Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Matrix Ozik U11-PO1 Putter Shaft

Matt Saternus

Matrix Ozik U11-PO1 Putter Shaft Review

DSCN1084.JPG

Introduction

Ever think about the shaft in your putter? Probably not. As much of a putter junkie as I am, I didn't either until I saw a spy pic of the Matrix Ozik Prototype U11-PO1 putter shaft. That got me to wondering, “Can a putter shaft make a difference in feel or performance? And, more importantly, does that look as cool in person as it does in the pictures?”

After spending some time with the U11-PO1 in my longtime gamer, I'm ready to answer both questions. Read on, spies…

DSCN1080.JPG

Feel

The shaft weighs 135 grams uncut. This is substantially more than your average steel putter shaft. When I installed the shaft in my gamer, it added about 20 grams to the static weight. What's interesting is that the swingweight barely changed. For me, this was perfect because I really liked the swingweight of my putter the way it was. That said, the increased weight is noticeable and it's a welcome change.

The U11-PO1 was installed in a Hogan-era Bettinardi BB1 that I have gamed consistently for the last two years. After I hit the first putt with the Matrix shaft, the first word that came to my mind was, “Clean.” That word has stayed in my mind as I've continued to spend time with this new combo as it is the best way I can describe the feedback. With the steel shaft, there was always a little extra feedback around the hit, similar to faint static on a radio signal. With the U11-PO1, that little “extra” is gone, replaced by a very clear sense of where the ball hit the putter face.

Beyond the “clean-ness” of the feedback, the feel off this shaft is extremely soft. Golfers who might be particularly interested in this are those who love the feel of carbon steel putters, but hate the maintenance. I can imagine that this shaft in a stainless steel head would give golfers the best of both worlds: buttery feel with zero maintenance.

DSCN1083.JPG

Performance

I've had this shaft in my putter for a couple of rounds and many practice sessions. As I mentioned before, the putter is heavier overall, and that seems to be helping my distance control. On my most recent outing, I did not even sniff a 3-putt: everything was either holed or left at kick-in range. Given that I often leave long putts 3 to 5 feet short, this was a welcome change.

While I had the extra static weight that I desired, I did not get the “head heavy” feel that I hate. When a putter head gets too heavy, I feel like I lose my touch on short putts and downhill putts. That was not the case with the U11-PO1 at all; if anything, my touch was improved.

Matrix says that the softer feel that this shaft produces also lessens dispersion. While I do not have any data to show decreased dispersion, I can say that I am hitting my lines as much or more than ever before.

All in all, I am very happy with the performance of the U11-PO1, and it will be staying in the bag. The only question that I have to reckon with now is what putter I am going to keep it in: the old gamer or the new contender…

DSCN1087.JPG

DSCN1088.JPG

Miscellaneous Notes

Currently the U11-PO1 is only available at 135 grams in either a black or white paint scheme. It can only be installed in plumbers neck putters, though that may expand as time goes on. The U11-PO1 is available through any Matrix retailer, and is increasingly available direct from high end putter makers.

DSCN1089.JPG

Value

The U11-PO1 has an MSRP of $165. My guess is that people's reaction to this is going to be pretty extreme, with very little middle ground. The “I'll never spend more than $50 on a putter!” crowd is going to be aghast, and nothing I say could convince them to try it (not that it's my goal to convince you of anything). For the putter aficionados who routinely spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a flatstick, this might be viewed as a relatively inexpensive upgrade. As ever, value is purely in the eye of the beholder, but I will say that this shaft does make a difference in terms of feel and performance.

DSCN1093.JPG

Conclusion

It should be obvious that I am quite impressed by the Matrix U11-PO1 putter shaft. The feel is very soft and very clean, and the performance has been outstanding. The shaft adds some weight to the putter, but without boosting the swing weight and making it head heavy. I should also take a second to answer my second question from the introduction: Yes, it does look as cool in person as it does in the pictures, if not more so.

One word of warning: if you do decide to put this shaft in your putter, expect a lot of lame jokes. “Is it low torque? Will it bring down my ballflight? How much ballspeed are you getting with that?” But please, don't let dumb jokes deter you. For those of you looking to soften the feel of your putter, or just trying to breathe some new life into an old favorite, check out the Matrix Ozik U11-PO1 putter shaft.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 4 weeks later...

Is that grip purposely clocked 5 degrees open or is that just the pic playing a trick?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you used the UST FF putter shaft ? Wonder how they both compare ?

I have not used the UST FF, though I have read that some people think that the UST mutes the feeling of the putter too much. As I said in the review, the feel of this shaft is very "clean" but you still get nice feedback.

Any issue putting this shaft into a .370 head? I'm not sure what Betti's take but I'd love to try this out in the Cobra head I've got kicking around.

I can tell you that it's a very thick tip section that (I believe) only works on plumber's neck putters. I didn't measure the actual size of the tip, sorry.

I have been playing a Newport Detour with a Fuji PT 110 for over 2 years now. The weight changed on my a little(heavier by 2 points d3 to d5) but the feel of where the putter head is fantastic.

MY club builder had to shave the tip a little to fit in the plumbers neck. I am sure if they use shims it could will fit in a .370 head. I have seen on the tour putting greens, Betti's with the Martix shaft in them.

• 4 weeks later...

The UST fraquebcy filter is designed to dampen vibrations to give more precise feedback. The problem is when ones goes and installs one in a he's that's got an insert they're reducing feedback even more. Then throw a softer grip on it (Winn, Iomic, etc) and you dampen it again making it feel sloppy. Paired with the right head and grip, the shaft works very well. Grip and head selection, though, are VITAL. Why do you think Machine uses their milled aluminum grip on them a lot? Dave Billings is a smart dude and understands what the shaft does, and how it functions, that's why.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

As far as graphite in a putter goes, it's nothing new. Yonex was doing it in the 80's.

In The Bag

Archived