TESTERS WANTED! ×

$40 MILLION FOR TOUR NEEDLE MOVERS

GaDawg

11 hours ago, GaDawg said:

"An individual’s value will be based not just on on-course performance but rather an Impact Score, which will be determined using six metrics: a player’s position on the FedExCup points list; a player’s popularity in Google Search; a player’s Nielsen Brand Exposure rating; a player’s Q Rating (appeal); a player’s MVP Index rating (engagement on social and digital channels); and a player’s Meltwater Mentions (frequency he generates coverage across media platforms)."

Call me a Dud, Ole Fart, etc., but I don't do social media. Never have and never will, that's one of the tings wrong with our country today. I think this new incentive program is a crock of crap. Play the game of golf, whomever shoots the lowest score wins and divide the money based on how the field finishes.

I feel certain others are going to disagree, but to each his own.

Is this like old man golf media being forced to use social media with daily posts. Posts that seem stale and pushed. Unfortunately with people cutting the cord and becoming more intwined with social media it's what's driving profits

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I consider myself old and don’t necessarily agree with this I understand why they are doing it.

Golf is considered and old man elitist sport and they are trying to generate interest in younger generations. That group spends considerable time on social media. The tour is leveraging its players to advertise and generate interest. The tour would probably spend this in less effective advertising so why not channel the money through people that have a vested interest in people liking and being involved in the sport.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Like @cnosil I’m in the older group and while there is a bunch of negativity and a change in people’s mentality spread across social media there is good in it as well. People of all backgrounds have made a life for themselves Thur branding on social media. It’s a great way for someone to market themselves and reach people they wouldn’t be able to do as easily through older methods. 

I can see where the tour is coming from and the players in the category they are referring to get to pick and choose the courses they play and they can avoid ones that don’t matchup well for them. Give them some incentive to play some of these events, generate buzz and ticket sales and that money is in some capacity given back to the community and charities. 

Would it be nice to see that money go to other tours or organizations? Sure but the tour is looking out for #1 and the players that will benefit the tour.

I think the concept is going to probably fall flat but we shall see

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think I'm in agreement with most of you. Seems like a poor way to spend an additional slush fund the PGA tour has. Maybe it's a stalwart against slumps we've seen Spieth fall into and now see Rickie in so they can keep the lights turned on 🙄... Wild thing is popular players get more endorsements. It would make more sense to create a retirement fund for journeymen players or even caddies. Caddies have zero support from tour as independent contractors. Lots of better ways to spend this money than giving popular players more money. Of course it's the tours money so they will spend it as they want...  

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I consider myself old and don’t necessarily agree with this I understand why they are doing it.

Golf is considered and old man elitist sport and they are trying to generate interest in younger generations. That group spends considerable time on social media. The tour is leveraging its players to advertise and generate interest. The tour would probably spend this in less effective advertising so why not channel the money through people that have a vested interest in people liking and being involved in the sport.

Agree with you here on this.  I'm not a fan of this, but take Rickie Fowler for example and his massive popularity even still.  He's brought a ton of kids to golf that may not have otherwise considered this as a sport and was a very good player for a few years.  But some of his highest popularity came early when he was only a top 40 player.

I think the dollars would already be spent and this may not work, but potentially worth a try to see if it moves the needle.  We don't have another Tiger Woods that is going to drive millions of people to golf currently or maybe ever.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

29 minutes ago, DannyDips said:

It would make more sense to create a retirement fund for journeymen players or even caddies.

I was listening to a podcast - i think it was no laying up when they had Jason Bohn a few times.  He gave details to how some of the retirement worked for PGA Tour Members.  Very interesting.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I honestly don't understand this. I think winning is more important, and I wonder if some of the better players that don't care about winning would be happy earning money here. I can see them trying to promote Ricky, and he isn't winning, but he probably has a lot of social media "points".  Maybe let a winner take over the PGA social media site for a couple of days, and pay them for that.  I'd much rather watch people like Collin McCarthy, or GM_Golf, or golf trick shots, or even Rick Shiels on social media. DJ (without Paulina) doesn't get my interest.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

22 hours ago, GaDawg said:

"An individual’s value will be based not just on on-course performance but rather an Impact Score, which will be determined using six metrics: a player’s position on the FedExCup points list; a player’s popularity in Google Search; a player’s Nielsen Brand Exposure rating; a player’s Q Rating (appeal); a player’s MVP Index rating (engagement on social and digital channels); and a player’s Meltwater Mentions (frequency he generates coverage across media platforms)."

Call me a Dud, Ole Fart, etc., but I don't do social media. Never have and never will, that's one of the tings wrong with our country today. I think this new incentive program is a crock of crap. Play the game of golf, whomever shoots the lowest score wins and divide the money based on how the field finishes.

I feel certain others are going to disagree, but to each his own.

No disagreement from me.  My rub with social media is that it has become a form of vigilantism and oppression to those not in lock step with the populist views. Turning any aspect of PGA payouts into a who's popular and who's not contest is ridiculous. Play the match, lowest score wins... period.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

15 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

No disagreement from me.  My rub with social media is that it has become a form of vigilantism and oppression to those not in lock step with the populist views. Turning any aspect of PGA payouts into a who's popular and who's not contest is ridiculous. Play the match, lowest score wins... period.

100%

This could be life changing money for caddies. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I think this whole thing is pretty weird

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

With this bonus Rickie Fowler may never have to win another golf tournament!😀

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

With this bonus Rickie Fowler may never have to win another golf tournament!

Hahahahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Boy how much could you do for JUNIOR GOLF with some chunk of that $40M? How about pick your players and have them play a skins game to determine which charity gets the the $$$$.... 

Maybe even give it to some of the golf courses to lengthen them.

Do any of our MGS fantasy players get points towards playoffs from this?
It is a interesting concept and I tend to agree with what is being said in all the above posts. It is a lot of money and likely could be spend elsewhere to help the game in a more impactful manner. 
NLU has made several arguments in the past that players who move the needle should somehow make more as they bring more eyes to the event they are in, however through their own social medias and endorsements they often make more then can be dreamt of. 
Hopefully some good of this comes and maybe in the end the players who do earn this will use it to give back to events or charities that will help the game as a whole. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I made my statement above without having delved into the details.  Upon further review, I stand by my statement but now understand some of the motivation for this, outwardly ridiculous, program. 
PGA Tour to create $40 million bonus pool for stars like Tiger Woods (usatoday.com)
It seems the "PIP" program/fund is, at least to some level, the PGA's effort to stave off having any of their top players jump ship and move onto the Premier Golf League.
Known as the Player Impact Program, the concept is seen as a direct response to Premier Golf League, a proposed splinter tour funded by the Saudi Arabian regime that has tried to lure golf’s biggest names with the promise of a massive guaranteed pay day. PGL has spent years trying to gain traction but seems no closer to signing a sufficient number of elite players to be viable. The stuttering PGL effort nevertheless forced the PGA Tour to devise a means to reward stars for the value they add to the overall product rather than solely for their on-course performance.
Ponying up $40M sure looks to me like the PGA views the PGL as something more than a sputtering, traction-less threat. This could very well backfire on them whereby some of their solid players pool continues to work hard and place well at events only to see their social media popular competitors miss cuts and make more money than them.  That may be just the motivation needed to become the new, highly paid stars of the PGL.  
Like so many things, just follow the money... I sure hate seeing professional golf headed down this road .

Wish I could give this multiple likes. Thanks for posting the additional “motivation” behind the program as it definitely casts a different light on the topic.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I made my statement above without having delved into the details.  Upon further review, I stand by my statement but now understand some of the motivation for this, outwardly ridiculous, program. 

PGA Tour to create $40 million bonus pool for stars like Tiger Woods (usatoday.com)

It seems the "PIP" program/fund is, at least to some level, the PGA's effort to stave off having any of their top players jump ship and move onto the Premier Golf League.

Known as the Player Impact Program, the concept is seen as a direct response to Premier Golf League, a proposed splinter tour funded by the Saudi Arabian regime that has tried to lure golf’s biggest names with the promise of a massive guaranteed pay day. PGL has spent years trying to gain traction but seems no closer to signing a sufficient number of elite players to be viable. The stuttering PGL effort nevertheless forced the PGA Tour to devise a means to reward stars for the value they add to the overall product rather than solely for their on-course performance.

Ponying up $40M sure looks to me like the PGA views the PGL as something more than a sputtering, traction-less threat. This could very well backfire on them whereby some of their solid players pool continues to work hard and place well at events only to see their social media popular competitors miss cuts and make more money than them.  That may be just the motivation needed to become the new, highly paid stars of the PGL.  

Like so many things, just follow the money... I sure hate seeing professional golf headed down this road 😦.

First off the whole thing is dumb and weird.

That being said golf is the only sport that I can think of where you are paid based on your daily performance. All other sports pay you based on past/future performance. From that aspect it does make some sense. Doing it based of SM interactions is not the right method but there is some validity to the program as a whole. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Why shouldn’t labor share in the profits?

And the result of this is that it is not just about what happens on the course. If you want to point the finger of blame for that point it at Arnie. (And it’s not because I didn’t like him just making the point that he was compensated well beyond what his playing skills justified - with very good reason)

As to taking the 40 mil and dumping it into charity the idea is to invest this money in such a way that the Tour earns more and thus has more to give to charitable organizations while growing the game for the future.

The PGA tour has a better than most record when it comes to giving outside of itself.

I understand this move, it helps protect and expand the business in an ever changing marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Turning the popularity of golf over to the social media mob is ridiculous. Players like Arnie, Jack Tiger and Phil always made extra money thru endorsements and pay to play arrangements at occasional tournaments. The market place will balance itself.
This is an incredibly poor decision by the PGA imo.

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Agree with pretty much all this. It’s unfortunate that money is needed to keep players somewhere. I understand it but don’t agree with it because I know what I would do.

maybe it’s just me and I admittedly am pretty naive when it comes to tour cards and what tournaments someone can play in but won’t these guys just play in whatever tournament they want in anyway regardless of who’s paying them?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

18 minutes ago, revkev said:

Why shouldn’t labor share in the profits?

Then why not just split the $40M over the years event payouts?  This way all of the players get equal opportunity benefit.

11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Then why not just split the $40M over the years event payouts?  This way all of the players get equal opportunity benefit.

Because the tour isn’t worried about losing guys at the bottom of the rankings. Look at what happened in European soccer. The minute it looked like the big name teams were heading for another league the powers to be threatened them with a huge fine. Then all of a sudden those teams weren’t so interested in leaving.

Paying the names that draws fans is how you keep others from stealing talent and making profits off them and affecting your profits. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Because the tour isn’t worried about losing guys at the bottom of the rankings. Look at what happened in European soccer. The minute it looked like the big name teams were heading for another league the powers to be threatened them with a huge fine. Then all of a sudden those teams weren’t so interested in leaving.

Paying the names that draws fans is how you keep others from stealing talent and making profits off them and affecting your profits. 

But the top ranked players are going to get the majority of the increased purse size; so it still rewards them more while still giving the lower ranked players a piece of the pie.  Moreover, it eliminates the popularity contest aspect.

38 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

But the top ranked players are going to get the majority of the increased purse size; so it still rewards them more while still giving the lower ranked players a piece of the pie.  Moreover, it eliminates the popularity contest aspect.

Well the tour is a popularity thing. People aren’t paying to watch guys that aren’t named DJ, Rahm, Tiger, Phil and about 10-15 others. 

I used to go to tigers event at concessional and the years he wasn’t there attendance was way down even with some bigger names there. You could walk and talk with a bunch of different groups of middle of the pack players even on the weekend because nobody was following them or sitting around the holes they were playing.