going into next year. Not really looking for any news clubs or even lessons. I seem to have developed the understanding for what I need to do to be successful off the tee with the inside vs over the top approach. My iron swing has been very reproducible.  I think the only thing I am torn about is putting in the effort to go for scratch this year or being content on where my game is. 
nothing wrong on having an index of 8. I can play with anyone of any skill level and it translates to courses of varied difficulties.

Titleist ProV1

• 4 months later...

The baby is here and he is roughly 8 months old at this point. Taking up a fair amount of weekend time but I do love it. Golf game has taken a small step back initially with my driver and irons. I question whether I am over swinging to make up for distance loss with wind and loss of roll out because of extremely wet conditions. My setup doesn’t feel right whatsoever so I think a lot of dry swings using the alignment sticks is in my future the next few days. 

on a positive note the weekly group of 3 just found their 4th players and he walks like the rest of us!

Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Changing my work schedule to 4 days a week has made it more challenging to get out as much as last year. I’m limited at this time to Thursday and the weekends. Babysitting for a day in Thursday leaves me with really just the weekends to play golf outside of light practice work at home. Hoping for longer days coming up to take advantage of the practice areas at the my club facility 

Titleist ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

Got back to the old ways yesterday. 41/39 for an 80 with 27 putts. Tracked everything during the round which made me focus on playing station to station golf. Hit the fairway, then green, and no more than 2 putts. Sim for the center or large portion of the green. I’ve been working in hitting low flighted wedge shots for my partial distances and it’s worked out well. I close down my stance and put my feet together which narrows my arc and power. Just need to polish up my bunker game, it’s been giving me trouble all year 

Titleist ProV1

• 3 months later...

So my game has been pretty up and down all summer. My irons, wedges, and putting have been pretty good for the most part but lately the last month or so my driver has been terrible. I used to be consistently around 250-270. Lately it has been 200-225, I have been battling a slice and even when I hit a good one there is a lot of spin in the high 3k rpm. So I decided to take a lesson with the head golf pro at my course. I never really thought much about my swing because I self taught myself a few years back and for the most part my swing has worked. But with my driver not responding and my game kind of stuck around an 8 index I decided it was worth a try. To give you some context, I have a very up and down swing with a very steep angle of attack, I really pull my arms in at impact closing my power zone. The fitter watched my swing a few times and he told me I don’t have too many options with where my swing is at. I can keep playing it, or work on some wholesale changes. So we started working on my stance to get my weight more on my toes and the ball aligned more in the center of the club vs closer to the hosel. After this we started working in shallowing out the club head. It’s a huge difference for my takeaway and backswing compared to where I was at. I had a few good shots and of course some very bad shots with my irons. Really only felt like I could hit my mid irons, long and short  plus wedges were both very bad right now.  Last thing we tried was the driver, I would say I don’t have a consistent swing because I’ve been tinkering so much over the last month. The driver was the best it’s felt this year and I was hitting massive drives. I have never been able to tee the ball up really higher than a 1.25 to 1.5in height until yesterday. It seemed to really stop the spin down when I hit a solid drive. Really nervous about the wholesale changes. I know it will take work but it was really frustrating to see the minimal progress. I just feel like with my hands that much lower around my shoulders I am going to thin or blade the ball vs high hands, but I made need to tinker a bit to find the right position. Hope to post some videos this weekend. I never thought my swing would need as much rebuilding as I am going to do. But I feel like it’s a necessary step going forward to push my game 

Titleist ProV1

9 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

So my game has been pretty up and down all summer. My irons, wedges, and putting have been pretty good for the most part but lately the last month or so my driver has been terrible. I used to be consistently around 250-270. Lately it has been 200-225, I have been battling a slice and even when I hit a good one there is a lot of spin in the high 3k rpm. So I decided to take a lesson with the head golf pro at my course. I never really thought much about my swing because I self taught myself a few years back and for the most part my swing has worked. But with my driver not responding and my game kind of stuck around an 8 index I decided it was worth a try. To give you some context, I have a very up and down swing with a very steep angle of attack, I really pull my arms in at impact closing my power zone. The fitter watched my swing a few times and he told me I don’t have too many options with where my swing is at. I can keep playing it, or work on some wholesale changes. So we started working on my stance to get my weight more on my toes and the ball aligned more in the center of the club vs closer to the hosel. After this we started working in shallowing out the club head. It’s a huge difference for my takeaway and backswing compared to where I was at. I had a few good shots and of course some very bad shots with my irons. Really only felt like I could hit my mid irons, long and short  plus wedges were both very bad right now.  Last thing we tried was the driver, I would say I don’t have a consistent swing because I’ve been tinkering so much over the last month. The driver was the best it’s felt this year and I was hitting massive drives. I have never been able to tee the ball up really higher than a 1.25 to 1.5in height until yesterday. It seemed to really stop the spin down when I hit a solid drive. Really nervous about the wholesale changes. I know it will take work but it was really frustrating to see the minimal progress. I just feel like with my hands that much lower around my shoulders I am going to thin or blade the ball vs high hands, but I made need to tinker a bit to find the right position. Hope to post some videos this weekend. I never thought my swing would need as much rebuilding as I am going to do. But I feel like it’s a necessary step going forward to push my game 

i would have shopped around for a coach that had a little more respect for what you accomplished and had more of a ‘tweaker’ mentality rather than the ‘my way or the highway’ style i perceive from your comments. especially with the baby and lack of time to play and practice. best of luck though. 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

21 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

i would have shopped around for a coach that had a little more respect for what you accomplished and had more of a ‘tweaker’ mentality rather than the ‘my way or the highway’ style i perceive from your comments. especially with the baby and lack of time to play and practice. best of luck though. 

I was taken back a bit. It’s not where I am terrible. I’ve broken 80 before and generally shot in the low to mid 80s. I will say the early returns paid off today. The driver was as good as it has been this year and that was in a 20mph headwind. The irons and wedges were good at times but the new swing also showed its signs of infancy. 

I am willing to give him a few more times but I have my options open. I wouldn’t say that he is wrong with what he suggested, I just think there is a better way to go about it. 

Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

I was taken back a bit. It’s not where I am terrible. I’ve broken 80 before and generally shot in the low to mid 80s. I will say the early returns paid off today. The driver was as good as it has been this year and that was in a 20mph headwind. The irons and wedges were good at times but the new swing also showed its signs of infancy. 

I am willing to give him a few more times but I have my options open. I wouldn’t say that he is wrong with what he suggested, I just think there is a better way to go about it. 

i obviously can’t say whether he’s right or wrong. but when I consider you just had a child, if you’re doing the dad thing the right way it takes up a lot of your previously free time and mental energy. new dad/new mom brain drain is a thing. you just spend so much of yourself concentrating on your new life patterns, responsibilities, and new types of problems to solve, you just exhaust yourself mentally. possibly it’s exactly what you need long term, but it may be frustrating short term. on the other hand, at least your out there working on it, and you won’t have to teach yourself how to golf again after taking a year off, as i’ve had friends do. so, take care of your kid, take care of yourself/your wife, and don’t have anything to regret. 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

We also have a baby on the way! My personal best round is 82 from about 6400 yards. Have just a couple months left so not sure I'll break 80 before then, but this was inspiring!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5
5w: TaylorMade SIM Max - 18
3H: Ping G425 - at 20.5
Irons: Ping G425 (5i-GW)
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (52, 56, 60)
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined S
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Tracking: Arccos

One of the best pieces of advice I got was from a book (audio version) that I used to listen to riding to tournaments and when I travelled. It was called, "How to Break 80".

The one take away from that book that I loved, was the suggestion to break your game into 3 holes at a time. One of the things I notice my buddies do is get stressed over a bogey, or a double bogey and they start counting their score before they are even finished. Break it into 3 holes at time. The goal is to shoot 13 or less every 3 holes. If your course, like mine, starts with a par 4, then a par 3 and then a par 5 (or similar combo), then par is 12. That means that if you get a bogey on the first hole - no worries, just concentrate on par on the next hole and then again on the 3rd.

Easier said than done, but by breaking it into 6 mini games of 3 holes each, you find you don't stress as much worrying about the final result - stay present!

After listening to that book, and applying some of the lessons I was finally able to break 80.