Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

e12 Contact vs e12 Soft

LeftyHawk

Finally had a chance to give the e12 Contact a real test. Played 9 holes going head to head with the e12 Soft. I've been a Bridgestone guy since the B330 days and was finally happy when I found the e12 soft, the ball fit me perfectly (I prefer the surlyn cover over the Urethane). Anyhow, on the 7 holes where I used my driver, the e12 soft, without exception, out drove the e12 Contact by at least 10 yards. On the 7th hole the Contact went 240 and the Soft 255.

I'm truly sadden that the e12 Soft is no longer available. I really had high hopes for the Contact but with todays test that has diminished.  Of course this is only one 9 hole round. I plan to give it another go next week now that the weather here in Michigan has finally warmed up. But based on the first 9 holes I don't see the Contact beating the Soft.

On the plus side, the driver is the only club that the Soft out distanced the Contact. On mid and short irons they were equal. But further testing is needed.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Chris

Edited by LeftyHawk

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

Thanks for the write up. i was tempted to try a non tour ball to play to help with my miss. might just try a lower spinning ball instead. I too was hopeful for the contact after seeing their adds. Hopefully it was just a bad batch and the next ones are better 🙂 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

3 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks for the write up. i was tempted to try a non tour ball to play to help with my miss. might just try a lower spinning ball instead. I too was hopeful for the contact after seeing their adds. Hopefully it was just a bad batch and the next ones are better 🙂 

Try to tour b rx. Real straight. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX 9* Driver

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:touredgeexotics: CBX 119 16* 2 hyb

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Tuttle / :edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

28 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Straighter than left dash?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

9 hours ago, BMart519 said:

I play tour b rx .. it’s not long but def straight 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

A couple of months ago, Bridgestone sent me a 2-ball sample of e12 Contact to try it.  I too found it to be 10-15 yards shorter with my driver.  However, it went straight.  So straight that it was very difficult for me to shape it around trouble.  My low hook with 5 iron barely drew 10 degrees and my high slice with 7 iron barely faded 10 degrees.  I had much better results with e12 Soft (and e6 Soft).

What's everyone's favorite ball for distance off the tee?

I've done plenty (about 45 holes worth) of testing with Pro V1 2020 and 2021 balls against multiple balls in the 20 to 30 dollar price range (noodles, Callaway, Srixon, taylormade, ect.) and the Prov's are almost exclusively 10 to 20 yards further. Again, this is not competitors in price, it's in that 20 to 30 dollar range, so it should be expected. Between 2020 and 2021 Prov's and Pro V X's, the distance difference was a wash but ball flight was higher with the Pro V X's and ball spin on the green was noticeably more. 

What Would Phil Do?

I'm keeping my eye on this thread.

If I wake up with a new body and decide to play again, this information will be doubtlessly valuable.

What I liked about Pro V1x balls certainly wasn't the price.

I liked that I could order them all with ball # 79 imprinted on them.

It helped me keep my eyes on the prize.

As for performance, every major brand name ball was good enough for my game.

I used to hate wound balls when they were around, but since then, most anything was ok for me.

I was never a scratch player, however.  It could well be different for them.

That was my experience with the E12 Contact as well. Pretty short AND didn't stop very well  around the green. The Callaway SuperSoft is longer and straighter for me. I've mostly been playing the AVX as it is pretty straight yet has some stopping power on chips (the 2020 model is better than the 2018). On days where I just can't find the fairway I go back to the SuperSoft and find it at least as long as the AVX but straighter off the tee.  The SuperSoft stops fine for me on full shots but does run out more than I would like and short chips and pitches. 

FYI, my swing speed is around 90mph and a good drive is 230-245.

My 2 cents. 

Richard

36 minutes ago, Fjd said:

Surprised to hear the “soft” ball went farther then the other, considering the MGS ball test which found soft balls were slow balls.

I think some manufacturers are using the word "soft" as a selling tool. I don't put a lot of stock in advertising. I've been playing Bridgestone since the B-330 days. I was really surprised that the Contact was shorter off the tee, I really expected it to be longer than the e12 Soft.

I still plan to do some more comparisons over then next month to confirm/deny the results fir myself. 

Chris

Far and Sure......

I played an e12 Soft on the back nine today, shooting a 1 over 37. Not too shabby for a found ball. It felt like a marshmallow off the Driver, but stopped dead on the green or just in front of the green.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 4/23/2021 at 9:04 PM, rbsiedsc said:

Straighter than left dash?

Never played it. But in general I feel I hit any bridgestone straighter than a titleist. 

On 4/24/2021 at 6:16 AM, Nolan220 said:

I play tour b rx .. it’s not long but def straight 

In my last round I hit 3w 270 downwind and 250 into the wind with an rx. Unless you are swinging 110+ you aren’t losing too much distance. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX 9* Driver

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:touredgeexotics: CBX 119 16* 2 hyb

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Tuttle / :edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 4/24/2021 at 8:03 AM, LeftyHawk said:

Finally had a chance to give the e12 Contact a real test. Played 9 holes going head to head with the e12 Soft. I've been a Bridgestone guy since the B330 days and was finally happy when I found the e12 soft, the ball fit me perfectly (I prefer the surlyn cover over the Urethane). Anyhow, on the 7 holes where I used my driver, the e12 soft, without exception, out drove the e12 Contact by at least 10 yards. On the 7th hole the Contact went 240 and the Soft 255.

I'm truly sadden that the e12 Soft is no longer available. I really had high hopes for the Contact but with todays test that has diminished.  Of course this is only one 9 hole round. I plan to give it another go next week now that the weather here in Michigan has finally warmed up. But based on the first 9 holes I don't see the Contact beating the Soft.

On the plus side, the driver is the only club that the Soft out distanced the Contact. On mid and short irons they were equal. But further testing is needed.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Chris

Thats interesting. I found that I hit it just as far (Or further) and straighter. Would you describe yourself as a high spin player? What was the launch like compared to e12 soft?

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

On 4/27/2021 at 5:42 AM, BADFanBoi Scotty said:

Thats interesting. I found that I hit it just as far (Or further) and straighter. Would you describe yourself as a high spin player? What was the launch like compared to e12 soft?

Played 4 more rounds comparing the e12 Soft v e12 Contact.  (2) 9 hole rounds and (2) 18 hole rounds.  The (2) 9 hole rounds were bymyself and the results were comparable to my earlier tests with the Soft out distancing the Contact and noticeably straighter.  The (2) 18 he rounds were with 3 golf buddies.  After explaining to them what I was doing they didn't mind me playing 2 balls. For me, the results didn't change,  Soft longer off the tee, irons comparable.  My buddies observed the same and were perplexed as I as to why the Soft out distanced the Contact and on almost every drive the Contact would slice off to the left while the Soft flew straight.  John figured that because of the dimple pattern on the Contact I was getting much more spin off the driver, but, he said, that's only his opinion. 

So my conclusion,  for me anyhow,  is the e12 Soft is the ball for me and the Contact will be removed from the bag.

These results are by no means scientific,  rather my own opinion on what works for me.

Now to hit all the pro shops and loading up on e12 Soft for the foreseeable future. 

Chris

Far and Sure......

On 4/30/2021 at 6:23 PM, LeftyHawk said:

Now to hit all the pro shops and loading up on e12 Soft for the foreseeable future. 

I feel your frustration.  Seems like anyone who doesn't feel the need, or want to pay  $50 a dozen for Pro V1, Srixon Z-Star, or the TP-5, has to keep finding a different ball.  If I was the cynical type I would almost say it was intentional, to wear me down, to the point I buy the expensive balls.  

Glad I saw this!  Just sent my wife a request to go to our local Walmart and buy the 5 dozen matte green ones it says are in stock!

Edited by stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

7 hours ago, stuka44 said:

Just sent my wife a request to go to our local Walmart and buy the 5 dozen matte green ones it says are in stock!

Lucky you,  I went back to my local course last Friday because when I was there Thursday he had 6 dozen.  I waited too long, someone was there early Friday morning and cleaned him out of the e12 Soft.

I currently have 10 dozen,  but always looking for more.

Chris

Far and Sure......

18 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

I currently have 10 dozen,  but always looking for more.

I'm at 6 supposed to be more at another Walmart.

The other Walmart had 5....Now at 11.  Amen!

Edited by stuka44
add

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Curious.  What's your driver swing speed?  I was playing the e12 speed last year and was interested to play the Contact.  Now I'm a little hesitant.

Chiller Cart Bag

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 9° - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim Max Rocket 3wd 14° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Rescue 4H 22° - Ventus Blue 7S

:cobra-small: King Forged Tec 2020 - 5 thru PW - Dynamic Gold S400

:cleveland-small: CBX 2 54° Wedge

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole 3 Sand Wedge 58°

Bat Attack Battle Ready Putter 34"

:Arccos: Tracking

On 5/6/2021 at 2:23 PM, Keeper905 said:

Curious.  What's your driver swing speed?  I was playing the e12 speed last year and was interested to play the Contact.  Now I'm a little hesitant.

My SS runs about 90, in the mid to late summer it can bump upto about 95.

Chris

Far and Sure......

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, DGMS said:

I thought that I was the only one. e12 soft is a much better ball. Longer and just as much stopping power. Disappointed in the Contact. 

I tried the e12 Soft for the first time this past week, played it vs the DUO Soft and I was really impressed. I had a 7i from 157 out stop within a foot of it's pitch mark, and it felt really nice when putting. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 1 year later...

I was searching to see the difference between the E12 contact and soft,  and was disappointed to see that many found the E12 contact shorter off the tee.  I hate to say that I  had used the E12 soft but found it shorter with the driver when compared to the TM Soft Response, which I now use for less critical rounds...