2021 Official Review: Nippon Regio Driver Shafts

Posted (edited)

Finally was able to go to the range and do some testing. Used the PRGR unit. thank to @ChasingScratchfor letting me borrow it.

Using a different Driver Head (TourEdge EXS 220) since I'm still waiting on the replacement one (TourEdge EXS Pro), I thought this initial testing was pretty good.

The Ball flight was a little higher than my normal flight, but everything was pretty much a straight and deep ball. There were a few that were pulls every time I tried to give it a little extra on the swing. 
The shaft felt amazingly sturdy, the more comfortable  I got with the swing the more confidence I got to turn on it and since there wasn't the foul ball to worry about.

If I have time tomorrow, I will get about 10-15 swings with my current shaft and document those numbers so we can have a true comparison. 

Hopefully by next week the replacement head will come in I can test it with my regular gamer. (I  expect similar numbers maybe a little better)

image.png.a53bfbca510781d46d75658701050d13.png

I will be taken it out to the course on Sunday which should be fun, long course and an a challenging 18th hole which begs for you to go for it.

image.png.395b5d486b698e0b4bae7046a9a04313.png

Edited by MrBandit
  • Like 6

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 9.5 with  NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTING: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll get this started with some background info on who I am and how I play! Introduction to my game: Let’s start with my game and who I am as a golfer, and let’s take it all the way back. I

Introduction to my game: Hey guys I’m Drew! I started playing golf about 2 years ago seriously. I messed around on the course over the summer in high school but never anything too serious My

Let the games begin! 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Finally was able to go to the range and do some testing.

Using a different Driver Head (TourEdge EXS 220) since I'm still waiting on the replacement one (TourEdge EXS Pro), I thought this initial testing was pretty good.

The Ball flight was a little higher than my normal flight, but everything was pretty much a straight and deep ball. There were a few that were pulls every time I tried to give it a little extra on the swing. 
The shaft felt amazingly sturdy, the more comfortable  I got with the swing the more confidence I got to turn on it and since there wasn't the foul ball to worry about.

If I have time tomorrow, I will get about 10-15 swings with my current shaft and document those numbers so we can have a true comparison. 

Hopefully by next week the replacement head will come in I can test it with my regular gamer. (I  expect similar numbers maybe a little better)

Some pretty solid early numbers, hope to be able to seethe comparison to your current shaft 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

14 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Finally was able to go to the range and do some testing. Used the PRGR unit. thank to @ChasingScratchfor letting me borrow it.

I will be taken it out to the course on Sunday which should be fun, long course and an a challenging 18th hole which begs for you to go for it.

Great start on those numbers there. Also that holed looks boarderline diabolical if that tree is as in play as it looks.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

7 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Great start on those numbers there. Also that holed looks boarderline diabolical if that tree is as in play as it looks.

Its a layup hole most of the time, if you happen to be down wind, you may challenge carrying the water , and you hope you can stay right or left of the tree, then you have another 230yds or so to get to an elevated green crossing water again. Its a big number finishing hole if your are not careful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBandit said:

Its a layup hole most of the time, if you happen to be down wind, you may challenge carrying the water , and you hope you can stay right or left of the tree, then you have another 230yds or so to get to an elevated green crossing water again. Its a big number finishing hole if your are not careful.

Looks like a big number hole if I am careful.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed

10 hours ago, MrBandit said:

That 18th hole looks like an absolute beast. Nothing like a finishing up your round on a hole that can kick your teeth in. 

And to all the testers great work on finding ways to get some data for the shafts. It really helps paint a picture of what's going on during the testing process.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 LST 9°, Tensei 1K White (X  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15°, Ventus Black 7S

3 Utility Iron (Alternate Club): :cobra-small: King Utility Iron 18.5°, Project X HZRDUS (S Flex)

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Tensei Blue 70S

4i-AW: :srixon-small: ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400 (1.5° Upright, Std Length)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM8, Finish: The Best Finish (Slate Blue) Grind: S, Bounce: 10°, Shaft: Dynamic Gold S400 (1.5° Upright, Std Length)

60°: :vokey-small: SM8, Finish: The Best Finish (Slate Blue) Grind: M, Bounce: 8°, Shaft: Dynamic Gold S400 (1.5° Upright, Std Length)

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos: Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

*Depending on the course and conditions I choose between my hybrid and utility iron the day of.

Official Member Review: Nippon Zelos 7 (Here)

Follow My Super Speed Training Progress Below 103mph-112mph and Gaining

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KpCSY2sLk97yCmUyoW-aVzLLs_k4CuPR5708OrVw5gA/edit?usp=sharing

I did another session just to gather numbers from my current shaft and compare to the Nippon.
You can see the difference in Balls Speed, Carry/Total yds and smash factor.  Its clear that the Nippon MB+ 65 is a winner.

Balls Speed increase by 8Mphs, Carry Distance up by 16yds and Total yards by 15yds, even the smash factor was up by 0.06.
image.png.d12a7c5d8f31d620bb6c0ba6dc503158.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

I did another session just to gather numbers from my current shaft and compare to the Nippon.
You can see the difference in Balls Speed, Carry/Total yds and smash factor.  Its clear that the Nippon MB+ 65 is a winner.

Balls Speed increase by 8Mphs, Carry Distance up by 16yds and Total yards by 15yds, even the smash factor was up by 0.06.

Mean averages aren’t even close. Looks like you’ve got a winner. 

• Like 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

6 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Impressive performance gains! Are you noticing any difference in flight bias? Or are you still seeing your normal flight?

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

Just now, B.Boston said:

Impressive performance gains! Are you noticing any difference in flight bias? Or are you still seeing your normal flight?

Ball flight is a little higher than my normal but is hard to gauge since am not using my normal Driver Head. Hoping to get it back by next week.

• Like 2

Great so far boys.... the shafts look amazing and the head covers were a nice touch

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: MIM Tour Irons 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM Black 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

5 hours ago, MrBandit said:

Ball flight is a little higher than my normal but is hard to gauge since am not using my normal Driver Head. Hoping to get it back by next week.

Ah right. For some reason I read that last one as you having your driver back. 

hopefully you’ll see the same results once you do!

• Like 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

On 5/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, MrBandit said:

That hole looks like the 18th at Wii Sports Resort!

Impressive gains with the new shaft! If you had to guess, what aspect of the shaft would you say was the biggest factor for the change?

• Like 1

Check out my review of the  EXPUTT Putting Simulator

Driver - :nike-small: Vapor Speed, 9.5°, Fubuki Z50 S
Hybrid - Warrior 3H

Irons - :wilson_staff_small: D200 5-GW, uniflex, std length/loft/lie
Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX 52°, 58°
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Posted (edited)

Tremendous results from this weekends outing, the shaft and combination with the TS3 held up fantastically, I am a solid 250 carry rolling out into the 260's. I played today and yesterday walked 18 each day, yesterday the pace of play was great for walking which allowed me to conserve some energy. I hit 50% of the fairways and 3-4 were within 1-2 feet from the fairway playing in the first cut. Today I hit 7 fairways alone on the front 9, but fatigue caught ups to me on the back 9. I was roasted with the heat and it showed. my driver took the brunt of it. I chalk it up to fatigue causing the driver to drop off in performance.  I don't have a launch monitor or Arccos currently although I am considering it but I did take some photos on the GRINT lining up my shot and the tee box the best I could to show everyone some of the locations and distances I have hit this weekend. The drive I hit on 8 is one I would consider as a "missile", I really wanted to go all out and cover the bunker, it was probably the first time since getting the shaft on the course where I really let it rip. No disappointment on that drive!

.IMG_0114.jpeg.90ee7c0e54a6f8034dad4fae31ad198b.jpeg

Yesterday this was such a cool drive to hit, the hole plays uphill, they're currently filling in the fairway bunker to the left and seeding over. Earlier in the year when it's windy no chance of reaching the green, the wind holes through the opening and it's right at your face or a cross wind. The woods are behind you so limited chance you are getting much assistance at your back with the wind. It's risk reward, if you are left approaching the green you are looking to be in a green side bunker which are quite steep, If you go right their is a marsh and farther right puts you in the condos. I couldn't have been happier with the results and even funner I couldn't find my ball at first because I had never drove it that far with the wind. I would honestly say it was that well of a struck shot on the face.IMG_0116.jpeg.794ead5f94b44cbdf6457acc19b5d6bb.jpeg

Starting the day off on 1, hell of a shot to get the round going, perfect position, leaving me with a great shot into the green. I don't have much more real estate to work with before I run into the river lol This combo really impressed me this weekend. It even impressed my playing partners. I'll be honest with everyone at 5ft 6 this combo has allowed me to maximize my distance this weekend to keep up with some stout guys!

IMG_0113.jpeg.8f69cc75e8ba65188d9db733b0699801.jpeg

The best part about hole 9, man it landed right on the 150 yard marker. Taking that marker out and tossing it aside for my shot felt amazing. Really culminated all the hard work I had been putting in with my driver.

IMG_0115.jpeg.8076caa90f73f6ae3fd9644aff32ba5e.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

Edited by RollingGreens
spelling
  • Like 7

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

On 5/15/2021 at 1:21 AM, gavinski91 said:

That hole looks like the 18th at Wii Sports Resort!

Impressive gains with the new shaft! If you had to guess, what aspect of the shaft would you say was the biggest factor for the change?

the Shaft appears to keep the load longer, so as you finally releasing it ball seems to jump of the driver.  Feels really sturdy , this was a heavier shaft than my Tensi CK Orange but it feels lighter.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Tremendous results from this weekends outing, the shaft and combination with the TS3 held up fantastically, I am a solid 250 carry rolling out into the 260's. I played today and yesterday walked 18 each day, yesterday the pace of play was great for walking which allowed me to conserve some energy. I hit 50% of the fairways and 3-4 were within 1-2 feet from the fairway playing in the first cut. Today I hit 7 fairways alone on the front 9, but fatigue caught ups to me on the back 9. I was roasted with the heat and it showed. my driver took the brunt of it. I chalk it up to fatigue causing the driver to drop off in performance.  I don't have a launch monitor or Arccos currently although I am considering it but I did take some photos on the GRINT lining up my shot and the tee box the best I could to show everyone some of the locations and distances I have hit this weekend. The drive I hit on 8 is one I would consider as a "missile", I really wanted to go all out and cover the bunker, it was probably the first time since getting the shaft on the course where I really let it rip. No disappointment on that drive!

.IMG_0114.jpeg.90ee7c0e54a6f8034dad4fae31ad198b.jpeg

Yesterday this was such a cool drive to hit, the hole plays uphill, they're currently filling in the fairway bunker to the left and seeding over. Earlier in the year when it's windy no chance of reaching the green, the wind holes through the opening and it's right at your face or a cross wind. The woods are behind you so limited chance you are getting much assistance at your back with the wind. It's risk reward, if you are left approaching the green you are looking to be in a green side bunker which are quite steep, If you go right their is a marsh and farther right puts you in the condos. I couldn't have been happier with the results and even funner I couldn't find my ball at first because I had never drove it that far with the wind. I would honestly say it was that well of a struck shot on the face.IMG_0116.jpeg.794ead5f94b44cbdf6457acc19b5d6bb.jpeg

Starting the day off on 1, hell of a shot to get the round going, perfect position, leaving me with a great shot into the green. I don't have much more real estate to work with before I run into the river lol This combo really impressed me this weekend. It even impressed my playing partners. I'll be honest with everyone at 5ft 6 this combo has allowed me to maximize my distance this weekend to keep up with some stout guys!

IMG_0113.jpeg.8f69cc75e8ba65188d9db733b0699801.jpeg

The best part about hole 9, man it landed right on the 150 yard marker. Taking that marker out and tossing it aside for my shot felt amazing. Really culminated all the hard work I had been putting in with my driver.

IMG_0115.jpeg.8076caa90f73f6ae3fd9644aff32ba5e.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

Looks like some great results with the driver shaft combo so far. keep the results coming. The distance gains are great too. Do you feel that it is mostly from some better timing, a bit more confidence, a little bit of both. Either way its great.

• Like 1

Played yesterday at The Bridges in Gunther, TX,. front 9 driver was even better than in the range its windy there and the ball flight was penetrating thru the winds. 

Back 9, well torrential down pour of rain, we had to stop and hide by the trees in between heavy down pours, wait until it was steady rain and the rivers on the fairways where down to small streams.
Shaft performed even better in the rain, didn't expect to be doing a test in the rain but it happen.
By the end of the day I hit 71% of fairways, and they ones I missed where just in the edge or I ended up in a fairway bunker.

This weeks heavy rains are expected to continue, one of my home course is underwater already, don't expect any range or course play this week. 
Hopefully next week.

On the good news, my driver head is fixed and will be picking it up this afternoon, Next time am able to hit the driver, it will be with my normal setup. Expect similar or even better numbers.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Looks like some great results with the driver shaft combo so far. keep the results coming. The distance gains are great too. Do you feel that it is mostly from some better timing, a bit more confidence, a little bit of both. Either way its great.

It’s definitely a combination of both. The timing was less of a factor than the confidence. I didn’t feel a huge drop off in comparison to my Tensei white when it came to timing. Because their isn’t a huge kick point with the Nippon it seemed more seamless of a transition from the Tensei. The shaft definitely performs and I’d be interested to see what the numbers look like when I do a trackman test coming up. 

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

2 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

It’s definitely a combination of both. The timing was less of a factor than the confidence. I didn’t feel a huge drop off in comparison to my Tensei white when it came to timing. Because their isn’t a huge kick point with the Nippon it seemed more seamless of a transition from the Tensei. The shaft definitely performs and I’d be interested to see what the numbers look like when I do a trackman test coming up. 

Sounds great and that confidence is a huge thing. Getting there helps produce that free flowing swing with that little extra speed.

• Like 1

So finally got the head back, hit a few times at the facilities my last numbers before leaving were very good. Still need to tweak a bit. But its an improvement already.

image.png.b6631c7b6c04ec2da790dca415585ab0.png

• Like 5