There’s no general answer, it depends on each hole and each player. I keep detailed stats on every round.

On my regular course there’s one short par four with a very narrow fairway and serious trouble on both sides - deep rough uphill lie and lost ball left. I tee off with a 4i. There’s another par 4 with serious trouble right and left at my driver distance and I was hitting the fairway 33% of the time. So now I hit 4i or 2h and though it leaves me a long iron approach, I’m scoring better.

But I don’t usually take a 3W over my driver otherwise as a shorter approach is always an advantage IME. Even if I hit a couple more fairways with my 3W, I’d rather have shorter approach/second shots on 14 holes than 20-30 yards further out on 14 holes even if a couple (more) were in the rough. 

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

I only use my driver on par 5's, My good to club off the tee is my 3 wood.  I can control it more and it set me up perfectly for my second shots.  

"First Impressions Really Do Count. Dress To Look The Part You Intend To Play In Life"

a. Iron specs Taylor Made: 3 Deg Up - Stiff - 38"

b. Driver specs (loft/flex):  Cleveland Rogue 10.5 - Even Flow 65 G Stiff

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed) Right

d. Where You Live - Washington, DC metro area

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score - 85-88

Argyle Country club Hole 17 Par 3.JPG

Practice Round Short Game.JPG

tpc potomac Avenel  hole 18 par 4.JPG

I only use my driver on par 5's, My good to club off the tee is my 3 wood.  I can control it more and it set me up perfectly for my second shots.  

Do you have evidence to show you control it better? What does control it better mean? That was kind of the point of the article, people believe they hit the club better but when measured they don’t.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, CarlH said:

Off the deck in the fairway, I stripe my 3 wood.  But, if I tee it up on the tee box for a safer shot than my driver, I invariably slice it, duck hook it, top it, or otherwise screw it up.  😄 

You and my wife have a lot to talk about!!  😂

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's driver on every par 4 and 5 for me, and sometimes on one par 3 if the wind is blowing.  The driver is just as accurate off the tee as any other long club in my bag, so there is no reason I should hit anything else unless there is an obstacle to negotiate.  Of course, I can mishit my driver, but I do that with other clubs as well; that's not a reason to hit less than driver.  

Our course has a drivable par 4 (for the big hitters) but not for me; narrow fairway with hazard and bunker all down the right side to, and in front of, the green; rough, uneven lies and OB on the left.  I could hit a mid-iron then PW or 9i, but driver gets me to a partial LW distance; my favorite club.

I will say if you are young, it's better to swing fast; straighten it out later.  As you get older when you likely hit the ball straighter, it's much more difficult to add more speed.  

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet but it needs to be that there is far more tech in drivers than fairway woods, larger head, more space for tech.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet but it needs to be that there is far more tech in drivers than fairway woods, larger head, more space for tech.

True but I think that is slowly going to change. We are starting to see it with Callaway using AI and jailbreak. I think the fairway woods are the club to watch to see what tech can do. Moveable weights have been around in the for a few years now. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Unless I'm playing in some type of stroke play tournament, I almost always hit driver, unless driver may reach water, or other hazard. Also, I've played so long without a fairway wood, until recently, I would rather choke down, half swing a driver than a full 3W. I pull hook both, and would rather pull hook 30 yards further with a driver.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small: R11 9 degree turned 1 degree lower (Bought since it was on sale at Dick's)

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: GBB Epic 15 degree (only club newer than 5 years in the bag)

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG SRT (bought because I won credit for a long drive in 2010)

As @cnosil alluded to in an earlier post, the main issue in this debate is that (on average) golfers are not appreciably and measurably better and more accurate with the 3 wood than they are driver.  Scott Fawcett often references this statistic when addressing this question:  the "average" PGA Tour player is only 7% more accurate off the tee with 3 wood over driver, yet the yardage sacrificed can be 30-40 yards...3 clubs at least!  And that's PGA Tour players!  At the end of the day it's just a bad trade that you shouldn't make unless you find those rare circumstances where the 3 wood takes a hazard out of play that would be in play with driver.  (Yes, I've been a DECADE member for just a week and I am absolutely drinking the Kool-Aid...) 

Maybe an amateur with a poorly fit driver and a well fit 3 wood would disprove that theory, but in that case the answer is to get fit properly into driver and start hitting it.  

• Like 2

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

(Yes, I've been a DECADE member for just a week and I am absolutely drinking the Kool-Aid...) 

Good or bad, it and my coaches approach have completely my perspective on how to play the game from the tee. The Decade program has also changed how I watch golf and understanding the total BS that is said by many golf announcers. Hope you enjoy the Kool-aid!
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Good or bad, it and my coaches approach have completely my perspective on how to play the game from the tee. The Decade program has also changed how I watch golf and understanding the total BS that is said by many golf announcers. Hope you enjoy the Kool-aid!

Yeah, weather hasn't cooperated to date but I'm likely to get 2 possibly 3 rounds in next week and I'm very excited to take it to the course, not only from a course management perspective but the mental coaching inherent in the system.  I'm only on Foundations so I've only got Month 1 access so far, not the whole system, but I can't see how it doesn't help me either play better, enjoy myself more, or likely both.  First round I'll play next week is on a VERY tight tree-lined course, so we'll see.  (And I'm with you on the announcer BS.  Zinger in particular seems to be consistently full of sh!t.  Well intentioned, but full of it.)

• Like 1

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

How many more fairways are you hitting?  If its only one or two more, you're probably giving up strokes.

Easily 3-5 more fairways and eliminating at least 1-2 penalty strokes

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

4 minutes ago, TBT said:

Then its a good choice, for the moment.  It may also be a pretty strong indication that you need to improve your driver play.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Then its a good choice, for the moment.  It may also be a pretty strong indication that you need to improve your driver play.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I agree with@DaveP043
The returns on clubbing down are diminishing; I cut 6 penalty stokes per round by not hitting driver, but getting a properly fitted driver and some lessons dropped the handicap permanently, and without the distance sacrifice. On top of that, when I was a 14 handicap I’d hit the 3 wood off the planet occasionally as well, so I was teeing off with my 4 iron, giving up 50+ yards on most holes. I don’t even want to think about how many strokes I was giving up from a strokes gained perspective

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png