Maltby Tour grind MG wedges

nedpepper

7 hours ago, tommc23 said:

We have a thread of Maltby stuff where you can look at pictures of them if you would like.

Would love to!

Would love to!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38325-show-us-your-maltby/

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 7°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'li x5ct XS  
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) 
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #4 / Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star 
:taylormade-small: TP5x

(MGS Test Member for the :edel-golf-1:EAS Putter)

So what aspects of the TS-1 do like over the DBM/TE heads, besides they are more expensive, ha-ha. They are nice looking, but they have more offset for each club whereas the TEs have a constant offset. I see the TS-1 use 1025C carbon steel and the TE uses 1035 carbon steel. I'm sure exactly how much difference that really makes or which one is softer feeling etc.

Like you said, beats the cost of OEM by a huge amount.
So as far as the offset, the DBM/TE have uniform offset of .10" throughout the set. The TS-1's have a progressive offset with the lowest being .09" and the highest at .120". to compare .120" to .10" is extremely negligible and really isn't noticeable with the naked eye. These visually have little to no offset.

As for the comparison of feeling and sound, these really are 2 very different clubs. The DBM/TE's are a solid piece of 1030 whereas the TS-1's are hollow 1025c with a polymer insert and tungsten toe weight. I'd say the TS-1's feel just as soft but with a more explosive kick off the face. IMO, a well-struck TS-1 just seems more rewarding. The top line is maybe a hair thinner on the DBM's but the sole is noticeably thinner and rounded on the TS-1.

I also like the overall shape of the blade on the TS-1's. They seem to be more uniform through the set. The DBM's from what I remember had an odd shaped PW and GW in comparison to the rest of the set.

I had my set built with True Temper DG 105 shafts. I believe that for 4-PW + 50° + 56° I paid around $700 shipped. Yes that is probably on the higher end of what you'd pay for any set of Maltbys but IMO I have the equivalent of a $2000 set. I just love everything about these.. and the TSW wedges round them out perfectly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So as far as the offset, the DBM/TE have uniform offset of .10" throughout the set. The TS-1's have a progressive offset with the lowest being .09" and the highest at .120". to compare .120" to .10" is extremely negligible and really isn't noticeable with the naked eye. These visually have little to no offset.

As for the comparison of feeling and sound, these really are 2 very different clubs. The DBM/TE's are a solid piece of 1030 whereas the TS-1's are hollow 1025c with a polymer insert and tungsten toe weight. I'd say the TS-1's feel just as soft but with a more explosive kick off the face. IMO, a well-struck TS-1 just seems more rewarding. The top line is maybe a hair thinner on the DBM's but the sole is noticeably thinner and rounded on the TS-1.

I also like the overall shape of the blade on the TS-1's. They seem to be more uniform through the set. The DBM's from what I remember had an odd shaped PW and GW in comparison to the rest of the set.

I had my set built with True Temper DG 105 shafts. I believe that for 4-PW + 50° + 56° I paid around $700 shipped. Yes that is probably on the higher end of what you'd pay for any set of Maltbys but IMO I have the equivalent of a $2000 set. I just love everything about these.. and the TSW wedges round them out perfectly.

Thanks for your take on the differences between the two. Maybe some day I'll buy a couple heads to try out. Yes the offsets aren't really that much for either of them, so to the naked blind eye you'd never see it and I can't imagine that that little of an offset makes much difference in squaring up the face, but you never know I guess.

I have Nippon NS 950GH shafts(with Pure DTX mids grips) in mine and they work for me(okay, well most of the time, ha-ha)

Thanks for your take on the differences between the two. Maybe some day I'll buy a couple heads to try out. Yes the offsets aren't really that much for either of them, so to the naked blind eye you'd never see it and I can't imagine that that little of an offset makes much difference in squaring up the face, but you never know I guess.
I have Nippon NS 950GH shafts(with Pure DTX mids grips) in mine and they work for me(okay, well most of the time, ha-ha)
I had those same shafts in my DBMs and they were a great pairing. I liked them so much that I had an identical set made for my dad and he loves them too. We golf together often and every now and again for nostalgia sake I take some swipes with his clubs to remember why they are such a great club but am also reminded why I like the TS-1's that much more. Now I have him considering a set of TS-1's or 2's. We'll see

The DG 105s are just a little heavier and with a slightly lower flight they work perfectly with the TS-1's.

"to remember why they are such a great club but am also reminded why I like the TS-1's that much more. Now I have him considering a set of TS-1's or 2's. We'll see."

Well that sentence sort of sums it up doesn't it, ha-ha. Great, now you'll have me thinking about if the TS-1's could be in my future. But the TS-1 is a 2 piece forged with some polymer in the middle isn't it, where as the TE is a true one piece. Well if your dad likes them better and also plays better with them let me know. Are you going to put the same 950 shafts in his new ones too.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:42 PM, nedpepper said:

Are they softer or firmer feeling compared to the irons? 

To me they felt just a shade firmer.  But I did have a different shaft in it than in my TE's, so that may be a small part of the difference in feel also. They don't feel bad, just a little different to me.   Your results may vary.  I would not hesitate to recommend them.