Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Newer to golf and looking for Fairway Woods or Hybrids

I just started getting in to golf. I am missing Fairway woods or Hybrid clubs. What shoould I lookj for or what should I consider while searching for clubs? I am a vetrean and can get a pretty good discount on PXG and also 15% on Titleist I think. 

Thank you in advnace. 

Driver :callaway-small: XR 10.5°

Irons: :titelist-small: AP1 PW-4i

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey 56°  & Vokey 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #5 Putter

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Ball: Kirkland Signature V2.0

The big question is what are you trying to accomplish or replace with the woods/hybrids. Then I'd go try a bunch out at a fitter or a big box store like Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore. The discount won't do you any good if it's not the right club. I have a similar handicap and carry a 5 wood (18.5* adjustable +/- 1*) and 2 hybrids 22* and 26* (both adj, 1.5* +/-). the latter 2 take the place of 5i & 6i. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Try both woods and hybrids.  I carry a 3 and 5 wood and I also carry a 4 hybrid.  I hit my long irons pretty good, but the 4 hybrid is just easier to launch.  It's also a ton more forgiving.  You just need to ask yourself what is it that you are looking for in a club.  Also, if you can get on a launch monitor (simulator), hit the long clubs against fairway woods and hybrids so you can compare.  It's a marathon not a sprint, enjoy the process and don't rush, there are tons of clubs out there.  Find ones you like and pull the trigger.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Thanks appreciate it. I know I need to fill in somewhere between my driver and 4 iron. I don’t hit the 4 well not always working on improving. 

Driver :callaway-small: XR 10.5°

Irons: :titelist-small: AP1 PW-4i

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey 56°  & Vokey 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #5 Putter

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Ball: Kirkland Signature V2.0

If you are trying to stick to companies that offer discounts for veterans, toss taylormade into the mix, I believe it is 10% and they just check through verifyme.com (I believe thats the site anyway). Got my iron set through the site and got the discount.

But to ring off @tony@CICand @ballplayer002003check out the options and see what works for YOU. If you are going to stick to those companies that offer discounts the decision making might be easier.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

20 hours ago, rmvanbuskirk said:

I just started getting in to golf. I am missing Fairway woods or Hybrid clubs. What shoould I lookj for or what should I consider while searching for clubs? I am a vetrean and can get a pretty good discount on PXG and also 15% on Titleist I think. 

Thank you in advnace. 

I’m not aware of titleist offering a discount. They only recently started selling their clubs via their website and I didn’t see any links to discounts there.

Taylormade offers 15% for active duty and veterans

Edit: I believe Wilson also does 15%

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Look into PING G-410 Hybrids and fairway woods and save some cash, the only reason I used to carry fairway woods and a 3 and 4 iron or hybrid (Cleveland Mashie) was to fish balls out of the water! 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

If you’re new to golf, I’d recommend starting with adding a 5 wood and seeing how that works for you.  Then if you hit it well, might want to try a 3 or 7 wood, if it’s just ok, then try a hybrid iron.  But based on hitting your long iron poorly I’d try the 5 wood first.  Not sure brand as a beginner will make a huge difference just choose a higher launching or more forgiving model by whichever brand you like better.  You can go by the reviews or try hitting yourself but I presume you’re not consistent yet so hitting them may not give you an answer but more of which one you hit better that day at that time.