Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Affect of club loft

There are no charts or data on this because there are no absolutes.

If you are assuming clubhead speed, strike location, dynamic loft, angle of attack, path and face angle are all of the same then the only conclusions you can make are:

13* head will have more ball speed, launch lower, and spin less while the 16* degree head will have less ball speed, launch higher and spin more 

I will say, this past week I dialed my driver up from 9 degrees to 10 and I am bombing drives.  That one degree has made a big difference for me.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I will say, this past week I dialed my driver up from 9 degrees to 10 and I am bombing drives.  That one degree has made a big difference for me.  

Whereas in contrast bumping mine from 10 to 11 is what did the trick for me since I was launching too low.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Really hard to guess because everyone is different.  for simplicity of comparison; think about irons that have 3/4 degrees between them but the higher lofted has roughly a half inch shorter shaft.  Depending on swing speed most people see a 10 to 20 yard difference between clubs.  When you get to those lower lofted clubs like 13* they are harder to hit and people so the gaps become harder to predict.   Player 1 may hit the 13* 20 yards shorter than the 16* and player 2 may hit it 30 yards longer.

This is why it is important to try clubs an get some type of fitting to compare.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

In practical terms, I think the previous replies are right.  Too many variables, but you could design a test for this if you had the resources.  You could build a club with the exact same specs (shaft, length, lie, club head weight, etc) with the only exception being loft and test the clubs using a Iron Byron type of robot.  I've never seen an article or chart of such info, but it may be out there.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Somewhere out there and on here is a trackman chart that gives the ideal launch/spin rates for a given swing speed. 

I don't know however if a chart exists that will answer your question.  You can't speculate without a couple of other data points - you need swing speed and angle ck.  If you had those items and then had two clubs that were the same length, you could make a determination.  I'm confident that at a slower swing speed the more lofted club would carry farther and that the cross over speed would change based on AoA.  

At those lofts you're basically creating my dilemna - you'd thing the 13 would go farther but because of my moderate Swing Speed and shallow AoA I will hit the 16 longer every time off the turf.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 hours ago, MNUte said:

Whereas in contrast bumping mine from 10 to 11 is what did the trick for me since I was launching too low.

I’m exact opposite I have my 9* turned down to 8* 

Cobra f9

titleist ts3 3 wood and 4 hybrid

titlesist u500 2 iron

srixon z forged 5-pw

cleveland zip core 50 and 55

taylormade high toe 60

taylormade spider x 

@revkev  is this the chart you were thinking of??  Ping has one also but I couldn't get it to save in an acceptable file format to upload.

TrackMan-Driver-Optimizer-300x234.png.33a96586d9eefd3f44b2b802a5d40bf5.png

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Yes, that’s it - I hadn’t looked at it in a while.  I know that I normally measure 3 up when I’m on trackman - interestingly I’m carrying driver in the low 230’s according to Rapsodo when I get my SS to 100 and according to this up 5 would carry 239 so the Rapsodo is probably spot on there and I’m more likely 3 up still.

Cool 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

20 hours ago, Crane263 said:

I’m exact opposite I have my 9* turned down to 8* 

This is exactly why they make adjustable heads and it’s important to get fit. 🙂

Also adjusting a club dies change the characteristics a bit - it opens or shuts the club face so a 14.5 base turned up to 16 will be closed while turned down to 13 will be open.  Still it could give an idea for sure.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

7 hours ago, revkev said:

This is exactly why they make adjustable heads and it’s important to get fit. 🙂

Also adjusting a club dies change the characteristics a bit - it opens or shuts the club face so a 14.5 base turned up to 16 will be closed while turned down to 13 will be open.  Still it could give an idea for sure.

For sure my cobra speed zone is at 8 but I played the 2016 m1 at 10.5 and the m3 at 9.5. I like open club faces I wear out the left side lol

Cobra f9

titlesist u500 2 iron

srixon z forged 5-pw

taylormade high toe 60

taylormade spider x 

14 hours ago, Crane263 said:

For sure my cobra speed zone is at 8 but I played the 2016 m1 at 10.5 and the m3 at 9.5. I like open club faces I wear out the left side lol

I have a G410 LST and a G410 Max - One is a 10.5 and the other a 12 - I can get both set to 11.25 which is just about right for me but more of my misses are left if I'm lofting up and right if I'm lofting down.  It's pretty interesting.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

45 minutes ago, revkev said:

I have a G410 LST and a G410 Max - One is a 10.5 and the other a 12 - I can get both set to 11.25 which is just about right for me but more of my misses are left if I'm lofting up and right if I'm lofting down.  It's pretty interesting.  

Because lofting down is partially accomplished by opening the face and lofting up closes the face...provided you place the club on the ground as part of your setup. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 5/1/2021 at 9:55 AM, revkev said:

Yeah I tested the tsi3 and the weight all the way on the toe trying to make it more left to right but it felt really weird in the swing I’ve just come to the conclusion I have to buy higher loft and loft it down then aim up the right unless I need a 40 yard slice, cause that’s what my cut swing like to do!!

Cobra f9

titlesist u500 2 iron

srixon z forged 5-pw

taylormade high toe 60

taylormade spider x 

1 hour ago, Crane263 said:

Yeah I tested the tsi3 and the weight all the way on the toe trying to make it more left to right but it felt really weird in the swing I’ve just come to the conclusion I have to buy higher loft and loft it down then aim up the right unless I need a 40 yard slice, cause that’s what my cut swing like to do!!

My cut swing likes to hook! 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches