TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is there a computer simple program for maximum driving distance?

I am a senior golfer. I hit my driver around 200 yards. I'm thinking of toying around with my hosel adjustment on my Ping G driver to see what effect it could have. It made me think that there must be a program where you enter various specs like swing speed, loft, shaft flex, etc., and the computer will calculate your launch angle, carry, spin, and total distance. So by playing around with the specs I could see where my maximum distance lies.

The major OEMs must have simulators that their designers use in the beginning stages to see what kind of performance they might get based on club design. My guess is that there is a program out there that can do that for us golfers to get us started. Armed with this first pass information I can then try the recommended loft setting on my current driver that should give me the maximum. 

Does this program exist?

If you can get on Trackman they have a shot optimizer feature. 

They also created a series of charts to show what carry/total is when optimized based on AOA, launch, and spin:

image.png.f35958363a69a3dc60b4b49a36759286.png

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I based on the Trackman chart for my clubhead speed, which I think is around 75 to 78, then my average distance of about 200 years is about right. Analyzing the data shown it looks like I would want to minimize spin and attack the ball with a slightly upward clubhead flight. From this I have a couple of questions:

1. Do the newer drivers from Ping, Callaway, Titleist, etc., impart less spin by design than my Ping G?

2. Is there a published chart that shows a comparison table for spin rates between different manufacturers?

3. How does Dynamic Loft play in this formula?

4 minutes ago, jborchel said:

I based on the Trackman chart for my clubhead speed, which I think is around 75 to 78, then my average distance of about 200 years is about right. Analyzing the data shown it looks like I would want to minimize spin and attack the ball with a slightly upward clubhead flight. From this I have a couple of questions:

1. Do the newer drivers from Ping, Callaway, Titleist, etc., impart less spin by design than my Ping G?

2. Is there a published chart that shows a comparison table for spin rates between different manufacturers?

3. How does Dynamic Loft play in this formula?

Spin is a result of how the golfer swing the club and where they make contact as well as how the face and path are aligned. Some of the new drivers are designed to impart less spin the LST models from Ping, the LS models from Callaway the Sim2 from TM, the Tsi4 from Titleist as examples. Hitting up on the e ball ad making contact in the middle or slightly towards the toe is going to reduce spin in general compared to a downward angle of attack and anything on the heel especially low.

There isn’t a chart per se that you are looking for because again it’s going to vary by each golfer but there are some YouTube channels that have side by side comparison for at least some reference point.

You can read about spin loft for your third question 

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-loft/

The best way to figure out what works for you is to do some sort of fitting whether it’s a demo day or somewhere with a good fitter. Getting the right pairing between shaft and head is what will optimize your ball flight and give you the best results 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If you're looking for a software which can tell a golfer how to adjust their driver for maximum distance ..... then,  it's probably never going to be invented.

Because, you're not playing the golf game on screen.  When dealing with human factor, the actual real time input is needed.  Meaning, participation of human factor, e.g. as others had mentioned, the use of L/M, or the old school of hitting off a driving range or a golf course you're familiar with.  Trial &  Error is my favorite method.  The L/M will cut through some initial analyzing work to save time, but still would need to be validated with on course execution.

If anyone lean heavily on data, then, that'll be exactly what one receives, heavily tilted on the data and not validated with real on the golf course execution.

Your best bet is to find a friendly local golf store which has the L/M set up.  Bring your driver and adjustment tool, bring your own golf balls ( the kind you use on the golf course ), spend 20-30 minutes going through all the adjustment the driver allows.

We never had this problem in the past.  We had to learn to hit the fixed hosel driver with change of the swing path, ball position and the tee height.  Either we'll find the optimal tee height /ball position for that driver or we'll have to get a different driver (or different loft ).  Changing shaft was not as easy as the shafts were glued in the hosel.

Like mentioned above there is not going to be a program that you input your specs and it spits out the ideal settings for your driver.  Once you figure out your average club head speed then take that times 1.5 to find your theoretical max ball speed.  Then use the link that Jlukes post above and play around with various launch and spin number to find the max distance that ball speed is going to travel.  Once you have the ball speed, launch and spin numbers it's really up to you to mess around on a launch monitor and try various settings to see which combo comes closest to those numbers.

If you are happy with the ball flight and shape of your current driver and are getting close the approx distance you should be getting then congratulations, you are well fit and a new club isn't going to do a whole lot for you.  If you are unhappy with any of those things then I would recommend heading to a quality fitter and see if you can find some extra yards with a new club setup.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Club Head speed x 2.6-2.7 = Max carry distance in yards
PING engineering has posted material on this, I found 2.7 to be surprising. But you need to be hitting up on the for sure. 

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Andrew Rice and Chris Broadie say that 1.75 yard per mph of ball speed is optimal. (carry. sea level, 70*)

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 2 months later...