2021 Most Wanted-Players Distance Irons

Golfspy_CG2

Was a good read and no real surprises. I really do love the cobra irons and was happy to see they are doing well. At some point I would love to give them a hit and see how they match up against my i210's.

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

14 minutes ago, MattF said:

Doesn't convince me to give up the D7's.

They were right there with the Mizuno's.  I am still so surprised, and a bit deflated, that they did not work for me at my fittings.  I went in thinking they would be on my short list.  The whole iron fitting experience was an eye opener for me.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

It's a shame.  They are great irons.....
"For the player yearning for the best in current technology, classic looks, and workability, the search is over. The 699 Pro is the answer."
I took this to mean players distance irons.....I think they would have given the rest a real run for the money.

They were in the test two years ago, I don’t think they resubmit them until they have a new model. I bet we see some of their players irons though

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small:  Speedzone White 10.5*

:callaway-small:Mavrik 4W - 16.5*

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid 😍

:Sub70: 699U Pro 3 iron 

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 5-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 48* 54* 58*

Putter:

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Black on Black on Black

or

:Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade Putter

or

Tommy Armour No. 3 Impact Arm Lock 38"

Ball: :titelist-small: . Pro V1 

Currently testing: Sub 70 848 Pro Driver 

My son who is in college playing golf was using P790s (now my gamers), he then switched to MP20 combo set and then at Christmas time switched to the 921s. He is in love with the 921s and having great success with them. I like the P790 but oh my word the new Black version looks so sweet I might need to get a new set of clubs!

• Like 3

Mizuno ST190 Driver

Mizuno ST190 3 Wood

Nike 4 Hybrid

TaylorMade P790 4-PW

Ben Hogan 50*, 54*, 60* 

TaylorMade Soto Blade putter

Let’s face it there are many great clubs out there.  Everyone has a favorite and then there is what suits your game the best. The top 5 is a great way to start.

• Like 1

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

I tried the MP20 HMB in a 4 iron and just could not get a long with it.  Like the 4 iron in my MP 18 SC set better, but sold it thinking the MP 20 would replace.  Now have the Srixon ZX Utility and find it much more forgiving with better launch conditions.  Not quite as workable, but that is fine with me.  Mizuno makes great products, just that one didn't quite jive with me for one reason or another.

Looking forward to reading more of the iron categories as testing ensues and completes.

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I was surprised there wasn’t a Sub70 iron in this test considering they kind of hung their hat on this test last year.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

7 hours ago, sglj3 said:

My son who is in college playing golf was using P790s (now my gamers), he then switched to MP20 combo set and then at Christmas time switched to the 921s. He is in love with the 921s and having great success with them. I like the P790 but oh my word the new Black version looks so sweet I might need to get a new set of clubs!

The black P790s do look pretty slick. I will have to try them out and see if I need to replace my Titleist AP2s

:titelist-small:  TSi 3   9.0  AV Raw White 65 Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi3  15.0 AV Raw White 75 Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3 21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff 

:titelist-small:  4 iron 716 AP2 - DG 300 AMT Reg

Haywood  5-PW iron Signature - DG S300 Stiff

:taylormade-small:  52 - 09 Tour Preferred EF  - KBS Tour Wedge 

Haywood   56 - 12 KBS Tour Wedge

:taylormade-small:  60 - 10 Tour Preferred - KBS Tour Wedge 

:titelist-small:  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2

:srixon-small: Z-Star 

image.png.1cf0013c54bf0f68066ba2034c7799d0.png 

:Arccos: Official MGS Tester 2021

I am a new golfer (season 2) and got fitted for the Honma TR21X earlier this year. I am surprised they didn't finish higher! I loved the sound and feel of the Honmas and despite them being a little "chunky" just looking at them, behind the ball it looks really sleek. Plus it looks like a larger version of the TM P7MB which I think look amazing! However, I can't deny that the Mizunos rightfully won. I got to try the JPX 921s and loved them but the forgiveness wasn't enough for me but I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants to try them. Thank you again to MGS for an another awesome read about shiny metal!

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Strata (Beginners Box Set) 12*

Woods: Callaway Strata (Beginners Box Set) 3W

Hybrid: Callaway SuperHybrid 17* (Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD HY 85S), Callaway Strata (Beginners Box set) 4H 

Irons: 5-PW Honma TR21X, Shaft: Nippon Modus 130S

Wedges: Cleveland CBX-2 Black Satin 50, 54 (bent 55), 60. Shaft: Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Callaway White Hot OG 7 Stroke Lab

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Ball: VICE Pro Neon, VICE Tour White

Bag: PING Hoofer Scarlet/Black

Found a TM P790 on the 17th tee box at Arrowood GC in Oceanside, CA. I was tempted to put it in the bag, but, turned it in to the pro shop. Very nice iron. 

Irons: Callaway Rogue 5-PW, AW Men's Right Hand, Standard, Shaft: True Temper XP 95 Steel Regular Flex

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815, Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 565, Regular Flex 

Dexterity: right-handed

Live in Fresno, Ca 93270

Current handicap 33.5 and slowly going down... 

Ball: Titleist Velocity Orange & TaylorMade Distance 

Putters: Odyssey O-Works Red #7S Putter; Odyssey Whitehot XG #9; Nike BC 101 Heel-Toe Putter

Funny, the importance of fitting, was ready to buy the p770’s or mp20 based on reviews.  Club Champion fitted me, both those irons were a miss for me, p770 had a big dispersion, the mp20’s had the worst carry distance and too high a spin rate.  Tried the Cobra, T100, ZX7, jpx forged and tour, Pxg 0311t and ping.  First club the fitter choose for me the ZX7 was still the best dispersion and second longest with great spin numbers. I had no thought of even trying Srixon and was looking for a distance style players iron, which some how the ZX7 is just a players iron but went second furtherest after the p770.  The p770 was averaging 1.4 yards more distance but was flying very high no matter which shaft I used and had a lower spin rate, 4,800-5,000 with a higher dispersion.  The Mizuno’s all were the shortest irons I hit with a very high spin rate, 6 iron with 7,200-7,700 spin rate.  While the ZX7 was 9-12 yards further then the Mixuno irons with a more normal 6,000-6,200 spin rate with my 6 iron.   I guess the importance of fitting every well rated club doesn’t fit everyone the same.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kasey said:

The black P790s do look pretty slick. I will have to try them out and see if I need to replace my Titleist AP2s

Beautiful looking iron, but you better not sleep on them.  I found out yesterday they area limited release and my rep has already sold his small allotment.   I think they can still be ordered on the TM site, but even then I got an email from TM saying the inventory was getting low. 

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Thank you for letting me know.  I will reach out to the TM rep to find out if I can get them up here in Canada!

:titelist-small:  TSi 3   9.0  AV Raw White 65 Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi3  15.0 AV Raw White 75 Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3 21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff 

:titelist-small:  4 iron 716 AP2 - DG 300 AMT Reg

Haywood  5-PW iron Signature - DG S300 Stiff

:taylormade-small:  52 - 09 Tour Preferred EF  - KBS Tour Wedge 

Haywood   56 - 12 KBS Tour Wedge

:taylormade-small:  60 - 10 Tour Preferred - KBS Tour Wedge 

:titelist-small:  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2

:srixon-small: Z-Star 

image.png.1cf0013c54bf0f68066ba2034c7799d0.png 

:Arccos: Official MGS Tester 2021

On 4/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, aramirez said:

I am a new golfer (season 2) and got fitted for the Honma TR21X earlier this year. I am surprised they didn't finish higher! I loved the sound and feel of the Honmas and despite them being a little "chunky" just looking at them, behind the ball it looks really sleek. Plus it looks like a larger version of the TM P7MB which I think look amazing! However, I can't deny that the Mizunos rightfully won. I got to try the JPX 921s and loved them but the forgiveness wasn't enough for me but I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants to try them. Thank you again to MGS for an another awesome read about shiny metal!

I wouldn't worry about where iron's rank too much as the strokes gained between the clubs in this test was minimal. Most clubs produced today can perform well if the fit is right. 

• Like 4

I just tried the MP20 HMB and the MP20 MMC, as I really had my eyes set on the MMC but having HMB in 5,6,maybe even 7 might be quite nice. 

I hit like total garbage.  I couldn't hit my JPX 825 pros either.  There's just something about a fitting bay that turns me into the worst golfer ever. 

So, they're golf clubs.  🤣  I will say the fitting 7i version of the MMC looked weird.  The top-line of a blade, but it appeared to have significant offset and looked super weird at address.   

I'd love to try the P7's and some Srixons too.  After that sim experience, I'm now open to anything.  

:ping-small:        G400 Max, PX Evenflow Blue 6.0s, until the adapter comes loose again in 5 swings. 😥

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg PXV R. Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:wilson_staff_small: C300 cast irons 5-PW. Fujikura graphite R 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so something doesn't smell right here. D7 forged is last year winner. Clearly beats the Cobra Forged Tec.

This year the same 2 irons are in the same year and Covers wins over it.

Guess what it means is that the data is not that useful as we are lead to believe. 

I think rather than winners and losers I think the real value in this test is looking at launch spin and relative distances as this way someone can decide on what to consider based on what fits their needs.

2 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

Ok so something doesn't smell right here. D7 forged is last year winner. Clearly beats the Cobra Forged Tec.

This year the same 2 irons are in the same year and Covers wins over it.

Guess what it means is that the data is not that useful as we are lead to believe. 

I think rather than winners and losers I think the real value in this test is looking at launch spin and relative distances as this way someone can decide on what to consider based on what fits their needs.

the Most Wanted is simply another reference for those looking at purchasing equipment. You still need to test for yourself as your swing is not the same as everyone else’s. 

As far as Wilson vs Cobra, you are talking 2 different years and more than likely different testers as well.

• Like 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

10 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

the Most Wanted is simply another reference for those looking at purchasing equipment. You still need to test for yourself as your swing is not the same as everyone else’s. 

As far as Wilson vs Cobra, you are talking 2 different years and more than likely different testers as well.

Yes 2 different years but same club.

As I said that is why I think launch and skin data is more important than the winner. As it shows relative distances

2 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

Yes 2 different years but same club.

As I said that is why I think launch and skin data is more important than the winner. As it shows relative distances

As mentioned by @blackngold_bloodthere was a different set of testers so that’s going to impact the data set from the two years

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

As @BlackNGold mentioned there was a different set of testers so that’s going to impact the data set from the two years

I understand that which brings me to my point that the winner is arbitrary and friends more on the person using the club than the club.