2021 Most Wanted-Players Distance Irons

Golfspy_CG2

31 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

I understand that which brings me to my point that the winner is arbitrary and friends more on the person using the club than the club.

The winner isn’t necessarily arbitrary. It’s based on the data from the current group of testers. If slower and/or less consistent ball strikers are part of one years testing and then the next year is faster and more consistent ball strikers the results are produce a different outcome so you can’t compare two clubs tested in year 1 with the same clubs in year two. This is why mgs is a proponent of getting fit to find what works best for the individual. The most wanted is more of a guide and not gospel. 

Just like the various tests done for clubs based on swing speed. Sometimes a slow swinger may find that a driver for mid or high swing speed is a better fit than the slower swing driver.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

The winner isn’t necessarily arbitrary. It’s based on the data from the current group of testers. If slower and/or less consistent ball strikers are part of one years testing and then the next year is faster and more consistent ball strikers the results are produce a different outcome so you can’t compare two clubs tested in year 1 with the same clubs in year two. This is why mgs is a proponent of getting fit to find what works best for the individual. The most wanted is more of a guide and not gospel. 

Just like the various tests done for clubs based on swing speed. Sometimes a slow swinger may find that a driver for mid or high swing speed is a better fit than the slower swing driver.

I hear what you say but disagree. The title of the article is most wanted. Not best performing for a select group of testers for which the results will differ if we repeat the test with another group of golfers.

If some one does a acceptance experiment and gets data. Then retreats the experiment with slightly different conditions and the results change then the data is can  not be extrapolated to a larger group.

Maybe it would be better if the test had sub group results based on swing speed and handicap.

42 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

I understand that which brings me to my point that the winner is arbitrary and friends more on the person using the club than the club.

The intent of the test is to determine which off the rack club works best for the largest percentage of players.   Each year with different testers and possibly different club configurations the results will vary.   As one of the testers,  I can assure you that every club in the testing could work for a large percentage of golfers.  There are lots of factors and the winner is chosen based on the data that is collected across multiple testers.   Everyone is unique and could get different results if they were to test the clubs themselves.  The winner is not a random or personal choice.  

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The winners are based on data, however if someone wants to know what is best for him, the only way is to try the clubs.  I think MGS does a better job of testing than any other website or magazine I can think of.  The only way to get purely objective numbers would be to use robotic testing and even that wouldn't translate well to the individual golfer's experience.  I always take these tests as a starting point when shopping for new equipment, not the end point.

• Like 1

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

I was considering the HMB’s when I saw some pristine Ping i500 6-P for less than current trade-in value with 2 hours to go. I placed my max bid and won. They arrive tomorrow but the good news for me was that with the money I saved I could load the top of the bag with useful clubs. Went and got fitted on Monday for G425Max 3, 5, 7, 9 woods, but held off on the 3 wood. Might have to go 5 hybrid in the real world. 

I’ve played Mizuno’s mostly for the past 15 years but played Eye 2 since the dawn of time. I never jelled with the JPX919 Hot Metal Pros. 

• Like 1

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, Pkc said:

Funny, the importance of fitting, was ready to buy the p770’s or mp20 based on reviews.  Club Champion fitted me, both those irons were a miss for me, p770 had a big dispersion, the mp20’s had the worst carry distance and too high a spin rate.  Tried the Cobra, T100, ZX7, jpx forged and tour, Pxg 0311t and ping.  First club the fitter choose for me the ZX7 was still the best dispersion and second longest with great spin numbers. I had no thought of even trying Srixon and was looking for a distance style players iron, which some how the ZX7 is just a players iron but went second furtherest after the p770.  The p770 was averaging 1.4 yards more distance but was flying very high no matter which shaft I used and had a lower spin rate, 4,800-5,000 with a higher dispersion.  The Mizuno’s all were the shortest irons I hit with a very high spin rate, 6 iron with 7,200-7,700 spin rate.  While the ZX7 was 9-12 yards further then the Mixuno irons with a more normal 6,000-6,200 spin rate with my 6 iron.   I guess the importance of fitting every well rated club doesn’t fit everyone the same.

I had the exact same experience. Crazy! Absolutely loved the zx7’s

On 5/15/2021 at 9:51 PM, Canabuc said:

I hear what you say but disagree. The title of the article is most wanted. Not best performing for a select group of testers for which the results will differ if we repeat the test with another group of golfers.

If some one does a acceptance experiment and gets data. Then retreats the experiment with slightly different conditions and the results change then the data is can  not be extrapolated to a larger group.

Maybe it would be better if the test had sub group results based on swing speed and handicap.

I get what you mean.  Article name is more about something eye popping and bringing in readership.  You will see posted all over MGS that it's more about fitting for individual and these are just the guide based on data they represent. 

I prefer that it's real golfers with varying swing speeds and handicaps participating in the test rather than a robot.  

You bring up a good point that there could be a subset, not just of swing speed, but handicap.  Most likely the lower handicaps should have better ball striking opposed to the others and you could get an idea of what could work best.

I wonder about my own swing and fittings. They say your swing is fairly consistent, but I've had a few where it really feels off and the ball flight is not what I'm used to seeing with my equipment or the demo clubs.  I'm not going to commit to buy something when that happens.

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"