Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How often you replace your Wedges?

MrBandit

11 hours ago, Ed G said:

I still play wedges after several hundred rounds.

I have my favorite groove sharpenor and it works like a charm.

only need to replace the grips...

I as well have been playing the same Callaway wedges for a few years. Every now and then I regroove them with my trusty groove tool. Beats the heck out of buying new wedges every year or two. That, and I'm not overly impressed with new wedge offerings.

It used to be never, I had the same wedges forever. But then I read the study that your wedges start to lose spin after 75 rounds and they should be replaced after like 150 rounds. This rate also varies based on how much practice you do, how much bunker practice you do, etc. So now about every 3 years.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Golf club companies are in the business of selling clubs:  consider the possibility their recommendations may be influenced by corporate greed.  

I stick with my old friends - same wedges as several years ago, BUT I use a groove tool to dress the groove edges.    The tool does NOT change groove depth or contour, it sharpens the edges.    Since I don't play for a million dollars every weekend, I am not concerned about minor groove work.   

It depends on how you use your wedges.  If you are player that hits full shots and rely on the ball "hopping and stopping", then you will probably want to replace wedges frequently; at least yearly depending on how much practice you do.

OTOH, a player like me who doesn't have a high swing speed and never hits a full shot with either my SW or LW can go years before replacing them.  I use my LW on most holes I play because I miss a lot of greens with long approaches.  My short game is bump and run or short pitches.  Even though I play quite a bit, my LW doesn't show much groove wear after 2 years.  I have worn the chrome finish off the sole from bunker play.  My SW is really a specialty wedge; only used for thick rough and long-ish greenside bunker shots.

I used to have no preference for wedges, then I played the SCOR wedges with the v-sole.  Took so getting used to but I liked them, but didn't care for the replacement Ben Hogan version.  I thought I would change to the Cleveland CBX style; several people I play with like them, but I liked the look of the Callaway 2019 PM Grind and decided to give a 60º a try... loved it, so ordered a 54º to match.  I don't see any reason to change brands, and since I haven't seen a replacement wedge from Callaway, I bought another 60º on sale... just in case.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think for me what I found, its the bounce and feel of my current wedges is what I need to keep. But maybe like alot of you have mention here, use some kind of grove sharpener to get them back to where they where.
I used both by 56, 60 degrees every round, either taken shots from 100yds in, or around the greens when I miss them (often) .

There are so many types of wedges out there, and everyone says there Wedge is the best.. Just like the drivers, every year you gain 10yds, by now, I should be carrying 300yds.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

It really depends on the club.  I primarily use my 56 Vokey, so it gets replaced at least every other year.  Gap wedge (50 degree Vokey) is next at 2.5 yrs typically (with more full swing shots, it's easier to see the gap wedge's performance start to drop off).  Last is usually the loft wedge (60 degree Vokey) due to me not using it as much as the other 2.

Titleist TS3 driver (Aldila Rogue Silver, X-flex)

Titleist TS3 3-wood (Tensei White, X-flex)

Titleist 917 hybrid (Evenflow, X-flex)

Titleist AP-3 4-PW (KBS C-Taper Tour 130)

Vokey 50, 56, 60 (WedgeWorks shafts)

Scotty Newport 2

Titleist ProV1-X (previous gen)

Ping Hoofer bag

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, MrBandit said:

How often do you replace your wedges? Once a year? When a new model comes out?
groves are worn?

And do you stay with the same ones, or do you go an try a different brand.?

So I replace mine every year to year and a half, granted I live in northern Michigan and can’t play quite as much as others.  Personally I like to practice my short game so my 54* and 58* do get a lot of use.  That being said I do not just buy because there is something new, I have used a Ping 54* Standard grind (SS) and 58TS since the Tour S came out.  It’s been a while but I am so comfortable with them I don’t want to switch.  

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 12:49 PM, MrBandit said:

I think I have my Cleveland RTX4 wedges for over a year now.. that's about 85-90 rounds with them so far.. I have notice they lost that loving feeling of stopping alot sooner now they are rolling alot more than before..

That is a great video.. thanks for sharing.

I have those same wedges in raw, and with about the same number of rounds on them. The grooves look and feel fine to me, but like you, I am not getting any bite on them. I'm thinking it's time for some new ones. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 8.5* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 65 (6.5)

Woods: Turner H-2 3W, 5W, 7W Aldila NV 65 Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: King F8 6i - PW Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 3 50*, 54*, 60* Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :scotty-small: Futura 5W

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 Cart bag

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

Rangefinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Tracker: :ShotScope: ShotScope V2 

My Cleveland's are about 12 years old but I did stop playing a few months after getting them.

They'll see me through this season and I may look to do a proper bag fit next year as most of my current bag is off eBay 😆

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

I play or practice most days of the year and use a lob wedge for 99% of my shots inside 70 yards or so. It is usually replaced once a year. The others I can stretch out longer. Gap is usually changed when irons are changed. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

So this topic came up over the weekend.  I have new wedges, about four months old, for the first time in 5 or 6 years.  I have had tons of trouble with the 53 which was my go to wedge in my old set.  On number 10 I hit what looked like the most beautiful little pitch shot out of rough over the false front of an elevated green and thought it would run out to the pin - it stopped dead 12 feet short of the hole - not the shot that I was looking for 😞  Good news was that I made the putt but still.  Two holes later I had a very similar pitch only from the fairway, should be much easier to stop, I thought that I nipped it clean and it rolled 10 feet past the cup - granted it is Florida and grain comes into play but I am on the verge of putting the old wedge back in.  I could still spin it some but not so much as this one.  I'm really struggling with dialing in the new grooves.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Now you guys have me putting my old wedges in the bag…… aghhhh

At least I have enough equipment in the closest that I can do this with buying anything. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 6/16/2021 at 12:16 PM, revkev said:

So this topic came up over the weekend.  I have new wedges, about four months old, for the first time in 5 or 6 years.  I have had tons of trouble with the 53 which was my go to wedge in my old set.  On number 10 I hit what looked like the most beautiful little pitch shot out of rough over the false front of an elevated green and thought it would run out to the pin - it stopped dead 12 feet short of the hole - not the shot that I was looking for 😞  Good news was that I made the putt but still.  Two holes later I had a very similar pitch only from the fairway, should be much easier to stop, I thought that I nipped it clean and it rolled 10 feet past the cup - granted it is Florida and grain comes into play but I am on the verge of putting the old wedge back in.  I could still spin it some but not so much as this one.  I'm really struggling with dialing in the new grooves.

One thing you can do to combat new grooves is hit a bunch of bunker shots. Usually you only have to do it in the beginning and it will take the "edge" off. Sand does wonders to grooves. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Great topic. I've been playing the same TM wedges for about 6 years, but I don't have the same wear and tear. I have a 60 degree oil can vokey in my office that seems to have some face roughness due to the rust on it, and I may put that back in my bag. The topic gets me thinking it's likely time to at least update my 56

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

43 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

One thing you can do to combat new grooves is hit a bunch of bunker shots. Usually you only have to do it in the beginning and it will take the "edge" off. Sand does wonders to grooves. 

I also prefer the smaller footprint of the SCORS - 

we will see - for now they are back in and I will give the Edison’s another try at the end of the season - I just haven’t had enough time to practice with them. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

8 minutes ago, revkev said:

I also prefer the smaller footprint of the SCORS - 

we will see - for now they are back in and I will give the Edison’s another try at the end of the season - I just haven’t had enough time to practice with them. 

I thought the SCORS where no longer been made.

The Edison wedges I have heard good things , never actually seen one or hit one, this could be something to look at for next year.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)

6 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

I thought the SCORS where no longer been made.

The Edison wedges I have heard good things , never actually seen one or hit one, this could be something to look at for next year.

When they stopped making SCORs, they became the Ben Hogan Tkt15’s.  I know, because I have a set in my closet.  They played exactly like the SCOR’s, with the V-sole.  If I get tiered of my Cleveland Zipcores(50*/54*/58*) I will put the Tkt15’s back in the bag.

I have Scor wedges, 41/45/49/53/57 with Genius 10 shafts.  My Hogans have Recoil 460 shafts(64 gram) and my Zipcores have DGSpinner shafts(123 gram).  I know there is a big weight difference, for now I have adjusted to the 123 gram Zipcores.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

2 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

When they stopped making SCORs, they became the Ben Hogan Tkt15’s.  I know, because I have a set in my closet.  They played exactly like the SCOR’s, with the V-sole.  If I get tiered of my Cleveland Zipcores(50*/54*/58*) I will put the Tkt15’s back in the bag.

I have Scor wedges, 41/45/49/53/57 with Genius 10 shafts.  My Hogans have Recoil 460 shafts(64 gram) and my Zipcores have DGSpinner shafts(123 gram).  I know there is a big weight difference, for now I have adjusted to the 123 gram Zipcores.

I currently using the Cleveland's RTX4 RAW., I was thinking of moving over to the ZipCores but couldn't decided if there was significant gains from this new version.

1 hour ago, MrBandit said:

I currently using the Cleveland's RTX4 RAW., I was thinking of moving over to the ZipCores but couldn't decided if there was significant gains from this new version.

If you are hitting them well, no need to change.  The big difference between the Rtx4 and Zipcore is weight.  They removed weight from the heel and placed it up the blade making a hump on the back of the shaft.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 6/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, fozcycle said:

If you are hitting them well, no need to change.  The big difference between the Rtx4 and ZipCore is weight.  They removed weight from the heel and placed it up the blade making a hump on the back of the shaft.

I play the RTX 4 in a gap and this does very well, but I have just put a ZipCore 58* full face wedge in the bag . I am impressed with the feel and ease of the Zipcore.

Considering upgrading  the southern bag with the ZipCore,  Very satisfied with the Cleveland wedges. 

Recently received my raw Zipcores, and man I was missing the spin of fresher grooves on the quick greens I play. I've been able to hit some really nice low spinners on some front to back sloped greens that are always tough to hold, and have a bit more control out of the rough. My RTX3 was trying to hang in there, and my CG15 was dead. Glad to have the control of new wedges back, and still working on how my custom grinds can best be used. 

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1