TESTERS WANTED! ×

Using a compass during a round of golf

Ell

Can somebody please explain to me why the USGA is against Bryson using a compass during a tournament? Do they know what a compass is and what it does? It shows direction, N, S, E, W and combinations thereof.  It doesn't show DISTANCE, SLOPE OF THE GROUND, SPEED OF THE PUTTING SURFACE or WIND SPEED. Bryson is a science nerd. He's into the physics of the golf game. So what? I guess the brain trust at the USGA were never in the Scouts.

Driver: Tommy Armour Atomic, 10.5, Senior Shaft

3 Wood: Cleveland FL, senior graphite shaft.

Adams Idea A12 OS, 3,4,5,6 hybrids, 7 - sand wedge. Senior flex graphite shafts

Ping Answer putter.

Can somebody please explain to me why the USGA is against Bryson using a compass during a tournament? Do they know what a compass is and what it does? It shows direction, N, S, E, W and combinations thereof.  It doesn't show DISTANCE, SLOPE OF THE GROUND, SPEED OF THE PUTTING SURFACE or WIND SPEED. Bryson is a science nerd. He's into the physics of the golf game. So what? I guess the brain trust at the USGA were never in the Scouts.

Wind calculations. He probably has the wind direction from a weather service and while he can have hole orientation is his book, a compass would be more precise. A wind coming from 45* would have less impact than a head on wind.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 minutes ago, Ell said:

He was not using a magnetic compass, he was using a drawing compass.  As such, the compass was deemed to be "unusual equipment" in 2018, nearly 3 years ago.  He can use the compass to measure distances and/or draw circles in his yardage and green-reading books to measure things more precisely than otherwise would be possible.  And that's using unusual equipment.  

But this was 3 years ago, why is it an issue now?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

He was not using a magnetic compass, he was using a drawing compass.  As such, the compass was deemed to be "unusual equipment" in 2018, nearly 3 years ago.  He can use the compass to measure distances and/or draw circles in his yardage and green-reading books to measure things more precisely than otherwise would be possible.  And that's using unusual equipment.  

But this was 3 years ago, why is it an issue now?

Yep,  that was it  🙂

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 1 month later...

How can use of a drawing compass be different than most yardage books that have that as a integral feature reprinted? If he makes the drawing prior to the start of the tourney, it is no different than markers that are off the fairway in the "just in case" yardages in a yardage book. Please inform me of what the actual implications are as I have several homemade yardage books with years of information on courses I play or have played.

3 hours ago, Slypanther said:

How can use of a drawing compass be different than most yardage books that have that as a integral feature reprinted? If he makes the drawing prior to the start of the tourney, it is no different than markers that are off the fairway in the "just in case" yardages in a yardage book. Please inform me of what the actual implications are as I have several homemade yardage books with years of information on courses I play or have played.

Yardage markers on the course give you distances to a specific point (front of the green at tour events).  Players then calculate then calculate the distance to the pin location.   In most instances the yardage marker, the spot the distance was measured to, and the hole are not in a straight ling.    I also doubt the distance arcs you put in your book are done at a granularity of 1 yard.   As a result the more you are off from that straight line the longer your distance gets.  Think of the hypotenuse of a triangle as the sides get longer or shorter so does the hypotenuse but not by the same amount.  knowing the scale in your yardage book will enable him to get an exact distance.