TESTERS WANTED! ×

Albatross? Longest hole-in-one or hole out (approach)? On legit course.

Middler

1) So have you had an albatross on a legit regulation course (gender/age appropriate tees)?

2) And what is the longest hole out you’ve ever had, whether a hole in one or an approach?

I’ve never had an albatross but it’s my ultimate dream shot. I’ve been within 4-6 feet in 2 on par 5’s three times in the past year, but never much closer - e.g. I’ve never had a “gimmie” eagle in my life, most of my eagles have been 4 foot putts or longer. I’ve eagled one par 3 and one par 4 (only about 45 yards out on second shot), so most of my eagles have been on par 5’s like everyone.

My longest hole out was my only hole-in-one, 132 yards. I am sure many others here have more and longer.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

My longest hole out was on a dogleg right par 4.  I had 185 in to a raised green. Hit a good 5 iron and tracking dead center of the green. Got up to the green and no ball. Thought it might have went over but still couldn't locate. Just when I was ready to drop one of our group looked in the cup and there it was. Eagle on a par 4 from 185 out.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

My longest, in 10 yrs... wait for it... 103 yds.  🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️  🤣🤣🤪🤣🤪

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

My albatross was from 172 yards out with a 9 iron.
My ace was from 179 yards out with a knockdown 7 iron.
I’ve also holed out for eagle with a 5 iron from 220

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I have had three albatrosses, but am waiting for my first ace.

The first two were on the same hole (Neumann Red 6, 460 yds, Cincinnati), a double dogleg where a very precise drive can cut both doglegs, or a very high drive of at least 270 can cut both corners. The first one was with a 4 iron from about 215 (20+ years ago, I don't remember the yardage accurately), the second was with a gap wege from 115. The last was at Indian Ridge (Oxford, OH) #9, 520 yards, playing strongly downwind. I holed a 5 wood from 215ish. I did not see it go in (uphill to the green), but a guy on a mower started yelling. I would give up all three for an ace.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

9 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

I have had three albatrosses, but am waiting for my first ace.

The first two were on the same hole (Neumann Red 6, 460 yds, Cincinnati), a double dogleg where a very precise drive can cut both doglegs, or a very high drive of at least 270 can cut both corners. The first one was with a 4 iron from about 215 (20+ years ago, I don't remember the yardage accurately), the second was with a gap wege from 115. The last was at Indian Ridge (Oxford, OH) #9, 520 yards, playing strongly downwind. I holed a 5 wood from 215ish. I did not see it go in (uphill to the green), but a guy on a mower started yelling. I would give up all three for an ace.

That is surprising, no ace with your impressive hole out experiences. A buddy of mine, who is 76, and shoots below his age regularly has never had an ace - while the rest of us slugs have all had one. He told me every time he tees up on a par 3 he thinks to himself ‘maybe this time.’ Another way golf isn’t “fair.”

FWIW, I’ve had one ace, and I’d be more impressed with an albatross...

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

23 hours ago, Middler said:

TFWIW, I’ve had one ace, and I’d be more impressed with an albatross...

I'm very happy with and proud of my three, but nobody makes a plaque to put on your wall for anything but an ace. Unless, of course, it's Augusta crystal, but I don't think I'll be playing the Masters next year.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I'm guessing my longest hole out would be my first hole in one. It was about 165. No albatross yet for me, but hopefully some day. They are few and far between, so I'd love one. I've had other hole outs, but I think they were all within a hundred yards or so.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Hole in one - 165 yard bladed 7 iron, never got more than 5 feet off the ground

Didn't see it go in the the hole, turned around in disgust and heard a clank.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

I made a hole in one on a 315 yard downhill par 4 when I was 17 years old, bad part is I never saw it go in...the hole had a big dog leg left around a stand of trees and you could either play to the middle of the fairway with a long iron or try to carry the trees.

The risk was water all down the right and thick rough on the left. I hit a big drive over the trees and when we got around there we couldn’t find my ball...I knew it should have been in the fairway based on where it went over the trees but I thought maybe I got a bad bounce and went in the creek. I had turned around and was walking back up the hill with my driver when my step brother started yelling “it’s in the hole....it’s in the hole!”

it had been really dry that summer and the fairways were as hard as concrete so balls were bouncing and rolling a long way!

that was my first ever hole in one....I’ve had 3, but none in over 25 years.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

12 hours ago, MadMex said:

Hole in one - 165 yard bladed 7 iron, never got more than 5 feet off the ground

Didn't see it go in the the hole, turned around in disgust and heard a clank.

Gotta love golf! 🤣

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1. No

2. Maybe 40 yards.  Back greenside bunker to a front pin...

I've had plenty of shots out to 230+ yards land or end up within inches of the hole numerous times, but none fall.  I've been playing for 8 years and am a 10 that can shoot 38 on a nine one day and 47 the next.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2