TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chisag's Tip Of The Day #21

This is a great reminder to be willing to change those keys. Right now what is working is a key from a Mark Crossfield video about transferring your weight more to your front toes. This really helped my contact recently with the irons. I am sure this will stop working and then like you said might need to feel like I hang back if I over do it. Even in my short golfing career I have used countless keys and I am sure the list will only grow.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

You're spot on with this. Any time I have found a swing fix, I have sent it to myself in a long running email thread with myself. It's now pages and pages long. 

The one thought that always seems to help is for me to take fuller body turns in the backswing and swing easy but not lazy. Lazy swing results in me leaving the face open. 

- Raj

HDCP 12
Driver - Taylormade M5 9 - HZRDUS Smoke S
Irons - Ping i200 AWT 2 stiff shafts
Wedges - Titleist Vokeys 50, 55, 60
Putter - Odyssey Fang 2 Ball

My feeling on this is that swing keys are different for pros and high level ams than they are for mid- to high handicaps.  If a player knows they have a solid, repeatable swing, they are able to incorporate a new swing key, maybe to their advantage... or maybe not; they can move on.  However, a player that struggles to find a good, repeatable swing has swing flaws.  Introducing something new that seems like a good tip at the time is probably a bandaid that likely causes more problems to fix down the road.  

We all want to find that "something," but sticking with a plan from a qualified coach usually leads to better results in the long run.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sam's advice is exactly why I keep one of these in the bag 🙂

rolldex.jpg.29dc6a06fd567463957349ec1546682a.jpg

It's really crazy when you think about the plethora of golf tips available.  One that I am pretty much married too however is saying the word "swing tempo" and/or "slow down" before every shot - as being too fast is a gremlin that never goes away.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

My feeling on this is that swing keys are different for pros and high level ams than they are for mid- to high handicaps.  If a player knows they have a solid, repeatable swing, they are able to incorporate a new swing key, maybe to their advantage... or maybe not; they can move on.  However, a player that struggles to find a good, repeatable swing has swing flaws.  Introducing something new that seems like a good tip at the time is probably a bandaid that likely causes more problems to fix down the road.  

We all want to find that "something," but sticking with a plan from a qualified coach usually leads to better results in the long run.

... Kenny I am talking about bandaids which can be very helpful temporarily and I was a little shocked to hear Magee say the same thing. Magee said he was pulling the ball a little left and found a swing key that helped him get his normal ball flight back and helped him win that week. He also abandoned it the next day on the range because it wasn't working. Every day is different. Something as simple as aiming further right can help find the fairway. There is a reason you are missing left but you can't usually fix that in the middle of a round and the swing key of just aiming more to the right works for that round. The next day it may not work so of course a solid swing and having a plan from a coach to engrain the fundamentals is always the goal, but sometimes when things are just not working on any given day, a temporary swing key can really help. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Date but don't marry.
Chisag, I like your metaphor, and would like to extend it.

I have a harem of swing keys, keys I have married because they do work for me -- even if only some of the time.

I understand impact and what I want the clubhead and even the shaft to be doing at impact. To a lesser extent, but still a useful extent, I understand my own swing and its flaws, and enough physics to understand what should be happening in the swing. Most days, the keys I bring to the course don't work well. But after a few holes, I understand what is wrong with my swing that day, and look in the harem for the most attractive swing key to fix it. Usually it works, but sometimes it takes me too long to find the right key.

This past Friday was a case in point. The first five holes I was 5 over par. The remaining thirteen I was 2 over par. I found the keys that worked for the day.

Some day I'll get to the course early enough to sort that out on the range.😏

As a mid-/high handicapper I will admit to using swing keys, buuuut... ONLY ones directly from the instructor that I've been seeing regularly since the end of last Summer, and then only a very specific one or two that we've focused on in our most recent lesson(s). Two good examples (*that work for me, from my lessons .. NOT recommending these to anyone else!) are - (1) what he terms "Sway to Target", which is just as it sounds = move target-ward on the downswing, into and through impact; and (2) extend the wrists "down" into and at impact, as I have a (bad) tendency to cup them (as I "hit at" the ball vs swinging through it; adds loft and also tends to open the face).

A good friend of mine is one of those guys spending time at night on Facebook and YouTube searching for "The Answer" .. and it's sad to see him still frustrated out on the course .. despite having started a series of lessons himself..!! 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg