TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sim/fitting bay yips

knightsofnii

I don't know what it is, if it's the lighting, the lack of anything tangible to aim at, the claustrophobia, or what.  But I just totally suck in an indoor bay, mainly with irons (havent hit driver indoors in years).  

I went to Golf Galaxy to try some sweet Mizuno MP20 HMB and MMC, and brought my own 7i in tow.  I couldn't hit any of the 3 consistently.  And all 3 were short on distance.  Good feeling shots went like crap, bad feeling shots looked perfect on screen with high ball speed but 10 yds short with low spin somehow.  Nothing added up and I just gave up.  

Im hoping to find some outdoor demo days somewhere, because this indoor crap is definitely a repeat phenomenon which means I can't do indoor fittings.  🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤔🤔😥😥

Anybody else experience this?  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

@knightsofniiA good friend of mine has the same issue, and it doesn’t matter how big the “room” or bay is, he just can’t do it. He’s a +2 handicap too!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, EasyPutter said:

I have yet to get a fitting (horrors I know) but I have played indoor simulators this year for the first time and TBH I just don't get it when I hit a ball.  I can see everything just fine for everyone else but when I hit... no clue. 

A year ago the PGA HOPE program had someone do a club fitting and demo kind of thing.  Didn't really know what it was and didn't get a chance to ask questions or whatever.  We were on the outdoor range, so no idea how that was organized but it is a thing and maybe it is something a club will do as an event for members?

and @knightsofnii you're about to go over 1000

1002! 😱😱😱❤❤❤💪💪💪

If only my forum score could drop my handicap 🤪🤪🤪

Glad to know its not just me with the indoor sim issues

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Here in Michigan I hit on a Trackman at a local course thru the winter. I was having the same issue until the club pro suggested I use the lowest tee he had for the sim (lifts the ball about 1/8 of an inch) His reasoning is that rarely, if ever do you play on a course where the lie is as tight as it is hitting on a sim. Made a world of difference. Now I hit my irons with consistent, comparable distance as I do during the season. It made since to me as I figured that when I'm playing on the course the ball is never laying on the bare, hard ground. There's almost always some grass holding it up a bit. 

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I can't do drivers in a relatively tight bay, always worry about hitting the sides even though it has never happened. Irons are fine just can't get over that mental block. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I never hit well indoors, not sure what my issue is, but I never get good solid contact

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 8:33 PM, LeftyHawk said:

Here in Michigan I hit on a Trackman at a local course thru the winter. I was having the same issue until the club pro suggested I use the lowest tee he had for the sim (lifts the ball about 1/8 of an inch) His reasoning is that rarely, if ever do you play on a course where the lie is as tight as it is hitting on a sim. Made a world of difference. Now I hit my irons with consistent, comparable distance as I do during the season. It made since to me as I figured that when I'm playing on the course the ball is never laying on the bare, hard ground. There's almost always some grass holding it up a bit. 

Chris

you might be on to something!  You just reminded me that at my old course when I'd hit off the "rough" matt, which I preferred, the club could strike then get down under the ball a few extra mm or whatever that difference is.  The tee stump could compensate for that.  🙂

Previous forum tests:

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I met our instructor at an indoor simulator in March. She liked it and was fitted for new irons during the session. I had a lesson afterward to dial in driver settings and was hook and slice city.

The screen was fine, and the facility was top notch, but the strip on the floor that changed from tee to rough to “sandesque” messed with my mind. I was looking forward to going and will definitely go again, but the first try was awkward.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

• 4 weeks later...

For me some bays are just tight. Either short ceilings, narrow width or people walking behind. I feel like my swing is wider than it is so hitting indoors is a mental nightmare.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X