TESTERS WANTED! ×

Alternatives brands

Since you still haven't made up your mind... here is another option for you

https://www.nordicagolf.fr/

I've bought shafts, grips and clubs from them and no issues.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

hello,

With a lot of regrets, I definitely don't have the budget to buy a new sub 70 iron set.

New Acer XV set "custom-made" is at the same price that pre-owned classical brand and i can't try it.

So I looked specifically for used products in good condition.

Could you give me your opinion on this pre owned sets find in France ? What is the best for a beginner ?

All in graphite regular

callaway Razr X 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,PW, AW, SW, LW (very good condition)  : 470€=567$    I can't try it

Callaway X18    5,6,7,8,9,PW   (average condition)  : 175€=211$  i can try

mizuno MX25 5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW   (good condition) :   200€=241$   I can try

Ping Rapture Green Dot, (not good for me, black) 3/4/5/6/7/8/9/P/W Wood Driver/3/5  Bag   (Very good condition) :  299€=361$ +60€/72$ for custom by Ping I can try

Ping G20 Black dot 5,6,7,8,9,PW  (bad condition) : 180€=217$  I can try

SRIXON Z155 5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW   (like new)  : 320€=387$  I can try

Taylormade M2 2017 5,6,7,8,9,PW,AW  (very good condition)  : 420€=507$    I can try

Taylormade M2 2016 4,5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW,LW  (very good condition)   : 500€=604$    I can try

Taylormade R11 5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW60,Putter, Hybrid, 3 Wood, Driver  (average condition) : 500€=604$   I can try

Taylormade R9 5,6,7,8,9,PW  (very good condition) : 180€=217$  I can try

My coach don't know all the references. He just say my, the set must be in very good or good condition, and less than 5 years ideally.

Regards

Edited by lagratte
1 hour ago, lagratte said:

hello,

With a lot of regrets, I definitely don't have the budget to buy a new sub 70 iron set.

New Acer XV set "custom-made" is at the same price that pre-owned classical brand and i can't try it.

So I looked specifically for used products in good condition.

Could you give me your opinion on this pre owned sets find in France ? What is the best for a beginner ?

All in graphite regular

callaway Razr X 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,PW, AW, SW, LW (very good condition)  : 470€=567$    I can't try it

Callaway X18    5,6,7,8,9,PW   (average condition)  : 175€=211$  i can try

mizuno MX25 5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW   (good condition) :   200€=241$   I can try

Ping Rapture Green Dot, (not good for me, black) 3/4/5/6/7/8/9/P/W Wood Driver/3/5  Bag   (Very good condition) :  299€=361$ +60€/72$ for custom by Ping I can try

Ping G20 Black dot 5,6,7,8,9,PW  (bad condition) : 180€=217$  I can try

SRIXON Z155 5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW   (like new)  : 320€=387$  I can try

Taylormade M2 2017 5,6,7,8,9,PW,AW  (very good condition)  : 420€=507$    I can try

Taylormade M2 2016 4,5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW,LW  (very good condition)   : 500€=604$    I can try

Taylormade R11 5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW60,Putter, Hybrid, 3 Wood, Driver  (average condition) : 500€=604$   I can try

Taylormade R9 5,6,7,8,9,PW  (very good condition) : 180€=217$  I can try

My coach don't know all the references. He just say my, the set must be in very good or good condition, and less than 5 years ideally.

Regards

The whole list is good but I would probably avoid the Mizuno MX 25, and Taylormade R9 and R11. Nothing wrong with those clubs but if you're just starting out and want the most forgiveness, those clubs are probably the biggest outliers on the list. I don't know much about the Srixon Z155. I personally like the Callaways for starter clubs since they don't have such a massive head profile but are very forgiving. I'm also a big fan of the Ping G line with the Raptures being even more forgiving. The Taylormade M2s are very forgiving. The Callaways, Pings and Taylormades will be most likely to be in better condition as they are cast clubs with more durable faces. The Mizuno's and Srixons are good clubs but you need to be careful about their condition since I believe they are both forged. The only club I would truly avoid out of the whole list are the Taylormade R9s but beyond that all the others will suit you well assuming you can get them cut and bent to your size at some point. 

I agree with @Kansas King, the Ping sets, even if not in the best condition, should provide you with very good value & performance in comparison to the other sets listed. Good luck! 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Thank you for your answers, precise and argued.

Small disappointment, it was the R9 that I liked the most, aesthetics and low price, to complete it as I wanted.

then the M2, because recent.

the srixon is like new, but the reviews are mixed I think
The price of the ping complete set is just amazing, but I like the design less and not sure that all the clubs suit me.

in any case you gave me the info on their playability. Let me thanks you again.

I'm going to talk to my coach about it and try to test them all.

I note your preference for ping and M2

Regards

I see my coach Yesterday.

we have validated a total budget of 900 € /1090$ max, consistent for a beginner.

we agree on the research : driver, wood, hybrids, irons, recent pre-owned or clearance sale.

new putter and wedge 

Of all the references, he only keeps the Ping Rapture series for the price, the M2 and the Srixon because they are recent. 

Everything else is too old or as you said, difficult to play.

But, if i need to modify lie and lenght, he thinks the opportunity is no longer worth it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello 

ten days ago I tried the Wilson d9, D7 forged and blade.

very surprised by the light weight of the iron head.

I tried 7 shafts. with the other clubs I had tried my best swing was with a light graphite shaft.

but with the D9 the head is so light that it was with a kbs lite Steel and an ultra light senior graphite shaft that I had my best swing. 

I looked for the head weight of a 7 iron D9 , but couldn't find anything. to compare it with a rogue callaway head, which I had quite appreciated.

Hi, 

unlike Sub70 which offers a club testing system, to my knowledge no internet retailer offers such a useful service. And sub70 don't offert it in Europe

Only possibility offered by a seller, a purchase and reimbursement in voucher, on standard clubs without choice of shafts. 

After my recent experience i realize that for a beginner it is very difficult to buy without trying. 

Suddenly, I will certainly buy a "classic" brand to be able to try more easily.

My pro has scheduled a new test / fitting session for me in the store he works with. I hope to take advantage of the sales to have an attractive price.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hello 

I haven't seen my pro since the Wilson test, almost 2 months.  so i worked my swing on my own, with youtube. 

the pro-shop fitting was canceled and impossible to schedule another one with our respective schedules.   

So I decided to look for a second-hand series, without trying it, despite my swing problems. 

1/ AP1 714 5-PW graphite 240 € average condition 

2/ AP1 716 5-PW graphite 310 € very good condition 

3/ AP1 718 4-PW graphite 475 € very good condition 

4/ burner plus 5-PW graphite 135 € good condition 

5/ Rogue 5-PW graphite senior 255 € good condition 

6/ Acer XV 4-PW apollo 85 140 € good condition 

7/ maltby ts1 7-PW TS2 4-6 fujukura atmos 285 € new 

8/ burner 2.0 5-pw + SW RAC 56 ° superfast steel 85 130€ good condition but a shock on the PW shaft 

9/ sim 2 Max 4-SW 8 steel clubs 460 € new 

10/ M2 5-PW graphite 310 € very good condition 

11/ Wilson D350 5-PW + 3 WOOD PING I3 210 € very good condition for the Wilson, very average condition for the wood 

12/ wishon 870ti 5-PW graphite soft regular 315 € very good condition 

What do you think of these Irons set ?

Could you give your 3 Best value for money for me ?

Regards

Edited by lagratte
22 hours ago, lagratte said:

So I decided to look for a second-hand series, without trying it, despite my swing problems. 

I am NOT a CLUB SPECS  sort of guy, don't know much about different shafts or anything of that nature. Or anything really about the other sets of clubs you have listed.  I can tell you that prior to buying myself, my own retirement gift of a set of Callaway Mavrik's, I had played a set of Taylor Made Burner 2.0's for 7-8 years and absolutely loved them. That would be my input, for what its worth.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 7/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, lagratte said:

1/ AP1 714 5-PW graphite 240 € average condition 

2/ AP1 716 5-PW graphite 310 € very good condition 

3/ AP1 718 4-PW graphite 475 € very good condition 

AP1s are very good clubs for higher handicap players.  My daughter plays them, and she shoots in the mid-high 80s when she plays from the forward tees and the 90s if she plays from farther back.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 7/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, lagratte said:

7/ maltby ts1 7-PW TS2 4-6 fujukura atmos 285 € new 

TS1s and TS2s are better player clubs (especially the TS1s).  I've tried the TS2s, and I'd have them if I didn't get selected for the Wilson D7 Forged test last summer (which I love).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I suspected the maltbys weren't beginner irons. 

I also really like the AP1 that a member advised me at the beginning of the topic.
however the 718s are a bit expensive 

I sent the announcements to my pro, he told me to wait, he got some taylormade M6 that I can try, in 15 days normally. 

if the M6s don't fit, I found some f-max superlite 2019 for 200 €, or it will definitely be AP1 716 or 718 depending on the price I can get. because the other announcements, the sets are a little too old 

Thank you for sharing your experience anyway

• 8 months later...

Hello all, 

Because of big personal worries I had to stop playing golf for 7 months.

I resumed at practice 2 weeks ago, feeling like I was starting from 0. 

During my stop, I found by chance t300 2019 recoil F3 -0.5 inch (5-pw) for 440$

My pro found me a 2019 w48 new for $110 and gave me a rtx4 58° with a ns pro 950 reg 

As soon as he receives his new putter I have to get his spider back for a good price. 

I plan to complete my bag with a 52 or 54° as well as a 5 wood. And that will be all for now. 

I have gift cards for one club in a golf shop, but i don't know if i want to buy new now and which, wedge or 5 wood

Regards

Good WGC