TESTERS WANTED! ×

Low spin ball for straight shots

Anyone subscribe to this? Wondering if that could help my dispersion. Thinking left dash or others, although everything else seems very soft for my swing. Suggestions?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I get confused on this topic. I hear people say too low spin off the tee and it can be harder to keep in play. And then i hear from others that lower spin will help reduce the curve. Don’t know what the right answer is

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

Anyone subscribe to this? Wondering if that could help my dispersion. Thinking left dash or others, although everything else seems very soft for my swing. Suggestions?

First off, greetings from Beaverton Michigan. As for dispersion, I would look at your club path, better alignment seems to me would help more than relying on ball spin. Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

47 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I get confused on this topic. I hear people say too low spin off the tee and it can be harder to keep in play. And then i hear from others that lower spin will help reduce the curve. Don’t know what the right answer is

All I know my best nine was with a qstar tour ball which is supposedly low spin. 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

Sure lower spin can go straighter; that is part of the theory of 2 piece balls.  But too low of a spin will cause the ball to knuckle uncontrollably; I don't know why, but it does.  Spin is a balance.  You need spin to keep the ball in the air - too much and the ball balloons and you lose distance;  too little and the ball doesn't go anywhere.    When a ball curves, the spin axis is tilted and the spin axis is tilted because of how you deliver the club.    

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-axis/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Sure lower spin can go straighter; that is part of the theory of 2 piece balls.  But too low of a spin will cause the ball to knuckle uncontrollably; I don't know why, but it does.  Spin is a balance.  You need spin to keep the ball in the air - too much and the ball balloons and you lose distance;  too little and the ball doesn't go anywhere.    When a ball curves, the spin axis is tilted and the spin axis is tilted because of how you deliver the club.    

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-axis/

Not enough lift from a too low spin shot to keep the ball in the air.

The titleist video with a ball that has one side with no dimples and one with is a good example

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

All I know my best nine was with a qstar tour ball which is supposedly low spin. 

It’s a low compression ball. The compression of the ball along with the dimple pattern and the spin skin are designed to reduce the spin and keep the ball closer in play.

It’s typically a good ball for a golfer who who have a ball that a big fade or draw. 

A couple friends of mine and my brother switched from a tour level ball to this and at times the original chromesoft and saw less movement right to left on their ball.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s a low compression ball. The compression of the ball along with the dimple pattern and the spin skin are designed to reduce the spin and keep the ball closer in play.

It’s typically a good ball for a golfer who who have a ball that a big fade or draw. 

A couple friends of mine and my brother switched from a tour level ball to this and at times the original chromesoft and saw less movement right to left on their ball.

Thanks. That makes sense. I’d love to use them but the ball lab has me hesitant 

My Reviews:

3 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks. That makes sense. I’d love to use them but the ball lab has me hesitant 

They are a good ball and the only thing that matters is if it works for you or not.

Left Dash feels hard, runs out a little more on the greens than I want it to, but is long and durable. A couple you should try for straighter tee shots are the OnCore Vero X1 and the Titleist Tour Speed. The X1 is supposed to be less sensitive to sidespin errors due to perimeter weighting. The Tour Speed is the current version of the prototype that was out a couple of seasons ago and that ball was designed to reduce curvature on tee shots while still providing a urethane cover.

G 410 Plus

Original One

G Hybrid 19 & 22

Rogue Pro Black 5-AW

Glide 2.0 56 WS

Hi-Toe 60

Edel EAS 1.0

17 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Yes, I do.  For early season, when my swing is not exactly grooved, I usually use Taylormade TP5x or Snell MTB-Black for lower spin but higher trajectory (to compensate for lower spin on approaches).  Once my swing feels better and more consistent, then I switch to Snell MTB-X for better spin on approaches to firmer summer greens.

All great advice but fitting a golf ball to give you the lowest score possible is not a simple problem, thus you can't apply best practice solutions.

It is a complicated problem - this means that all the rules are known, but as the forum responses state, it is not simple - 

Here is an example and my recommendation:

If you put a lower spin ball in play you may lose too much spin on your driver and while the ball will go straight, it will fall out of the sky too soon and not go far - this will result in you either swinging up more on the ball, or swinging harder, resulting in the ball going more off line. This may not happen if your driver has significant loft.

My recommendation - just try a bunch of balls and see which ones give you the desired results.

Low spin is really only known on chips and pitches - after that you will notice that different people see different results. For example, if you compress a 2 piece soft ball a lot, it will spin a lot - Yet one more variable to consider - very likely the Q-Star tour is a nice compromise of not too much spin because of its softness for 90-100 mph driver swingers. If you swing at 115 mph, that ball will be unpredictable, as it becomes over compressed. 

I say all this because I was in your boat, trying to find that perfect blend of speed and spin to maximize distance, and limit the big miss. My youtube research lead me to the facts above. I tried about 6 different 2 piece balls and ended up staying with my Snell MTB Black - it did everything well and I have to just man up and get better to not hit it off the planet one or two holes a round.

Here is the video that helped me the most: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qqf5uhDXU - Mark Crossfield fully tests 5 Srixon balls - Z-Star, Z-Star XV, Q-Star Tour, Q-Star, and the Soft Feel - I was blown away when the SoftFeels had huge spin when Mark hit them with a 7i - All the balls had similar spin on the driver!

23 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Dispersion for which clubs? Personally, I am a believer matching compression to your swing speed will help a little more . I've played both low spin (Tour B X, TP5X) and high spin (MTB-X). All are high compression and very firm. I can hit wedges straight and drop 'em and stop 'em (I have to back off on compression scale to get more roll back with high spin balls), irons straight to nice draws, and long clubs can bomb em straight or hook the crap out of them. I will say my distance definitely has been better with the low spin balls, but overall dispersion probably not much different. Proper fitted equipment and ultimately fixing swing flaws to help tighten dispersion. 

Dean Snell has a great outline for ball fitting. https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy.

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

Years ago when I was working for a golf retailer we had Bridgestone attend to carry out ball fittings, I hadn't been playing the game long and the guy recommended the e6+ because it was advertised as a straighter ball and the results reflected this. Used them balls for a while and they definitely helped me find more fairways. Not sure if they are available anymore, not seen them for ages

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1