TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 Most Wanted-Players Distance Irons

Golfspy_CG2

One of the more popular iron categories of recent years.  One company did very well in this, not surprisingly! 

https://mygolfspy.com/2021-most-wanted-players-distance-iron/

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Interesting the p770 were included in this category. 

Not surprised to see Mizuno at the top

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Was Sub 70 in the test?  

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

11 minutes ago, EEZurg said:

Was Sub 70 in the test?  

Apparently not.  That means either they didn't submit them for testing or they submitted something in another category.  Total 100% guess on my part is maybe the 690 Pros show up in the Players Category?  

Interesting group of irons selected for this test. It appears MGS truly threw in more "players" irons than SGI irons like the P790s. I'm not surprised the HMBs won as they are nice to look at and are truly a more compact clubhead. I would say to anyone on the fence about the HMBs is that they really are a "players" club and aren't going to offer a tremendous amount of forgiveness. Another thing to note is that the difference in strokes gained across this group of clubs seems minimal. Strokes gained is within 0.09 from top to bottom in each iron category. I don't see that as significant and it seems that would be within the margin of error for a good fitting. I'm not against the use of the strokes gained method but it would be nice for MGS to do some research to provide some perspective on what the strokes gained numbers actually mean. Is the difference between a 0.02 and -0.04 strokes gained actually meaningful in any real world scenario? What is the difference in strokes gained for those with a professional fitting vs. those that aren't fitted?

Those questions will take time to research and answer but I think it would be very helpful. I also think that if it turns out the very small differences in strokes gained aren't meaningful in the real world, you will get more of a ranking system like Golf Digest where you have clubs that land in different tiers instead of their being an overall winner.  

It's a shame.  They are great irons.....

"For the player yearning for the best in current technology, classic looks, and workability, the search is over. The 699 Pro is the answer."

I took this to mean players distance irons.....I think they would have given the rest a real run for the money.

Edited by EEZurg
sentence correction

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

Surprised no zx5 although I am presuming those or in the players, where the zx7 technically should be and the zx4 in the GI

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Interesting results.  The HMB are good looking irons.  I came awful close to picking HM's at my first fitting in 2019.  Curious how many MGS Hit Squad Testers we have and where they are from?  It may just be me but Mizzie's seem to get an inordinate amount of love on the east coast 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Wow!!  I have been lusting after the MP20 HMB irons.  They performed well for me in my fitting 18 months ago, but I really didn't "need" irons then.  I still don't!!  However, I came across a deal that was too good to pass up.

I bought a set 2 days ago with graphite shafts; should be here next week.  I guess @fixyurdivot and I will be spending time in Bend Oregon at the 2021 MGS PNW Meet-Up getting used to new irons!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Surprised no zx5 although I am presuming those or in the players, where the zx7 technically should be and the zx4 in the GI

I've seen the ZX5's described as everything from players to PD to GI.  So I think we need a new PDI category 😄.

Interesting the p770 were included in this category. 

That’s was my comment but that is where the powers that be put them. The lines between categories is grey. There are clubs in the GI that would probably fit better in a players category

Was Sub 70 in the test?  

Apparently not.  That means either they didn't submit them for testing or they submitted something in another category.  Total 100% guess on my part is maybe the 690 Pros show up in the Players Category?  

Haven’t tested any sub70 clubs as part of most wanted. Probably not submitted in these categories.

ZX5 are in the GI test.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Another thing to note is that the difference in strokes gained across this group of clubs seems minimal. Strokes gained is within 0.09 from top to bottom in each iron category. I don't see that as significant and it seems that would be within the margin of error for a good fitting. I'm not against the use of the strokes gained method but it would be nice for MGS to do some research to provide some perspective on what the strokes gained numbers actually mean. Is the difference between a 0.02 and -0.04 strokes gained actually meaningful in any real world scenario? What is the difference in strokes gained for those with a professional fitting vs. those that aren't fitted?

While most agree that fitting is important, this test is designed for the person that doesn’t get fit or does a minimal fitting. The winner is the club that is supposed to work best for the majority of golfers. As you know, just because a golf club works for one person doesn’t mean it is the best option for another even with a fitting.

I would agree that all of these clubs are pretty close, but when you look more deeply into the actual numbers for an individual player the separation becomes a bit larger.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Interesting that last year, the Mizuono HMBs and the Taylormade P770s were in the Players category, not the Players Distance category.  Do the manufacturers decide in which category they want to be considered?  On another note, I had a set of HMBs, but I am simply not a good enough ball striker for them.  They look great, though.  And when hit well they feel and sound really good.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

56 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

Interesting group of irons selected for this test. It appears MGS truly threw in more "players" irons than SGI irons like the P790s. I'm not surprised the HMBs won as they are nice to look at and are truly a more compact clubhead. I would say to anyone on the fence about the HMBs is that they really are a "players" club and aren't going to offer a tremendous amount of forgiveness. Another thing to note is that the difference in strokes gained across this group of clubs seems minimal. Strokes gained is within 0.09 from top to bottom in each iron category. I don't see that as significant and it seems that would be within the margin of error for a good fitting. I'm not against the use of the strokes gained method but it would be nice for MGS to do some research to provide some perspective on what the strokes gained numbers actually mean. Is the difference between a 0.02 and -0.04 strokes gained actually meaningful in any real world scenario? What is the difference in strokes gained for those with a professional fitting vs. those that aren't fitted?

Those questions will take time to research and answer but I think it would be very helpful. I also think that if it turns out the very small differences in strokes gained aren't meaningful in the real world, you will get more of a ranking system like Golf Digest where you have clubs that land in different tiers instead of their being an overall winner.  

The OEM's submit the clubs and they designate what category they are submitting them for.  MGS doesn't randomly decide which category they go in.

Tony has explained in detail several times why they use the strokes gained and what it means to the testing.  If you read the comments, it usually comes up in almost every test and he usually reiterates in on most of if not all the SM posts.

GolfDigest, you mean the  farce that gives awards based on advertising spend...LOL

15 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Interesting that last year, the Mizuono HMBs and the Taylormade P770s were in the Players category, not the Players Distance category.  Do the manufacturers decide in which category they want to be considered?  On another note, I had a set of HMBs, but I am simply not a good enough ball striker for them.  They look great, though.  And when hit well they feel and sound really good.

Yes to the OEM's deciding. See my post above

30 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That’s was my comment but that is where the powers that be put them. The lines between categories is grey. There are clubs in the GI that would probably fit better in a players category

Yeah and from what I’ve seen around the interwebz some find the 770 hard to hit which usually means off center is over penalizing. Others love them. They are an interesting club to me and I’m planning to test them soon just to see how the compare to the previous model but also how they compare to the p790.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah and from what I’ve seen around the interwebz some find the 770 hard to hit which usually means off center is over penalizing. Others love them. They are an interesting club to me and I’m planning to test them soon just to see how the compare to the previous model but also how they compare to the p790.

I tried both the P770 and P790 this past winter.  I really liked the look of both . The 770 were a real challenge to get consistent strikes and, while the 790 were much better, they quickly got passed up for other contenders. 

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I tried both the P770 and P790 this past winter.  I really liked the look of both . The 770 were a real challenge to get consistent strikes and, while the 790 were much better, they quickly got passed up for other contenders. 

When I had my fitting at True Spec in Bend (Pronghorn GC) in Oct 2019, I tried several irons in this category as well as a few others.  Nothing felt as good as my Bridgestones... except the MP20 HMBs.  I really didn't like the other Mizuno offerings!!  

For the fitting I was hitting off a mat through a rollup door to outside targets on the range.  I have no idea how well I will hit the HMBs off turf; just taking a big chance.  I know the first thing I have to do when I get them is adjust the lie angle.  My swing has change somewhat since we last played together, but I think I will still need a flatter lie, maybe not as much.  There may be a learning curve with them, but I remember a learning curve when I got my Bridgestones and their wide sole.  

I love the looks... they sure are purdy!!  🤗

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Doesn't convince me to give up the D7's.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Was a good read and no real surprises. I really do love the cobra irons and was happy to see they are doing well. At some point I would love to give them a hit and see how they match up against my i210's.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

14 minutes ago, MattF said:

Doesn't convince me to give up the D7's.

They were right there with the Mizuno's.  I am still so surprised, and a bit deflated, that they did not work for me at my fittings.  I went in thinking they would be on my short list.  The whole iron fitting experience was an eye opener for me.

It's a shame.  They are great irons.....
"For the player yearning for the best in current technology, classic looks, and workability, the search is over. The 699 Pro is the answer."
I took this to mean players distance irons.....I think they would have given the rest a real run for the money.

They were in the test two years ago, I don’t think they resubmit them until they have a new model. I bet we see some of their players irons though

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

My son who is in college playing golf was using P790s (now my gamers), he then switched to MP20 combo set and then at Christmas time switched to the 921s. He is in love with the 921s and having great success with them. I like the P790 but oh my word the new Black version looks so sweet I might need to get a new set of clubs!

:honma: Driver, 3W & 5H

:taylormade-small: P790 4-PW S-Taper S

:benhogan-small: 50, 54, 58

:odyssey-small: 7S

Let’s face it there are many great clubs out there.  Everyone has a favorite and then there is what suits your game the best. The top 5 is a great way to start.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

I tried the MP20 HMB in a 4 iron and just could not get a long with it.  Like the 4 iron in my MP 18 SC set better, but sold it thinking the MP 20 would replace.  Now have the Srixon ZX Utility and find it much more forgiving with better launch conditions.  Not quite as workable, but that is fine with me.  Mizuno makes great products, just that one didn't quite jive with me for one reason or another.

Looking forward to reading more of the iron categories as testing ensues and completes.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I was surprised there wasn’t a Sub70 iron in this test considering they kind of hung their hat on this test last year.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

7 hours ago, sglj3 said:

My son who is in college playing golf was using P790s (now my gamers), he then switched to MP20 combo set and then at Christmas time switched to the 921s. He is in love with the 921s and having great success with them. I like the P790 but oh my word the new Black version looks so sweet I might need to get a new set of clubs!

The black P790s do look pretty slick. I will have to try them out and see if I need to replace my Titleist AP2s

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

I am a new golfer (season 2) and got fitted for the Honma TR21X earlier this year. I am surprised they didn't finish higher! I loved the sound and feel of the Honmas and despite them being a little "chunky" just looking at them, behind the ball it looks really sleek. Plus it looks like a larger version of the TM P7MB which I think look amazing! However, I can't deny that the Mizunos rightfully won. I got to try the JPX 921s and loved them but the forgiveness wasn't enough for me but I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants to try them. Thank you again to MGS for an another awesome read about shiny metal!

Driver: Callaway Strata (Beginners Box Set) 12*

Woods: Callaway Strata (Beginners Box Set) 3W

Hybrid: Callaway SuperHybrid 17* (Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD HY 85S), Callaway Strata (Beginners Box set) 4H 

Irons: 5-PW Honma TR21X, Shaft: Nippon Modus 130S

Wedges: Cleveland CBX-2 Black Satin 50, 54 (bent 55), 60. Shaft: Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Callaway White Hot OG 7 Stroke Lab

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Ball: VICE Pro Neon, VICE Tour White

Bag: PING Hoofer Scarlet/Black

Found a TM P790 on the 17th tee box at Arrowood GC in Oceanside, CA. I was tempted to put it in the bag, but, turned it in to the pro shop. Very nice iron. 

Irons: Callaway Rogue 5-PW, AW Men's Right Hand, Standard, Shaft: True Temper XP 95 Steel Regular Flex

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815, Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 565, Regular Flex 

Dexterity: right-handed

Live in Fresno, Ca 93270

Current handicap 33.5 and slowly going down... 

Ball: Titleist Velocity Orange & TaylorMade Distance 

Putters: Odyssey O-Works Red #7S Putter; Odyssey Whitehot XG #9; Nike BC 101 Heel-Toe Putter