Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What Callaway driver is comparable to the SIM2 Max?

The stare

I just attended a demo day for TaylorMade at my club.  The Callaway demo day isn't for another 3 weeks.  My best results so far are with a SIM2 Max.  While I am demoing Callaway clubs in anticipation of its demo day, I am curious which of the new Callaway drivers is closest to the SIM2 Max.  Thanks.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 with Tensei AV Blue 55 Graphite shaft

3W - TaylorMade M2

7W - Ping G425 Max

5i-AW Callaway Rogue ST Max

50 degree wedge - TBD

54 degree wedge - Callaway Mack Daddy 2 chrome

58 degree wedge - Callaway Mack Daddy 2 chrome

Putter - 34 " Odyssey Tuttle stroke lab

Callaway will probably tell you the Epic Max is the most similar in profile but I would make sure you keep an open mind before you test the Callaway equipment as you never know what might work for you.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

4 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Callaway will probably tell you the Epic Max is the most similar in profile but I would make sure you keep an open mind before you test the Callaway equipment as you never know what might work for you.

Yup could be the epic Max or either of the non ls mavrik drivers.

What type of driver that works in one brand may not work in another 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Well, I just went through demo/fitting and between the SIM2 Max and the Epic Max, it was not even close; Epic Max much better.  YMMV

What made it much better? Longer, straighter? Did you test them both under similar conditions? Inquiring minds want to know!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

2 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

What made it much better? Longer, straighter? Did you test them both under similar conditions? Inquiring minds want to know!

I tried the Callaway Epic Max, TM SIM2 Max, Ping G425, and Titleist TSi2.  I really wanted the Titleist to be the club; I hit it locally but they don't have a launch monitor, and it was difficult to see whether it was any longer than my 6-year old Bridgestone.  The store here in town didn't have any Ping drivers... none!!

IMG_1388.jpeg.06834c9c89556fc420e075a13b419d81.jpeg

I also tried the Cobra King Radspeed at home but it didn't feel as good as the TSi2,  I hadn't tried the SIM2 Max.  

I've been to the golf shop in Beaverton, OR many times and the people there are very nice.  They have 4 stations with Trackman hitting out to the driving range.  Of the 4 drivers I tried, sadly the TSi2 was the shortest followed closely by the SIM2 Max.  I don't have a problem with straight; just distance challenged.  🙄  The Epic Max was consistently the longest; the G425 was a very close second, but felt heavier.  The best drive with my Bridgestone was about the average drive with the Epic Max.  My Bridgestone has a 64g shaft and it is 3/4 inch shorter; it is a great fairway finder, but I need more distance.  The Epic Max has a Project X 5.0 R 50gram shaft.  Ball speed was up to 6 mph faster.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I tried the Callaway Epic Max, TM SIM2 Max, Ping G425, and Titleist TSi2.  I really wanted the Titleist to be the club; I hit it locally but they don't have a launch monitor, and it was difficult to see whether it was any longer than my 6-year old Bridgestone.  The store here in town didn't have any Ping drivers... none!!

IMG_1388.jpeg.06834c9c89556fc420e075a13b419d81.jpeg

I also tried the Cobra King Radspeed at home but it didn't feel as good as the TSi2,  I hadn't tried the SIM2 Max.  

I've been to the golf shop in Beaverton, OR many times and the people there are very nice.  They have 4 stations with Trackman hitting out to the driving range.  Of the 4 drivers I tried, sadly the TSi2 was the shortest followed closely by the SIM2 Max.  I don't have a problem with straight; just distance challenged.  🙄  The Epic Max was consistently the longest; the G425 was a very close second, but felt heavier.  The best drive with my Bridgestone was about the average drive with the Epic Max.  My Bridgestone has a 64g shaft and it is 3/4 inch shorter; it is a great fairway finder, but I need more distance.  The Epic Max has a Project X 5.0 R 50gram shaft.  Ball speed was up to 6 mph faster.

After seeing you in action with it, definitely on my list for my fitting next week

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

4 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

After seeing you in action with it, definitely on my list for my fitting next week

I think the key will be getting the correct shaft for you.  I think you have more options with your swing speed; not much off the rack for slow swingers.

I didn't hit the ball that well when we played on Thursday; mostly low on the club face which I tend to do a lot anyway.  I can get away with it at home with firm dry fairways, but not on wet fairways in Portland!!  On the Trackman my attack angle was around 4º up, and I tend to miss the sweet spot low.  I did hit a few drives that were good; the best one toward the end of the round (can't remember which hole) where you hit the tree on your second shot.  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I think the key will be getting the correct shaft for you.  I think you have more options with your swing speed; not much off the rack for slow swingers.

I didn't hit the ball that well when we played on Thursday; mostly low on the club face which I tend to do a lot anyway.  I can get away with it at home with firm dry fairways, but not on wet fairways in Portland!!  On the Trackman my attack angle was around 4º up, and I tend to miss the sweet spot low.  I did hit a few drives that were good; the best one toward the end of the round (can't remember which hole) where you hit the tree on your second shot.  😂

Haha. 17. You out drove me since I topped my drive. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I did a fitting last year and at least for 2020 SIM Max and Mavrik were considered similar SIM Max OS was more like the Mavrik Max cause of draw bias. My numbers aligned with Mavrik but my friend getting fitted in bay next door had his align w SIM it’s very personal (but also all very close usually)

Mike Thibideau
Driver: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5
4-wood: :callaway-small: Epic Speed 16.5 
4-hybrid: :taylormade-small: R15 21
Irons 5-P: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max
Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 46, 50, 54, 60
Shoes: :travis-mathew-1:MoneyMaker, Nike Roche G
Glove: Asher Golf
Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft, :callaway-small: Supersoft (conditions dependent)

I have a Sim Max and bought a Srixon ZX5 with the same shaft.  I'm back using the Sim Max.  My 2 cents.

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

The shaft will play more into your performance than the head choice regardless of which head you go with. Last year when I landed a G425 LST I put it against a new TSi2 and built a pair of Atmos TS Black shafts so my head-to-head testing would be on a level playing field. To my surprise, the TSi2 outperformed the G425 in a Trackman. I got curious and built a pair of Motore X F1 shafts (my 2020 gamer in a Mavrik) and the results were the opposite with the G425 coming out on top in all categories. Shaft choice is of equal, if not greater importance IMO, but as with all things....YMMV. 

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

I still have a lot to try out, but thus far Epic Max LS and TS3 are the front runners and closest to my gamer MavRik SZ.  I tried the SIM2 and SIM2 Max and they were not anywhere near the others.  I like the look, but just could not seem to get the spin down and other launch conditions right with it.  

Cobra is very high on my list when I can get to the golf store next.  Ping has never quite done it for me. Similar to Taylormade, just doesn't gel with me for some reason.

2 hours ago, Shank Aaron said:

Shaft choice is of equal, if not greater importance IMO

Agree with you that it's close to equal.  I can have a 20 yard descrepency just due to how I'm delivering the club.  I think head does play a vital role based on headweight and technology. The drivers are just so good now that if properly fitted, there likely will not be a gigantic difference.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I have a demo day next Saturday at my club. I love my driver but who can't resist the desire to swing something new. Going to try out the latest Titleist, Callaway and Cobra drivers. Going to spend some time on the Cobra irons too ( just in case I am selected for the Cobra Connect Challenge... Hint Hint).  I rather hit outdoors to see the actual flight characteristics. They will have Trackman there for data.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Thanks for all of the replies.  At the TaylorMade fitting, they recommended the SIM2 Max, but didn't send me the numbers from the trackman.  I am going to attend the Callaway demo day at my club in two weeks.  Any suggestions on how best to compare two clubs that I hit three weeks apart and that I don't have data to compare?  How would you judge which club is best?  Thanks.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 with Tensei AV Blue 55 Graphite shaft

3W - TaylorMade M2

7W - Ping G425 Max

5i-AW Callaway Rogue ST Max

50 degree wedge - TBD

54 degree wedge - Callaway Mack Daddy 2 chrome

58 degree wedge - Callaway Mack Daddy 2 chrome

Putter - 34 " Odyssey Tuttle stroke lab

51 minutes ago, The stare said:

Thanks for all of the replies.  At the TaylorMade fitting, they recommended the SIM2 Max, but didn't send me the numbers from the trackman.  I am going to attend the Callaway demo day at my club in two weeks.  Any suggestions on how best to compare two clubs that I hit three weeks apart and that I don't have data to compare?  How would you judge which club is best?  Thanks.

Since you are doing it at your club you have reference points of what the ball flight looked like during your TaylorMade fitting and where the ball was landing.

Compare what you see with the Callaway driver(s) to what you saw with the sim2 Max. Also compare how the club itself looks how the sound compares and how the overall feeling of the club is in the swing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 5/5/2021 at 12:17 PM, The stare said:

IMHO, how far you can hit any driver is irrelevant if you cant hit your second shot from the fairway. Long ball hitters.....the woods are full of them. 

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

19 minutes ago, Shank Aaron said:

IMHO, how far you can hit any driver is irrelevant if you cant hit your second shot from the fairway. Long ball hitters.....the woods are full of them. 

1732159103_Screenshot2021-05-10100546.jpg.3bc5af98a5a1b8a7cad9200e7f3c550a.jpg

5 fairways and best ball striking day in over 2 years. IMO there is not a more overrated thing than fairways. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

24 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

1732159103_Screenshot2021-05-10100546.jpg.3bc5af98a5a1b8a7cad9200e7f3c550a.jpg

5 fairways and best ball striking day in over 2 years. IMO there is not a more overrated thing than fairways. 

LOL, you're using Rors as the baseline to dispel the notion "not hitting from the woods will improve your scores"? Love the "Get off my lawn" guys. If the "fairway" portion of my comment is what you're hung up on, I'm happy to change it to "anywhere other than the woods, shrubbery, or Karen's backyard.". 

1 minute ago, Shank Aaron said:

LOL, you're using Rors as the baseline to dispel the notion "not hitting from the woods will improve your scores"? Love the "Get off my lawn" guys. If the "fairway" portion of my comment is what you're hung up on, I'm happy to change it to "anywhere other than the woods, shrubbery, or Karen's backyard.". 

How many examples would you like me to give you? What you said has been proven multiple times to be categorically false. You can continue to believe it, however calling me a Karen or a get off my lawn guy is comical.  

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 minute ago, THEZIPR23 said:

How many examples would you like me to give you? What you said has been proven multiple times to be categorically false. You can continue to believe it, however calling me a Karen or a get off my lawn guy is comical.  

Wait, hitting your second shot from the woods improves your scores? So I've been doing it right all of these years? 

On 5/5/2021 at 11:17 AM, The stare said:

Get the rep’s name from where you did the fitting and ask him to send your numbers. If they created a man entry in the Trackman with your specific name, it should still be in there. I’ve called reps and got the numbers this way before.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

From everything I've seen / read /tested this year the Sim 2 seems to be bottomline in all the testing vs other brand out there. Last year it was a beast but this year it became the runt of the pack. In every fitting i've Assisted, watched or read, the fitter always come up with something else WAY better than what sim2 can offer.

Ping G425 seems to do well in testing/fitting despite his position in the most wanted driver test. Their shaft choice seems to help a lot for specific player.

Callaway is the king this year I think but I'm surprised on how well titleist seems to be doing. They are a very close 2nd I think.

Cobra as usual always do well AND always cost less.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:17 PM, The stare said:

That’s odd, I had a TMag fitting on Weds and the next morning had all of my numbers plus the fitters recommendation. Very helpful. 

Back to Kenny’s comments when you tried the Sim2 which shaft did you have in it? It was meh for me at first and then it popped with the Ventus in and was complete money in the bank once he opened the face a click. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

9 hours ago, revkev said:

That’s odd, I had a TMag fitting on Weds and the next morning had all of my numbers plus the fitters recommendation. Very helpful. 

Back to Kenny’s comments when you tried the Sim2 which shaft did you have in it? It was meh for me at first and then it popped with the Ventus in and was complete money in the bank once he opened the face a click. 

The Sim2 Max D was almost on the numbers with my 410 when I did a fitting at CC, of course it wasn't a stock shaft (best one was a 50g Oban Devotion). I might do a abbreviated fitting with the SIM this summer at my Indie and see what stock shaft works. I really liked the look, feel and sound of the SIM.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart