Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Titliest Surefit adapter

Brian A

So I have a bad slice, went to where I purchased my driver to try to get it more dialed in. It’s the TSi3, I had it set on A3, thinking that was the best correction for a slice. The gentleman at the store adjusted it to B4, the monitor said I was hitting it straighter on the sim. So can someone help me interpret what the best setting for a slice is. Their chart is here 

https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-club-fitting/surefit

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

The chart is pretty straightforward. It tells you what the most draw setting is with A3. Lofting up as in B4 closes the face a little which helps with a slice but the flatter lie angle could potentially move your start line further right. So more loft closing the face and a flatter lie angle could potentially mitigate a pull-slice

Did you ask the fitter why he chose B3? You really need to communicate and ask questions to the salesperson or fitter helping you so you can understand why they’re making certain adjustments. 

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The chart is pretty straightforward. It tells you what the most draw setting is with A3. Lofting up as in B4 closes the face a little which helps with a slice but the flatter lie angle could potentially move your start line further right. So more loft closing the face and a flatter lie angle could potentially mitigate a pull-slice

Did you ask the fitter why he chose B3? You really need to communicate and ask questions to the salesperson or fitter helping you so you can understand why they’re making certain adjustments. 

I did and he said because it closes the face 2 degrees, which made sense but I didn’t see the degrees closing on the site 

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

5 minutes ago, Brian A said:

I did and he said because it closes the face 2 degrees, which made sense but I didn’t see the degrees closing on the site 

For some reason OEMs don’t like to advertise how lowering and raising loft changes face angle. 

General rule of thumb to remember is going down in loft opens the face and going up in loft closes the face. 

Did he say why he put you in the flat setting?

Just now, jlukes said:

For some reason OEMs don’t like to advertise how lowering and raising loft changes face angle. 

General rule of thumb to remember is going down in loft opens the face and going up in loft closes the face. 

He did not mention the flatter part. I just thought I knew the chart and why I question it here because I know this group knows a lot more 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

My miss is a hook, and I hit big draws. When I was fit for my Titleist, I was also set to B4. Interesting that this can be a fix for both slice and hook.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I've heard, lowering loft increased spin which wouldn't be helpful for a slice. I'm currently playing B2 with an overpronated L hand helping to correct my slice

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

9 hours ago, Micah T said:

@Brian A which is your ball flight?
IMG_2752.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A combo of C and F. C if it’s good, F but starts out straighter then turns right a lot harder.

I know I have an outside in swing path 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

So my stock swing is B; I used to hit a lot of dead-left pulls. De-lofting my driver opened the face, and made my pull(shape B ) into more of a C shape, a pull-cut/fade. Learning as much as I can about my swing has helped. For me, I have a path issue; it just tends to be about 4-6 degrees left. Combined with my odd ability to make the face match the path no matter what direction I swing, lessons/practice are the real solution for me, not equipment tinkering. So I practice straightening my path and game my driver with the face open to keep it playable. If you have access to a launch monitor I would try a few different settings and see which gives you a repeatable shape, and definitely try those settings outside as well.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I’m not sure why he would put you in the flatter option to correct a slice, I tend to hook the ball and I’m in the flat profile to open the face slightly while increasing the loft since I tend to hit my driver very low.

Have you gone out and hit it since he made the adjustments?

If your ball flight was more of a pull slice then a closed club face could make that even worse...maybe he opened it up slightly to give you more of a controllable fade.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Leave the setting at B2 and move the ball forward in your setup and see if you can get a fade. May have to move it more than you may like, Don,t let your right shoulder close. But then again you may have already done that.

Taylormade driver Sldr stiff D9+ custom shaft SST pure

3,4,5, Tour Edge hyb reg. 60 gram.

Mzunio 921 fourged 5-G  D2 5.5 flex

Titleist wedges 54 58 D5 Nippon SST pure

Evnroll putter

first in April to Sept. Clear ball the original. second Prov 1

off season Vice tour plus

44 minutes ago, PankaGolf said:

Driver settings won’t fix a slice. Lessons and understanding why will. 

yours kindly 

a former slicer. 

I agree with Pankagolf....a swing path slice can't properly be eliminated with club adjustments.  If it was an open club face at impact then you can adjust that out.  Look up some drills on swing plane.  It helped me a bunch, I went from an over the top fader/slicer 5yrs ago to barely being able to hit a fade when I try to now.

Golf without a cigar has not been a good use of time.

Hi Brian,

I agree with PanGolf. I personally play the Titleist driver since they have the surefit system. Best thing to do for you is to try to correct your swing path toward an inside out one and draw the ball or correct your slice (D path explained before). Concerning you setting, one thing sure is that if your flight is at a correct height at neutral adjustment (A1), you would be better to put at A2 instead of A3 to try to correct the slice, since increasing the loft increase the spin, so increase your slice. If you don't correct your swing path, your best bet is to go with a draw biais driver like the Ping SFT or the TaylorMade Sim Max D that are really effective. I hope that this will help you.

Unless you have a very flat swing plane, the A3 setting that you had your adapter set at SHOULD have resulted in more of a right-to-left (or center-to-left) shot pattern than the B4 setting.  This is due to the significantly more-upright lie angle that the A3 setting will give you.  Your results with it set to B4 are more than a bit baffling to me (I am a Professional Clubfitter, with more than 32 years experience)

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Agree with everyone on lessons.  I’ve gone to Golftec for lessons and planning on going again. Just still not good.

3 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Unless you have a very flat swing plane, the A3 setting that you had your adapter set at SHOULD have resulted in more of a right-to-left (or center-to-left) shot pattern than the B4 setting.  This is due to the significantly more-upright lie angle that the A3 setting will give you.  Your results with it set to B4 are more than a bit baffling to me (I am a Professional Clubfitter, with more than 32 years experience)

This is why I lm here because I was confused.

also I have steep attack angle if that matters

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Agree with everyone on lessons.  I’ve gone to Golftec for lessons and planning on going again. Just still not good.
This is why I lm here because I was confused.

also I have steep attack angle if that matters

It definitely does; spin loft number is one to pay attention to. You hitting down on the ball with a driver is creating more spin, which isn’t helping your slice.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

21 minutes ago, Micah T said:

It definitely does; spin loft number is one to pay attention to. You hitting down on the ball with a driver is creating more spin, which isn’t helping your slice.

The gentleman fitting me said I was getting 7 iron spin numbers with driver 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

People react differently to how clubs are setup. There are
Multiple settings on the club that you are asking about. Whether it seems right or not, were the results better with the fitter suggested settings?

The purpose of that setting was to get you better results with how you currently swing the club. As others have mentioned if you have a big slice not setting will turn that into a straight flight or draw. The only “real” way to fix a slice is to change the club path and face angle.

Those setting won’t impact backspin either. To fix that problem you need to alter thinks like angle of attack and dynamic loft.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 4/20/2021 at 4:47 PM, jlukes said:

My understanding based on watching something from Tom Wishon is that there is some nuance about the loft change and the face angle with adjustable adapters. When changing the loft on the adapter, it does literally close the face angle, but does not actually change the loft, unless the player soles the driver and rotates the face to square at setup. The rotating to square at setup is what then changes the loft of the club. If you just sole the driver as it wants to lie at setup, then you do have a closed face due to the adapter change, but no change in loft. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

People react differently to how clubs are setup. There are
Multiple settings on the club that you are asking about. Whether it seems right or not, were the results better with the fitter suggested settings

Yup. When I did a titleist Thursday for the 917 driver after we got everything dialed in and finalized the fitter asked me if he could make some tweaks to get data and see how certain changes affect a golfer. I don’t recall the setting he put it on initially gave it to me and asked me not to look at the setting. He was watching me swing and the way the club sat without me realizing it caused me to change my swing to get my desired result. The numbers he said were terrible and I could see in the ball flight it wasn’t anything I could live with on the course 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

My understanding based on watching something from Tom Wishon is that there is some nuance about the loft change and the face angle with adjustable adapters. When changing the loft on the adapter, it does literally close the face angle, but does not actually change the loft, unless the player soles the driver and rotates the face to square at setup. The rotating to square at setup is what then changes the loft of the club. If you just sole the driver as it wants to lie at setup, then you do have a closed face due to the adapter change, but no change in loft. 

Correct.

37 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Can you provide examples of a shaft designed specifically for woods. All the woods shafts I know are the same as the driver shaft they just are tipped generally 1/2” then butt trimmed for length. 

Accra has always made shafts that are specifically designed for use in fairway woods, and Pederson does this as well. Besides being at least 2" shorter than their driver shafts (43" to 44" vs. 46" for the corresponding driver shaft), these fairway shafts weigh 10 to 15 grams more and they generally have a softer tip section to promote higher launch.  Aerotech also has a line of .335" tip SteelFiber shafts designed specifically for use in fairway woods.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

Accra has always made shafts that are specifically designed for use in fairway woods, and Pederson does this as well. Besides being at least 2" shorter than their driver shafts (43" to 44" vs. 46" for the corresponding driver shaft), these fairway shafts weigh 10 to 15 grams more and they generally have a softer tip section to promote higher launch.  Aerotech also has a line of .335" tip SteelFiber shafts designed specifically for use in fairway woods.

Which shafts from Accra are designed specifically for fairway woods. I thought I was pretty familiar with Accra and don’t ever recall seeing them have a shaft only for fairways.

I do recall something about the aerotech but I’m not a fan of the steelfiber in irons so they’ve never really been a brand ive done any research on

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Which shafts from Accra are designed specifically for fairway woods. I thought I was pretty familiar with Accra and don’t ever recall seeing them have a shaft only for fairways.

I do recall something about the aerotech but I’m not a fan of the steelfiber in irons so they’ve never really been a brand ive done any research on

There is a iwood fwy tour shaft for example:

http://accragolf.com/iwood-ihybrid-shafts/

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 4/22/2021 at 9:58 AM, Brian A said:

The gentleman fitting me said I was getting 7 iron spin numbers with driver 

Ooof. That’s tough. Were you fitted for the shaft as well? A steep angle of attack would certainly contribute to higher spin numbers.  

I have the TS2, and it’s currently at the D2 ... but that’s mainly to assist me with a more upright lie. My standard iron specs are 2° upright with +1 inch on the shafts. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

19 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

Ooof. That’s tough. Were you fitted for the shaft as well? A steep angle of attack would certainly contribute to higher spin numbers.  

I have the TS2, and it’s currently at the D2 ... but that’s mainly to assist me with a more upright lie. My standard iron specs are 2° upright with +1 inch on the shafts. 

They put me in the smoke black 6.0, I recently ordered the Smoke Green 6.5tx which is supposedly a spin killer! 

again lessons and fixing my swing is the longer term goal, just frustrating when I shoot a 97 and the majority comes from trying to recover from the tee shot being way right 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

They put me in the smoke black 6.0, I recently ordered the Smoke Green 6.5tx which is supposedly a spin killer! 

again lessons and fixing my swing is the longer term goal, just frustrating when I shoot a 97 and the majority comes from trying to recover from the tee shot being way right 

Depends on if you have the swing speed to launch a ball with a shaft that stiff; I swing +115 and couldn’t really get the flight I wanted with it. Might depend on how you load it and how aggressively you transition...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9