Jump to content

How often you replace your Wedges?


MrBandit
 Share

Recommended Posts

I love the "bite" and stop of a good wedge shot. I just run my groove tool every 3-4 months and I'm a happy guy!

  • Like 1

:taylormade-small: Driver SLDR

:cleveland-small: 3 Wood

:taylormade-small: Hybrids 3,4,5

:titelist-small: Irons 6 to GW

:ping-small: SW

PXG LW

:odyssey-small: 2ball putter

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this topic came up over the weekend.  I have new wedges, about four months old, for the first time in 5 or 6 years.  I have had tons of trouble with the 53 which was my go to wedge in my old set.  On number 10 I hit what looked like the most beautiful little pitch shot out of rough over the false front of an elevated green and thought it would run out to the pin - it stopped dead 12 feet short of the hole - not the shot that I was looking for 😞  Good news was that I made the putt but still.  Two holes later I had a very similar pitch only from the fairway, should be much easier to stop, I thought that I nipped it clean and it rolled 10 feet past the cup - granted it is Florida and grain comes into play but I am on the verge of putting the old wedge back in.  I could still spin it some but not so much as this one.  I'm really struggling with dialing in the new grooves.

 

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now you guys have me putting my old wedges in the bag…… aghhhh

 

At least I have enough equipment in the closest that I can do this with buying anything. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2021 at 12:16 PM, revkev said:

So this topic came up over the weekend.  I have new wedges, about four months old, for the first time in 5 or 6 years.  I have had tons of trouble with the 53 which was my go to wedge in my old set.  On number 10 I hit what looked like the most beautiful little pitch shot out of rough over the false front of an elevated green and thought it would run out to the pin - it stopped dead 12 feet short of the hole - not the shot that I was looking for 😞  Good news was that I made the putt but still.  Two holes later I had a very similar pitch only from the fairway, should be much easier to stop, I thought that I nipped it clean and it rolled 10 feet past the cup - granted it is Florida and grain comes into play but I am on the verge of putting the old wedge back in.  I could still spin it some but not so much as this one.  I'm really struggling with dialing in the new grooves.

 

One thing you can do to combat new grooves is hit a bunch of bunker shots. Usually you only have to do it in the beginning and it will take the "edge" off. Sand does wonders to grooves. 

  • Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great topic. I've been playing the same TM wedges for about 6 years, but I don't have the same wear and tear. I have a 60 degree oil can vokey in my office that seems to have some face roughness due to the rust on it, and I may put that back in my bag. The topic gets me thinking it's likely time to at least update my 56

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.ffe2bc6ecfce45bb7b4540265b039131.png TS3 8 degree 

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree 

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

One thing you can do to combat new grooves is hit a bunch of bunker shots. Usually you only have to do it in the beginning and it will take the "edge" off. Sand does wonders to grooves. 

I also prefer the smaller footprint of the SCORS - 

 

we will see - for now they are back in and I will give the Edison’s another try at the end of the season - I just haven’t had enough time to practice with them. 

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, revkev said:

I also prefer the smaller footprint of the SCORS - 

 

we will see - for now they are back in and I will give the Edison’s another try at the end of the season - I just haven’t had enough time to practice with them. 

I thought the SCORS where no longer been made.

The Edison wedges I have heard good things , never actually seen one or hit one, this could be something to look at for next year.

  • Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade Stealth HD - 9.0 with  NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  SUB70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: TourEdge Exotic C721 with KBS 80 Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 stiff
Wedges: Taylormade MG3 - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s, 34in
Balls: TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:   LX5 Watch

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

I thought the SCORS where no longer been made.

The Edison wedges I have heard good things , never actually seen one or hit one, this could be something to look at for next year.

When they stopped making SCORs, they became the Ben Hogan Tkt15’s.  I know, because I have a set in my closet.  They played exactly like the SCOR’s, with the V-sole.  If I get tiered of my Cleveland Zipcores(50*/54*/58*) I will put the Tkt15’s back in the bag.

I have Scor wedges, 41/45/49/53/57 with Genius 10 shafts.  My Hogans have Recoil 460 shafts(64 gram) and my Zipcores have DGSpinner shafts(123 gram).  I know there is a big weight difference, for now I have adjusted to the 123 gram Zipcores.

  • Like 1

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and Edison forged 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Ping Ketsch

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

When they stopped making SCORs, they became the Ben Hogan Tkt15’s.  I know, because I have a set in my closet.  They played exactly like the SCOR’s, with the V-sole.  If I get tiered of my Cleveland Zipcores(50*/54*/58*) I will put the Tkt15’s back in the bag.

I have Scor wedges, 41/45/49/53/57 with Genius 10 shafts.  My Hogans have Recoil 460 shafts(64 gram) and my Zipcores have DGSpinner shafts(123 gram).  I know there is a big weight difference, for now I have adjusted to the 123 gram Zipcores.

I currently using the Cleveland's RTX4 RAW., I was thinking of moving over to the ZipCores but couldn't decided if there was significant gains from this new version.

 

Driver:  TaylorMade Stealth HD - 9.0 with  NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  SUB70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: TourEdge Exotic C721 with KBS 80 Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 stiff
Wedges: Taylormade MG3 - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s, 34in
Balls: TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:   LX5 Watch

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrBandit said:

I currently using the Cleveland's RTX4 RAW., I was thinking of moving over to the ZipCores but couldn't decided if there was significant gains from this new version.

 

If you are hitting them well, no need to change.  The big difference between the Rtx4 and Zipcore is weight.  They removed weight from the heel and placed it up the blade making a hump on the back of the shaft.

  • Like 1

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and Edison forged 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Ping Ketsch

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, fozcycle said:

If you are hitting them well, no need to change.  The big difference between the Rtx4 and ZipCore is weight.  They removed weight from the heel and placed it up the blade making a hump on the back of the shaft.

I play the RTX 4 in a gap and this does very well, but I have just put a ZipCore 58* full face wedge in the bag . I am impressed with the feel and ease of the Zipcore.

Considering upgrading  the southern bag with the ZipCore,  Very satisfied with the Cleveland wedges. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recently received my raw Zipcores, and man I was missing the spin of fresher grooves on the quick greens I play. I've been able to hit some really nice low spinners on some front to back sloped greens that are always tough to hold, and have a bit more control out of the rough. My RTX3 was trying to hang in there, and my CG15 was dead. Glad to have the control of new wedges back, and still working on how my custom grinds can best be used. 

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 SFT 9.5* w/ Ping Alta CB S

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ Ping Alta CB S

:srixon-small: z585 2i, 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab @ 33"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...