Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How do I know if a golf ball is faulty?

My Golf Spy often points out that some golf balls have a small percentage that might not be usable. (Example: 3% of balls might have off center cores or concentricity issues). Presumably a PGA golfer would never use one of these balls. But how do they know if they have a faulty ball in order not to use it? Is there a way to determine ball quality without cutting them open??? 

Driver: Calloway Maverick @10 degrees

3 wood: Calloway Maverick/3 hybrid: Taylor Made/4-gap: Srixon ZX5/SW: 56 degree TM SB-12/Putter:  Odyssey White Hot

1 hour ago, Duke945 said:

My Golf Spy often points out that some golf balls have a small percentage that might not be usable. (Example: 3% of balls might have off center cores or concentricity issues). Presumably a PGA golfer would never use one of these balls. But how do they know if they have a faulty ball in order not to use it? Is there a way to determine ball quality without cutting them open??? 

x-ray, epsom salts, check go device. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Serious answer:  I don’t think you can. Joking answer:  If you miss a putt, the ball is faulty. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

You can if you have the equipment and knowledge Tony has https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-ball-lab/

Almost no amateur could justify that. And if it was easy to tell, all amateurs would be “testing” and ball makers would be faced with more complaints, maybe forcing them to improve. That said, most modern balls are probably (way) more consistent than previous generations even if there are some outliers.

The irony is the ball makers e.g. Titleist, TM, Callaway etc. sort out the bad ones for the PGA players, they never see them so they don’t have to measure. The factory quality tolerances (that the rest of us buy) are looser than those that are given to touring pros.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

When it comes to the Pros, they are supplied balls directly from the manufacturer, and in some cases, specially designed balls not available to the consumer. This is totally presumptive on my part, but I'd wager that these balls being sent out undergo a slightly more stringent QA process. Or, they may undergo the same QA process, but only those in the upper percentile are packaged for tour use.

Otherwise, I'd suggest X-ray or epsom salts like @cnosil mentioned above. I don't personally care for the check-go device though, and my reasoning is simple. The science may be perfectly sound, but I don't believe you can build in the tolerances required for a truly effective product at just $30. I know there are plenty of golfers who use the device and swear by it, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole, and I think it's something well worth a look by the MGS team. EDIT: I'd love for MGS to prove me wrong. 🙂 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Roll it on a level floor. If it veers off course it's defective. During the era of Nelson, Hogan, Snead and Demerit they would buy 2 dozen balls and roll them on the floor, Out of the 2 dozen only a half dozen rolled true and they still shot lights out. Sorry, but pros today are too persnickety.

Driver: Tommy Armour Atomic, 10.5, Senior Shaft

3 Wood: Cleveland FL, senior graphite shaft.

Adams Idea A12 OS, 3,4,5,6 hybrids, 7 - sand wedge. Senior flex graphite shafts

Ping Answer putter.

Floating in Epsom salt will work if you are meticulous in your marking. But unless it is a really bad ball, it is doubtful that a person will be able to see a difference caused by the ball being bad. Of course there is always the mental benefit of one less thing of concern, and we all know how mental Golf can be sometimes.

Try it by finding "bad" balls and playing them to see if a difference can be noted and if so - then float your balls.

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter