TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Travel Bag - T+L Article Review

Tarheelvolvo

travel golf bags

Travel + Leisure sure put out an article recently listing the best travel bags for your clubs. Have any of you guys tried these? Do you like soft or hard sided bags?

I have an only soft sided bag that's full of random clubs I probably need to get rid of, so I'm no use for this topic, haha!

See the full list here

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

Do you like soft or hard sided bags?

I use a Club Glove bag, not listed in the article.  They're pricey, but I got it using credit from tournament winnings, so it wasn't so bad.  Its at least 10 years old now, flying once or twice a year most years, and has no visible damage, so I'm pretty happy.

I prefer a soft case for a couple of reasons.  First, once you get your clubs out they can fold, hard cases take up a lot of room whether your clubs are in them or not.  If you've been to a B&B in the UK, you may understand how limited space can be, and the hire cars are even tighter.  Soft cases tend to fit into rental cars a bit easier.  Last, if the hinges on a hard case get damaged, it can be basically impossible to close securely.  I don't know how often that happens, but I've seen golfers who needed to buy a new bag for their return flight.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Certain airlines will only let you file a claim if they damage your clubs or travel case if you use a hard case. If you don't you have to sign a waiver at check in. So several years ago I switched to a hard case since I do travel several times a year with clubs. I picked up a good  SKB hard case. 

On my third trip the airlines ripped one of the wheels off it (and they were recessed). Filed a claim and sent me a check for the full value. I made an axle at work and ordered a replacement wheel  and fixed it. Next season first trip the airlines ripped one of the closure buckles off or it. This style case only had two and were also recessed. Filed a claim and they sent me a check for the full value again. Ordered a replacement buckle and I riveted it on. So totally disgusted I spoke with one of the airlines baggage complaint people. They said that the hard cased can't always make the turns on the baggage conveyors and get hung up.

So now having plenty of the airlines money in my pocket I went on a detailed search for the best of the best.  I read all the reviews, talked to frequent golf travelers, did the touchy feely on everything and it came down to the  Club Glove in Large Pro size.  Two years no issues. 

I found a overstock golf supply liquidation company someplace in Canada  that was selling the Club Glove with TaylorMade stitched on the sides for 50% off on e-bay. 

Win win.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

6 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Certain airlines will only let you file a claim if they damage your clubs or travel case if you use a hard case.

I've read this before, but never seen it when I fly.  Most of my trps are on United, being right next to Dulles airport.  Their policy does say that about hard cases, but I've never signed a waiver.  On the other hand, I've never had damage to the Club Glove.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I've read this before, but never seen it when I fly.  Most of my trps are on United, being right next to Dulles airport.  Their policy does say that about hard cases, but I've never signed a waiver.  On the other hand, I've never had damage to the Club Glove.  

Delta makes you sign a waiver if you don't have a hard case. I think I'm on year three with the Club Glove with no damage. 

I always use a stiff arm and take the driver head off the shaft.

Been using the same Club Glove for a decade, flying to Hawaii, around the 48, and a couple trips to Scotland. Love it. I like being able to lock it, and stuff other items in the bag. It’s always the weight that gets me in trouble at the airport - I tend to put too much in there. Maybe the best thing is I can fold it in half - either storing in the trunk, or garage.  After ten years I’ve got a spot where the constant wear/friction has worn a small hole - but it’s been years. Tough to complain about it. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

10 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Been using the same Club Glove for a decade, flying to Hawaii, around the 48, and a couple trips to Scotland. Love it. I like being able to lock it, and stuff other items in the bag. It’s always the weight that gets me in trouble at the airport - I tend to put too much in there. Maybe the best thing is I can fold it in half - either storing in the trunk, or garage.  After ten years I’ve got a spot where the constant wear/friction has worn a small hole - but it’s been years. Tough to complain about it. 

Same here.  I've used my Club Glove for probably close to 20 years, and I have a small hole worn in it.  Nothing that would cause a problem.  I flew Delta almost exclusively (lifetime Gold Medallion) and never had an issue.  Yes, I sign the waivers.  At this point if something happens to the bag... who cares!  If something happens to my clubs... well, time to go shopping!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I have never seen one either or been asked to sign one. 
I traveled with a ClubGlove for about 8 years and the ClubGlider the past 6 or 7 years.  The two best in my mind. 

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Delta makes you sign a waiver if you don't have a hard case. I think I'm on year three with the Club Glove with no damage. 

I always use a stiff arm and take the driver head off the shaft.

Im fly Delta on several trips a year, almost all with my clubs...except for a few ShipSticks shipments.  I’ve never had to sign one or had any issues with my sift bags.  You couldn’t pay me to travel with a hardcase after making the switch almost 20 years ago. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I’ve had a Club Glove, now traveling with a Caddy Daddy. Both good, IMO. CG probably higher quality, but also much higher price. I’m a Delta flyer, & I sign their stupid waiver. I always wonder if they make the tour pros sign it as well? I have never seen one travel with a hard sided case. Almost 100% Club Glove.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

11 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I have never seen one either or been asked to sign one. 
I traveled with a ClubGlove for about 8 years and the ClubGlider the past 6 or 7 years.  The two best in my mind. 

Im fly Delta on several trips a year, almost all with my clubs...except for a few ShipSticks shipments.  I’ve never had to sign one or had any issues with my sift bags.  You couldn’t pay me to travel with a hardcase after making the switch almost 20 years ago. 

I almost always have to sign a waiver. Maybe its airport specific? I agree, a hard case is a nightmare to travel with. You need a large SUV or a Minivan once you arrive. Last time Iused it they gave me a Challenger. Luckily my hard case is the type that the top half can fit in bottom half once empty. Had to unpack in the lot. Put the clubs in the trunk and the case in the back seat.

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I almost always have to sign a waiver. Maybe its airport specific? I agree, a hard case is a nightmare to travel with. You need a large SUV or a Minivan once you arrive. Last time Iused it they gave me a Challenger. Luckily my hard case is the type that the top half can fit in bottom half once empty. Had to unpack in the lot. Put the clubs in the trunk and the case in the back seat.

Yeah, could be airort specific, I fly out of BWI exclusively,  mostly to Orlando, San Diego, Pheonix and other one offs.  All this said, I'll probablyy have to signn one next time..ha  But that's fine, with the advent of  removable driver heats and the qualty of the Sun Mountan CG, I don't worry at all. 

Even wth it one time I ended up with a VW Passat I think, and it and my duffle wouildn't fit in the trunk, so one had to go in the back seat  I crossed that off of my list of cars to ever consider buying,. HA

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I bough that model after a few recommendation from friends that were travelling often on trip. It's pretty much what other user said. Hard cases are more secure for your club but tend to get damaged wheel more often on conveyor belt, don't store well in hotel room or trunk of rental car, especially if you travel in foursome.

Hard bottom, more like a padded soft shell on the outside, driver is a little tight up there with my ping traverse bag so you need to buy an "umbrella"(stiff arm) to protect the club.

Can't travel to the US to try it yet because of travel restrictions in Canada but hoping to go in November to lose some ball in Arizona or Nevada.

Those Club glove seems even better than mine but come at a high price tag compared to my 169$ at full price. I paid 150 Canadian $  in special which is 119$. if It last 10 trip I'm gonna be happy.

image.png.88afbbc2cacd6beceeb6ec94dffdccf2.png

In my situation, I am looking for a case to be shipped by courier such as DHL or FedEx.  I snowbird between Canada and Florida.  As I don't plan on taking it through the airport, I'm thinking a hard case and this one from SKB looks good to me.

https://www.criticalgolf.com/reviews/golf-travel-bags/skb-deluxe-travel-case-review/

I used the ShipSticks service and a ShipSticks cardboard box this time and it has been a disaster!  The box and 1 suitcase with all of our clothes was picked up in Florida, correctly labelled and packed, on April 13, 2021.  The 2 items have sat in a DHL warehouse ever since until today, April 28, 15 days later, the clubs arrived.  The box was badly worn but still intact.  The suitcase continues to sit in Cincinnati!  If it had been for a golf vacation, the vacation would be over by now.

So, for my needs, I think a hard case and max protection is what I need, because bad things happen.  Does anyone have experience with the SKG cases?

We have been using Caddy Daddy for at least 10 years.  Prior to that we used full hard side cases but found them difficult to maneuver and very hard to fit in many rental cars.  The Caddy Daddy has done a good job of keeping our clubs in fine shape with one exception.  On a trip to Hawaii, the TSA had removed the hard top of the case, inspected them, put their card in the case, and then neglected to reconnect the front two Velcro straps securing the hard top.  It was only secured loosely by the back straps and in essence was hinged.  The result was when the case was loaded with other baggage after the TSA inspection, the front of the hard top sheared the shaft on my driver at the head.  It took a year, but TSA did pay for the replacement. 

For the past couple of years, I have found I can put my irons with their heads down in the Caddy Daddy partitions, while I put the woods and driver heads up.  This totally reduces the chance an iron can be smashed into the shaft of the woods or driver.

• 2 weeks later...

I chanced it and went with the Amazon Basics travel bag 

1866283757_GolfBag.PNG.18395960da055a5a9c091e6a56492a47.PNG

I knew I would be upgraded clubs soon after so I chanced it with a cheaper option. I was impressed with the padding and quality of the material. Very durable. I do add a Club Protector pole when I use it, take off my Driver and 3 wood heads and put shafts tip down. I also wrap a towel or 2 around my iron club heads to minimize any movement. I stuff the bag pretty full with jackets or sweaters and throw my shoes in the bottom.

The only issue is the buckle straps don't stay tight, they loosen up while traveling. Overall a good budget option. I'll try to do a more complete review when I get a chance.

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

• 6 months later...

I have an old no wheel Club Glove that I bought on EBay.  I fly about 20 times a year.  I had a small hole rub through the bottom where the kick out for the bag legs rub through but sewed on a patch and no problems for the last 2 years.  I use a Stiff Arm.   No problems.   As others have mentioned a hard bag might not fix in a small rental car.  

• 11 months later...
On 5/14/2021 at 8:46 PM, TBS said:

I chanced it and went with the Amazon Basics travel bag 

1866283757_GolfBag.PNG.18395960da055a5a9c091e6a56492a47.PNG

I knew I would be upgraded clubs soon after so I chanced it with a cheaper option. I was impressed with the padding and quality of the material. Very durable. I do add a Club Protector pole when I use it, take off my Driver and 3 wood heads and put shafts tip down. I also wrap a towel or 2 around my iron club heads to minimize any movement. I stuff the bag pretty full with jackets or sweaters and throw my shoes in the bottom.

The only issue is the buckle straps don't stay tight, they loosen up while traveling. Overall a good budget option. I'll try to do a more complete review when I get a chance.

SEO Executive