Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Heading to Pinehurst

JohnBarry

Don't let the title fool you, even though we are heading there, we are not playing any of the Pinehurst Resort courses. This is a value trip we have been going on for years.

We will be playing Tot Hill Farms (a hidden gem and steal at $51.00 bucks, thank you Mr. Mike Stranz!) We will also be playing Whisper Woods, Hyland (A Tradition for Worst Dressed Golfer Day) and Whispering Pines. We get there May 12th, and thanks to my favorite Pinehurst Packager, we will be staying in a huge 3500 square foot house all together. Cooking, playing poker, drinking, our own Karaoke set up and what ever non-sense we get into.

I will try and post some pictures, I usually forget to take many.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Have a great time - I just missed out on a Pinehurst customer outing this week.  Trying to get back out there for another one with different customers in the fall.  Was planning mid pines, tobacco road, and #2.  However, still very early stages and could decide on a different venue.

Sounds like you will have a terrific housing option too.  That certainly adds to the enjoyment.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

9 hours ago, JohnBarry said:

Don't let the title fool you, even though we are heading there, we are not playing any of the Pinehurst Resort courses. This is a value trip we have been going on for years.

We will be playing Tot Hill Farms (a hidden gem and steal at $51.00 bucks, thank you Mr. Mike Stranz!) We will also be playing Whisper Woods, Hyland (A Tradition for Worst Dressed Golfer Day) and Whispering Pines. We get there May 12th, and thanks to my favorite Pinehurst Packager, we will be staying in a huge 3500 square foot house all together. Cooking, playing poker, drinking, our own Karaoke set up and what ever non-sense we get into.

Pinehurst is always a special trip, i’ve done it several times with no resort courses and staying at an offsite condo or hotel and several times staying at the resort and playing its courses.  

Will be going back in September playing 2,4  and 8.  Also playing the Cradle, which I haven’t played yet, so that will be cool. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm leaving in about an hour, staying at our place at Talamore, and playing Talamore, MidSouth, and PH #8.  If anyone needs some research done, let me know.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

23 hours ago, JohnBarry said:

Add the Elks Club ( Southern Pines Golf Club) -  Donald Ross gem now being run by the Pine Needles/ Mid Pines mgnt-  Kelly Miller - Pat McGowan etc; 
Great track, super value.

We just did the Pinehurst trip and honestly the highlight for us was Mid Pines and Pine Needles. I would highly recommend those tracks. 

Tobacco road was fun as well, though if your game isn't on, it might frustrate you. 

We did Pinehurst #2, #4, and #8 and it was underwhelming. Possibly because how browned out everything was.  We appreciated the course and the history and it was definitely bucket list but compared to other places we've travelled like Whistling Straits and Bandon Dunes it paled. 

- Raj

HDCP 12
Driver - Taylormade M5 9 - HZRDUS Smoke S
Irons - Ping i200 AWT 2 stiff shafts
Wedges - Titleist Vokeys 50, 55, 60
Putter - Odyssey Fang 2 Ball

4 minutes ago, JCbogey said:

Curious on your favorite packager and roughly the cost of that house on the trip, sounds awesome.

We did the Donald Ross Package which was 3 nights 4 rounds for $1600 plus $200 upcharge for number 2 plus 17% auto gratuity on things. 

Ended up dropping the 4th round in favor of Tobacco road and that got us about $165 back. 

Paid for Mid pines, pine needles, and Tobacco rd separately at their listed prices. 

- Raj

HDCP 12
Driver - Taylormade M5 9 - HZRDUS Smoke S
Irons - Ping i200 AWT 2 stiff shafts
Wedges - Titleist Vokeys 50, 55, 60
Putter - Odyssey Fang 2 Ball

We did a similar trip 4 or 5 times. There are so many good courses there, it is ridiculousl This year, we are finally play Pinehurst resort. I have enjoyed all of my trips there. I am looking forward to playing #2 for the first time. I think the area is one of the best value buddy trips. Great courses. All close to each other. Good rental options too.

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

If you do venture out for a dinner one night, I recommend Vito's. Amazing Italian food, a little like going back in time. Bring cash, no cards accepted; but it's worth it. I've been there twice and will go back when in Pinehurst again. Enjoy your trip.

Daddy Caddy

Much better caddy than player!

I recommend a stop at the Pine Crest Hotel for drinks on the front porch , great place for conversation and meeting neat  people , it’s an old fashioned hotel just as they should be ambiance and heritage are excellent 

Edited by Garwood

We played Tot Hill Farms last week ($39 on Group Golfer) and for most of us it was our first time.  I think all 8 of us enjoyed it.  Not nearly as crazy as Stranz’s Tobacco Road.  We all live in Raleigh and it was a bit far but we would definitely play it again.

Have fun!

Between Jul 5 and 15 pick a three day two nite package at Talamore in Southern Pines, near Pinehurst...Stay in a two bedrooms double occupancy condo, sleeps four, two breakfasts included , possibly a Pig Pickin depending on the dates you chose, play Talamore and Mid South (both very nice courses,  play one course two times, get a $50 pro shop credit, total is  $539...

Oh yes, it includes a new Scotty Cameron putter with a custom made head cover.....and, yes, it is for real. Have done it a half doxen times over the last several years.

Edited by Fore O

Titleist TS1 10.5

Tour Edge CB 5 5 wood

PXG 19 degree hybrid

PXG 24 degree hybrid

Titleist 716 AP 1 5-G

Titleist 52 degree wedge

Titleist 56 degree wedge

Seemore 34” Del Mar Putter

On 4/28/2021 at 12:38 PM, JohnBarry said:

Christopher J Kim

12 hours ago, Fore O said:

Between Jul 5 and 15 pick a three day two nite package at Talamore in Southern Pines, near Pinehurst...Stay in a two bedrooms double occupancy condo, sleeps four, two breakfasts included , possibly a Pig Pickin depending on the dates you chose, play Talamore and Mid South (both very nice courses,  play one course two times, get a $50 pro shop credit, total is  $539...

Oh yes, it includes a new Scotty Cameron putter with a custom made head cover.....and, yes, it is for real. Have done it a half doxen times over the last several years.

Wow that is a deal

WITB

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSi3 9* w/Project X HZRDUS smoke black RDX 70 6.5

Wood: :titleist-small: TSi2 15* w/Project X HZRDUS smoke black RDX 70 6.5

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: TS3 21*

Irons:  :srixon-small: ZX5 4-A w/ X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Black MG2 54, 58

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz Max CB

My packager has 5 houses in Pinehurst and one at St. Andrews, I highly recommend Steve Saye and https://www.clubhousepropertiesnc.com/

We are paying 450 a person for 4 nights and 4 rounds.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Tot Hill is a nice little hidden gem!  Love the first par 3, its beautiful.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

We just moved to town about 6 months ago and love all the reviews. I'll definitely be playing all to most of these through the years. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

What sort of handicap is should I be shooting before tackling Pinehurst #2?  I'm thinking of playing there end of may next year.  I'm about an 18 now, but am improving (or was until I tore my Achilles).  It's a bucket list course, but I don't want to go out and have a totally miserable time (if you know what I mean).

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

There are no forced carries, and wide fairways.  So its not punishing.  But off the fairways is nasty, and near the greens its really really challenging.  At 18, I think you could enjoy it, but its going to be tough.  On the other hand, you can play some of the other Pinehurst resort courses, get much of the same experience, have a great time, and save a few hundred bucks.  Or you can go and play none resort courses, stay off the resort, and save even more.  There are lost of really good courses, nice places.to stay, great restaurants, its on of my favorite places, both at the resort and off.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It sure does look like there is an abundance of really nice courses in the area.  More than likely I'll just go poke around at Pinehurst and play elsewhere (unless I end up staying at Pinehurst).  It's been fun to read through this thread!  

On 5/20/2021 at 6:59 PM, Jonny_Crash said:

What sort of handicap is should I be shooting before tackling Pinehurst #2?  I'm thinking of playing there end of may next year.  I'm about an 18 now, but am improving (or was until I tore my Achilles).  It's a bucket list course, but I don't want to go out and have a totally miserable time (if you know what I mean).

I was just getting back into golf when I went. I was striping my 7i to warm up, worked my way to driver and snap hooked about the next 40 shots I hit no matter the club. Went out and played one of the worst rounds in my entire life. It was still worth it, I had a blast and a ton of fun. 

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

On 5/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, Jonny_Crash said:

It sure does look like there is an abundance of really nice courses in the area.  More than likely I'll just go poke around at Pinehurst and play elsewhere (unless I end up staying at Pinehurst).  It's been fun to read through this thread!  

I've been going once or twice a year since 2007.  If I can help in any way, post here, or send me a PM.  Its one of my favorite places in the world.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 5/22/2021 at 6:18 PM, DaveP043 said:

I've been going once or twice a year since 2007.  If I can help in any way, post here, or send me a PM.  Its one of my favorite places in the world.

For sure, from reading the boards it looks like you are very familiar.  I'll be at a wedding in Raleigh Durham, so it would be a quick hop over there (relatively).  I'm not likely to make it back down that way again, so I really want to check it out.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just walking around the center of Pinehurst resort is fun. The putting green, the Deuce, watching people finish on #2 and #4, and the Cradle though it is getting harder and harder to just walk up and play the Cradle. As for the courses we played, we played #4, #8, #9 and #5 as well as Tobacco Road. #8 was the only one I wouldn't play again. I think the main thing is to be reasonable about the tees you select and you should be fine. #1, #3 and #5 are the shorter ones but lack some of the "WOW' factor that #4 and #2 have. Quick thoughts on the ones we played:

#4 - Very handsome golf course with great conditioning and diverse hole designs. Felt challenging while still being "fair" and everyone in our group played well out there and agreed it was our favorite of the ones we played. Hanse did an excellent job bringing back the waste bunkers and framing the holes up in a similar fashion as #2 with much less punishing greens. 10/10 for me, can't wait to play again.

#5 - The easiest course we played but we all had fun. It was a nice afternoon round after 18 on #9 in the morning. The course looks a bit tired compared to #4/#2/#9 and almost feels like an upscale muni. Would play again but could stand to have a refresh/restoration. 7/10 for me just based on the fact that the conditioning is a little lacking and the design is tired, but would play this course often if it was in my town. 

#8 - I found this golf course to be exceptionally difficult, mainly because I didn't know much about it going in. The back 9 is particularly hard and while the course is well conditioned and interesting everyone in our group felt like the course was overly punishing in some areas and I, personally, don't want to play it again. 6/10 based on the design being overly punishing off the tee and just a general lack of fun shots for me.

#9 - Felt like a country club (it used to be one) and is quite a bit different than the other pinehurst courses. I think it is a nice change of pace and normally I don't like Jack Nicklaus designs but this one was great fun. It has bent greens which rolled exceptionally well in April when we there. I would rank it behind #4 but ahead of 8 and 5. 8.5/10 for me, would play here everyday. 

Definitely going back in a few years and I will play #4 again for sure. I would like to play #3 because they have recently re-done it and I have heard that even though it is short the greens can get you out there. Would play #9 again. Would play #5 again on a day when we played 36. I have been scared off #7 because it looks very tight on google earth and supposedly has a ton of uphill approach shots on repeat which doesn't sound fun. Haven't heard much about #6. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

2 hours ago, vandyland said:

Just walking around the center of Pinehurst resort is fun. The putting green, the Deuce, watching people finish on #2 and #4, and the Cradle though it is getting harder and harder to just walk up and play the Cradle. As for the courses we played, we played #4, #8, #9 and #5 as well as Tobacco Road. #8 was the only one I wouldn't play again. I think the main thing is to be reasonable about the tees you select and you should be fine. #1, #3 and #5 are the shorter ones but lack some of the "WOW' factor that #4 and #2 have. Quick thoughts on the ones we played:

#4 - Very handsome golf course with great conditioning and diverse hole designs. Felt challenging while still being "fair" and everyone in our group played well out there and agreed it was our favorite of the ones we played. Hanse did an excellent job bringing back the waste bunkers and framing the holes up in a similar fashion as #2 with much less punishing greens. 10/10 for me, can't wait to play again.

#5 - The easiest course we played but we all had fun. It was a nice afternoon round after 18 on #9 in the morning. The course looks a bit tired compared to #4/#2/#9 and almost feels like an upscale muni. Would play again but could stand to have a refresh/restoration. 7/10 for me just based on the fact that the conditioning is a little lacking and the design is tired, but would play this course often if it was in my town. 

#8 - I found this golf course to be exceptionally difficult, mainly because I didn't know much about it going in. The back 9 is particularly hard and while the course is well conditioned and interesting everyone in our group felt like the course was overly punishing in some areas and I, personally, don't want to play it again. 6/10 based on the design being overly punishing off the tee and just a general lack of fun shots for me.

#9 - Felt like a country club (it used to be one) and is quite a bit different than the other pinehurst courses. I think it is a nice change of pace and normally I don't like Jack Nicklaus designs but this one was great fun. It has bent greens which rolled exceptionally well in April when we there. I would rank it behind #4 but ahead of 8 and 5. 8.5/10 for me, would play here everyday. 

Definitely going back in a few years and I will play #4 again for sure. I would like to play #3 because they have recently re-done it and I have heard that even though it is short the greens can get you out there. Would play #9 again. Would play #5 again on a day when we played 36. I have been scared off #7 because it looks very tight on google earth and supposedly has a ton of uphill approach shots on repeat which doesn't sound fun. Haven't heard much about #6. 

I go down every year and have done so for the past 20 years.  You MUST play #7!!!!  It is by far, the best and most challenging of the Pinehurst courses.  I have played them all, and #7 is a course that you need to have your game face on.  You will need every club in your bag, and you better read the greens from MULTIPLE angles, not just from behind your ball.  There are very subtle breaks in the greens that you won't see from just one angle.  Trust me, it is a fun day of golf.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"