Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

THC and its effects on your game

Jumping off @StrokerAce post on a golf digest article made me go back to one I read the other day. Marijuana and its effects on the game. I liked its predecessor alcohol on your game https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-does-alcohol-affect-your-golf-game-an-investigation

I am not a smoker on or off course these days but still an interesting read. As they wrap up all in moderation right? For me not sure how it would effect me but I would venture to guess I would probably become to laxed. I know my limit with the booze on course but do not have any baseline for THC

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-does-marijuana-affect-your-golf-game-an-investigation

What say you?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

No way. 

Last time I indulged on the course, probably 1977, I whiffed three times on a 5-wood shot off the deck, then when I finally made contact, I almost killed a nice lady 100 yards to my right in another fairway.  (Maybe coming over the top "a little")

Was even too stupefied to yell fore.   Never again.

I used to partake quite heavily many years ago but no more.  Of the few times Ive tried it in the last few years, there is no way I could golf as its just too powerful for me.  Im sure if took a toll on my game in the day but no proof.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, TimzxX said:

I can try it sometimes, and I don't have any problems

Oh I know some folks that can the whole round. Usually playing better. I know I am probably not one of those folks. Maybe years ago but not now 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

I regularly use Marijuana on and off the course. I have never been a big drinker, as I tend to feel sluggish from a few beers. If you can find your sweet spot, I start to enjoy my round a lot better. I may not always play better, which I can only blame on my game. I regularly use a vape pen for ease of use and to limit the smell, since I play a lot as a single. Even as a regular user, I only take 2 hits on the course. I usually take one while warming up to let the initial high feeling settle and one around the corner. I try to stay away from a heavy Indica and usually buy a 100 stavia strain or a stavia forward hybrid. What I find is that it really calms me down and settles the nerve, plus I enjoy the euphoric feeling outside on the course. In short, I suggest giving it a try but first finding your baseline off the course.  

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

• 5 months later...
On 11/8/2021 at 5:50 AM, Riverboat said:

Judging only by playing behind groups that are using it, the game deteriorates as the round progresses....I don't care. Pace of play gradually slows WAY down... I do care. Get the hell off my course with that stuff. Not to mention that at least one of these stumbling fools has to drive them home after the round. Not good. 

No different than the group of Claw Bras!!!! 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

I believe he is referencing the white claw revolution lol. 

Slow play happens regardless of intoxication. I have never really had an issue with those that smoke on course, I have found the more destructive is from the beverages....

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's necessary to consume directly at the moment of the game itself. I usually used it exclusively after some kind of intense or very stressful game. Especially to help with the stress. Also lately as far as I know a very popular cbd oil canada it also helps to relax and relieve stress and it consists only of natural substances. 

Edited by alikprohor

I use a vape pen often when I play.  What I've found is that it doesn't seem to cause coordination issues like alcohol.  However, if you've never played high on pot before, you may get paranoid in thinking that "I can't possible play in this condition."  When you think this, it's over.  You will make awful shots.  It's not different than when your confidence is gone for other reasons. Too many swing thoughts will pop up.  Your swing will suffer. 

Once you can get over this and realize that your brain is still perfectly capable to making a good swing and come down, you will be fine.   I haven't haven't kept track of high it effects my score, but anecdotally, I don't think it has an effect on my score.  It makes the round more enjoyable sometimes.

pakman92

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro
  • 5 weeks later...

I think it's similar to alcohol, it can help when used in moderation, but going a bit too far, makes your game way worse.

For me, I hit the vape during warm ups, and maybe again at the turn. Helps me relax, and loosen up, physically and mentally.

Understanding limits is key, at least if you care about playing well.

• 9 months later...

Smoking weed increases heart rate, which is why some athletes use cannabis before workouts, thereby increasing their efficiency. Marijuana also regulates fatigue and thus can alleviate physical and mental exhaustion, making it an ideal drug for athletes looking for relief from intense training regimens. My friend is a light-weight athlete and at times he buys Oklahoma medical cannabis dispensaries. He says it allows for quick muscle recovery after workouts, as constant pain is common in big sports. As for me, the extract of this plant helps me to fall asleep quickly.

Edited by contactingv

No clue! My company has a very strict drug and alcohol policy. Random testing can happen at any time and if you pop positive you are done. They even said if you use CBD oil, gummies or anything like that and you pop positive because of the hemp used you are done. My job / career is too important to my family to even consider taking a chance. 

Let's revisit this thread in about 8 years when I retire and see what I say then! 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 8 months later...

I enjoy the occasional solo round with a small joint.  I'll usually wait to light it until hole 3 or 4 and when the course isn't crowded (a Fall weekday usually does the trick).

I can't say it helps or hurts my game; if there is any effect, it's minimal.  But it does help my mood a bit.  I worry less about technique and if I'm going to slice into the woods and just enjoy the simple fact that I'm out on the course.

It's definitely different than alcohol.  Alcohol helps my game until it destroys my game.  And the line between helping and destroying seems to be about 2 or 3 sips too many.

edit:  Wow, this thread was resurrected from the dead.

Edited by Brooky03

Growing up in the sixties, I saw how refer affected my school chums. It turned them into “do-nothings”. One may think it doesn’t affect their game, but it affects their drive to improve, or challenge themselves in the long term. Make no mistake, distracting yourself from what you love, be it golf and/or other important things will lead to love the distraction instead.

1 hour ago, Vaducci said:

Growing up in the sixties, I saw how refer affected my school chums. It turned them into “do-nothings”. One may think it doesn’t affect their game, but it affects their drive to improve, or challenge themselves in the long term. Make no mistake, distracting yourself from what you love, be it golf and/or other important things will lead to love the distraction instead.

You took this to the extreme.  I think we're talking about recreational use, not chronic (no pun intended) use.  Abuse of any drug will be detrimental.

1 hour ago, Vaducci said:

I have several friends that are extremely active . One is a body builder and actually uses it as a motivator for cardio work. I think you can find extremes on both ends.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

47 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I have several friends that are extremely active . One is a body builder and actually uses it as a motivator for cardio work. I think you can find extremes on both ends.

You can find extremes as well as a lot of internal bias.  The mere mention of THC is enough to trigger an emotional response unlike anything else.

IMO, the world works best when people are left to use / participate in / enjoy whatever suits them so long as it doesn't affect anyone else's life negatively.  THC is awesome and should be used by anyone who wishes.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

3 minutes ago, bens197 said:

You can find extremes as well as a lot of internal bias.  The mere mention of THC is enough to trigger an emotional response unlike anything else.

IMO, the world works best when people are left to use / participate in / enjoy whatever suits them so long as it doesn't affect anyone else's life negatively.  THC is awesome and should be used by anyone who wishes.

100% and majority of the folks fall in the middle.

me with THC I am at the stage in my life I wouldn’t be able to operate using it. Some day down the road will Definitly partake again but at this time way to much going on 😂

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

11 minutes ago, bens197 said:

... I am surprised nobody has mentioned edibles or strains. You can regulate the effect easier than smoking/vaping and it comes on slower and lasts longer. Then are you using Sativa, Indica or a Hybrid strain? Sativa is mentally stimulating while Indica is more physically and mentally relaxing and of course a hybrid some combination of both. I have always found THC enhances music, film and intimacy but I would never combine it with sports. As an aside, I have never seen anyone being obnoxious when high opposed to many, many of those drinking too much and causing a myriad of problems from music played waaaaay too loud to outright physical confrontations. Just sayin ...

... I tried it once in college playing basketball and setting up on the wing just inside the 3 point line, if someone didn't have a hand in my face I'm letting it fly as soon as it touches my hands, usually hitting around 60%. Playing some guys that didn't know me, they left me open and soon as the ball was checked my playing pard fired it over to me and I should have been licking my chops but instead the ball seemed to grow the size of a beach ball and traveling right at my face 3 times it's normal speed (seemingly) so I ducked and it sailed out of bounds. 🤣 Jogged off the court and went back to the dorm to listen to some Pink Floyd. 

... The 2nd and last time was 20 years later when my cousin begged me to try it again with him on a military golf course we had never played. So against my better judgement I joined him and on the 2nd hole, a short par 3 I hit the green (surprisingly in my condition) and Bill missed short and in the rough. As we approached the green 4 guys in the fairway to our right about 170 yds away were screaming at us and one of the larger and pretty annoyed short haired and in shape soldiers started jogging toward us and I realized we had hit shots backwards off the tee and on their par 4 green. 😱  Thankfully they were walking and we pushed our carts as fast as we could leaving our balls were they were, made it to the parking lot and drove straight to a Chick Fil A. As they saying goes, 3 times and you're out so I have never been tempted to combine THC and sports again. My 34 yr old son OTOH can't play without THC, something I found out when he was in his mid 20's and he no longer hid it from me. It really shouldn't have surprised me since he was born on April 20th. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

9 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I am surprised nobody has mentioned edibles or strains. You can regulate the effect easier than smoking/vaping and it comes on slower and lasts longer. Then are you using Sativa, Indica or a Hybrid strain? Sativa is mentally stimulating while Indica is more physically and mentally relaxing and of course a hybrid some combination of both. I have always found THC enhances music, film and intimacy but I would never combine it with sports. As an aside, I have never seen anyone being obnoxious when high opposed to many, many of those drinking too much and causing a myriad of problems from music played waaaaay too loud to outright physical confrontations. Just sayin ...

... I tried it once in college playing basketball and setting up on the wing just inside the 3 point line, if someone didn't have a hand in my face I'm letting it fly as soon as it touches my hands, usually hitting around 60%. Playing some guys that didn't know me, they left me open and soon as the ball was checked my playing pard fired it over to me and I should have been licking my chops but instead the ball seemed to grow the size of a beach ball and traveling right at my face 3 times it's normal speed (seemingly) so I ducked and it sailed out of bounds. 🤣 Jogged off the court and went back to the dorm to listen to some Pink Floyd. 

... The 2nd and last time was 20 years later when my cousin begged me to try it again with him on a military golf course we had never played. So against my better judgement I joined him and on the 2nd hole, a short par 3 I hit the green (surprisingly in my condition) and Bill missed short and in the rough. As we approached the green 4 guys in the fairway to our right about 170 yds away were screaming at us and one of the larger and pretty annoyed short haired and in shape soldiers started jogging toward us and I realized we had hit shots backwards off the tee and on their par 4 green. 😱  Thankfully they were walking and we pushed our carts as fast as we could leaving our balls were they were, made it to the parking lot and drove straight to a Chick Fil A. As they saying goes, 3 times and you're out so I have never been tempted to combine THC and sports again. My 34 yr old son OTOH can't play without THC, something I found out when he was in his mid 20's and he no longer hid it from me. It really shouldn't have surprised me since he was born on April 20th. 🤪

The level of obnoxiousness is notable. I’ve seen more harm done while imbibing the loudmouth soup than getting high. 

And as many here say, YMMV 😊

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

10 minutes ago, bens197 said:

The level of obnoxiousness is notable. I’ve seen more harm done while imbibing the loudmouth soup than getting high. 

... What an eye opener this map is when it comes to open and closed minds. Some states want to dictate how folks should live their lives while other states leave it up to the individual. I have heard too many over the years that have never even tried THC, espouse the Evil of Weed while sipping their 3rd after round cocktail before jumping in their car and driving home. 🙄

White - All illegal
Dark Green - Medical Only
Green - All legal 

US-Map-July3.png.webp.37b93c35e3a3022fbc831ce4859de417.webp

I don't drink nor toke on course. 

My game is too erratic sometimes and I do not want a "attempted manslaughter" rap from a mishit ball while under the influence. 

I have a regular in our charitable event foursome who partakes much, and he still has game before and after. 

I don't like the driving home business afterwards though.  He's a big boy and I'm not his pops.

I had two gummies at a party before friends ran screaming, "Noooo".

IIRC 15mg THC, 15 mg CBD some letter, 15 mg CBD another letter and .05 THC resin.

It might not be a planet, but I visited Pluto within a half hour and was roasted, toasted and cleaosted for about 6 hours.

Epic Flash Driver 12deg Project X Even Flow 40

Epic Flash 3 wood 15deg Project X Even Flow 60

Epic Flash 5 wood 18deg Project X Even Flow 55

Epic Flash 7 wood 21deg Project X Even Flow 65

Epic Flash 5 hybrid 24 deg Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver

2019 Big Bertha OS irons 5-9 UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460|F2

Callaway Jaws Raw 48deg Project X Catalyst Wedge

Equalizer II 52deg UST Recoil 760-F2/A-Flex

Sure Out 2 56deg UST Mamiya Wedge 65

Meridian Okatie putter

On 5/19/2021 at 8:16 AM, Lacassem said:

Oh I know some folks that can the whole round. Usually playing better. I know I am probably not one of those folks. Maybe years ago but not now 

I don't partake; my parents were big hippies and smoked all the time so I very quickly know when it's in the air and have smelled it on occasion while playing.

That being said I cannot fathom using it based on the level of concentration that I find required to hit a good golf shot. For those that can do it and do it successfully, color me impressed.

I can barely concentrate and focus with very little substance in me - caffeine, 1 beer.

Edit: after reading the comments in this thread it appears that the effects could be entirely different than what I'm perceiving; perhaps it helps folks concentrate more, rather than less? Anyhow, I'm with @bens197 - to each their own; if you want to do it be my guest, just use proper etiquette and pace of play and you can play barefoot, in a Hawaiian shirt, torn shorts and a straw hat while hitting the bong for all I care. 🤣

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I enjoy both THC and alcohol.  Knowing your limits is key.  I've been very drunk on the course before and my game always falls apart...when I use THC, I haven't gotten to the point where it drastically hurts my game.   I seem to shoot mid 80's all the time, whether I'm totally sober or if I'm partaking in alcohol AND THC...so I say F it, if I'm gonna shoot 85 regardless, give me my vices. 

www.mgatour.com

Chapter leader of the Twin Cities MGA

MN is now LEGAL!   💣

23 hours ago, chisag said:

... What an eye opener this map is when it comes to open and closed minds. Some states want to dictate how folks should live their lives while other states leave it up to the individual. I have heard too many over the years that have never even tried THC, espouse the Evil of Weed while sipping their 3rd after round cocktail before jumping in their car and driving home. 🙄

White - All illegal
Dark Green - Medical Only
Green - All legal 

US-Map-July3.png.webp.37b93c35e3a3022fbc831ce4859de417.webp

www.mgatour.com

13 minutes ago, MNMGA2023 said:

MN is now LEGAL!   💣

.. Sweet! Welcome to 2023. Hard to believe NC, SC, TN, KY, IN, WI, KS, NE, WY and ID aren't even medically legal is a travesty and one of the reason the federal govt should legalize it everywhere but those same azz backwards politicians that think Refer Madness is a documentary always block it. Friend of mine just went through Chemo/Radiation for cancer in his throat and THC was a huge relief for him and he had not ever tried it to prior. He is now a believer and thankfully cancer free. 

THC has so many benefits, it's hard to believe it isn't even medically available in a lot of states.  But it's a states right to decide....AND, with anything like this (alcohol, THC etc), enjoy in moderation, don't drive, know your limits.  

www.mgatour.com

You're absolutely right – discussions about THC can get pretty intense. Finding a balanced perspective is key. I agree with you on the idea that personal choices should be respected as long as they don't harm others. Speaking of which, I've been checking out https://releaf.co.uk for insights on cannabis, and they've got some cool stuff.

Edited by YasmineWest