Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The 10 second rule

LeftyRM7

There’s been a bit of discussion recently on potential rule changes, but I think this is one everyone can get behind. Get rid of the 10 second rule on the green. Why on earth does a near perfect shot deserve a penalty? You hit a great putt, it hangs on the edge of the hole. You go to tap it in and it looks like it’s moving so you wait. If you tap it in, it’s a 2 stroke penalty. Then, it drops, and you get a penalty stroke for your efforts. Seems a bit ridiculous, a great shot being rewarded with a lose/lose proposition that results in lost strokes for doing literally nothing. I’ve heard people say it’s a pace of play thing, but that’s complete bull. Considering if the same thing happens away from the hole, it turns into a 10 minute exchange between player, caddie, playing partner, and eventually a rules official. Pace of play goes out the window any other time a potential ruling takes place. I understand it’s a rare situation, but why wait until it costs someone a tournament to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

There’s been a bit of discussion recently on potential rule changes, but I think this is one everyone can get behind. Get rid of the 10 second rule on the green. Why on earth does a near perfect shot deserve a penalty? You hit a great putt, it hangs on the edge of the hole. You go to tap it in and it looks like it’s moving so you wait. If you tap it in, it’s a 2 stroke penalty. Then, it drops, and you get a penalty stroke for your efforts. Seems a bit ridiculous, a great shot being rewarded with a lose/lose proposition that results in lost strokes for doing literally nothing. I’ve heard people say it’s a pace of play thing, but that’s complete bull. Considering if the same thing happens away from the hole, it turns into a 10 minute exchange between player, caddie, playing partner, and eventually a rules official. Pace of play goes out the window any other time a potential ruling takes place. I understand it’s a rare situation, but why wait until it costs someone a tournament to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I'm aware, based on the explanation that followed the situation that happened at the RBC Heritage, Si Woo Kim would not have been penalized for striking a moving ball had he putted the ball after his 10 seconds had elapsed, so the overall result would have been the same either way. Once the 10 seconds has elapsed after taking a reasonable amount of time to reach the ball, even if the ball is oscillating in place, it's deemed to no longer be moving and you carry on.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE