TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 Most Wanted-Players Distance Irons

Golfspy_CG2

Funny, the importance of fitting, was ready to buy the p770’s or mp20 based on reviews.  Club Champion fitted me, both those irons were a miss for me, p770 had a big dispersion, the mp20’s had the worst carry distance and too high a spin rate.  Tried the Cobra, T100, ZX7, jpx forged and tour, Pxg 0311t and ping.  First club the fitter choose for me the ZX7 was still the best dispersion and second longest with great spin numbers. I had no thought of even trying Srixon and was looking for a distance style players iron, which some how the ZX7 is just a players iron but went second furtherest after the p770.  The p770 was averaging 1.4 yards more distance but was flying very high no matter which shaft I used and had a lower spin rate, 4,800-5,000 with a higher dispersion.  The Mizuno’s all were the shortest irons I hit with a very high spin rate, 6 iron with 7,200-7,700 spin rate.  While the ZX7 was 9-12 yards further then the Mixuno irons with a more normal 6,000-6,200 spin rate with my 6 iron.   I guess the importance of fitting every well rated club doesn’t fit everyone the same.

15 hours ago, Kasey said:

The black P790s do look pretty slick. I will have to try them out and see if I need to replace my Titleist AP2s

Beautiful looking iron, but you better not sleep on them.  I found out yesterday they area limited release and my rep has already sold his small allotment.   I think they can still be ordered on the TM site, but even then I got an email from TM saying the inventory was getting low. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thank you for letting me know.  I will reach out to the TM rep to find out if I can get them up here in Canada!

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

On 4/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, aramirez said:

I am a new golfer (season 2) and got fitted for the Honma TR21X earlier this year. I am surprised they didn't finish higher! I loved the sound and feel of the Honmas and despite them being a little "chunky" just looking at them, behind the ball it looks really sleek. Plus it looks like a larger version of the TM P7MB which I think look amazing! However, I can't deny that the Mizunos rightfully won. I got to try the JPX 921s and loved them but the forgiveness wasn't enough for me but I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants to try them. Thank you again to MGS for an another awesome read about shiny metal!

I wouldn't worry about where iron's rank too much as the strokes gained between the clubs in this test was minimal. Most clubs produced today can perform well if the fit is right. 

I just tried the MP20 HMB and the MP20 MMC, as I really had my eyes set on the MMC but having HMB in 5,6,maybe even 7 might be quite nice. 

I hit like total garbage.  I couldn't hit my JPX 825 pros either.  There's just something about a fitting bay that turns me into the worst golfer ever. 

So, they're golf clubs.  🤣  I will say the fitting 7i version of the MMC looked weird.  The top-line of a blade, but it appeared to have significant offset and looked super weird at address.   

I'd love to try the P7's and some Srixons too.  After that sim experience, I'm now open to anything.  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so something doesn't smell right here. D7 forged is last year winner. Clearly beats the Cobra Forged Tec.

This year the same 2 irons are in the same year and Covers wins over it.

Guess what it means is that the data is not that useful as we are lead to believe. 

I think rather than winners and losers I think the real value in this test is looking at launch spin and relative distances as this way someone can decide on what to consider based on what fits their needs.

2 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

Ok so something doesn't smell right here. D7 forged is last year winner. Clearly beats the Cobra Forged Tec.

This year the same 2 irons are in the same year and Covers wins over it.

Guess what it means is that the data is not that useful as we are lead to believe. 

I think rather than winners and losers I think the real value in this test is looking at launch spin and relative distances as this way someone can decide on what to consider based on what fits their needs.

the Most Wanted is simply another reference for those looking at purchasing equipment. You still need to test for yourself as your swing is not the same as everyone else’s. 

As far as Wilson vs Cobra, you are talking 2 different years and more than likely different testers as well.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

10 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

the Most Wanted is simply another reference for those looking at purchasing equipment. You still need to test for yourself as your swing is not the same as everyone else’s. 

As far as Wilson vs Cobra, you are talking 2 different years and more than likely different testers as well.

Yes 2 different years but same club.

As I said that is why I think launch and skin data is more important than the winner. As it shows relative distances

2 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

Yes 2 different years but same club.

As I said that is why I think launch and skin data is more important than the winner. As it shows relative distances

As mentioned by @blackngold_bloodthere was a different set of testers so that’s going to impact the data set from the two years

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

As @BlackNGold mentioned there was a different set of testers so that’s going to impact the data set from the two years

I understand that which brings me to my point that the winner is arbitrary and friends more on the person using the club than the club.

31 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

I understand that which brings me to my point that the winner is arbitrary and friends more on the person using the club than the club.

The winner isn’t necessarily arbitrary. It’s based on the data from the current group of testers. If slower and/or less consistent ball strikers are part of one years testing and then the next year is faster and more consistent ball strikers the results are produce a different outcome so you can’t compare two clubs tested in year 1 with the same clubs in year two. This is why mgs is a proponent of getting fit to find what works best for the individual. The most wanted is more of a guide and not gospel. 

Just like the various tests done for clubs based on swing speed. Sometimes a slow swinger may find that a driver for mid or high swing speed is a better fit than the slower swing driver.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

The winner isn’t necessarily arbitrary. It’s based on the data from the current group of testers. If slower and/or less consistent ball strikers are part of one years testing and then the next year is faster and more consistent ball strikers the results are produce a different outcome so you can’t compare two clubs tested in year 1 with the same clubs in year two. This is why mgs is a proponent of getting fit to find what works best for the individual. The most wanted is more of a guide and not gospel. 

Just like the various tests done for clubs based on swing speed. Sometimes a slow swinger may find that a driver for mid or high swing speed is a better fit than the slower swing driver.

I hear what you say but disagree. The title of the article is most wanted. Not best performing for a select group of testers for which the results will differ if we repeat the test with another group of golfers.

If some one does a acceptance experiment and gets data. Then retreats the experiment with slightly different conditions and the results change then the data is can  not be extrapolated to a larger group.

Maybe it would be better if the test had sub group results based on swing speed and handicap.

42 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

The intent of the test is to determine which off the rack club works best for the largest percentage of players.   Each year with different testers and possibly different club configurations the results will vary.   As one of the testers,  I can assure you that every club in the testing could work for a large percentage of golfers.  There are lots of factors and the winner is chosen based on the data that is collected across multiple testers.   Everyone is unique and could get different results if they were to test the clubs themselves.  The winner is not a random or personal choice.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The winners are based on data, however if someone wants to know what is best for him, the only way is to try the clubs.  I think MGS does a better job of testing than any other website or magazine I can think of.  The only way to get purely objective numbers would be to use robotic testing and even that wouldn't translate well to the individual golfer's experience.  I always take these tests as a starting point when shopping for new equipment, not the end point.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I was considering the HMB’s when I saw some pristine Ping i500 6-P for less than current trade-in value with 2 hours to go. I placed my max bid and won. They arrive tomorrow but the good news for me was that with the money I saved I could load the top of the bag with useful clubs. Went and got fitted on Monday for G425Max 3, 5, 7, 9 woods, but held off on the 3 wood. Might have to go 5 hybrid in the real world. 

I’ve played Mizuno’s mostly for the past 15 years but played Eye 2 since the dawn of time. I never jelled with the JPX919 Hot Metal Pros. 

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, Pkc said:

Funny, the importance of fitting, was ready to buy the p770’s or mp20 based on reviews.  Club Champion fitted me, both those irons were a miss for me, p770 had a big dispersion, the mp20’s had the worst carry distance and too high a spin rate.  Tried the Cobra, T100, ZX7, jpx forged and tour, Pxg 0311t and ping.  First club the fitter choose for me the ZX7 was still the best dispersion and second longest with great spin numbers. I had no thought of even trying Srixon and was looking for a distance style players iron, which some how the ZX7 is just a players iron but went second furtherest after the p770.  The p770 was averaging 1.4 yards more distance but was flying very high no matter which shaft I used and had a lower spin rate, 4,800-5,000 with a higher dispersion.  The Mizuno’s all were the shortest irons I hit with a very high spin rate, 6 iron with 7,200-7,700 spin rate.  While the ZX7 was 9-12 yards further then the Mixuno irons with a more normal 6,000-6,200 spin rate with my 6 iron.   I guess the importance of fitting every well rated club doesn’t fit everyone the same.

I had the exact same experience. Crazy! Absolutely loved the zx7’s

On 5/15/2021 at 9:51 PM, Canabuc said:

I hear what you say but disagree. The title of the article is most wanted. Not best performing for a select group of testers for which the results will differ if we repeat the test with another group of golfers.

If some one does a acceptance experiment and gets data. Then retreats the experiment with slightly different conditions and the results change then the data is can  not be extrapolated to a larger group.

Maybe it would be better if the test had sub group results based on swing speed and handicap.

I get what you mean.  Article name is more about something eye popping and bringing in readership.  You will see posted all over MGS that it's more about fitting for individual and these are just the guide based on data they represent. 

I prefer that it's real golfers with varying swing speeds and handicaps participating in the test rather than a robot.  

You bring up a good point that there could be a subset, not just of swing speed, but handicap.  Most likely the lower handicaps should have better ball striking opposed to the others and you could get an idea of what could work best.

I wonder about my own swing and fittings. They say your swing is fairly consistent, but I've had a few where it really feels off and the ball flight is not what I'm used to seeing with my equipment or the demo clubs.  I'm not going to commit to buy something when that happens.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"