TESTERS WANTED! ×

SPY PICS! - MacGregor TOURNEY 2011 HY and FW

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Ok, like what? Make some suggestions.

Not sure really. I was just thinking that say having a Aldila NV shaft in the club would make someone more comfortable trying out the club because they would be familiar with the shaft performance.

Something like that would decrease the variables for someone who wants to buy a club/brand that they are unfamiliar with.

I am not saying that the stock shafts are bad as they are right now at all. For all I know, they are amazing. I am just saying that they represent a bit of an unknown to the consumer. Maybe it is just a matter of getting some specs and comparisons to more well known shafts out there to the buying public.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I agree with the "exotic" shaft comment but I won't make any suggestions because I do not know what contractual agreements MacGregor has with UST or what the shaft budget is for each particular club. Obviously the ATTAS would be a head turner in the store but it wouldn't be cheap even in a Made For scenario.

Some companies have recently done a very good job in concealing the fact that the stock shaft is a Made For version. I think this leads to more shelf appeal in the golf store. Exclusive brand paint schemes only works for Taylormade because of their TV exposure.

I think the black is definitely a good look, though I agree with Dave about the exotic shafts, too. On that point, I think companies would do well to avoid the "Company Paint Scheme" and leave the shaft as it is (as Adams tends to do). Even if it is a made for, it gives more of an appearance of authenticity. Not that I'm in favor of duping the consumer, but I say this more to make the point that a shaft that's painted white and green does not catch the eye of the customer strolling down the aisle as much as a "correctly" painted ______ (fill in the blank: Aldia, Diamana, etc).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Instead of being concerned about "Exotic" shafts, one should try and find the "right" shaft. I know we've been brainwashed to believe that if a shaft has a certain paint job with a certain name, it must be great. Truth of the matter is that if you stripped the paint off of shafts, 99% wouldn't be able to tell what an "Exotic" shaft even is. We might be able to tell the difference between a properly fitted shaft, but it's funny to think we could tell the difference between some russian grade prepeg mined on Neptune as opposed to normal grade prepeg.

With all that said, I love my Tour AD P9000X :)

• SPY VIP

Instead of being concerned about "Exotic" shafts, one should try and find the "right" shaft. I know we've been brainwashed to believe that if a shaft has a certain paint job with a certain name, it must be great. Truth of the matter is that if you stripped the paint off of shafts, 99% wouldn't be able to tell what an "Exotic" shaft even is. We might be able to tell the difference between a properly fitted shaft, but it's funny to think we could tell the difference between some russian grade prepeg mined on Neptune as opposed to normal grade prepeg.

With all that said, I love my Tour AD P9000X :)

My post was actually meant to say exactly what you are saying. Maybe the term exotic was misinterpreted.

Maybe "well known" would be a better term. Not because then the shafts are popular, but because then we have an idea if it would fit our swing characteristics.

Think about the Aldila NV shaft for example. Many golfers know how this shaft plays for them and that gives then insight into the purchase that they would not have with an unknown shaft model and brand.

I couldn't care about paint...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

A lot of the golfers I play with only use 1-2 different shafts in their drivers. They've discovered over time what works for them. Sure they check out the newer models etc. But a stock no brand shaft a lot of people will walk away since they know they'll have to spend extra to reshaft.

I'm not saying made for shaft has no place, but it has to be reflected in the pricepoint.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

• 4 weeks later...

Would mygolfspy be offended if I compared how ugly these are to the Cleveland VAS???? At least the fairways and hybrids and maybe in second place behind the VAS...

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Actually, I don't think they are ugly at all.......would be interested in seeing how they rate with the My Golf Spy review process......

I played MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield irons in the 80's & 90's......they were terrific!

Maybe Golfsmith can bring MacGregor back to the forefront of playable, but affordable irons.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 3 months later...

These heads were made for the European owner of the license - some guy from the UK. One of our business partners had plans to do MacGregor in Germany again, but they declined, after they had talked to the guy. They also hit the new designs a couple of weeks ago. The driver was so and so, hybrid and FW seemed to do okay. Over all - nothing to write home about was the comment we got. And that came from hardcore MacGregor fans.

Regards,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Would mygolfspy be offended if I compared how ugly these are to the Cleveland VAS???? At least the fairways and hybrids and maybe in second place behind the VAS...

I don't think these compare at all to the VAS, they were a totally different animal and purple!

Let me be the first to say, this is the most attractive product offering from you guys to date, I love it, the looks, the 3 wood alone makes me want to rush out and try them. Too bad your stores are so far from Virginia Beach.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived