TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maltby Tour grind MG wedges

nedpepper

Brand new to the forum, tried the search function but couldn't find what i was looking for, my apologies. I was hoping to get some information on the Malty tour grind wedges. Currently gaming cobra PUR wedges, i have absolutely loveeed these wedges, but alas, it's time to replace them and ever since i replaced my iron set ( titleist 710 cb) with the maltby te forged i have been extremely curious about their wedges. The irons are money. I freaking love my irons! So now i'm highly considering the wedges, specifically the tour grinds because they seem to be the closest in profile to my current wedges. Also considering the Kinetixx wedge shafts. The only reviews i can find on them seem to be on the golfworks website though. Can't find any videos on youtube etc about their wedge shafts, specifically. So if any of you good folks have gamed, are gaming these, i would love to hear what you have to say. TSW wedges would be my 2nd choice of their wedges. 

Nedpepper,

I'm with you on the Maltby TE forged irons.  They are sweet feeling.  The TSW wedge is nice also, although it doesn't feel quite the same as the TE iron.  TSW is made from 1025C carbon steel and the TE is made from1035 Carbon steel.  The TSW looks really good behind the ball.  Order yourself the TSW head and the shaft that you want and assemble it yourself.  That is what I did.  I don't think that you will be disappointed with the TSW.

I’m super happy with the Kinetixx wedge shaft. I have a Maltby M series 62 wide I bought it 2 years ago.  I tried talking it out of my bag but I ended up with higher scores. So it’s in my bag till I buy another.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

I carry the 50, 54 and 58 TSW wedges and love them. I have 3 requirements from my wedges...full and partial fairway shots, pitchs and chips from around the green and bunker shots. The TSW do all well. My course has poor bunkers...so that is my weakest shot. A little more bounce on my 54 would be nice. I also have a 56 and  go with it instead of the 54-58 combo if I need something at the other end of the bag. 

I highly recommend them

Well I'll have to give another big vote for the TE heads. I have the Nippon Pro 950 shafts in them, best irons I've had, and my last set were Mizuno MP57s and these TEs are so much nicer. Of course the shaft accounts for some of it.

I haven't tried any of their wedges yet, but one day I will.

3 minutes ago, Murv said:

I carry the 50, 54 and 58 TSW wedges and love them. I have 3 requirements from my wedges...full and partial fairway shots, pitchs and chips from around the green and bunker shots. The TSW do all well. My course has poor bunkers...so that is my weakest shot. A little more bounce on my 54 would be nice. I also have a 56 and  go with it instead of the 54-58 combo if I need something at the other end of the bag. 

I highly recommend them

How are they understand damp or wet conditions, would they match up to the Ping Glides.

I’ve hit these wedges.  They’re very good.  Maltby makes quality equipment.  Gamed multiple sets of irons over the years and now the wedges are catching up to irons.  The nice thing is you can put whatever shaft in you’d like and it’s not going to cost extra.  They sell at a nice price.  

Tobybtlr 

58 minutes ago, Kocher Clamp said:

I’m super happy with the Kinetixx wedge shaft. I have a Maltby M series 62 wide I bought it 2 years ago.  I tried talking it out of my bag but I ended up with higher scores. So it’s in my bag till I buy another.

How's the shaft feel compared to steel? 

28 minutes ago, Murv said:

I highly recommend them

I prefer a bladed profile and narrower sole normally.  Looking at pics they look super wide but i guess it's maybe the way the bounce is designed instead? I know they're wider than the tour grind but not massively right? 

1 hour ago, cwbart said:

Nedpepper,

I'm with you on the Maltby TE forged irons.  They are sweet feeling.  The TSW wedge is nice also, although it doesn't feel quite the same as the TE iron.  TSW is made from 1025C carbon steel and the TE is made from1035 Carbon steel.  The TSW looks really good behind the ball.  Order yourself the TSW head and the shaft that you want and assemble it yourself.  That is what I did.  I don't think that you will be disappointed with the TSW.

Are they softer or firmer feeling compared to the irons? 

Before you buy, you might try some Mizunos.  Any of their GFF wedges.  I am no expert, but I hit my Mizu 52 / 09 (it is either the S5 or S18) better than any other club I have ever owned.  I know a little bit about forging steel.  The GFF process is not matched by any other forge maker that I know of.  I don't hit a full bag because I got fitted for Ping I 500s in the short irons, but I also use an old Mizu 24 degree GFF Fli Hi.  I just think they know more about steel than the other brands.  (I have not updated my profile, my bagt changes all the time anyway except the Mizus.)   

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I prefer a bladed profile and narrower sole normally.  Looking at pics they look super wide but i guess it's maybe the way the bounce is designed instead? I know they're wider than the tour grind but not massively right? 
I wouldn't know the letter code for comparison but they have a v type sole. So with a square face the lead edge rides close to the turf but still get help from the bounce.
When you open the face more of the bounce is exposed but not as much as with a normal wedge grind. They play like a thinner sole. But not as thin as the tour. I have those also but they were not good out of bunkers at all.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

How are they understand damp or wet conditions, would they match up to the Ping Glides.
I have no knowledge on the Glides. The TSW do fine in all conditions...very versatile. If I had room in my bag I would carry one of those high bounce wide soled jobs for the sand we have to put up with though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Unfortunately I can't say anything for the Maltby tour grind wedges but I'm certain that they're top notch. Like others here though I game the TSW's and absolutely love everything about them.
While the sole does appear wider, it's not at all noticeable at addresses and has a very "blade-like" appearance. Turf interaction and bounce effectiveness is as good as anything!

I also played the DBM's for a couple of years and loved them. I moved to the TS-1's last year and couldn't be more pleased.

The great thing about Maltby is that you can order both and still be all in for half the price of an OEM

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

16 hours ago, tommc23 said:

They are similar I kicked the glides out for the TSW

Interesting that they kicked out the expensive Pings. At the moment I have Mizuno T7, but my GW is the TE. But I think my next ones will be the TSW.

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Unfortunately I can't say anything for the Maltby tour grind wedges but I'm certain that they're top notch. Like others here though I game the TSW's and absolutely love everything about them.
While the sole does appear wider, it's not at all noticeable at addresses and has a very "blade-like" appearance. Turf interaction and bounce effectiveness is as good as anything!

I also played the DBM's for a couple of years and loved them. I moved to the TS-1's last year and couldn't be more pleased.

The great thing about Maltby is that you can order both and still be all in for half the price of an OEM

So what aspects of the TS-1 do like over the DBM/TE heads, besides they are more expensive, ha-ha. They are nice looking, but they have more offset for each club whereas the TEs have a constant offset. I see the TS-1 use 1025C carbon steel and the TE uses 1035 carbon steel. I'm sure exactly how much difference that really makes or which one is softer feeling etc.

Like you said, beats the cost of OEM by a huge amount.

Would love to!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38325-show-us-your-maltby/

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So what aspects of the TS-1 do like over the DBM/TE heads, besides they are more expensive, ha-ha. They are nice looking, but they have more offset for each club whereas the TEs have a constant offset. I see the TS-1 use 1025C carbon steel and the TE uses 1035 carbon steel. I'm sure exactly how much difference that really makes or which one is softer feeling etc.

Like you said, beats the cost of OEM by a huge amount.
So as far as the offset, the DBM/TE have uniform offset of .10" throughout the set. The TS-1's have a progressive offset with the lowest being .09" and the highest at .120". to compare .120" to .10" is extremely negligible and really isn't noticeable with the naked eye. These visually have little to no offset.

As for the comparison of feeling and sound, these really are 2 very different clubs. The DBM/TE's are a solid piece of 1030 whereas the TS-1's are hollow 1025c with a polymer insert and tungsten toe weight. I'd say the TS-1's feel just as soft but with a more explosive kick off the face. IMO, a well-struck TS-1 just seems more rewarding. The top line is maybe a hair thinner on the DBM's but the sole is noticeably thinner and rounded on the TS-1.

I also like the overall shape of the blade on the TS-1's. They seem to be more uniform through the set. The DBM's from what I remember had an odd shaped PW and GW in comparison to the rest of the set.

I had my set built with True Temper DG 105 shafts. I believe that for 4-PW + 50° + 56° I paid around $700 shipped. Yes that is probably on the higher end of what you'd pay for any set of Maltbys but IMO I have the equivalent of a $2000 set. I just love everything about these.. and the TSW wedges round them out perfectly.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

10 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So as far as the offset, the DBM/TE have uniform offset of .10" throughout the set. The TS-1's have a progressive offset with the lowest being .09" and the highest at .120". to compare .120" to .10" is extremely negligible and really isn't noticeable with the naked eye. These visually have little to no offset.

As for the comparison of feeling and sound, these really are 2 very different clubs. The DBM/TE's are a solid piece of 1030 whereas the TS-1's are hollow 1025c with a polymer insert and tungsten toe weight. I'd say the TS-1's feel just as soft but with a more explosive kick off the face. IMO, a well-struck TS-1 just seems more rewarding. The top line is maybe a hair thinner on the DBM's but the sole is noticeably thinner and rounded on the TS-1.

I also like the overall shape of the blade on the TS-1's. They seem to be more uniform through the set. The DBM's from what I remember had an odd shaped PW and GW in comparison to the rest of the set.

I had my set built with True Temper DG 105 shafts. I believe that for 4-PW + 50° + 56° I paid around $700 shipped. Yes that is probably on the higher end of what you'd pay for any set of Maltbys but IMO I have the equivalent of a $2000 set. I just love everything about these.. and the TSW wedges round them out perfectly.

Thanks for your take on the differences between the two. Maybe some day I'll buy a couple heads to try out. Yes the offsets aren't really that much for either of them, so to the naked blind eye you'd never see it and I can't imagine that that little of an offset makes much difference in squaring up the face, but you never know I guess.

I have Nippon NS 950GH shafts(with Pure DTX mids grips) in mine and they work for me(okay, well most of the time, ha-ha)

Thanks for your take on the differences between the two. Maybe some day I'll buy a couple heads to try out. Yes the offsets aren't really that much for either of them, so to the naked blind eye you'd never see it and I can't imagine that that little of an offset makes much difference in squaring up the face, but you never know I guess.
I have Nippon NS 950GH shafts(with Pure DTX mids grips) in mine and they work for me(okay, well most of the time, ha-ha)
I had those same shafts in my DBMs and they were a great pairing. I liked them so much that I had an identical set made for my dad and he loves them too. We golf together often and every now and again for nostalgia sake I take some swipes with his clubs to remember why they are such a great club but am also reminded why I like the TS-1's that much more. Now I have him considering a set of TS-1's or 2's. We'll see

The DG 105s are just a little heavier and with a slightly lower flight they work perfectly with the TS-1's.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

"to remember why they are such a great club but am also reminded why I like the TS-1's that much more. Now I have him considering a set of TS-1's or 2's. We'll see."

Well that sentence sort of sums it up doesn't it, ha-ha. Great, now you'll have me thinking about if the TS-1's could be in my future. But the TS-1 is a 2 piece forged with some polymer in the middle isn't it, where as the TE is a true one piece. Well if your dad likes them better and also plays better with them let me know. Are you going to put the same 950 shafts in his new ones too.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:42 PM, nedpepper said:

Are they softer or firmer feeling compared to the irons? 

To me they felt just a shade firmer.  But I did have a different shaft in it than in my TE's, so that may be a small part of the difference in feel also. They don't feel bad, just a little different to me.   Your results may vary.  I would not hesitate to recommend them.